I doubt CNN or any news outlet can predict the future of anything, considering they rarely even get the weather forecast right.
    Jahcure, vbittersweet and Murundum like this.
    07-01-13 09:23 AM
    This maybe what TH has been gunning for all along.
    Jokes aside, I figure this was always a safety net. I don't think they wanted the company to lose value, but that making it a viable target kinda makes sense.
    Harley Kid likes this.
    07-01-13 09:26 AM
    I agree the marketplace seems to be rejecting the platform a bit. I dont see any amount of hardware or features changing that situation.

If I were Blackberry I would focus on bringing the top 50 iOS/Android apps to the platform by the time 10.2 is out. Do everything in your power to get these apps, not just the top 10 (pay for out of your cash). I would also sign accelerate the app coordination with big banks, etc. The next wave of apps needs to have BB apps.

Just my thoughts.
    gebco likes this.
    07-01-13 09:32 AM
    [QUOTE=D_March;8741484]I keep seeing people say how fast phone tech moves...really? I'm not seeing that so much lately. The SGIV added a bigger processor and reportedly lags. The iPhone 5 added a slightly larger screen. I didn't see much functionality added software wise from either. I know apple has ios 7 coming out where they will be rehashing Web OS and my little pony. That should come out in a couple months with the iphone 5s. I just don't see this rapidly moving tech. I do see hardware additions being marketed to death and old software being repackaged and marketed as new. I think BlackBerry 10 will make it. But it will take awhile to get there.
    Last edited by keypad; 07-01-13 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Formatting error
    07-01-13 09:32 AM
    BB10 is great and as an os, competitive.
    But where was it when iOS, android and WebOS were solidifying roots in the market?
    App wise, iOS and android are 3 to 5 years ahead of Blackberry 10, this makes all the difference.
    If you don't want to play, who's got the biggest processor ? That's fine.
    But you should definitely be playing, who's got the biggest/longest battery life? And maybe who gives the most groundbreaking tech for you money ?
    The problem is resources. If you don't have apple or samsung money to advertise, then you had better acquire the best technological startups that money can buy, and before your competitors find them first and outbid you.
    There are so many smart and innovative companies out there waiting to be snap up and change the world, it's BlackBerrys job to find and acquire them.
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    07-01-13 09:34 AM
    It's been two steps forward and one step back for BlackBerry for sometime now. You'll still get there at some point, it's just a matter of how long it'll take and whether they'll be anyone left along for the ride by the time they get there.
    07-01-13 09:37 AM
    Let me first say - I have absolutely no preference over any platform although I do use Android and Windows Phone as my daily phones. I've used over 100 BlackBerry devices over the past 6 years so I've got enough experience in working with and using BlackBerry devices.

This thread piqued my interest for several reasons. From several years experience fixing BlackBerry devices for three mobile networks in the UK (and dealing with irate customers face to face), here's how I see BlackBerry's current predicament:

• BlackBerry's main problem is loyal customers who feel they can no longer trust the Canadian brand
    • Failing to deliver BlackBerry 10 last year is a MAJOR problem
    • Far too many OS 6 / OS 7 devices developing App Errors and wiping user data
    • Confusion over BlackBerry ID and problems with switching SIM cards resulting in lost data
    • Failure to innovate (read my explanation below)

These are just 5 reasons that BlackBerry sits where it does now. As for Failure to Innovate:

BlackBerry 10 IS an innovation but ONLY if you are a BlackBerry user. Why do I say that? Simple - the key features of BlackBerry 10 are unique to BlackBerry but (aside from the BlackBerry Hub), they are NOT unique in the industry. BlackBerry's marketing needs to ensure that they get the message across to potential users about the key USPs (Google it if you're not sure what this means) of BlackBerry 10.

To recover their position, BlackBerry need to deliver and deliver quickly. However, personally I do feel that it is too little too late. Why?

There's an age-old adage that It takes 10 positive reviews to counter the effects of 1 negative review. Well with the double major service outage last year, BlackBerry encountered at least 50 million negative reviews. The BlackBerry PlayBook fiasco has added several million more (the outrage of BlackBerry's backtracking is understandable) whilst their decision to offer BBM on rival platforms has actually worked against them - instead of websites, reviewers and journalists recommending BlackBerry devices, they instead recommend waiting for BBM to launch on Android and iOS.

A lot of the failure of BlackBerry 10 is down to their launch earlier this year. Okay so they put the Z10 up for sale the next day - a great move but there was no reason to switch from another OS to the Z10. If you were thinking of picking up a BB10 device, as a full touchscreen user, you would be tempted by the QWERTY keyboard of the Q10. Oh wait, it wasn't available for months. On the subject of the Z10 - great device and unique for BlackBerry users but the first FOUR (yes I had FOUR within two weeks of launch) I got were ALL faulty, whether suffering from lags or randomly crashing and rebooting. The specs were great for BlackBerry users but they were NOTHING SPECIAL to the industry at large.

On the subject of the launch, BlackBerry 10 is actually a great platform but (working in retail at the time and for several months after), BlackBerry completely screwed the launch up. They made two KEY errors by saying that both Skype and WhatsApp would be available at launch. In fact, neither were and I had A LOT of customers reflect this to me when returning their devices.

One of the best features of BlackBerry OS 7 and below was Desktop Manager and being able to switch devices. With BlackBerry Link, you could switch data except it was hit and miss and in the UK (having collated data with several contacts across networks), it RARELY WORKED to transfer contacts. Which pissed people off and resulted in the "Oh Sod this, I'm off to Android/iPhone/Windows Phone".

BlackBerry (and to an extent other manufacturers) need to learn it's not all about the product - the implementation and rollout is CRITICAL. Unfortunately Heins & Co royally messed up the launch by creating false promises (remember, customers have a VERY LONG memory) and delivering a product that didn't get the recognition it deserved simply because there were too many issues.

What do BlackBerry need to do? I don't profess to be an expert (although I've got several years of experience seeing the rise and falls in the industry) but what I would do is:

• BE HONEST to your loyal customers! If you try and pull the wool over the eyes of BlackBerry customers, there may be no customers left.
    • Don't release a half-baked product - whether it's software, hardware or OS, DO NOT offer a product unless it's 100% ready.
    • Do some testing! - make sure each product is tested THOROUGHLY before you put it on sale - another bad launch and it's only downhill from there

Last point (I swear..) - BlackBerry you need to produce something that has never been seen before. Throwing multiple BlackBerry 10 devices into the market won't help you. Spend as much as possible to research & develop even a single feature that is completely 100% unique. This will help you retain and capture new customers otherwise all you are doing is churning and spinning around on the same spot before you eventually fall over.

There's A LOT I haven't begun to cover in this, including the laziness of BlackBerry in porting Android apps but I'll leave that for another day!

I get that some of you may not agree with my thoughts but the point is that they are MY THOUGHTS. If you agree, wicked thanks. If you don't be constructive and say why (just don't be a troll).

If you got this far... Well done! It was a LOOONG read I know but hopefully you'll have found it useful at least.
    tstrike34, aniym, CHIP72 and 28 others like this.
    07-01-13 09:39 AM
    Apparently no one noticed the misleading thread title. The quoted article does not say the end IS near. it says MAY BE near. The article also does not present the collapse of BBRY as a fait accompli as evidenced by the last two paragraphs:

I disagree. Its called clearly understanding the context of the article corroborated with knowing the situation.
    07-01-13 09:40 AM
    I agree the marketplace seems to be rejecting the platform a bit. I dont see any amount of hardware or features changing that situation.

If I were Blackberry I would focus on bringing the top 50 iOS/Android apps to the platform by the time 10.2 is out. Do everything in your power to get these apps, not just the top 10 (pay for out of your cash). I would also sign accelerate the app coordination with big banks, etc. The next wave of apps needs to have BB apps.

Just my thoughts.
    I think this will do wonders with regards to platform adoption.
    07-01-13 09:44 AM
    I blame the marketing of BB10. The commercials are absolutely terrible and don't show may reason why anyone should go out and get a Z10 over an iPhone or Android phone. BB's marketing department has always been a complete joke.

And for all of the *** kissing that Crackberry did for Thor n here he is no better than Balsillie or Lazaridis with the constant delays and continued lies that they feed their core fan base. The way BB treats their customers it's a wonder they have any people using their phones at all anymore.
    07-01-13 09:47 AM
    The issues are the lack of carrier / app support. Everything is good. I love my Z10 so much but I want the updates that AT&T won't release and there's some apps I wish we had on BlackBerry 10 but the phone and new Os and all is awesome. I just feel like if the carriers / media are not supportive what else can BlackBerry do.

Posted via crackberry with AT&T Z10
    07-01-13 09:54 AM
    +10000 for CNN article.

Yes, this company doesn't deserve to be in the business anymore. I want to see the end for the all lies, betrayals and broken promises this company has done in past years. Now, its their turn to suffer. We have had enough.
    alan510 likes this.
    07-01-13 09:55 AM
    I disagree. Its called clearly understanding the context of the article corroborated with knowing the situation.
    Then you don't understand the concept of context. The headline is clear in the premise it wants to get across to the reader: "MAY BE NEAR." Context is, as is appropriate, provided in the article, such as:

"It is not the end / of the road for BlackBerry / but it may be close," wrote BGC analyst Colin Gilllis in a haiku to investors.
    If (emphasis added) the next few quarters echo this one, BlackBerry's dreams of once again becoming relevant in a market it once dominated will be destroyed.
    Yet some believe the end isn't quite as near as you'd think for BlackBerry.
    The company as it stands now isn't a great fit for any one suitor, says Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi. That could complicate a potential sale.
    Even if BlackBerry tried and failed to find a buyer -- or refused to consider that option -- and the downward spiral continued, the company wouldn't disappear overnight.
    As far as context goes those ALL point to what may happen and in no way reflect an absolutist viewpoint. With that, yes the title is, well, wrong.
    TBone4eva likes this.
    07-01-13 09:55 AM
    I never read that paper, and do not intend to start now
    07-01-13 09:59 AM
    +10000 for CNN article.

Yes, this company doesn't deserve to be in the business anymore. I want to see the end for the all lies, betrayals and broken promises this company has done in past years. Now, its their turn to suffer. We have had enough.
    I understand the sentiment, but I do hope it makes it through; options are good, plus more people out of work is never optimal.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:08 AM
    I respect your opinion...but the fact is the market does not know about BB10. The launch execution was poor to put it mildly. I thing BBRY over estimated the loyalty and goodwill in the market and underestimated the cost to re-launch into this hyper competitive marketplace.

I'm sure everyone saw the reports about how much money was spent by Samsung and Apple to compete against each other.......in case you misfsed it..it was well over 1 Billion each. That buys a lot of attention. Look at HTC ( running on Android) low sales, low attention, great product. The market did not reject Android did it? NOPE. HTC failed to market the way Samsung did and voila.

So, my simple point is : BBRY, failed to execute on the launch, folks don't know or care and what you see is low attention and low sales. Today's market dictates that you either go big or go home. Unless you zig when other's zag
    I think you have nailed it. Your HTC example is perfect. Probably the best phone on the market, but can't budge against Samsung. Meanwhile all the HTC execs are jumping ship.

I've read many of the threads on this topic today. The tone and groundswell is not good, and remember where and who we are, the absolute hard core of Blackberry users!!

Bbry is not dead, but it may be time to start thinking about a rest home for the old dear.
    07-01-13 10:10 AM
    If the industry is moving so slowly, why did BBRY fall so far behind so quickly?
    I don't think BB 10 is behind anyone in any area except apps...and that takes time.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-01-13 10:14 AM
    Then you don't understand the concept of context. The headline is clear in the premise it wants to get across to the reader: "MAY BE NEAR." Context is, as is appropriate, provided in the article, such as:

As far as context goes those ALL point to what may happen and in no way reflect an absolutist viewpoint. With that, yes the title is, well, wrong.

We will have to agree to disagree. Its all good.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-01-13 10:19 AM
    BlackBerry is making how many billions per quarter? How much is Nokia making as a comparison? Nokia has to sell 3 times as many phones as BlackBerry to make the same money, in fact you could go on and on about how precarious a situation Nokia's in and yet there's a tremendous upside to BlackBerry's situation which people are either ignoring or deliberately sweeping to one side.
    07-01-13 10:21 AM
    Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree too, lol. Even the picture shows BlackBerry being at a crossroads, not the end of one.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:25 AM
    Yes sir.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:33 AM
    Hmmmm....it was the end during PlayBookGate and now I have this great Q10 thingy and its the end again? Never have I seen an end so elusive!
    07-01-13 10:34 AM
    LOL, so I guess Nokia is a zombie that wont die
    07-01-13 10:39 AM
    BBRY still think end consumers aren't their customers but they're dead wrong. The end consumer, not carriers or CIOs of Fortune 500 corporations, is the one who will rant about a bad phone or rave about a good one. Having ridiculous firmware update schedules or consumer-unfriendly return policies is a good way of screwing over the end consumer.

That anonymous letter from an ex-staffer that came up when Heins became CEO mentioned all this but the idiots at Waterloo still haven't learned anything. Now when they're threatened with irrelevance, they still think end consumers don't matter. Pity the fools...
    07-01-13 10:44 AM
    Fix the problems with BB10? That's the problem! BB10 doesn't have huge problems. It is a really good OS. This is much worse, it is a rejection of the platform in the marketplace. A software update won't fix that. I'm not sure what could fix it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:48 AM
394 12345 ...