Yeah right, the master plan is not to increase sales. Indeed cunning.

The BES income is built primarily on BlackBerry hardware, so the hardware is key.

Of course the reorg matters, as does cutting the cash burn - but at the end of the day not promoting, and trying to sell your flagship device is just plain dumb.

Posted via SwiftKey / htc one
    Ditto that... it should absolutely NOT be about the stock price at this point.

It should be about marketing marketing marketing NOW. They have a great OS and great hardware... but nobody except the faithful know it.

Problem is, it may Already be too late as these things are already a year old now and the rest of the day has moved on to hardware and OS that has been better marketed.

Shame on you BlackBerry for squandering it...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-21-14 07:20 PM
    It's late but not too late (imo) they can save the BES/MDM and become a leader in M2M...just takes a plan. They have always had the engineers and cash, now they have a leader to make it happen. Go BB.

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    01-21-14 08:06 PM
    Did that guy say, "will it continue to go up, probably not", at the end of the video. Boy some people are still in denial. And when was liquidating ever mentioned by BB. Duh!
    01-22-14 01:34 AM
    Hopefully, by this same time next year, we will all be looking back at today and saying Chen got it right, posting on new BlackBerries.
    angieberry10 likes this.
    01-22-14 07:57 AM
    Slowly but surely the unbelievers will believe in BlackBerry again.
    01-22-14 08:10 AM
    ...they made a mistake with selecting Heins and his merry band of rejects who were more interested in selling the company than fixing it.

Posted via CB10
    Yet from what Kevin has mentioned from his discussions with current and former BlackBerry employees Heins made a lot of good changes internally that have made BlackBerry a better company. Say what you want about his external strategy, but if he was able to make any kind of impact on the sense of entitlement and bad blood that was in the RIM/BlackBerry organisation then he made a huge accomplishment.

He may not have been the right person for the long term transition of the company, but he was the right person to get it to a leaner structure and change the corporate culture. Even a cursory study of management will tell you that often that can be the most impactful change any company can make.

With the change in place and a better sense of employee morale, Chen is able to come in and be the full change agent that BlackBerry has needed for so long.
    cbvinh likes this.
    01-22-14 08:22 AM
    Yeah right, the master plan is not to increase sales. Indeed cunning.

The BES income is built primarily on BlackBerry hardware, so the hardware is key.

Of course the reorg matters, as does cutting the cash burn - but at the end of the day not promoting, and trying to sell your flagship device is just plain dumb.

Posted via SwiftKey / htc one
    Again you guys are missing what I'm saying. The goal right now is to stabilize focus on getting the company back to profitability or at least break even before they can even think of making a run at being competitive in the consumer market again.

But let's really talk about why their image is so tarnished. They have always been an enterprise or business driven company. Their products have always been geared to this sector. Consumers then thought they were so cool and started to buy them even with the business feel. Then Apple comes out with the consumer driven iPhone and then everyone says BlackBerry is falling behind not competing when their main focus was always businesses when consumers took it on their selves to buy them and use them like everyday consumer toys which they were never meant for. Then the media bashing started and over time tarnished the brands image. Stock fell and tarnished even more because apparently they were not meeting consumer expectations. People eventually go scared with all the talk about BlackBerry going bust and scared buyers even more BYOD trend started because people found BlackBerry uncool and would complain that they had to use them picking fault with every little issue they saw.
    01-22-14 10:16 AM
    BES brings in a few billion? Lmao. You all better start digging into the financials before the next quarter fiasco. This market is selling this stock to the dreamers. The one thing that has changed and continues is the massive capital and revenue bleed.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 12:25 PM
    BES brings in a few billion? Lmao. You all better start digging into the financials before the next quarter fiasco. This market is selling this stock to the dreamers. The one thing that has changed and continues is the massive capital and revenue bleed.

Posted via CB10
    Next Quarter might have you in awe how wrong you could be .500 million for the sale of real estate and another 500m tax returns, a few others goodies like ,who knows?If john Chen brings the stock to $100 he will be the next Billion dollar man,so why do you think BB is going to die?When there is so much $$$$ to realize.
    01-22-14 01:00 PM
    ^This

A couple months back, I said the only thing hurting BlackBerry is the perception....not the OS, not the enterprise tech, not the device designs ....the perception.

Funny how I see more and more stock footage of BB10 devices in action and BB10 devices for pictures in articles as well. Maybe the media finally got tired of piling on. Even the last couple articles from BGR were positive......causing me to nearly **** my pants

Also to consider, if the annoucements of companies adopting BES10 keeps coming at the current rate, boy are we in for a fun ride!
    The shorts have now moved out of the trade...and the money to the bloggers for negative spin has dried up.
    Shanerredflag and Omnitech like this.
    01-22-14 01:13 PM
    Again you guys are missing what I'm saying. The goal right now is to stabilize focus on getting the company back to profitability or at least break even before they can even think of making a run at being competitive in the consumer market again.

But let's really talk about why their image is so tarnished. They have always been an enterprise or business driven company. Their products have always been geared to this sector. Consumers then thought they were so cool and started to buy them even with the business feel. Then Apple comes out with the consumer driven iPhone and then everyone says BlackBerry is falling behind not competing when their main focus was always businesses when consumers took it on their selves to buy them and use them like everyday consumer toys which they were never meant for. Then the media bashing started and over time tarnished the brands image. Stock fell and tarnished even more because apparently they were not meeting consumer expectations. People eventually go scared with all the talk about BlackBerry going bust and scared buyers even more BYOD trend started because people found BlackBerry uncool and would complain that they had to use them picking fault with every little issue they saw.
    They are tarnished because:

1. Carriers took forever to upgrade the initial OS release to 10.1 MR. Now they are again not even on 10.2. ....10.2.1 is a superb OS. IF they get google play services there is no excuse that this is not the best OS on the market.

2. Carriers had billions in (purchase) obligations to Apple so the reps flogged the buyers interested in BB and sold them iPhones to make their targest/commissions. Hard to fight that.

But weird thing....Verizon in RTP, NC had a working Z30 on display. I was quite surprised. Maybe because this is a 'professional' area of high income earners who want the option to get things done faster and not have to deal with the iOS keyboard.
    01-22-14 01:18 PM
    Do you know who also brought in new management and talked up BlackBerry and how great the future will be?

Right now, it's all talk. Sure Chen has set more realistic goals, but he's got nothing to back anything up. Yet.
    He's got 600M in real estate money that nobody was considering in either the 'out of business' scenario or the sum of parts analysis.

He's got the foxconn partnership and ZERO risk building the non corporate (non high end) models, meaning zero write offs on any future non high end models. I bet they build the high end phones as the purchase orders come in.. Corps will be buying in bulk. They won't be overbuilding high end models either.

If BES revenue starts increasing it is nothing but UP !
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-22-14 01:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    qith QNX , royalties, BES fees yeah i remember something like $600 million in BES fees per quarter was said, i'll look further into it but if memory serves me in a year that would be $2.4 billiuon

Revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2014 was approximately $1.2 billion, down $380 million or 24% from approximately $1.6 billion in the previous quarter and down 56% from $2.7 billion in the same quarter of fiscal 2013. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 40% for hardware, 53% for services and 7% for software and other revenue.
    taken from Q3 earnings report 53% of $1.2 billion is $636million plus 7% softwareand other revenues so QNX and patent royalties so thats a total of 60% of $1.2 billion in revenues $840 million in services and software money so at that rate a year that is $3.36 billion. which proves my point
    01-22-14 06:52 PM
    qith QNX , royalties, BES fees yeah i remember something like $600 million in BES fees per quarter was said, i'll look further into it but if memory serves me in a year that would be $2.4 billiuon

taken from Q3 earnings report 53% of $1.2 billion is $636million plus 7% softwareand other revenues so QNX and patent royalties so thats a total of 60% of $1.2 billion in revenues $840 million in services and software money so at that rate a year that is $3.36 billion. which proves my point
    A lot of that 53% is likely more BIS than BES. Under the Bb10 BES business model the CALs with either generate only $20 per year, or a one time charge of $99 (or less from quantity. BIS provides about $5 per month per phone. BlackBerry needs to provide more granularity in the financials.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:35 PM
    A lot of that 53% is likely more BIS than BES. Under the Bb10 BES business model the CALs with either generate only $20 per year, or a one time charge of $99 (or less from quantity. BIS provides about $5 per month per phone. BlackBerry needs to provide more granularity in the financials.

Posted via CB10
    not really the majority of that 53% is BES revenues, BES fees are higher then BIS fees and the more BB10 devices that get sold to upgrading users the less BIS revenue comes in. while more BBOS7 devices are beign sold, whose to say the majority of those aren't to BES subscribers. on another note where BIS fees supposed to be stopped? i'm not sure if this is just a BB10 thing of if it is with legacy devices also.

either way as a service company BlackBerry can still generate a high cash flow, and with BES10 now beign a multi platform MDM it also brings more revenues for those looking to use BES as a BYOD service, you guys are losing sight of that
    01-22-14 08:55 PM
    I guess it's a good thing that bbos phones are outselling BB10...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 09:37 PM
    What all this comes down to is "focus"..... this is what has been lackng with BB and RIM.... yes there have been "plans"... but no focus... Mr. Chen seems to have a laser focus of where "he" wants the company to go... for me this has been the missing link all the way along.....
    01-22-14 09:57 PM
    All the recent Wall St. moves prove to me are one or both of the following:

1) Shorts are covering

2) The stock market as a whole is ridiculously influenced by hive-mind and sheep thinking.

The never-ending wave of Wall St. BBRY bears over the last year kept trotting out ridiculous BS as rationalizations for their bearish stance. Half the time they would regurgitate months-old garbage over and over just so they would have an excuse to publish another negative article.

Now the reverse is happening: a bunch of sloppy numbnuts scanned a press-release from the US DoD about a rollout of a new MDM system that stated that 80,000 BlackBerries would be connected to it but only about 1800 iOS/Android devices, and immediately assumed this meant that the DoD was going to purchase 80,000 shiny new BlackBerries. When in fact what is really happening is all they are doing is rolling out a mobile device management system and connecting (most likely) around 80,000 legacy BBOS devices to it that they already owned. (This is still good news, just not as good as they way it's being spun all over the place.)

But no matter, everyone parrots the line and starts bumping the stock up because now the mood is "BlackBerry is on the comeback trail". (Though you have to hand it to Chen for successfully pulling this off. Partly because he does seem to be doing some good things, partly because he is just "managing the message" way better than his predecessors did, and he's got a lot of friends in high places, particularly in the USA.)

Herd psychology at work.

(I mean, as someone who would really like to see BlackBerry succeed I'm not complaining on that front - but it's still herd psychology.)
    01-23-14 04:02 AM
    A couple months back, I said the only thing hurting BlackBerry is the perception....not the OS, not the enterprise tech, not the device designs ....the perception.

Funny how I see more and more stock footage of BB10 devices in action and BB10 devices for pictures in articles as well. Maybe the media finally got tired of piling on. Even the last couple articles from BGR were positive......causing me to nearly **** my pants

The shorts have now moved out of the trade...and the money to the bloggers for negative spin has dried up.

Excellent points, agree with both of you.
    01-23-14 04:08 AM

BES/QNX is recorded under software, if you look back on past reports they break it down better. BES makes peanuts. This company sells phones and services (BIS).

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:41 AM
    BlackBerry is good and getting better, I did notice the negative spin that CNN reporter had for BB.
    Sad...!

This is the reason I try to avoid CNN.!
    01-23-14 09:01 AM
46 12