In my opinion, Chen's greatest failure has been to address share price for BlackBerry, he has failed to realize that share price has an impact on market sentiment, which has an impact on how the media, as well as stakeholders perceive the company. The lack of addressing this component has had an impact on marketing efforts, share price increases would directly provide free marketing from the media.

Chen has had various opportunities to address this component, however never has, ideally at the minimum a share buyback should be announced if he feels the company is undervalued, this would rid the stock of some day traders and shorts, and would effectively instill confidence back into the company.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:49 PM
    It's easier to talk about raising your stock price than to do it. A share buyback requires spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars if they want to make a meaningful impact. Chen has actually done very well at raising the stock price over the last year, beating most or all indexes and bbry has been a very well performing stock for the ttm.

I understand your view that raising the stock price will help in changing perceptions, and that results in publicity, but it is very expensive and they have been achieving this already just by turning around the company. It would not surprise me if within the next two quarters they did buy back some shares to help boost eps and the stock price, but it's probably more beneficial in the analysts and public's eyes to be growing your cash than spending it on market manipulation.

BB for Life
    12-04-14 02:15 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Needs to show revenue growth and profits... hopefully upcoming quarter report will be very positive... until then the stock is highly manipulated by short sellers and traders..

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 04:54 PM
    BB's share price has increased at least 68% this year it has to go a lot higher and will,just RELAX.
    12-04-14 05:03 PM
    Yeah, ok, Chens a "failure".

ROFL......
    12-04-14 05:57 PM
    The share price is how much higher today than a year ago?

Chen's greatest failure!!-img_20141205_063250.png

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    12-05-14 07:34 AM
    From $6 to $12 in one year, and you think that's a problem?! 100% return?!

Job one is to keep the company alive. Job two is working out the fundamentals to make the company profitable in the long term. Let's keep the eye on the ball.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-05-14 07:44 AM
    Yup, I used to go in and out of blackberry, buy low and selling a dollar or two higher. I'm now in for the long haul. The upside is coming.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 10:17 PM
    Greatest other failure? Still no authentic BlackBerry holsters in the marketplace

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-05-14 10:28 PM
    This is the dumbest post theme I've seen. You people are idiots. Chen is and probably has saved BlackBerry. What's the real rub??
    It's not that one user who wants more.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 10:46 PM
    He failed in not being with blackberry sooner, can you imagine where we would have been if he had replaced" he that shouldn't be named", and still had all that money wasted on changing name.

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    12-11-14 08:25 AM
    This is the dumbest post theme I've seen. You people are idiots. Chen is and probably has saved BlackBerry. What's the real rub??
    It's not that one user who wants more.

Posted via CB10
    Awfully bold statement considering most people have disagreed with OP, but we're all idiots I guess..

Yes it would have been great if Chen came aboard instead of TH, but maybe he declined at that time, or maybe he would have followed a similar strategy, it's impossible to know. But he is doing an excellent job now, the company is regaining relevance, the stock is up significantly, exciting projects are rumored to be in the pipeline and BES and QNX both seem to be doing well.

The only criticism I have is that maybe he should have kept quiet about his enterprise focus and let BlackBerry keep suffering while they developed and prepped the Passport for launch. This way they could have launched the Passport with a big event declaring they are the enterprise kings and BES12 is coming shortly. This would have possibly slowed competitors which are now attempting to attack the enterprise market full force and jeopardizing BlackBerry's security in holding that market.
    This is only in hindsight though and these competing enterprise strategies may have already been in development before BlackBerry staked it's claim, which would mean this strategy could have killed BlackBerry because they didn't make their intentions public to assure enterprises that they are ready to serve their needs.

BB for Life
    12-11-14 02:17 PM

The only criticism I have is that maybe he should have kept quiet about his enterprise focus and let BlackBerry keep suffering while they developed and prepped the Passport for launch. This way they could have launched the Passport with a big event declaring they are the enterprise kings and BES12 is coming shortly. This would have possibly slowed competitors which are now attempting to attack the enterprise market full force and jeopardizing BlackBerry's security in holding that market.
    This is only in hindsight though and these competing enterprise strategies may have already been in development before BlackBerry staked it's claim, which would mean this strategy could have killed BlackBerry because they didn't make their intentions public to assure enterprises that they are ready to serve their needs.

BB for Life
    Great thoughts, keeping quiet.
    Could have worked both ways. :-)

Cash is still there, and he wouldn't have depleted the resources by not going public (and losing customers in the process) with everything the way he did.

The other stakeholders, yes, BlackBerry's (existing) customers wanted some reassurance and probably deserved it, too. IT is mission-critical nowadays, so enterprises need to know where they're at with their investments...

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-12-14 06:17 AM
    In my opinion, Chen's greatest failure has been to address share price for BlackBerry, he has failed to realize that share price has an impact on market sentiment, which has an impact on how the media, as well as stakeholders perceive the company. The lack of addressing this component has had an impact on marketing efforts, share price increases would directly provide free marketing from the media.

Chen has had various opportunities to address this component, however never has, ideally at the minimum a share buyback should be announced if he feels the company is undervalued, this would rid the stock of some day traders and shorts, and would effectively instill confidence back into the company.

Posted via CB10
    Don't you understand how many new companies he has aquired in his time! When you plan for long-term then don't expect midnight magic

A Happy Passport User....
    12-12-14 06:28 AM
    Think of share prices as a medal for placing in a foot race. You don't win medals by focusing on winning medals. Medals are won by training, practicing, and doing all the little things right. You could say medals are simply a consequence of being fast.

The same thing goes with stock prices. Do the little things, execute your business strategy well and the stock price will reflect that over time. Short circuiting that principle can create short term gains, but at the price of volatility.

Unfortunately, each foot race is an entity unto itself - your previous results aren't a factor. Here is where BlackBerry's problem lies. People are stuck on the "struggling BlackBerry" narrative, thanks in part to the media, so despite executing above expectations, the stock prices aren't moving as freely as they should.

If you believe in BlackBerry and want to see a modest return on investment in the next few years, buy a few shares and forget about them. The short term fluctuations are annoying, the lack of market response is downright irritating, but nobody can deny the trend is in the right direction.

Posted via CB10
    doctor gonzo and iamagod like this.
    12-12-14 06:32 PM
    Don't you understand how many new companies he has aquired in his time! When you plan for long-term then don't expect midnight magic

A Happy Passport User....
    When you don't have much time.... does planning long-term make much sense?

While the two companies that Chen purchased, both seem to fit nicely in with what BlackBerry has planned (Virtual SIMS and Voice & Data encryption)... It does give him less time to fix the main issue of fewer and fewer devices are being sold.... along with BES isn't selling enough new licenses to cover the loses from BIS going away.

Long term I thin Chen would love to be out of the hardware business... but short term he doesn't have anything to replace it and he hasn't figured out how to turn it around yet. The Z3 hasn't done anything, the Passport doesn't seem to be anything but a fringe device so far....

This is about the point where the natives started questioning Thorsten Heins abilities.... talk only get's you so far. But Chen has been a better speaker and he has done a good job cutting cost. The question is BlackBerry able to function at this point.
    01-20-15 09:09 AM
    The Z3 hasn't done anything, the Passport doesn't seem to be anything but a fringe device so far....
    BlackBerry haven't released sales figures on either device, so would you care to explain what your speculation is based upon?

We do know the initial run of Z3s sold out quickly. That's a positive. The Passport had over 200K preorders, sold out almost immediately in North America, and both Amazon and BlackBerry.com seem to have trouble keeping them in stock. Understanding that smartphones are produced by the batch, that suggests multiple runs have sold out.

Additionally, we've seen three special makeup (SMU) versions of the Passport thus far: Red, Gold, and AT&T Rounded Corners. If the initial offering of a product flops, you don't turn around and make limited edition SMUs. The very presence of the SMUs shows the Passport has sold to expectations at the very least, and most likely has exceeded sales expectations.

Additionally, the three phones with the highest customer ratings on Amazon.com are the Passport, in red, white, and black.

Fringe device, indeed.

I noticed you skipped the Classic, but I won't. Preorders for the Classic sold out, and initial demand was very high. This is a more enterprise-centered device, so demand will be more at the wholesale level, so the retail stock levels aren't going to be as useful an indicator.

The question is BlackBerry able to function at this point.
    If you need to ask this question, you clearly haven't been paying attention. OS development appears to have accelerated. For the smallest smartphone manufacturer, BlackBerry have had more major software releases since BlackBerry 10 came out than both Apple and Android. Some truly unique devices have been released in the past year as well.

I've gotta ask - have you actually considered the implication of what you suggested? That BlackBerry would actually reduce it's workforce beyond the point of being able to function? Does that sound like something any intelligent business leaders would do?

I should think not.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 10:27 AM
    BlackBerry haven't released sales figures on either device, so would you care to explain what your speculation is based upon?

We do know the initial run of Z3s sold out quickly. That's a positive. The Passport had over 200K preorders, sold out almost immediately in North America, and both Amazon and BlackBerry.com seem to have trouble keeping them in stock. Understanding that smartphones are produced by the batch, that suggests multiple runs have sold out.

Additionally, we've seen three special makeup (SMU) versions of the Passport thus far: Red, Gold, and AT&T Rounded Corners. If the initial offering of a product flops, you don't turn around and make limited edition SMUs. The very presence of the SMUs shows the Passport has sold to expectations at the very least, and most likely has exceeded sales expectations.

Additionally, the three phones with the highest customer ratings on Amazon.com are the Passport, in red, white, and black.

Fringe device, indeed.

I noticed you skipped the Classic, but I won't. Preorders for the Classic sold out, and initial demand was very high. This is a more enterprise-centered device, so demand will be more at the wholesale level, so the retail stock levels aren't going to be as useful an indicator.

If you need to ask this question, you clearly haven't been paying attention. OS development appears to have accelerated. For the smallest smartphone manufacturer, BlackBerry have had more major software releases since BlackBerry 10 came out than both Apple and Android. Some truly unique devices have been released in the past year as well.

I've gotta ask - have you actually considered the implication of what you suggested? That BlackBerry would actually reduce it's workforce beyond the point of being able to function? Does that sound like something any intelligent business leaders would do?

I should think not.

Posted via CB10
    Most every BB10 BlackBerry has "sold out" - that alone means VERY LITTLE.

My number for the Z3 are based on Indian Imports from https://www.zauba.com/import-blackberry+z3-hs-code.html They have pretty well matched the orgianl offical numbers at lauch and the later release that CrackBerry did when they reached 25K. It's not official, but along with the official sales number of BlackBerry devices overall and Chen not mentioning the Z3 or even developing markets anymore. It hard to believe that the Z3 was anything but a failure.

Reviews are made by buyers... and who are buying Passports and Classics? Right now people that are huge fans for BlackBerry. So it's little wonder that Reviews are very positive for both devices. But unless reviews turn into additionals sales... the really mean very little.

OS development has accelerated??? In what way? Native Apps? New software release - after almost a year?

BlackBerry would reduce its workforce in order to get cost down.... there isn't much left that can be cut as they have sold the kitchen sink. Someone in another thread even said the facility in Mexico wasn't owned by BlackBerry but by one of their past manufacturing partners. We know they sold all the corporate offices.... what is left? You see profits are tied to revenues in some strange way.... if your revenues go down, your expenses must go down, or you must charge more for your products. Now the Passport and the Classic indicate that BlackBerry is working hard to increase margins. But raising prices of products that aren't very popular to begin with... makes it hard to sell them to the "casual" user.

But there in no doubt that BlackBerry has cut more than they should have... support isn't what it once was. In house app development isn't what it once was. Look at the delays in getting the Classic to market.... Look at the delays in getting 10.3.1 released.

Regardless of what an intelligent business leader would like to do... he has to work with what he has. And unless the Classic post some real number in sales increases... or unless BES12 starts bring in new users. Revenues will continue to fall, and thus to meet his "we are profitable" goals... he'll need another source of revenue or he'll have to cut more "costs".

Now at some point the Nanathealth, Project Ion or something might start replacing those loses from Hardware and Device Management.... and ultimately I think that is Chen's goal and the future of BlackBerry. But time is needed.... and Chen really need BES12 and the Classic to give him that time. But if he has to cut something... it's going to be projects that don't have a future. BB10 development, Hardware, BBM....
    01-20-15 10:56 AM
    This is the dumbest post theme I've seen. You people are idiots.
    I personally don't think this is Chen's failure. Wall Street respects him fine, and the things he's doing fine ... though some of the bears question whether or not BlackBerry is too far along to save. The most telling quote I heard was "It would have been great to have him a year or two earlier".

That said, is it really necessary to be so insulting?
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-20-15 11:20 AM
    But if he has to cut something... it's going to be projects that don't have a future. BB10 development, Hardware, BBM....
    Geez - Scalemaster. You've slipped back into that "everything is awful, in every way, all the time, under every circumstance, no matter what" mode. You seemed to be more positive after the start of the year. Now you're in full "nothing they ever do, could ever do, will ever do, in any way has any hope" mode.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-20-15 11:23 AM
    Geez - Scalemaster. You've slipped back into that "everything is awful, in every way, all the time, under every circumstance, no matter what" mode. You seemed to be more positive after the start of the year. Now you're in full "nothing they ever do, could ever do, will ever do, in any way has any hope" mode.

Now at some point the Nanathealth, Project Ion or something might start replacing those loses from Hardware and Device Management.... and ultimately I think that is Chen's goal and the future of BlackBerry. But time is needed.... and Chen really need BES12 and the Classic to give him that time. But if he has to cut something... it's going to be projects that don't have a future. BB10 development, Hardware, BBM....

I tried to throw a little positive in there... To me BlackBerry's future is SERVICES and software. But I don't really like that BlackBerry.

But I didn't mean to get positive on you....
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-20-15 02:50 PM
    Absolutely right. Once share price is at $30-40 range, negative propaganda will stop. and business will pick up. Chen can spinoff BBM, lobby Canadian govt to give a back stop given relentless attack on Blackberry... get a strategic investor at 425-35 B valuation, maybe just a 10% stake. Get big name investors like Icahn on board.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 08:25 AM
    Absolutely right. Once share price is at $30-40 range, negative propaganda will stop. and business will pick up. Chen can spinoff BBM, lobby Canadian govt to give a back stop given relentless attack on Blackberry... get a strategic investor at 425-35 B valuation, maybe just a 10% stake. Get big name investors like Icahn on board.
    If business doesn't pickup, they won't see the other side of $15, much less $30-$40 range.

They got a big name investor onboard.. and he has been very quite for the last year.
    01-26-15 10:15 AM