I was going over some reading material for a class and came across this article by one of the professors at Warwick Business School. He argues that blackberry's survival is not based on consumer market but how the company as a whole can evolve to keep a hold on the enterprise market through the BES. His thesis is that eventually the smartphone market will converge to the point where the OS and phones will not really matter as they would be the simple tools of accessing data present in the cloud. And when it comes to managing this data, BB holds the edge currently but again it can't rest on it laurels like it did when faced by the challenge of the iphone. You can access the article below:

BlackBerry has one last chance to survive - Winnipeg Free Press
    yvpan1, jxnb and Bacon Munchers like this.
    07-09-13 03:25 AM
    I read the article and I have a few observations:

- HTML5 is not yet on par with native coded apps in some areas
    - BES10 competitive advantage is harder to maintain when dealing mostly (or exclusively) with devices not built by BlackBerry. Dealing with third party devices creates a level playing field for all competitors on the device management market.
    - The best positioned to monetize the cloud (and already doing so with excellent results) are some of BlackBerry's rivals - Apple and Google.

At this point I don't believe that exiting the market for mobile devices would be a wise strategy - at least not if you don't want to drastically downsize the company. BB10 is a good OS that only gets better - let's see what can be achieved with it.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-09-13 04:18 AM
    I was going over some reading material for a class and came across this article by one of the professors at Warwick Business School. He argues that blackberry's survival is not based on consumer market but how the company as a whole can evolve to keep a hold on the enterprise market through the BES. His thesis is that eventually the smartphone market will converge to the point where the OS and phones will not really matter as they would be the simple tools of accessing data present in the cloud. And when it comes to managing this data, BB holds the edge currently but again it can't rest on it laurels like it did when faced by the challenge of the iphone. You can access the article below: BlackBerry has one last chance to survive - Winnipeg Free Press
    Well, on a general point of view, I may say I do not agree with this (well argued) approach.
    When it claims the future is in the cloud power BlackBerry approach is that you mobile device will become your "mainframe".
    Sure it will rely on cloud storage and applications. But it is meant to have its own life. Even more : giving life to passive or different (platforms, vendors) devices.
    That is the real chance to beat the competition, and is summarized by "power in the palm of your hand" (I won't use "palm" in a public communication though lol). Just imagine the day when your ipad will turn into a bigger screen for your BB10 device ...

EDIT : Then, of course BES is part of this as the bandmaster
    JM 2 cents.
    07-09-13 07:13 AM