In the most recent Bloomberg interview with John Chen, I observed that he was, kind of, bullish or exuberant about the BlackBerry phones with the physical keyboards. He alluded that BlackBerry will be focusing more on phones with physical keyboards.

This made me wonder if there is still a huge market for physical keyboard devices? Or is he about to pigeon hole BlackBerry which ultimately will be another strategic blunder. I am quite aware that there is still many fans of the physical keyboard but are they enough and willing or eager to cross over to the BB10 platform?

Personally, I am all for the "touch phones" and I think BlackBerry's virtual keyboard is awesome and professionally my Z30 does everything I want and then some.

Just curious, what is it that the physical keyboard lovers like so much that they adamantly refuse to switch to "all touch phones", which incidentally is where the rest of the world is move to or gravitating to.
    Robert Halloran likes this.
    01-07-14 09:32 AM
    I have no problem with touchscreen phones. I adapted to them with no drama.

That said, this Q10 I'm using now is a D.R.E.A.M.
    bob_tn likes this.
    01-07-14 09:38 AM
    I hope he didn't mean it when he was saying BlackBerry will be more leaning towards physical keyboards due to his personal preference. I hope his new president of device will have a more current sense about what's cool about phones and the ability to influence him on making cool phones.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    Robert Halloran likes this.
    01-07-14 09:38 AM
    I prefer physical keyboard, is more confortable to text since you slide your fingers across de keyboard without lifting, and you can text without looking at the phone, or in the back of a bumpy cab no problem...

But I've tried Z30 keybaord and it I was able to write very very quick on it right away...
    01-07-14 09:41 AM
    I find hardware keyboards better for heavy text entry. It's the tactile feed back and precision it offers. That said, a virtual keyboard is good enough for most day to day uses, and offers flexibility that a hardware keyboard can't. I was one of those guys that said they could never use a virtual keyboard a few years ago. Yet here I am with a Z10 and Nexus 5 for personal use. Still have a 9900 for work.

If John Chen thought they need to refocus on their core enterprise strength rather than consumer coolness, perhaps he views the physical keyboard as part of that. There will always be a niche for it, just a matter of whether or not there is enough of one for them to reach their business goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-07-14 09:58 AM
    I hope he didn't mean it when he was saying BlackBerry will be more leaning towards physical keyboards due to his personal preference. I hope his new president of device will have a more current sense about what's cool about phones and the ability to influence him on making cool phones.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    If you watch the interview it seemed he was heavily leaning towards the physical keyboard. My concern is whether there is a sustainable market for the physical keyboard device.
    01-07-14 10:00 AM
    It might be that BlackBerry will focus on physical keyboard as they will continue to manufacture handsets for enterprise. However, Foxconn will produce BlackBerry's first low-end device which will have a virtual keyboard.

Also, Chen might have stated this as it makes their lawsuit against Typo even more relevant.

In my opinion of course

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:10 AM
    Business users prefer keyboards. A big part of BlackBerry's failure with the Q10 was not ensuring that every single key shortcut that was on OS7 devices was also on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    LuisCast likes this.
    01-07-14 11:46 AM
    I have had a Z10 and a Z30 and still miss the physical keyboard. I am longing for the Q30
    01-07-14 11:52 AM
    BlackBerry is not focusing on regular consumers. They are going to focus on business users who prefer physical keyboards.

This doesn't mean they will not be releasing any touchscreen phones. I suspect they will definitely still produce touchscreen phones. Just look at how awesome the Z30 is and how it gets pretty much nothing but awesome reviews from users here on CB. Unfortunately the Z10 came out in Feb instead of the Z30. If the Z30 had been the first phone released it would have been much more successful than the Z10. The problem with the Z30 is that the Z10 came out 8 months ahead of it and got us all locked into contracts so we cannot get the Z30.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    01-07-14 12:01 PM
    Guys no need to argue! Blackberry will make both!

In the enterprise market the keyboard is still veeery popular, and there is no escape from touch phones as they are ultimately the future!

Chen may be leaning towards the physical as he wants to dominate this niche, last remaining people who want a keyboard, and stop them from moving to android and ios hence a priority,
    But I am positive that no exec in his right mind will stop development of full touch phones! Nooo chaaance!

My guess, Q30 and Z30(updated), Q end of this year, Z beginning of next, with enough spacing between them.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 12:02 PM
    It might be that BlackBerry will focus on physical keyboard as they will continue to manufacture handsets for enterprise. However, Foxconn will produce BlackBerry's first low-end device which will have a virtual keyboard.

In my opinion of course

Posted via CB10
    "Also, Chen might have stated this as it makes their lawsuit against Typo even more relevant. "
    You know, that kinda makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_ likes this.
    01-07-14 12:29 PM
    In the most recent Bloomberg interview with John Chen, I observed that he was, kind of, bullish or exuberant about the BlackBerry phones with the physical keyboards. He alluded that BlackBerry will be focusing more on phones with physical keyboards.

This made me wonder if there is still a huge market for physical keyboard devices? Or is he about to pigeon hole BlackBerry which ultimately will be another strategic blunder. I am quite aware that there is still many fans of the physical keyboard but are they enough and willing or eager to cross over to the BB10 platform?

Personally, I am all for the "touch phones" and I think BlackBerry's virtual keyboard is awesome and professionally my Z30 does everything I want and then some.

Just curious, what is it that the physical keyboard lovers like so much that they adamantly refuse to switch to "all touch phones", which incidentally is where the rest of the world is move to or gravitating to.
    my last physical keyboard was my 7100, and I will never go back. For me, I want the screen size. I was even Ok with the original, and then the marginally improved storms.
    01-07-14 12:32 PM
    I hate physical keyboards.
    Storm
    Torch
    Zed10

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    01-08-14 11:59 PM
    I hate physical keyboards.
    Storm
    Torch
    Zed10

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    "Zed10" does not have a physical keyboard. Hope that's a typo.
    01-09-14 08:44 AM
    Physical keyboards are the reason I am with the brand. I like BB10 and because of haste to try the new platform I bought the Z10. Lets just say I bought the Q10 as soon as it became available. Not knocking the Z, but I feel that Blackberry's keyboard is what drew all of us to their particular smartphone. Its no coincidence this "TYPO" keyboard has surfaced for Iphone users.
    01-09-14 08:50 AM
    Physical keyboards are the reason I am with the brand. I like BB10 and because of haste to try the new platform I bought the Z10. Lets just say I bought the Q10 as soon as it became available. Not knocking the Z, but I feel that Blackberry's keyboard is what drew all of us to their particular smartphone. Its no coincidence this "TYPO" keyboard has surfaced for Iphone users.
    I have nothing against the physical keyboard but I only like the BlackBerry virtual keyboard. PS I have been using BB since 2000. I like BB phones for other reasons.
    01-09-14 10:05 AM
    I loved the physical keyboard, particularly on the 9900. Until the Z10, based on other virtual keyboards I had tried, I swore I would/could never use anything else. But BB10 converted me. Now I don't know if I'd want to go back to a physical kb, even if I could have the larger screen size with it. As long as BB keeps offering something in the class of the Z10, I'll be a happy camper.
    01-10-14 12:29 PM
    I have no problem with touchscreen phones. I adapted to them with no drama.

That said, this Q10 I'm using now is a D.R.E.A.M.
    Agreed! But, I have no problem with my Z10.

Posted from my Q10 via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-10-14 11:36 PM
    I'm sticking with the physical keyboard camp. The virtual keyboard on BlackBerry is good, but people have their own preferences. If BlackBerry somehow comes up with slightly larger screen size Q10, I'm all for it.
    01-11-14 12:14 AM
    For me, the defining feature on a BlackBerry is a physical keyboard.

I had the Z. But THIS Q is what a BlackBerry is, to me. I should have gone from 9900 to the Q. It's what suits me best on a BlackBerry.

For me, Chen is right.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-11-14 05:44 AM
    For me, the defining feature on a BlackBerry is a physical keyboard.

I had the Z. But THIS Q is what a BlackBerry is, to me. I should have gone from 9900 to the Q. It's what suits me best on a BlackBerry.

For me, Chen is right.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    It's great that you love your physical keyboard. Also it's understandable that there are quite a good number of QWERT lovers still out there. However in IMHO BlackBerry should still be making the physical keyboards and virtual keyboards for the so called "high end" market. It shouldn't be an either or.
    01-11-14 08:14 AM
    It's great that you love your physical keyboard. Also it's understandable that there are quite a good number of QWERT lovers still out there. However in IMHO BlackBerry should still be making the physical keyboards and virtual keyboards for the so called "high end" market. It shouldn't be an either or.
    Agreed. I don't believe he said it was an either or.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-11-14 08:55 AM
    IMO (and apparently Chen's as well) the physical keyboard is THE difference between BB and the rest of the handset market. BB can own it. Question is whether there is enough demand out there.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    01-13-14 01:36 PM
    Both keyboard have their place, both have advantages and disadvantage... 95% of the time I pick up the phone to write something down, message, email, notes, etc... Therefore if I buy a physical keyboard, 95% I will have the best experience....

I know you can type as fast if not a litle bit faster in virtual keyboard, but physical keyboard has key advantages for me:
    -is more confortable to use the phone one handed because half the phone isn't touch sensitive
    -easier to type one handed wich is great when I have one hand busy holding something down the street
    -Way easier to type when you're in a bumpy road in a back of a cab or bus or other difficult conditions
    -I can type without looking. So during a meeting or something, I can use the phone under the desk without looking at it. When I'm stoped at a stop light, I can text on the phone while I'm looking the the signal to turn green.

Cons:
    -the Huge plus of virtual keybaord is that they alow you to have twice the amount of screen when you're not texting, this alone could be enought to balance out all the Pros of the physical keyboard....
    -In virtual keyboard you have the flick of words...
    -keyboard is more costomizable
    -Cheaper to build, since you don't realy build it, is just projected on a screen.
    -reliable... There are some physical keyboards that some keys start to double activate wich could be anoying
    01-13-14 01:55 PM
68 123