Guys, how about blackberry locking the keyboard on z devices allowing them to mimic q devices, then accessory manufacturers can produce qwerty keyboards, cases, slip ons, clip on keyboards etc...

So I user can use full touch, or slip on the keyboard and use qwert!

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    01-23-14 03:40 PM
    Guys, how about blackberry locking the keyboard on z devices allowing them to mimic q devices, then accessory manufacturers can produce qwerty keyboards, cases, slip ons, clip on keyboards etc...

You mean like the "Typo" device for iPhone?
    01-23-14 03:50 PM

I think that would be more valid for the Z30, in the Z10 case, I think you should just get a Q10.
    01-23-14 04:02 PM
    I think that would be more valid for the Z30, in the Z10 case, I think you should just get a Q10.
    Or maybe just wait for the Q30 or Q50, which should have more screen real estate.
    01-23-14 07:47 PM
    You mean like the "Typo" device for iPhone?
    No, looses functionality like swipe up and button, because it is not fully designed by iphone and is not integrated properly in the software.

Qmode keeps these functionalities by putting the z device in it allowing it to fully function (like the q10) while the keyboard is locked.

01-23-14 11:01 PM
    Read my signature! Been on Q10 since release! Would never change am a qwerty guy, just thinking of ways to help touch guys who want a small taste of qwerty

01-23-14 11:03 PM
    It would only work with Z30, due to screen ratio, it can easily be converted, same width ratio as the q10 (720)

01-23-14 11:04 PM
    I have a Z10 for almost a year now. This is my first virtual keyboard after using many bb's and Treo's.

I am soooo done with typing on a screen! Maybe its just me, but I keep typing the wrong characters and autocorrect keeps correcting wrong. I think the virtual keyboard is just a hype, introduced by Apple. Yes, full touchscreen devices look slick, but their ergonomics suck!

So my next device will have a physical keyboard. I might get a used Q10 or better, i'll wait for the Q30...

STL100-2 OS10.2.1.1925
    01-31-14 02:59 PM
    I personally love the z10 keyboard. If you have ever used a android or iPhone then you would realize how great this one is. Maybe you have. Each to their own but I rarely make a mistake with the flick features on this keyboard. Was constantly fixing what auto correct was doing to me on android. BlackBerry texting is a breath of fresh air.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 04:47 PM
    Well I know I can sort of do it with latex gloves if I have to as a paramedic. It's not perfect but it does work.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 04:49 PM
    Business users prefer keyboards. A big part of BlackBerry's failure with the Q10 was not ensuring that every single key shortcut that was on OS7 devices was also on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    The big failure for me, as someone who makes a lot of calls, was that the Q10 was missing the "call" and "end" keys. Speed and ease of use when using the phone as a phone is greatly reduced since my 9900.
    02-02-14 12:30 PM
    I think the whole keyboard thing is so that blackberries look separate, think about it there are now curved display phones, really really big phones, and phones with iconic looks and feels. The move to make BETTER qwerty phones is smart. It gives blackberry some originality and is sticking to their roots. If they keep enhancing the BB10 experience, and make a bigger screen for the qwerty phones, they cool essentially make them cool again, and get customers back. Think of all the businesses that will come back.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 09:22 PM
    I think the whole keyboard thing is so that blackberries look separate, think about it there are now curved display phones, really really big phones, and phones with iconic looks and feels. The move to make BETTER qwerty phones is smart. It gives blackberry some originality and is sticking to their roots. If they keep enhancing the BB10 experience, and make a bigger screen for the qwerty phones, they cool essentially make them cool again, and get customers back. Think of all the businesses that will come back.

Posted via CB10
    It would be interesting to see how things unfold in the future.
    02-03-14 07:12 AM
    In the most recent Bloomberg interview with John Chen, I observed that he was, kind of, bullish or exuberant about the BlackBerry phones with the physical keyboards. He alluded that BlackBerry will be focusing more on phones with physical keyboards.

This made me wonder if there is still a huge market for physical keyboard devices? Or is he about to pigeon hole BlackBerry which ultimately will be another strategic blunder. I am quite aware that there is still many fans of the physical keyboard but are they enough and willing or eager to cross over to the BB10 platform?

Personally, I am all for the "touch phones" and I think BlackBerry's virtual keyboard is awesome and professionally my Z30 does everything I want and then some.

Just curious, what is it that the physical keyboard lovers like so much that they adamantly refuse to switch to "all touch phones", which incidentally is where the rest of the world is move to or gravitating to.
    People text more now days than ever before and that's not going to stop. I find that people who have full touchscreen phones reply with a much shorter text message with each text into to the conversation. Maybe not all full touch people do this but that's my experience. Communication is key!

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    02-03-14 07:24 AM
    I have a Z10 for almost a year now. This is my first virtual keyboard after using many bb's and Treo's.

I am soooo done with typing on a screen! Maybe its just me, but I keep typing the wrong characters and autocorrect keeps correcting wrong. I think the virtual keyboard is just a hype, introduced by Apple. Yes, full touchscreen devices look slick, but their ergonomics suck!

So my next device will have a physical keyboard. I might get a used Q10 or better, i'll wait for the Q30...

STL100-2 OS10.2.1.1925
    Like my Z10 but have to agree does not matter what platform one uses all the same. If acurracy and speed is what one looks for physical keyboard is better.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:12 AM
    I personally love the z10 keyboard. If you have ever used a android or iPhone then you would realize how great this one is. Maybe you have. Each to their own but I rarely make a mistake with the flick features on this keyboard. Was constantly fixing what auto correct was doing to me on android. BlackBerry texting is a breath of fresh air.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I also have to agree with you when it comes to touch screen I believe you are right after using a few other platforms I believe BlackBerry did a good job with theirs. But physical keyboard I believe is more accurate.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:19 AM
    People text more now days than ever before and that's not going to stop. I find that people who have full touchscreen phones reply with a much shorter text message with each text into to the conversation. Maybe not all full touch people do this but that's my experience. Communication is key!

Sounds like an interesting observation; if accurate, maybe BlackBerry will have a "safety net" in the mobile phone market, after all. Time will tell.
    02-03-14 09:50 AM

Agree that more people have devices today and text messaging is still the most common as it is the most compatible. But I've noticed as more people move to smartphones, that the abbreviations have started to disappear. It is almost a quick to type with a Swiftkey type application as it is to use abbreviations.

Think one of the best features they could add to BBM would be SMS/MMS integration. For that matter add an email compatibility too.... Let us choose to send message for each contact - either via BBM transport, via SMS or via email. If by email, it should create a unique address that when replied too it would send it back to you using BBM. Would be a great communications tool.
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-03-14 11:27 AM
68 123