01-04-16 11:09 PM
138 ... 456
tools
    There is nothing wrong with BB10. Unfortunately is was rejected by large numbers of consumers and developers.

IMO BlackBerry's best chance of salvaging the device business is by using the world's most used mobile OS.

BB10 like WebOs has its fans and for good reason. But BlackBerry needs to do more than build a limited number of devices for a small following. They need to turn a profit. The Priv should start moving the dial that direction.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Last edited by paulbbp; 12-31-15 at 07:05 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-30-15 08:22 PM
    It's best to use emoji to help people know when you are kidding....

You are kidding right?
    No, I am not kidding.
    I have written this at least one more time here.
    All the updates have been incremental. The main functionality was there from the start in February 2013.
    I lost functionality with 10.3.1 due to flash missing from the browser.
    I do not want to use mobile versions of websites. Luckily there is Zeus.
    01-01-16 04:34 AM
    There is nothing wrong with BB10. Unfortunately is was rejected by large numbers of consumers and developers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Developers did not reject BB10. Rather it was BlackBerry who rejected developers.

Consumers (even pro-sumers) did not reject BB10. Rather, consumers never knew about BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 11:36 AM
    Developers did not reject BB10. Rather it was BlackBerry who rejected developers.

Posted via CB10
    This is absolutely false.

BlackBerry employees went without sleep working with devs - helping with and approving apps.

There were all kinds of port-a-thons, millions of dollars in rewards, developer conferences, and BlackBerry people running into the offices of all of the major app creators, etc, etc, etc.

They had the built for BlackBerry initiative, provided support for Android ports, html5, native C/C++, Air, jQuery, Marmalade, Qt, PhoneGap, Appcelerator, Sencha, and BlackBerry App generator.

I firmly believe they did everything humanly possible to get the apps and build an ecosystem. Sure mistakes were made, but the intent and effort was absolutely there.

After ALL of that, the big guys didn't come. By the Summer of 2013, it was over - and everyone knew it.

A marketing campaign in 2014 wouldn't have changed anything. An all-touch BB10 flagship in 2014 wouldn't have changed anything. Lithuanian language support wouldn't have changed anything.

If, in Feb 2013, Google had brought their apps (like they did for Apple), and Netflix and Instagram had come, we may very well be having different conversations right now.
    01-01-16 11:53 AM
    This is absolutely false.

BlackBerry employees went without sleep working with devs - helping with and approving apps.

There were all kinds of port-a-thons, millions of dollars in rewards, developer conferences, and BlackBerry people running into the offices of all of the major app creators, etc, etc, etc.

They had the built for BlackBerry initiative, provided support for Android ports, html5, native C/C++, Air, jQuery, Marmalade, Qt, PhoneGap, Appcelerator, Sencha, and BlackBerry App generator.

I firmly believe they did everything humanly possible to get the apps and build an ecosystem. Sure mistakes were made, but the intent and effort was absolutely there.

After ALL of that, the big guys didn't come. By the Summer of 2013, it was over - and everyone knew it.

A marketing campaign in 2014 wouldn't have changed anything. An all-touch BB10 flagship in 2014 wouldn't have changed anything. Lithuanian language support wouldn't have changed anything.

If, in Feb 2013, Google had brought their apps (like they did for Apple), and Netflix and Instagram had come, we may very well be having different conversations right now.
    BlackBerry rejected developers (just like they've rejected carriers) by never committing enough of their own skin in the name of advertising.

Developers, just like carriers, are never going to come knocking at the doors of hardware manufacturers that aren't committed enough to their own products to advertise.

It is not the sole job of developers and carriers to promote a platform.

Of course developers aren't going to give long term commitment to an entity that doesn't believe in themselves enough to advertise.

When no one knows you exist there is exactly zero chance of success.

It really is that simple.

Oh... and the tired old argument that BlackBerry can never afford to advertise has been proven false now with the Priv. And guess what? When you tell more people about it... more people buy it...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 01-01-16 at 01:33 PM.
    01-01-16 01:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    They spent tons of money advertising when it mattered - at launch.

No Netflix - no chance.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-01-16 01:32 PM
    They spent tons of money advertising when it mattered - at launch.

No Netflix - no chance.
    When it was still immature and flawed.

And it was a ridiculous ad campaign anyway.

The tired old arguments that BlackBerry can't advertise are already proven false with the Priv.

When people are aware they will come.

The fact that cannot be disproved (actually had been proved over and over and over again) is that NO ONE outside these forums had any idea BB10 even existed.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry rejected developers (just like they've rejected carriers) by never committing enough of their own skin in the name of advertising.

Developers, just like carriers, are never going to come knocking at the doors of hardware manufacturers that aren't committed enough to their own products to advertise.

It is not the sole job of developers and carriers to promote a platform.

Of course developers aren't going to give long term commitment to an entity that doesn't believe in themselves enough to advertise.

Oh... and the tired old argument that BlackBerry can never afford to advertise has been proven false now with the Priv. And guess what? When you tell more people about it... more people buy it...

Posted via CB10
    Can you comment how Microsoft brought Windows Phone to its "success"? They've spent an insane amount of money on promoting it compared to BB so would you say who rejected who?
    01-01-16 02:10 PM
    Can you comment how Microsoft brought Windows Phone to its "success"? They've spent an insane amount of money on promoting it compared to BB so would you say who rejected who?
    Well of course you have to have the right product first. Mature, stable and productive.

MS does not have that... never did.

But Chen had all those things under his watch. And he willfully chose to ignore them... right up until the Priv.

And guess what? When you have those things... and you tell people... they will come.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 02:24 PM
    At this point I don't really care if the Priv saves BlackBerry.

If the Priv is successful, then BlackBerry is likely to drop BB10 handsets.
    If the Priv is unsuccessful, then BlackBerry is even more likely to get out of the handset business.

A company that produces only Android based products is useless to me. Therefore, I don't really care if the Priv saves BlackBerry.
    lift and techvisor like this.
    01-01-16 02:52 PM
    Take it for what its worth, but for most people, there is no reason to change platforms. Most are happy with their current choice and even if BB had advertised, wouldn't have switched anyway. It is what it is. Unless something changes no amount of advertising, development or overall awareness will change the landscape established.
    01-01-16 02:55 PM
    Take it for what its worth, but for most people, there is no reason to change platforms. Most are happy with their current choice and even if BB had advertised, wouldn't have switched anyway. It is what it is. Unless something changes no amount of advertising, development or overall awareness will change the landscape established.
    Most that I know are "invested" in a platform.... My wife got an iPhone because of the app purchases she had made for her iPad. And here I think Apple has the advantage as much of their ecosystem isn't all that easy to transfer.

Me, I might have $20 bucks invested in the BB10 platform... between a few paid apps, and some $.99 movies over the years. Of course the movies from BlackBerry weren't perminment... they were more long term rentals, as the ability to redownload them went away after a while (not sure if you bought full priced movies). Whereas my wife easily has a few $100 in apps and content from Apple.

So I can see for some.... there is every reason not to change their platforms.

But for Android users there is little difference between one Android OEM or another. So it's not like going for HTC to BlackBerry would make much of a difference. Other than the device it's self.... and that is just a different problem for BlackBerry.
    techvisor and sallenthornton like this.
    01-04-16 10:20 AM
    Except DTek let's you monitor app activity, two months in...two major OTA updates and the BlackBerry apps that make it not your average Droid...other than that, SNAP.....THE Camera....it isn't normal either.

K....that's it....other than that, just average.

you've been made privy to my thoughts.
    01-04-16 11:09 PM
138 ... 456