BB will continue to sell phones, but they will be geared towards enterprise and business customers, not the "average Joe" smartphone user...

QNX and the Internet of Things are where the biggest growth opportunities lie.
    I really don't get this at all. Aren't we at a point where people are never going to consider carrying two phones? If you agree that we're there, then no matter how 'business' or 'enterprise' ready a phone is, it's going to have to have the 'consumer' features that people want. I'm 50 years old and I couldn't care less about social networking apps or gaming apps or anything like that. However, there are other apps I need and that's why, after about 9 months back with BBRY after a number of years away, I had to switch again.

This whole idea that BBRY will be able to sell phones to 'enterprise and business' customers solely on the strength of security and encryption is totally bogus, IMO. The train has unfortunately left the station in terms of devs writing apps for this platform. The market penetration is just way, way too low.

The only hope for an ongoing handset business is Android.

You're right in saying that they can leverage their best assets into a good business but it's not going to be BBOS handsets.
    Last edited by mset; 08-14-15 at 12:33 AM.
    chenageddon and DINGSTER1 like this.
    08-14-15 12:20 AM
    I really don't get this at all. Aren't we at a point where people are never going to consider carrying two phones? If you agree that we're there, then no matter how 'business' or 'enterprise' ready a phone is, it's going to have to have the 'consumer' features that people want. I'm 50 years old and I couldn't care less about social networking apps or gaming apps or anything like that. However, there are other apps I need and that's why, after about 9 months back with BBRY after a number of years away, I had to switch again.

This whole idea that BBRY will be able to sell phones to 'enterprise and business' customers solely on the strength of security and encryption is totally bogus, IMO. The train has unfortunately left the station in terms of devs writing apps for this platform. The market penetration is just way, way too low.

The only hope for an ongoing handset business is Android.

You're right in saying that they can leverage their best assets into a good business but it's not going to be BBOS handsets.
    No, I think some people don't want anything on their personal device that would allow "work" to intrude.

Sadly, just adding a work email account can give your company a LOT of control over your personal device.... they can track you, delete that account remotely, enforce policies, and they can even do a total wipe of your phone. So as long as adding a simple email account can give them that much control... I think people that are aware of this, are going to prefer carrying two phones.

But I do agree about apps and business... one problem that BlackPhone had was the lack of business related apps. Which is why they are somehow getting full Google Play (kinda promising for BlackBerry in a way).
    mode_m likes this.
    08-14-15 08:55 AM
    No, I think some people don't want anything on their personal device that would allow "work" to intrude.
    Maybe for a few, but I think that for the majority of the target users, there's basically no time at which they wouldn't want to have access to their work phone. I know I can't be without it. I'm a freelancer, but I think most executives these days need to know what's up at work basically 24/7. Maybe not a good thing, but it's the reality.

That's disturbing about the email. Believe me, I would pay a premium for a phone that let me control my digital life better. I hate what I give up to both AAPL and/or GOOG.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-14-15 12:32 PM
    So what are the pro's and con's of having a strategy where your personal BYOD phone has a secure area or set of apps? That clearly seems to be the strategy that John Chen is pursuing. Of course, it isn't as secure as end-to-end hardware security but is it secure enough for most customers?
    08-14-15 12:59 PM
    So what are the pro's and con's of having a strategy where your personal BYOD phone has a secure area or set of apps? That clearly seems to be the strategy that John Chen is pursuing. Of course, it isn't as secure as end-to-end hardware security but is it secure enough for most customers?
    Based on sales... I'd have to say that most customers have found some other solution that works for them. I don't know if it is a better solution, don't know if it is one they are happy with or might not like to move away from. Just that so far it seems that the BB10/BES solution... isn't the solution that is being chosen very often. So either Chen finds out what they really want and provides that... or he finds another line of work for the company.

Afraid that BlackBerry's finical issues and the uncertainty of it's future and the future of both BB10 and BES, could be just as much of a driving force in the decision making processes as the "security" abilities.
    08-17-15 08:59 AM
    If so, then there really is very little downside to adopting Android across the board. All of the investments that BlackBerry has made are sunk costs - you don't get those back no matter what. If they continue with BB10 then the deal might be that if you need that level of end-to-end security then don't expect anything else that a smartphone can offer. Otherwise, it's Android.
    08-21-15 01:53 PM
    The future is 'how high do you want us to jump king google!'

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    08-21-15 05:22 PM
    My prediction that Blackberry's future will change it name to: Illuminati that way it will appease all the conspirators out there.
    the OS will be come open-source and changed to: Free-Mason. 11
    08-24-15 02:47 AM
    My prediction that Blackberry's future will change it name to: Illuminati that way it will appease all the conspirators out there.
    the OS will be come open-source and changed to: Free-Mason. 11
    Someone posted a new image of the Slider.... it's a Silver Edition.

A company called AluFoil was rumored to be involved in it's metal casing.
    08-24-15 11:35 AM
    .... has just made a turn with the Good acquisition! :-D

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    09-07-15 07:29 PM
    .... has just made a turn with the Good acquisition! :-D

•   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   •
    Maybe..... And maybe not....

I think Good's technology will help to make BES12 better.
    I think Good's customer base will bring in much needed revenues...

But from most of what I've been hearing this weekend about Good... they were in pretty bad shape. The IPO was pretty much off the table at this point, and they were burning cash but were not finding new investors. For most the sale of the company or the price wasn't the surprise, it was that BlackBerry was the buyer.

Good had already worked hard to cut a lot of their expenses in order to try again for an IPO, but it wasn't enough. But we know Chen is a master of cutting cost, and that there should be a fair amount of duplication between the two companies. But cutting 1/3 of their expenses, while still being able to provide services and sponsor growth? And that is just to break even.

I think really the best thing this does.... it' makes BlackBerry look like at little better target for a buyout.

I think what BlackBerry needed to buy was more companies that could expand their capabilities. The standalone EMM's like BES, Good and MobileIron are dying why companies like VMware, Citrix and IBM that go way beyond just EMM are doing very well.
    09-08-15 09:28 AM
    I think what BlackBerry needed to buy was more companies that could expand their capabilities. The standalone EMM's like BES, Good and MobileIron are dying why companies like VMware, Citrix and IBM that go way beyond just EMM are doing very well.
    I hope that, even before BES and GOOD are melted into one piece, GOOD will start accommodating BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-15-15 03:44 AM
    I hope that, even before BES and GOOD are melted into one piece, GOOD will start accommodating BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    If BB10 continues as a mobile device OS.... I imagine that will be on their list of things to do.

If BB10 has been mothballed..... I imagine there would be no point wasting resources.
    09-15-15 07:12 AM
    I think BlackBerry will remain a business tool for professionals while the iPhone and Android based phones are social status or toys. Now the long updates between models will allow Apple or Android phones the ability to pick up consumers who maybe wanting something new.

I think BlackBerry isn't for everyone like Apple isn't for me.
    09-21-15 09:28 PM
    I think BlackBerry will remain a business tool for professionals.
    So every quarter the number of professionals in the world shrinks... this morning I was editing something in word on my android phone - what version of word (the defacto standard) do BB10 run natively?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-22-15 05:07 AM
115 ... 345