"The Germans are furious. The Spaniards are incensed. The Americans are on the defensive.

And the Canadians? The ones at Blackberrys headquarters are surely smiling. "

On Monday evening, NBCs Nightly News with Brian Williams reminded millions of viewers that the most powerful politician in the world, a guy who can pretty much have whatever gadgets he wants, has yet to switch to an iPhone:

Andrea Mitchell: President Obama is the first U.S. President to use a BlackBerry, overruling objections from the CIA and NSA.
    NBC News Counterterrorism Expert Michael Leiter: Knowing other countries would be interested in listening to his phone calls, he ended up using one of the most secure BlackBerrys on earth.
    Andrea Mitchell: He wont give it up.
    NBC News reporter Peter Alexander [at a recent White House press conference]: Is the president still using his BlackBerry?
    White House Press Secretary Jay Carney: I have no change to announce in terms of the presidents communications.
    Andrea Mitchell: He loves that BlackBerry.

As Spying Scandal Roils Capitals, Obama Holds Tight to His Trusty BlackBerry - Businessweek
    melb_me, nquyen and jxnb like this.
    10-29-13 02:26 PM
    Yup....Executive branch has BlackBerry....
    southlander likes this.
    10-29-13 02:37 PM
    Is he still using Legacy OS devices?
    If he is, they should get him a BlackBerry 10 device to test out (Even though people still miss some legacy os features)
    But knowing BlackBerry and their marketing, not holding my breath on this

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:23 PM
    Of all the missed opportunities for Blackberry, this has to be the biggest. Apple's comeback was almost singlehandedly started by those amazing "Hello I'm a Mac" commercials. Sure the products mattered, in particular the ipod and iphone, which had nothing to do with these commercials, but these commercials carried a simple message, which even if it was exaggerated, made people believe Apple products could be trusted. Samsung has done the same with its commercials recently mocking Apple and Blackberry. How Blackberry missed this opportunity to mock other phones and simultaneously build up their image as the only smartphone that can be trusted as a secure device, I will never understand. They simply have a corporate culture which always focuses on playing it safe, which unfortunately does not cut it when you have the types of competitors they do.
    10-29-13 03:39 PM
    Of all the missed opportunities for Blackberry, this has to be the biggest. Apple's comeback was almost singlehandedly started by those amazing "Hello I'm a Mac" commercials. Sure the products mattered, in particular the ipod and iphone, which had nothing to do with these commercials, but these commercials carried a simple message, which even if it was exaggerated, made people believe Apple products could be trusted. Samsung has done the same with its commercials recently mocking Apple and Blackberry. How Blackberry missed this opportunity to mock other phones and simultaneously build up their image as the only smartphone that can be trusted as a secure device, I will never understand. They simply have a corporate culture which always focuses on playing it safe, which unfortunately does not cut it when you have the types of competitors they do.
    The key to the security of a BlackBerry is BES. You can bet that within the corporate sales channels, the BB folks are using this to their advantage. After all selling some money losing or even break-even handsets is one thing, but selling highly profitable software and services that locks in the customer (to whatever degree) is better. And makes them more likely to add BB handsets as well since only a BES can manage BlackBerrys.

This is not the flashy news you are going to see all over the blogs, but you can bet BB is using the scandals to push BES to enterprise.
    10-29-13 03:46 PM
    I guess that is my point. Apple used the tendency of Microsoft PC's to get viruses as a way to market their computers as being virus free, smoother, faster, better, etc. Some of that may have been true, but it is also true that there was not much interest in creating malware, viruses, etc. for an OS which had such a small market share. It did not stop Apple from exploiting customer's generally held beliefs into a good marketing campaign. Who ever said there was truth in advertising? When you play it conservatively though, you take Blackberry's approach (i.e. corporate sales channels, behind the scenes) as opposed to Apple's approach (flashy marketing, shout from the mountain tops).
    10-29-13 04:23 PM
    A long while back someone commented that he only uses his BlackBerry to speak with his family. The poster said all official government communications from the President have to be recorded and I guess that leaves out cell phones?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:12 PM
    No one is furious. It's all posturing.
    10-29-13 10:56 PM
    Obama actually has a special BlackBerry designed just for him. It's way beyond the security any of BlackBerry on a retail level. I've only seen one photo of half the phone back in 2008. Even though it had the BlackBerry trademark look, it definitely came with way more buttons.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 12:22 AM