The Priv to me is not a BlackBerry phone, I still think it's a samsung device with a BB logo, the phones i have seen are cheap and flimsy , its not worth the 900.00 dollars, it should have come out at the normal BB pricing of 650.00 i think then it would have sold of the charts, but to charge that much for that phone with all the problems of screen clicking and over heating with a really untested BB security on Android (LOL) not a chance. I also would like to know how many users they are actually up as i think BB10 user are dropping off just as fast as the Priv sells. So I also went to the Iphone 6s plus, this device is worth every penny, unlike the topic of the day the Priv.
    lift, early2bed, dolco and 2 others like this.
    12-15-15 12:09 PM
    Say whatever you want, but all the iOS users hanging out in the Priv forum is a very good sign that things are starting to turn around for BlackBerry!
    I have a friend who switched from iOS (her only OS prior to the change) to the Priv. Now she spends her time on the 6s forum telling everyone how much she dislikes iOS and bought the Priv.....oh wait, she hasn't because that would be silly.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-15-15 12:29 PM
    But why waste energy hating another OS? I don't get it.

Besides, if the Priv does well, BlackBerry's handset division stays in business and BB10 stays in the game. Who knows? Maybe we will even see a BB11 someday.
    It is being forced to drop BB10 and adopt stupid Android . This is the reason of hate

Posted via Passport
    lift, dolco, techvisor and 1 others like this.
    12-15-15 12:29 PM
    im really curious how many loyal bb fans they lost vs the amount of ppl they gained from the android market. they lost me for good for sure
    Yup. My guess is that Chen is betting on those coming off BBOS will be more inclined to try Android on BlackBerry than BB10 and that Play will entice those who left BB10 because the app gap. However, unlike Thor, Chen has yet to pinpoint any specific target outside of an ambiguous 5M sales (is this of a combination BB10/Priv sales? Would this number include Vienna sales if it sees the light of day in 2016? And so on.). At least Thor had the gumption to state his only immediate goal was to retain as many BBOS users as possible with a longer term secondary goal of edging out MS for the #3 spot.

Chen is smart enough to realize the Priv is going to turn away some BB10 fans but the irony here is that the pkb, even if a slider format, the Hub, "security", and a few other tidbits are mostly going to be things that appeal to more BB10 users than Android users. Ironically being that those BB10 users are only a drop in the market as it is.

The phone hasn't sold in numbers due to Chen being "cautious" in terms of inventory. The numbers are probably disappointing.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, being sold out at certain venues is not an indication of the Priv being in demand in and of itself considering that those stores likely only had a small number of Privs in stock to begin with.

Stock bumped and settled to the 7-8 range- just as I have said Chen wants it- my theory is all holding true thus far.

A year from now stock will remain relatively unchanged with maybe another "last" chance get out for some @ a 9 or 10$ rally- 1 or at most 2 PY's from now a sale of BlackBerry will happen, in my guess to SAP or subsidiary.
    The speculations I have seen point to a cap of $11 tops one year from now. Likely, it will remain at $8 or so USD.

This may be due to the fact that they didn't produce many of them, but it does affect how well they'll sell. The average consumer wants to join 'the latest hot thing' - you cannot have a 'hot thing' if people cannot buy them. Luckily there hasn't been any major tech release over the period since the Priv launch to distract the consumer from the Priv.
    Right. However one of the first things Chen went on record with in Dec. 2013/Jan. 2014 was that going forward BlackBerry would only do limited number runs.

Not necessarily. A lot of companies really do withhold their official numbers until quarterly reports / shareholders' meetings. Off of the top of my head, for example, John Legere of T-Mobile always indulged the subscriber numbers at the quarterly, and it was usually guesswork by enthusiasts prior to the official announcement. LG, also, does something more similar to Chen in that they release total sales during the quarterly, and only some time after do you get sales by device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The point is that the earnings calls come 2 months or so after the reporting quarter has ended. While Chen can certainly mention the Priv and sales if he likes, any financials relating to Priv sales will not be made available until the Feb/March call.

This is an interesting thought, but I doubt we'll be able to quantify it as we won't know whether the Priv adopters are existing BlackBerry fans or new-to-BB users.

I'm not sure BlackBerry has 'lost' me, but I'm certainly not buying a Priv - or any non-BB10 BlackBerry handset. I don't think I'm the only one who's saying that. But if poor sales of non-BB10 phones translate into meaning BlackBerry eventually has to drop support their BB10 operating system, then they'll definitely have lost me (to another better-value-for-money brand).

UnderPRIVileged - I'm sticking with BB10
    Well, BlackBerry can surely quantify it through the aid of BlackBerry ID and each handset's own unique PIN.

Since I am on Verizon I am limited by choice; either the Classic, Z30, or wait the Priv. I am not a fan of Google, so likely the other two for me.

Its an android device in a Blackberry forum.... Even blackberry doesn't call it a Blackberry.... its "Priv by Blackberry" It really belongs in Android central.
    Right, and it was not that long ago when Android was considered the enemy by many.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    12-15-15 12:34 PM
    Yup. My guess is that Chen is betting on those coming off BBOS will be more inclined to try Android on BlackBerry than BB10 and that Play will entice those who left BB10 because the app gap. However, unlike Thor, Chen has yet to pinpoint any specific target outside of an ambiguous 5M sales (is this of a combination BB10/Priv sales? Would this number include Vienna sales if it sees the light of day in 2016? And so on.). At least Thor had the gumption to state his only immediate goal was to retain as many BBOS users as possible with a longer term secondary goal of edging out MS for the #3 spot.

Chen is smart enough to realize the Priv is going to turn away some BB10 fans but the irony here is that the pkb, even if a slider format, the Hub, "security", and a few other tidbits are mostly going to be things that appeal to more BB10 users than Android users. Ironically being that those BB10 users are only a drop in the market as it is.

Yeah, being sold out at certain venues is not an indication of the Priv being in demand in and of itself considering that those stores likely only had a small number of Privs in stock to begin with.

The speculations I have seen point to a cap of $11 tops one year from now. Likely, it will remain at $8 or so USD.

Right. However one of the first things Chen went on record with in Dec. 2013/Jan. 2014 was that going forward BlackBerry would only do limited number runs.

The point is that the earnings calls come 2 months or so after the reporting quarter has ended. While Chen can certainly mention the Priv and sales if he likes, any financials relating to Priv sales will not be made available until the Feb/March call.

Well, BlackBerry can surely quantify it through the aid of BlackBerry ID and each handset's own unique PIN.

Since I am on Verizon I am limited by choice; either the Classic, Z30, or wait the Priv. I am not a fan of Google, so likely the other two for me.

Right, and it was not that long ago when Android was considered the enemy by many.
    its like 20-25 days normally and most all priv sales in Nov will count for this earnings call
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and dolco like this.
    12-15-15 12:49 PM

With Verizon rumored to not have the PRIV till Feb, and a number of other markets also looking at Feb for a launch time frame..... could be even the March call won't be able to clearly tell us much. Especially when at that point sales of BBOS (still a few) and BB10 will really start dragging down the sales numbers..... by then I imagine it will be a little clearer that BB10 is only getting minimum support.

Chen is very good at putting investors off until later.....
    kirson and techvisor like this.
    12-15-15 12:56 PM
    I don't personally think that you will hear anything about the Priv on Friday. I also don't think that this device is selling well. I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist, and while I know that Craigslist is not a true indicator of how well something is selling, you can definitely gauge popularity on there. The Priv barely has any postings for a city of ~2m (less than 10 at any given point in time). Most of the postings are stale, being at least a week old or more. Some are several weeks old. I've seen them reappearing with slight price drops. They turn over occasionally, and a new posting pops in. Overall, Priv moves as slow as molasses on Craigslist and very few people are selling it. That indicates both low buying from retail outlets and low demand from second-hand buyers.

The situation above is exacerbated by the fact that most other flagships (virtually every Android flagship) is available for less money than the Priv, both in retail outlets and on the second-hand/gray market.
    lift, JeepBB, early2bed and 1 others like this.
    12-15-15 01:21 PM
    FYI on earnings period:

Q2 Quarter End: August 29, 2015 Reporting Date: September 25, 2015
    Q3 Quarter End: November 28, 2015 Reporting Date: December 18, 2015
    12-15-15 02:18 PM
    We'll know for sure on Friday
    The title of this thread is a bit melodramatic. The question is not - at this point - whether or not the Priv will "save BlackBerry". The company is not in immediate danger of running out of cash, bankruptcy or foreclosure. It's not even close really, nor has it ever really been despite press rhetoric. For all their faults, Mike and Jim did instill a sense of fiscal responsibility.

The real question is whether or not the Priv can ignite BlackBerry's struggling handset business to justify BlackBerry keeping that segment of the business open, or continuing in it.

But again, i have no concern of the lights going out in Waterloo any time soon. I do have some concern that we won't see many more devices if things don't turn around. I don't quite believe the Priv is "the last", but I do believe if things don't go in the right direction in the next few quarter, BlackBerry is going to become a much smaller software and services company that doesn't make hardware.
    JeepBB, kirson, mister2d and 5 others like this.
    12-15-15 02:52 PM
    I tend to agree that we won't find out much from Friday's earnings report, it's too close to the date of the Priv becoming generally available.

There'll be useful indicators and trends... such as if BB sell more than the 800k of last quarter. Fewer overall device sales mean either the Priv isn't selling well or (possibly) that BB10 sales have collapsed and the Priv sales weren't enough to compensate. More than 800k sales will be a positive indicator for the Priv.

I actually believe the numbers will be better than 800k. I believe there are enough BB die-hards who will (through varying intensities of gritted-teeth ) buy the Priv; and enough non-BB "hipsters" wanting to try something new, to give the Priv relatively good sales. So, I think Priv sales will be healthy, though not dramatic, and help the quarterly total numbers to around 1M.

I'd be very surprised if the analysts in the later earnings call let Chen get away with hand-waving generalities. They are going to want to hear the hard numbers of how well Priv is selling. If Chen is vague, then he'll be judged harshly IMO.

I feel bad about saying this, because it always irritates me when the BB fanbois on here excuse poor quarterly results by saying "just wait until next quarter", but I think in this case it really is the next quarter that is the important one. The hipsters may have moved onto the next "shiny", and the remaining stubborn () BB10 diehards may not be be able to bring themselves to move to (big, bad) Android. Consequently, any sales momentum the Priv had in this quarter will fade... and BB's hardware will be done when Chen pulls the plug.

So, next quarter is the big one! LOL
    12-15-15 03:39 PM
    BlackBerry is DEAD
    lift likes this.
    12-15-15 03:49 PM
    Is there something to this rumour, or is this just the media expecting blackberry to provide details on the Priv?

"BlackBerry is expected to provide details on sales of its Priv smartphone in its third-quarter results Friday"

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ults+Friday%22
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-15-15 at 04:23 PM.
    12-15-15 04:11 PM
    I tend to agree that we won't find out much from Friday's earnings report, it's too close to the date of the Priv becoming generally available.

There'll be useful indicators and trends... such as if BB sell more than the 800k of last quarter. Fewer overall device sales mean either the Priv isn't selling well or (possibly) that BB10 sales have collapsed and the Priv sales weren't enough to compensate. More than 800k sales will be a positive indicator for the Priv.

I actually believe the numbers will be better than 800k. I believe there are enough BB die-hards who will (through varying intensities of gritted-teeth ) buy the Priv; and enough non-BB "hipsters" wanting to try something new, to give the Priv relatively good sales. So, I think Priv sales will be healthy, though not dramatic, and help the quarterly total numbers to around 1M.

I'd be very surprised if the analysts in the later earnings call let Chen get away with hand-waving generalities. They are going to want to hear the hard numbers of how well Priv is selling. If Chen is vague, then he'll be judged harshly IMO.

I feel bad about saying this, because it always irritates me when the BB fanbois on here excuse poor quarterly results by saying "just wait until next quarter", but I think in this case it really is the next quarter that is the important one. The hipsters may have moved onto the next "shiny", and the remaining stubborn () BB10 diehards may not be be able to bring themselves to move to (big, bad) Android. Consequently, any sales momentum the Priv had in this quarter will fade... and BB's hardware will be done when Chen pulls the plug.

So, next quarter is the big one! LOL
    I don't know. I guess we'll see, but struggling companies usually smear their food on the dinner plate and act like they've accomplished something. Same will be true again when BBRY reports. Handset sales will be spread across this reporting period and the period after. It'll be difficult to see just how much they've sold. Revenue will be the big indicator.
    12-15-15 05:39 PM
    Sorry but I don't think Friday well tell us anything about PRIV sales...... unless Chen is generous and will share some actual numbers outside of the official "what gets counted in the quarter" numbers.

One thing that might be interesting is BB10 sales.... might be more than a few enterprise and consumer customers "stocking up" on BB10 devices.
    Pretty much. Anyone hoping for a lot of Priv details on the earnings has their heads in the clouds.
    12-15-15 06:14 PM
    Pretty much. Anyone hoping for a lot of Priv details on the earnings has their heads in the clouds.

Agreed.

"Priv sales are in line (or exceeding) our expectations".

That will be the only mention.
    kbz1960 and techvisor like this.
    12-15-15 06:20 PM
    I predict that Priv sales will be characterized as "steady."
    12-15-15 06:25 PM
    I predict what Bla1ze said.
    12-15-15 06:51 PM
    I predict what Bla1ze said.
    I predicted you would say that.
    12-15-15 06:58 PM
    I predicted you would say that.
    For some reason I knew it was you before I looked. Lol

You trolling me. Lmfao
    12-15-15 07:34 PM
    Only thing we'll might know on Friday is if the Priv failed hard and is NOT the handset division savior.
    From what I can see/read/feel/believe [it doesn't matter anyways] it's not the case.

Besides that, we have to wait for the end of exclusivities and - moreover - worldwide launch until we know how good/bad it is. Priv launch had hiccough - we're still to know why - and sales period was a very narrow window in the quarter.

So, let's wait for the sentence "launch in [put your country here] starting [put a date here]".
    The more occurrences we have for countries and the shorter delay, the best sign it'll be.
    12-16-15 06:52 AM
    Only thing we'll might know on Friday is if the Priv failed hard and is NOT the handset division savior.
    From what I can see/read/feel/believe [it doesn't matter anyways] it's not the case.

Besides that, we have to wait for the end of exclusivities and - moreover - worldwide launch until we know how good/bad it is. Priv launch had hiccough - we're still to know why - and sales period was a very narrow window in the quarter.

So, let's wait for the sentence "launch in [put your country here] starting [put a date here]".
    The more occurrences we have for countries and the shorter delay, the best sign it'll be.
    So we'll need to wait till June before we know if the PRIV is "really" making a difference..... as it seems that Feb is when phase II of the launch will be taking place, and very little of Feb will be counted in the 4th Quarter by the March Earnings Report. Almost seems like strategic planning.....

Personally I kinda taught that the PRIV was just a "proof of concept" for the BlackBerry Experience and that BlackBerry really wouldn't try very hard to market the PRIV. So far they haven't tried very hard to market the PRIV, and in fact, really limited it's production. But then again they haven't said a word about the BlackBerry Experience Suite of Apps either. Other than several of the key Apps aren't even being worked on or have been EOL.
    12-16-15 07:31 AM
    Maybe.

'it all started with the  Priv...'
    12-16-15 07:39 AM
    as it seems that Feb is when phase II of the launch will be taking place
    You know much more I'm able to tell ...
    12-16-15 09:32 AM
    Agreed.

"Priv sales are in line (or exceeding) our expectations".

That will be the only mention.
    And honestly, that's pretty typical. Companies (BlackBerry included) don't typically break out individual model sales. I know we're all curious but they haven't typically done it before (Z10 launch quarter was the only time I can remember this ever been done) and I doubt they'll do much now, whether we like it or not.

Same as Apple announces iPad sales, but doesn't separate mini from air from pro.

BlackBerry will announce handset sales, software sales, services sales.

Maaaaybe, they'll break the line up between BBOS, BlackBerry 10 and Android. but that's a big maybe.
    12-16-15 09:49 AM
    Maaaaybe, they'll break the line up between BBOS, BlackBerry 10 and Android. but that's a big maybe.
    IMHO, there's no font size big enough to apply to this "maybe"
    Doing so will lead to weird calculations, projections and speculations that even the best P.R in the world won't be able to control: Exactly what they want to avoid.

P.S: Unless the figures are stellar, of course.
    JeepBB and mister2d like this.
    12-16-15 10:29 AM
138 12345 ...