I'm proficient enough on slabs note that I wouldn't return to physical if i didn't have to.

I think there is still a market for the latter, but OP does raise an interacting question: can it, on its own, sustain BBRY over the long term?

Hopefully, we don't have to find out. Maybe we can get a heightened focus on pk devices without forgoing slabs completely.
    01-13-14 02:03 PM
    I just see it as more of an admission that their only solid base of profitable customers is the enterprise, which buys BlackBerrys for the physical qwerty KB's for the most part.

I think he sees a future where BB (BES) manages and provides the top secure messaging to all the major platforms better than anyone else. And companies and gov. agencies will offer qwerty BlackBerrys to those that absolutely need the real KB and iPhones/Android to those that want touch.
    01-13-14 03:04 PM
    I'm proficient enough on slabs note that I wouldn't return to physical if i didn't have to.

I think there is still a market for the latter, but OP does raise an interacting question: can it, on its own, sustain BBRY over the long term?

Hopefully, we don't have to find out. Maybe we can get a heightened focus on pk devices without forgoing slabs completely.
    That's what I'm hoping for too.
    01-13-14 06:27 PM
    I just see it as more of an admission that their only solid base of profitable customers is the enterprise, which buys BlackBerrys for the physical qwerty KB's for the most part.

I think he sees a future where BB (BES) manages and provides the top secure messaging to all the major platforms better than anyone else. And companies and gov. agencies will offer qwerty BlackBerrys to those that absolutely need the real KB and iPhones/Android to those that want touch.
    Are there any specific reasons why the enterprise customers buy BlackBerrys for physical QWERTY? After all these same enterprise customers are buying iPhones and Androids with virtual keyboards. Kindly enlighten me.
    01-13-14 06:35 PM
    Are there any specific reasons why the enterprise customers buy BlackBerrys for physical QWERTY? After all these same enterprise customers are buying iPhones and Androids with virtual keyboards. Kindly enlighten me.
    Some changed to virtual keyboard, but many did stay with physical and prefer it... is about choice. Heavy texters would want mostly physical keyboard
    01-13-14 09:47 PM
    I've had a few legacy BlackBerry devices as well as a Z10 and a Q5.

I enjoyed the physical keyboards but I personally have not used a touchscreen keyboard, or any other for that matter, that can compete with the Z10 & I assume Z30 keyboard. With the Z's keyboard the typing was effortless.

At the moment I need to use an android touchscreen device and the keyboards available are really not that great from what I have seen so far.

Would it not be a good idea to make the BB10 virtual keyboard available to android devices, at a price and if possible, to build BlackBerry awareness and show android users another little bit of BlackBerry that makes BB10 great?

I would pay for a BlackBerry virtual keyboard! I'd rather have another BB Z but until I can use a crucial app on a Z10 with out any hiccups at all I am forced to use an android or iDevice.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-14-14 03:18 PM

I enjoyed the physical keyboards but I personally have not used a touchscreen keyboard, or any other for that matter, that can compete with the Z10 & I assume Z30 keyboard. With the Z's keyboard the typing was effortless.

At the moment I need to use an android touchscreen device and the keyboards available are really not that great from what I have seen so far.

Would it not be a good idea to make the BB10 virtual keyboard available to android devices, at a price and if possible, to build BlackBerry awareness and show android users another little bit of BlackBerry that makes BB10 great?

I would pay for a BlackBerry virtual keyboard! I'd rather have another BB Z but until I can use a crucial app on a Z10 with out any hiccups at all I am forced to use an android or iDevice.

The Z30 is even better to text. I tried it out and was a lot more acurate than in the. I think is due only to screen size, but is very cool to text
    01-14-14 03:46 PM

I empathize with you and totally agree. BlackBerry should give it serious consideration.
    01-14-14 04:59 PM
    I think the virtual keyboard is great. If I ever need to write a long detailed message I'll just pull my laptop out. Sometimes I even make, dare I say it, phone calls....... :O

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 05:02 PM

Install OS10 10.2.1 and enjoy all your android apps on your Z10... is so easy to install.
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-15-14 08:53 AM
    Not all of them are. There is a small niche market number as I recall someone (Chen??) saying, that prefer the real KB for very high volume text entry. So there's your answer. To some folks entering copius amounts of text in a business setting is more comfortable using a real KB. Like if you go into a bank and watch the tellers they'll be using real keyboards to key in data. In fact almost any data entry job will require a real keyboard. I suppose BlackBerry has determined the same is true for mobile phones.

Additionally however small the real KB market is BlackBerry owns it. So if there's one source, that means higher prices and margins per device.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-15-14 09:27 PM
    Not all of them are. There is a small niche market number as I recall someone (Chen??) saying, that prefer the real KB for very high volume text entry. So there's your answer. To some folks entering copius amounts of text in a business setting is more comfortable using a real KB. Like if you go into a bank and watch the tellers they'll be using real keyboards to key in data. In fact almost any data entry job will require a real keyboard. I suppose BlackBerry has determined the same is true for mobile phones.

Additionally however small the real KB market is BlackBerry owns it. So if there's one source, that means higher prices and margins per device.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    That makes sense. It's kinda like not "throwing away the baby with the bath water".
    01-16-14 07:45 AM
    Agreed. I don't believe he said it was an either or.
    ^^^ This. Chen expressed a preference, that the company's area of focus would be enterprise and QWERTY devices. Nowhere did he say either would be exclusive. BBRY will still offer products for consumers, and they will still offer touch screen phones; they are just not going to rely on them to be part of the company's salvation. Not for the immediate future, anyway.
    01-17-14 07:04 AM
    "Zed10" does not have a physical keyboard. Hope that's a typo.
    I don't think it's a typo - after stating what he hates the poster listed what he likes / probably owned.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:33 AM
    Install OS10 10.2.1 and enjoy all your android apps on your Z10... is so easy to install.
    "All" you say? C'mon stop giving people false expectations. Android app compatibility is nowhere near 100%. It's good though but it needs to keep improving.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:39 AM
    For me, the defining feature on a BlackBerry is a physical keyboard.

I had the Z. But THIS Q is what a BlackBerry is, to me. I should have gone from 9900 to the Q. It's what suits me best on a BlackBerry.

For me, Chen is right.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    The part of market appeals to physical keyboard is diminishing (in both enterprise or consumer markets) while the other part of the mart is growing explosively. If BlackBerry stays as what it was defined before, it will diminish with its market share. You may say a dinosaur 's defining feature is its size, that does not mean a dinosaur should stay with its defining feature to survive or prospect.

In that sense, Chen is wrong.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    01-17-14 08:00 AM
    I have been using the z10 for a year now and I love it. The first two weeks were a bit of a struggle but I got the hang of it. My personal position is that the qwerty is a thing of the past and the ones that still call for it simply have not made the transition. I have read a lot of the comments on this topic and am willing to accept that maybe I am wrong. The only reason why I am anxious to upgrade to the z30 is because I want the bigger screen.
    My suggestion is that JC focus on the Z30/Z50 but with a catch. What if BlackBerry came out with their own qwerty typo? What I envision is a qwerty typo that can be purchased separately or in a bundle when you buy your Z30/Z50. The qwerty will snap into the bottom of the device but has a hinge so it can be removed or folded flat like a flip. That way people can buy the Z30 on its own or get the additional qwerty typo as an add on.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 09:39 AM
    I have been using the z10 for a year now and I love it. The first two weeks were a bit of a struggle but I got the hang of it. My personal position is that the qwerty is a thing of the past and the ones that still call for it simply have not made the transition. I have read a lot of the comments on this topic and am willing to accept that maybe I am wrong. The only reason why I am anxious to upgrade to the z30 is because I want the bigger screen.
    My suggestion is that JC focus on the Z30/Z50 but with a catch. What if BlackBerry came out with their own qwerty typo? What I envision is a qwerty typo that can be purchased separately or in a bundle when you buy your Z30/Z50. The qwerty will snap into the bottom of the device but has a hinge so it can be removed or folded flat like a flip. That way people can buy the Z30 on its own or get the additional qwerty typo as an add on.

Posted via CB10
    Very interesting angle. I think it's worth exploring by BlackBerry, if they haven't done so already.
    01-17-14 10:04 AM
    does the z10 or z30 allow typing with gloves? that's the most important feature for a lot of contractors and workers like myself
    01-17-14 10:20 AM
    does the z10 or z30 allow typing with gloves? that's the most important feature for a lot of contractors and workers like myself
    Interesting. Does any phone have that feature, yet?
    01-17-14 10:28 AM
    There are specially designed gloves allowing you to type on a touch screen phone, it doesn't matter it?s a BlackBerry or iPhone

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    01-18-14 09:50 AM
    Physical keyboards are destined for oblivion.

Unless........they are made to seem smexy again.

Something like the glimmering "blade" concept phone could make keyboard phones king of the cool castle again. Perhaps.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 11:44 AM
    Physical keyboards are destined for oblivion.

Unless........they are made to seem smexy again.

Something like the glimmering "blade" concept phone could make keyboard phones king of the cool castle again. Perhaps.

Posted via CB10
    physical keyboard still has some advantages despite the evolution in digital keyboards, especialy the great ones in Z10 and Z30, but people like myself, the physical keyboard alows for extra ease of text on the go. It's all about preference, but I reckon for most of the people the on screen keyboard does a great job, and can be even faster than physical for the experienced ones. But for people like me, physical is still the most productive one.
    01-19-14 06:55 PM
    We will see a high end full touch screen model for Xmas season 2014 i can almost guarantee that.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 07:53 PM
    We will see a high end full touch screen model for Xmas season 2014 i can almost guarantee that.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you so sure? Do you have some insider info?
    01-19-14 11:19 PM
68 123