07-08-13 04:32 PM
394 ... 13141516
tools
    I was about to buy a Q10 when I finally got to play with one in a Verizon store in Ruston LA. Hadn't found a live one in Best Buy or other Verizon stores I tried across North LA. But once I played with it I knew it wasn't going to work for me. I would miss the track pad and I liked the way the Z10 felt and typed. This was Thursday last week and I planned to make the purchase the next day. Then Friday happened.

The long and short of it is, I'm done. After years of a combination of management over promising and underdelivering plus ignoring the desires of their loyal customers they've worn me down and I'm giving up. My 9930 has been a durable machine that has stood the test of being a great business phone I can take with me out on the farm. So that's what I focused on. I settled on the new Casio Commando 4g with an extended battery. In my office I have used OfficeCalendar to syncOutlook across my peer-to-peer network of 5 computers plus wirelessly sync my 9930. It will work with the new Commando so I'll avoid running my client stuff through either Google or Apple's data mining repositiories. (Additional plug for OfficeCalendar....they don't sell the data they host for customers.)

With the exception of a 3 week flirtation about 4 years ago with an Incredible, (when I got frustrated last time) BlackBerry has been the only smart phone I've used. After approx 8 years of loyalty, I'll miss the brand. If someone buys them out maybe they'll do a better job with meeting customer wishes, desires and demands. If they do, maybe I'll look at coming back. But TH didn't get the job done and I no longer believe he can. It's over.
    Beautifully said. 100% agreed!
    NYC10065 likes this.
    07-02-13 05:04 PM
    I have no idea. I don't keep track of these things. This is where I think the original poster got the 600,000 figure from. I think what the poster was trying to get at was that they lost 600,000 subscribers. I would imagine there would be numbers going to BB10 but I would also imagine there are numbers that abandoned ship.

Where do see that it was 600,000 legacy device users in the first place?
    Actually, the poster that brought this up originally specifically said it was 600k bb10 users lost, which is different from "unspecified" bb users. I have no issue with reporting bad news, as long as it's accurate bad news.

Posted via CB10

Edit: and thanks for finding the link
    07-02-13 05:07 PM
    The title of the article doesn't reveal what inside the article, I understand that people are skeptical about BB, 2 big OS took over the market while BB was on standby. I still can't find a better phone for what I do, I mean Android is cute, iOS is trendy but that is all! I understand that the general public like those because they are cute and trendy, A Smartphone for me is to make PhoneCalls, send/receive emails have a couple fun apps, games from every now and then...
    The downfall of BB are precisely it's MARKETING sucks @ss, no offense but the message doesnt get thru in the US and they also need to focus of "People's Apps" the main ones, and finally find a way to get to match up with the new hardware and why not be a creator instead of tailing the big ones....for a change.....#CRACKBERRY ROCKS!!!
    07-02-13 05:14 PM
    The title of the article doesn't reveal what inside the article, I understand that people are skeptical about BB, 2 big OS took over the market while BB was on standby. I still can't find a better phone for what I do, I mean Android is cute, iOS is trendy but that is all! I understand that the general public like those because they are cute and trendy, A Smartphone for me is to make PhoneCalls, send/receive emails have a couple fun apps, games from every now and then...
    The downfall of BB are precisely it's MARKETING sucks @ss, no offense but the message doesnt get thru in the US and they also need to focus of "People's Apps" the main ones, and finally find a way to get to match up with the new hardware and why not be a creator instead of tailing the big ones....for a change.....#CRACKBERRY ROCKS!!!
    Your keen market insight is appreciated, Mr. Mike Lazaridis. The last five years couldn't have happened without you.
    07-02-13 05:50 PM
    I certainly wouldn't want to be buying any Blackberry shares at this stage of the game, as I expect things to deteriorate over the next several month, which means the next earnings report to come out will be just as ugly, and the stock will drop another 30% or so in a few months time.
    07-02-13 06:07 PM
    Be greedy when others are fearful be fearful when others are greedy
    07-02-13 06:14 PM
    BBRY lied? Maybe it was the citizenry that was too gullible? In this day and age, there is not much corporate announcements that shouldn't be taken with a shovel full of salt.

I have a PlayBook, heard the same announcement re BB10 coming to the PlayBook, but I went out and got me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Which by the way is laggy as h3ll.
    Perhaps you should have bought an iPad.
    07-02-13 06:19 PM
    Very simple,

Someone buys 10% then files 13F form and thats all she wrote.

Once an activist investor gets control he can call the shots on the billions of assets.

Yes its that simple at these prices.

Get ready we may all be about to see the board replaces and this company sold for pieces.

I hop it doesn't happen , but at a 5Billion market cap will billions of assets owned by shareholders...the board may want

to address the public.

See you on the 9th
    07-02-13 06:31 PM
    Actually, this is utter nonsense. Having used Android and iOS before my Lumia I can tell you WP8 is actually just as good as either of them. I won't try to say one is better than the other, as that's a matter of taste. I just know in my case I can do more quicker on my WP8 than I could on my Android or iPhone.

And WP sales are actually doing 'decent'. Yeah, they won't overtake iOS or Android, but they're doing much better than BB and in some markets they are selling like crazy.. Sorry to be a downer man, I know BB is doing bad but trying to throw a bunch of BS about WP won't make BB look any better.
    When will WP get basic features like VPN or a notification center?

Puhlease

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:33 PM
    Be greedy when others are fearful be fearful when others are greedy
    That only works with certain companies. i.e. companies who have experienced a plunge in share price due to external factors. When you have a company like Blackberry who is having trouble making a decent profit on a flagship line of mobile phones, that's not a company you want to load up on shares and just cross your fingers hoping that things turn around.
    07-02-13 06:38 PM
    OMG! I heard CNN is going under, they are in big trouble and a buy out iis near... Hey, this bull can work both ways.
    07-02-13 06:39 PM
    That only works with certain companies. i.e. companies who have experienced a plunge in share price due to external factors. When you have a company like Blackberry who is having trouble making a decent profit on a flagship line of mobile phones, that's not a company you want to load up on shares and just cross your fingers hoping that things turn around.
    External factors like paid trolls starting unfounded rumors, you mean?

BB10 blows every other OS out of the water. If not for billions of dollars in short positions against it and, yes, horrible marketing, this would be the top-selling mobile device by a long shot.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:08 PM
    External factors like paid trolls starting unfounded rumors, you mean?

BB10 blows every other OS out of the water. If not for billions of dollars in short positions against it and, yes, horrible marketing, this would be the top-selling mobile device by a long shot.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes... so simple. Thanks.

Reality check. BB10 isn't really leaps and bounds over the mobile phone OS's. I appreciate your loyalty (I have a WP8 and I am very loyal to it), but that statement is really... idiotic. iOS, Android, WP, and BB are all great mobile OS's; and any one of them will fill your needs. BB marketing might suck but so does Window's. The best marketing campaign in the world won't save BB. because honestly, it isn't much better than the other mobile OS's and it simply doesn't bring enough things to the table. BB will probably be around for awhile, it's still a decent mobile OS, so enjoy it. But stop the silly talk about how it's the best phone OS ever and would reign supreme if only they had better marketing.
    kevinnugent and NYC10065 like this.
    07-02-13 07:37 PM
    Wow, lots if panic, but not much wisdom. BlackBerry needs time, but this is a fantastic OS and the devices so far are absolutely competitive. Listening to these bozos on money programs is pointless, given that they are reactionary and wrong more often than right. The most important thing for BlackBerry to do is hold the course and market better

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:48 PM
    It is the best. Give me one meaningful metric outside of quantity of native apps, and I'll demonstrate in a scientific way how superior it is.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:49 PM
    Yes... so simple. Thanks.

Reality check. BB10 isn't really leaps and bounds over the mobile phone OS's. I appreciate your loyalty (I have a WP8 and I am very loyal to it), but that statement is really... idiotic. iOS, Android, WP, and BB are all great mobile OS's; and any one of them will fill your needs. BB marketing might suck but so does Window's. The best marketing campaign in the world won't save BB. because honestly, it isn't much better than the other mobile OS's and it simply doesn't bring enough things to the table. BB will probably be around for awhile, it's still a decent mobile OS, so enjoy it. But stop the silly talk about how it's the best phone OS ever and would reign supreme if only they had better marketing.
    I'm a realistic person and I know that in five years the mobile landscape will look different. I'm really not sure who will be number one, two, or three...
    You should expect people to talk about how it is the best phone OS ever and et cetera as you are on CrackBerry. CrackBerry is a BlackBerry fan site devoted to all things BlackBerry and many come here because the platform excites them.
    There is a reason I don't frequently visit the other Mobile Nations sites... I'm not interested in those OS and respect that people who spend money and time on a product have a right to enjoy it.
    CrackBerry is a great place to discuss all things, but, let's not chastise people for their own opinions.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:55 PM
    Well if this is it this is it.
    And I will personally stand by BB until the very end...
    Let's however put it all in perspective, the reality is that it is far too soon to even speak. What the company needs is a phone with even more powerful specs. One that will attract the divided android/windows crowd as well as the declining iphone enthusiasts. It is now or never. I hate to agree with all these articles but one cant just ignore the noise anymore.
    If nothing is done then time is truly running out.
    It is go big or go down that has been the business attitude that has made Andorid SDK and Apple IOS so successful. Windows Phone has incidentally learned from this. What are you waiting for BB?
    07-02-13 08:08 PM
    I'm a die hard blackberry user. I agree with some of your points completely. At times it's hard to hear the truth. QNX in itself has features in it that separate itself from the others. I haven't seen BlackBerry show off any of its strongest features. I felt if they pushed the envelope they would exploit the others weaknesses. They haven't advertised well. I fell that they are giving up and don't care about our loyalty. Business is business I feel they want to sell out. I hope I'm wrong but you hit many points. Where is Thor? why no capitalize the summer movie madness here in the States? They could have run an add or something like a shirt story. The reason they still stand is the loyal BlackBerry users. When they have no hope what do we as users do? BlackBerry has the ability to shine and compete. Let's go BlackBerry bring on 10.2 and a kick *** A10 with that unique feature to bring it all home!

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:14 PM
    Yes, BNN and other finical news outlets reported this last Friday. Weren't you listening?
    Since they didn't release number, you don't know.
    07-02-13 08:33 PM
    Cnn can suck a **** pause. They obviously haven't seen 10.2

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:34 PM
    I think the problem is that three months of a new operating system are EVERYTHING. That is when you want the highest pick-up: when the buzz is alive, the marketing strong and the desire for something new driving heavy sales. They haven't had it. They sold in a quarter what Apple sells in a week. It was their best shot, and it tanked. It doesn't matter what we think or say on this site. That we are even here means we generally like BB stuff, but even the most devoted fans of BB must realise that the writing is on the wall for the company as we know it. It's Palm all over again. We've seen what BB10 is, and it's good, but not good enough. The lack of apps was the killer. Instead of 70,000 shoddy apps they should have paid to nativise the top couple of hundred alls out there. There is unlikely to be any new killer features coming in 10.2. So now the shareprice goes down, and down, as it inevitably will after quarterly profits like that. Maybe TH manages to find a buyer, probably not because BB doesn't fit with many of the other major mobile makers. The Chinese might offer, but it'll probably get blocked by the Canadian takeover panel. So it's just the slow slide untli the money's gone and the company declares bankrupcy.

So sadf, and yet so easily avoidable had BB actually listened to their fans.
    07-02-13 08:35 PM
    I want you to quantify this especially when 600,000 BB10 users left BlackBerry for the competition in the past month or two, and BlackBerry no is no longer giving anyone how many BB10 users they currently have (which is a sign the number to VERY small).
    I would love to see where you got these made up numbers.
    07-02-13 08:36 PM
    CNN is basically reality TV. No real news comes from them. They went down hill fast after OJ went on the run.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:49 PM
    I'm a realistic person and I know that in five years the mobile landscape will look different. I'm really not sure who will be number one, two, or three...
    You should expect people to talk about how it is the best phone OS ever and et cetera as you are on CrackBerry. CrackBerry is a BlackBerry fan site devoted to all things BlackBerry and many come here because the platform excites them.
    There is a reason I don't frequently visit the other Mobile Nations sites... I'm not interested in those OS and respect that people who spend money and time on a product have a right to enjoy it.
    CrackBerry is a great place to discuss all things, but, let's not chastise people for their own opinions.

Posted via CB10
    Actually I didn't chastise him for his opinion. He made a statement poised as fact: "BB10 blows every other OS out of the water. If not for billions of dollars in short positions against it and, yes, horrible marketing, this would be the top-selling mobile device by a long shot.". However what I said could be construed as an opinion, and a friendly opinion IMHO: "iOS, Android, WP, and BB are all great mobile OS's; and any one of them will fill your needs." and "...BB will probably be around for awhile, it's still a decent mobile OS, so enjoy it." Yes, directly from my post and I believe that, and I do realize the mobile OS landscape could be drastically different in 5 years. I apologize if I come across as an antagonist. Part of the reason is, I was on the WP forums when WP8 launched and withstood many flame post from iOS, Android, and BB users. So maybe I am giving a little back. Another reason is, well, I am an antagonist. We're all loyal to our own devices and we all love to dig a little. Part of our techny nature I think, and most of the time it's good-natured ribbing.

Anyway, like I said, BB is a good mobile OS. Enjoy it. But try not to crow too much about how it's the best mobile OS and would rule the world is BB had better marketing. That really is just silly. But of course, that's just my opinion.
    07-02-13 08:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've actually experienced other OS's (since I've been forced to do my research post BB10) and I can't say that BB10 blows every other OS out of the water...I do agree that BB10 blows, though, in so many ways.

After a few weeks of living with my Q10 and experimenting with other OSs to check them out, I am pretty sure the last thing keeping me on BlackBerry is the qwerty keyboard.

BB10 has actually proven to me that minus the legacy features, BB10 is no different than Android or iOS and minus the apps is actually noticeably inferior.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 09:24 PM
394 ... 13141516