07-08-13 03:32 PM
394 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    No, they haven't. The big boys still play with big toys, ie BlackBerry. Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, is a BlackBerry user for reasons you in the normal sphere can't fathom.
    ... but does he use BB10?
    07-01-13 09:56 PM
    Apparently no one noticed the misleading thread title. The quoted article does not say the end IS near. it says MAY BE near. The article also does not present the collapse of BBRY as a fait accompli as evidenced by the last two paragraphs:
    This.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    07-01-13 10:03 PM
    ... but does he use BB10?
    I would bet my life on it.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:06 PM
    I would bet my life on it.
    Oh my.
    07-01-13 10:07 PM
    Here's my thoughts :

I just did a business analysis on RIM (at the time, right before they changed the name) for an accounting class. They have a ton of cash. I got an A. LOL

CNN is on TV, along with many other news outlets. Drama sells, and that goes for all outlets. There isn't an outlet out there that hasn't glorified the truth or exaggerated a story to get the views. If there is, PM me. I've been looking.

BlackBerry in a little over 2 years has changed virtually everything they've ever developed. Given that, I believe they're doing fairly well.

IMO, they have failed in the quality control as of late. That is one area they desperately need to crack down on.

If the aforementioned is resolved, I don't think Blackberry is going anywhere. I even believe they will slowly but surely take back market share, little by little..
    Posted via CB10
    And this. So many pessimistic crackberry members. So many impatient bb10 users. Madness. Tis all.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    07-01-13 10:09 PM
    Can we all just take a breath. I love my Z10. And that is really the best we can all hope for is a great product and great experience. With some time and judicial use of the billions in cash, surviving and prospering is likely. Let's all try to share our experiences with others and get others excited. I think Blackberry has some smart people so let them have some space. BB10 has been out a whole 5 months.
    07-01-13 10:21 PM
    Can we all just take a breath. I love my Z10. And that is really the best we can all hope for is a great product and great experience. With some time and judicial use of the billions in cash, surviving and prospering is likely. Let's all try to share our experiences with others and get others excited. I think Blackberry has some smart people so let them have some space. BB10 has been out a whole 5 months.
    +1 The WHOLE market for smartphones is down.
    07-01-13 10:27 PM
    Eh. Transition period. Losses are to be expected. Rome was not won in a day. This time next year with the next gen Z10 and Q10 in your paws you will not be thinking that BlackBerry is dead.

A10 I think will be a big test, with BlackBerry competing directly with Samsung and Google.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:37 PM
    I also read somewhere that BB lost $12 on every Z10 and didn't come close to making it back on volume.

I shudder to think what will happen if BB goes away. They've already been pulled closer to the dark side, and that's bad enough. Will the iPhone become the smallest on the market? Will we be stuck with 7" touch screens that don't even have voice plans? Will we have to play Angry Birds, log into 4 square, and wear skinny jeans even if we don't want to?
    cocobrow likes this.
    07-01-13 10:38 PM
    Whatever. Look, we all have the right to express our opinions here, but that does not mean that anything we say or don't say will mean the truth of the matter 2 years from now. We will see better results from BlackBerry in time... BlackBerry as some have said does not need to compete against apple and android completely to survive just to carry out a comfortable niche in the market. Despite whatever outlook/of outcome for the moment, I believe BlackBerry is still doing O.K. It amazes me how much huff and puff is going on around BlackBerry. I believe BlackBerry will get better. BlackBerry is here to stay IMHO. How I love the underdog, my BlackBerry my Z10, just like many of you. How many times can the underdog prove the masses wrong?! BlackBerry! I would say BlackBerry would have you Rock On! Dare to BELIEVE! and Enjoy your BlackBerry. The BEST of BlackBerry is yet to come.
    dcbo89 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:40 PM
    Exactly.

The public has responded to Blackberry's offering - and they're saying "no, thank you".

It's not the OS (which is really good), it's not the marketing or the current management. It's all about the years of mistakes that lead them to where they are today. It's much too little, too late. People have invested their money and time in other ecosystems that offer so much more. Those who haven't jumped to those competing ecosystems yet have a hard time ignoring them and going with a brand/product that offers so much less. The Blackberry name is dirt.

I've said it for years and I'll say it again... unless Blackberry can offer something that everyone wants and no-one has delivered (ie. a real game changer) - it's too little, too late.

Those of you who keep dismissing these articles as useless, and keep thinking there's a conspiracy against BB - it's time to take your heads out of the sand and start looking at the real world. Hurry up and go through the 5 stages of grief and get to "acceptance" already! You'll feel so much better about it.
    Look, I don't know who crapped in your Corn Flakes, but do you always have to be such a Debbie Downer!! Get on with it and jump off of whatever cliff is closest to you and let the rest of us enjoy in more ways than one.
    07-01-13 11:05 PM
    Why can't the Canadians keep up with the U.S.?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 11:35 PM
    I also read somewhere that BB lost $12 on every Z10 and didn't come close to making it back on volume.

I shudder to think what will happen if BB goes away. They've already been pulled closer to the dark side, and that's bad enough. Will the iPhone become the smallest on the market? Will we be stuck with 7" touch screens that don't even have voice plans? Will we have to play Angry Birds, log into 4 square, and wear skinny jeans even if we don't want to?
    fret not. WP8 is up and coming. There's tizen and Firefox os coming soon as well. If blackberry is not competent enough to keep its fourth place, someone else will come and push them further downwards.
    07-01-13 11:36 PM
    You muat be high on MS Kool Aid.if you think that junk Metro UI is anything other than a disaster for MS, not to mention that it is pretty far from benng unified...

...MS platforms are an utter mess, a.total pile of unorganized, half-baked, unfinished pile.of.****.

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    You seem absolutely pressed about Microsoft. Did you have a bad experience with a Kin device or something?
    bp3dots and Residing like this.
    07-01-13 11:42 PM
    as long as there is a market for qwerty phones, BB will be around
    07-01-13 11:47 PM
    You seem absolutely pressed about Microsoft. Did you have a bad experience with a Kin device or something?
    Much more likely he's a pc user who tried windows 8.

With the One and win8 I really don't think Microsoft knows what it's doing any more. Touchscreen pcs will never happen, yet they remove the start menu and give us an inefficient desktop replacer. Win8 tablets are appealing, it will take the 2nd gen to really get them going but between a surface pro and an ipad there is no comparison for me. However trying to do a RT model was always going to be a huge mistake. Atom has easily surpassed it in computational power and isn't far off in regards to power management now.

The One was just a huge marketing mess to begin with. It could have been a PC with a custom win 8 OS but no, they had to make a system to requires 3 oses just to boot. Then they make every mistake the pc has done and learned from over the past decade.

Windows phone revives one big update a year and that's about it. Nokia has been carrying Microsoft in regards to it. Everything that appeals to me about windows phone, the maps mostly is from Nokia.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 11:58 PM
    When I tried Win 8 when it was a beta test before release, I didn't have a problem with it, even on a non-touchscreen device. But that isn't what this thread is about so I won't dwell on that too much
    07-02-13 12:10 AM
    Apparently no one noticed the misleading thread title. The quoted article does not say the end IS near. it says MAY BE near. The article also does not present the collapse of BBRY as a fait accompli as evidenced by the last two paragraphs:
    Thank you!

Thread title edited for accuracy.
    BergerKing and tstrike34 like this.
    07-02-13 12:18 AM
    I am thinking that an acquisition may be the best outcome now. I suspect that there are a few big companies out there who think that they can do a better job with BB10 than BlackBerry is doing.

I think it will be very difficult for BlackBerry to turn this around on its own. I've thought about the things that could be done and no option seems great. It is like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Still afloat but taking on lots of water.

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's a great opinion and I agree with that as well, at this time if it's going to be an acquisition, than in all honesty it would Sony, based on their close relationship currently.

I think the future is still grey, one bad quarter isn't enough yet to write them off. Yes things were said and not followed through...companies do this all the time, it's about priorities. they need at least another couple quarters before things hit the fan.

BlackBerry needs to focus on BB10 sales, I personally believe and I'm sure many do the fact that legacy devices outsold BB10 by over double, hurt the company in a big way. They need to focus on BB10 and phase out the legacy for the next quarter...

I also think that the US carriers are playing a big part I'm the fall of BlackBerry.

But this is my opinion, I'm sure everyone here has their own thoughts on the issue.

Posted via CB10
    cocobrow and tstrike34 like this.
    07-02-13 12:28 AM
    Of course the end is near, how can one expect BB to survive. BB10 was supposed to save BB and it's a complete failure.

NO! ABsolutely and UNdeniably WRONG!! ... BB10 is NOT the failure.

Granted, it hasn't been 'absoutely immaculate' either, but FAR from the source of failure by ANY stretch.

Quite Plainly and Clearly, Frank Boulben AND his - HIS OWN, at that - ENTIRE MARKETING EFF-UP are the failures, here; from uninspired, uninspiring and unfocused MESSAGES, and just simply underwhelming, wrongly targeted and misguided CREATIVE.

He's HAD a FULL year to get it right - and failed miserably - AND (we must expect) is SOLELEY responsible for the Launch and Marketing trainwreck that was and is at the heart of Q1 results AND Q2-4 outlook.

For all we know, there may be other reasons - or individuals - responsible, but Frank is the most visible and blame-assignable fall-guy here and needs to get whacked over this.

The BB10 Launches and subsequent Device/OS Advertising could simply not have been more plainly EFFED-UP and it sickens me that the company keeps NEVER missing the opportunity to shoot itself in the foot on the Marketing Front for the simple short-sighted fact that they insist on hiring engineers, technologists and MBAs - INSTEAD of creative communicators with client insight and empathy - to puch its products and solutions, and rescue - even revive - its public-facing image.

NOT to be misunderstood: this is NOT an affront to those professions or those people at BBRY with those qualifications, but it IS a known that, while "they" are outrageously good at their profession, "Creative, People-Centric Sales Messages and Insights" is generally entirely and hopelessly outside their skill sets (yes, exceptions DO exist; just not in RIM's/BBRY's case).
    I have particular personal experience with RIM on this front, and it's the ONE area I keep being proven right on time-and-again. Unfortunately.

Change BOTH (Frank + Marketing approach) and you WILL see the tournaround; unless, of course, 1) no-one's interested in actually bringing the Brand and Company back to real viability, or 2) it's too little too late already.

Finally - oh yes:! I'm Experienced, Product/Platform/Company Knowledgeable, and Market Place Insightful, already in Waterloo, and available 'somewhat quickly.' Most importantly, actually, I'm willing to take this disaster on/over ... AND, I'll be at the AGM. Let's talk.

Of course the end is near, how can one expect BB to survive. BB10 was supposed to save BB and it's a complete failure.
    Last edited by bpmg4u; 07-02-13 at 01:19 AM.
    tstrike34 and Hup55 like this.
    07-02-13 01:06 AM
    This time last year they lost over $500m, this year it's $50m.
    Still an excellent improvement in my book. Just gotta ramp up that momentum.
    07-02-13 01:21 AM
    Why can't the Canadians keep up with the U.S.?

Posted via CB10
    are you referring to debt per person or obesity?...otherwise your comment makes no sense.
    07-02-13 01:25 AM
    +1 The WHOLE market for smartphones is down.
    CORRECT:

here is the PROOF:
    Samsung Slides Equivalent of Sony as S4 Sales Disappoint
    By Jungah Lee - Jun 30, 2013 8:51 PM ET

Samsung Slides Equivalent of Sony as S4 Sales Disappoint - Bloomberg
    07-02-13 01:26 AM
    look at htc for a comparison they lost huge amounts of money and i mean huge.
    until they released the htc one.

blackberry will survive but it will be close i hope they dont go under as a business but no business can run at a loss forever.

good luck blackberry i think your going to need it.
    07-02-13 01:43 AM
    Yes, BNN and other finical news outlets reported this last Friday. Weren't you listening?
    Being as BlackBerry 10 is a new platform for the quarter the only thing BlackBerry 10 could do is get new customers... BlackBerry OS 7 on the other hand probably did lose customers compared to last quarter and that is understandable with OS 10 being released... if we do the math, 2.7 million BlackBerry 10 phones sold does not equal 600,000 BlackBerry 10 customers lost...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 03:04 AM
394 ... 910111213 ...