End may be near for BlackBerry - Jul. 1, 2013

Now things have gotten real. BBRY is now a takeover target. So much for a fun ride.
    dagerlach likes this.
    07-01-13 07:18 AM
    This maybe what TH has been gunning for all along.
    Tazos, rjkolo and tryfe like this.
    07-01-13 07:24 AM
    Just another lame article. It doesnt say its the beginning of the end, just the title... the media is always negative about BlackBerry just give the company more time. People do forget its a totally new OS, and 3 months are nothing. They cant be succesfull in a short time, especially after the bad press these years.

Give it time, enjoy your phone and live your life.
    RECOOL, Jared18, brout and 40 others like this.
    07-01-13 07:24 AM
    :'(
    come on BlackBerry, put yourself together. we're in this together.
    we might have lost a few battles, but that doesn't mean the war is over yet.
    BlackBerry FTW
    07-01-13 07:28 AM
    Of course the end is near, how can one expect BB to survive. BB10 was supposed to save BB and it's a complete failure.
    07-01-13 07:30 AM

Give it time, enjoy your phone and live your life.
    The smartphone business doesn't give any time. ... it's fast and it won't wait for BlackBerry to catch up...
    07-01-13 07:33 AM
    Of course the end is near, how can one expect BB to survive. BB10 was supposed to save BB and it's a complete failure.
    I am thinking that an acquisition may be the best outcome now. I suspect that there are a few big companies out there who think that they can do a better job with BB10 than BlackBerry is doing.

I think it will be very difficult for BlackBerry to turn this around on its own. I've thought about the things that could be done and no option seems great. It is like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Still afloat but taking on lots of water.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 07:37 AM
    CNN Money is a joke: their entire technology section is based off Apple coverage and their reporting on anything in the tech field ranges from highly suspect to flat out lazy.

Yes, BlackBerry's earnings for FY14 Q1 were bad and they're a takeover candidate, but I'll still give them at least through FY14 to make something of the new platform. BES adoption (and the associated CALs), and the lack of debt help their cause. A deal for using the existing NOC for data transmission will help too...
    07-01-13 07:37 AM
    CNN is horrific... Just a bunch of garbage with bias and paid interests. Motley Fool, The Street... Just spinsters with no good info, they just want you to subscribe to their stuff.

Have you tried searching for BBRY stock ticker on CNN Money? No result. You type RIMM and it comes up BlackBerry. They can't even update their search index while every other sites has! What a slap in the face!
    07-01-13 07:40 AM
    I don't know what's going to happen next, but I will say that there have been articles predicting the imminent death of BlackBerry for some time now.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 07:42 AM
    I don't know what's going to happen next, but I will say that there have been articles predicting the imminent death of BlackBerry for some time now.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. It's nothing new.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan and maddie1128 like this.
    07-01-13 07:44 AM
    I am thinking that an acquisition may be the best outcome now. I suspect that there are a few big companies out there who think that they can do a better job with BB10 than BlackBerry is doing.

I think it will be very difficult for BlackBerry to turn this around on its own. I've thought about the things that could be done and no option seems great. It is like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Still afloat but taking on lots of water.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, in a previous post I compared Mr Heins to the Titanic captain, telling everything is going well while the ship is sinking.
    07-01-13 07:46 AM
    I agree, in a previous post I compared Mr Heins to the Titanic captain, telling everything is going well while the ship is sinking.
    That is how the situation feels to me
    07-01-13 07:49 AM
    While here they make us upgrade hardware just about every 2-3 years (by including the phone cost in the plan) there are parts of the world where people get better monthly rates but have to buy hardware in full from the start.... They will not want to be forced into a new phone and will take better care of their existing one since it costs them. A solid reliable phone is what they are searching for, with good value. The smartphone industry moves fast but often people in these countries are not so quick to pull an upgrade cycle and will be more cautious knowing the phone they buy will have to last them a long while.
    Right. Global media conspiracy

And Societe Generale, which upgraded the stock in mid-June based on worthless estimates that were all missed, today issued a downgrade. In pre opening trading the stock was below $10. At the time SocGen was praised here.

SocGen downgrades BlackBerry; shares down 5% - MarketWatch

Nothing new indeed.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    guys, we are on a road to recovery... we hit a bump in the road, i'm not worried. did you see apple's stock for the past 6-8 months?? 750 to 390s.. they have A LOT of cash. similar situation with BlackBerry. Yeah, they're no apple, but for the size, they have a lot of cash on hand. they have time to turn things around. dumping the playbook is probably a good business decision. they'll never win the tablet war, its smart to drop it! they still have a big chance to fixing the bb10 OS, and be the #3 they want to be. they need to fix the bugs, and roll out updates in a timely manner. 10.2 needs to be a refresh, big time. bring new OS features, and make the A10 do things to make everyone go wow. lets go BlackBerry.
    07-01-13 07:54 AM
    Fix the problems with BB10? That's the problem! BB10 doesn't have huge problems. It is a really good OS. This is much worse, it is a rejection of the platform in the marketplace. A software update won't fix that. I'm not sure what could fix it.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 08:02 AM
    Ignore the news. They all talk about whatever is the hot topic.

C0004E653 - The official channel for ChefBigFella.com
    Mohammed Zakaria1 likes this.
    07-01-13 08:03 AM
    All of the excuses have been used up.
    6 months ago - just wait for BB 10 - millions will be sold
    3 months ago - just wait for a full quarter with BB 10 - millions will be sold.

Reality - 4 million FEWER customers - poor sales of BB10 devices - abandonment of the Playbook (not that it was ever a financial success - but the faithful all believed BB 10 was coming).

Enough with the excuses. Time for Thor, Frank and the team to DELIVER.
    07-01-13 08:05 AM
    Fix the problems with BB10? That's the problem! BB10 doesn't have huge problems. It is a really good OS. This is much worse, it is a rejection of the platform in the marketplace. A software update won't fix that. I'm not sure what could fix it.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly it. The market has rejected them. Yes the OS has it's issues but not more so than WP8 for example. Real shame because is actually quite good
    07-01-13 08:15 AM
    Why is it that whenever a "tech" or "investment" site mentions anything negative about Blackberry the default answer is.. they are a pro Apple site. When did those two things become mutually exclusive?

The reason everyone is screaming gloom and doom is the fact that BB10 (as great as it is), isn't growing a quickly as they need to. People default to the lazy analysis of the company is dead... because in a few months, the new Apple device will launch w/ iOS 7 and we all know that event will suck the air out of the tech room as they report record sales, blah blah blah... leaving nothing for anyone else except Samsung whose ad budget can still get through the noise.
    07-01-13 08:21 AM
    07-01-13 08:22 AM
    May I ask what is your experience with BB10? Just curious to understand your user experience.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 08:25 AM
    All of the excuses have been used up.
    6 months ago - just wait for BB 10 - millions will be sold
    3 months ago - just wait for a full quarter with BB 10 - millions will be sold.

Reality - 4 million FEWER customers - poor sales of BB10 devices - abandonment of the Playbook (not that it was ever a financial success - but the faithful all believed BB 10 was coming).

Enough with the excuses. Time for Thor, Frank and the team to DELIVER.
    Can't agree more!
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    07-01-13 08:26 AM
    This time last year they lost over $500m, this year it's $50m. They've recovered massively and I have faith that trend will continue. Plus the QWERTY BB10 phones have only just come out and you can't really make a full judgement of BlackBerry as a company without the new QWERTY phones.
    07-01-13 08:26 AM
394 123 ...