The key is the article says that BlackBerry and Google have "announced", as in they released some kind of press release to the media. Which you can usually find on the BlackBerry site and most of the tech sites would pick up also.
    Yeah but I haven't seen anything else on it is the point. Maybe Chen is holding out till the conference call to offset the bad news from the last quarter coming. Maybe more on the Samsung partnership too. Or maybe this Tech Crunch article is just plain wrong. If they could get full Google support for apps, and deal with Samsung for high end all touch hardware, then that would be huge!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 09:37 AM
    Does blackberry pay google for apps access?
    Currently they do not... as officially it isn't possible to access Google Play using a BlackBerry device. Which is why this article is such a big deal, if it were true it would CHANGE everything.
    03-23-15 10:33 AM
    Currently they do not... as officially it isn't possible to access Google Play using a BlackBerry device. Which is why this article is such a big deal, if it were true it would CHANGE everything.
    Highly unlikely Google would step outside the OHA rules and allow BlackBerry 10 to have Google Services access. If anything, it's more than likely for some Google Apps.

That would still be a big win as Windows Phone doesn't even have that with greater market share.
    mikeo007 and JosevuN3 like this.
    03-23-15 11:23 AM
    Yeah but I haven't seen anything else on it is the point. Maybe Chen is holding out till the conference call to offset the bad news from the last quarter coming. Maybe more on the Samsung partnership too. Or maybe this Tech Crunch article is just plain wrong.
    I'm getting the vibe that just plain wrong is the smart bet. The usual BlackBerry hounds would be all over this one.
    03-23-15 11:24 AM
    The FUD squad are here in full force , each making multiple postings, all trying hard to dispel this story. Makes me think there must be a ring of truth in it.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-23-15 11:49 AM
    The FUD squad are here in full force , each making multiple postings, all trying hard to dispel this story. Makes me think there must be a ring of truth in it.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to see you in this thread and yes where did they come from

#BBFactCheck
    03-23-15 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Just like the last time Google Play store came to BB10!!
    techvisor likes this.
    03-23-15 12:21 PM
    This will be awesome if it is true!

Posted via CB10
    My reading is to have a partnership for Enterprise apps and phones. May not help consumers. I think it will help with BES 12 sales.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:30 PM
    Forgot about the quiet period. We'll just have to wait and see. No one get your hopes up though because we have been here and done this before and it always ended up in disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:36 PM
    We have recently heard of partnerships between BlackBerry and Google, and BlackBerry and Samsung. None of us know the details of the partnerships. What we do know is that both Google and Samsung would both like to get a bigger footprint in enterprise. We also know that the Android Operating system is no ware near secure enough to get them that larger footprint. BlackBerry could use a larger app ecosystem, Quid pro quo.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:12 PM
    We have recently heard of partnerships between BlackBerry and Google, and BlackBerry and Samsung. None of us know the details of the partnerships. What we do know is that both Google and Samsung would both like to get a bigger footprint in enterprise. We also know that the Android Operating system is no ware near secure enough to get them that larger footprint. BlackBerry could use a larger app ecosystem Quid pro quo.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget the BlackBerry and Amazon partnership from last year.....
    03-23-15 01:40 PM
    There has been quite of information on the Google partnership and nothing would point to more apps for consumers. It appears that the best case scenario being access to "Work Google Play" for BlackBerry Enterprise phones under BES12....maybe.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:42 PM
    There has been quite of information on the Google partnership and nothing would point to more apps for consumers. It appears that the best case scenario being access to "Work Google Play" for BlackBerry Enterprise phones under BES12....maybe.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that would be my guess a way to control app access thru BES12. Google I/O is coming down the pike in May and I expect them to introduce an enterprise app store that is curated from the rest of Play where the EMM/MDM can control permissions globally or individually in the app or where the EMM/MDM can control the sharing aspect of apps.
    03-23-15 02:05 PM
    Yes that would be my guess a way to control app access thru BES12. Google I/O is coming down the pike in May and I expect them to introduce an enterprise app store that is curated from the rest of Play where the EMM/MDM can control permissions globally or individually in the app or where the EMM/MDM can control the sharing aspect of apps.
    The key word is Guess. I guess you're guess is as good as mine.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 02:13 PM
    The key word is Guess. I guess you're guess is as good as mine.

Posted via CB10
    But there have been no indications that Google is interested in Blackberry consumers and plenty of indications that Google is interested in BB enterprise customer base. Given that BB is a minor player at the present for Android EMM/MDM is serves the chances of furthering the partnership would be on the enterprise level which would be mutually beneficial.

You can of course reply on why BB would have leverage for Google to include Play for BB10 and I promise I won't accuse anyone of FUD.
    03-23-15 02:49 PM
    Maybe I am missing something....isn't Apple a computer company that just started making phones around 2007 or so, Windows is, well, Windows and they purchased Nokia and Google well, they are a search engine and they purchased Motorola...... BlackBerry was phone company and pretty much still is. The fact that they have made it this far and still going (making new phones) is a good thing....no?
    Andy_bb_king and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-23-15 03:30 PM
    Maybe I am missing something....isn't Apple a computer company that just started making phones around 2007 or so, Windows is, well, Windows and they purchased Nokia and Google well, they are a search engine and they purchased Motorola...... BlackBerry was phone company and pretty much still is. The fact that they have made it this far and still going (making new phones) is a good thing....no?
    Yes of course, its a good thing that Blackberry will be continuing to make phones for the foreseeable future and in no danger of bankruptcy. But is that future more like the Leap where it will be available to selected carriers for enterprise customers or is the path forward to resurrect the past where BB was a major player in the consumer phone space.

If its the former, we could see the availability of phones for Crackberrians world-wide more like the US where finding the latest models with carrier support like finding hen's teeth. There is a genuine concern that if phones are 10% of BB then CB as we know it will cease to exist and it will be more like the WebOS forums than the vibrant community it is now.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-23-15 03:52 PM
    Just off their largest ever annual percentage decline in user base.

A good thing?

I wouldn't call it that... but rather a large step further toward hardware oblivion.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-23-15 04:58 PM
    Are you framing Blackberry's inability to diversify as an achievement? What??
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    03-23-15 05:11 PM
    sure, it would. But I don't think this exchange is balance. They only bring blackberry (exclusive) features (which many option out there do the same thing) for ton of apps. If it were true means something wrong with google, because I don't see they lost market share because they doesn't have blackberry features.
    03-23-15 05:53 PM
    Zero information that I could find that would suggest that consumer BlackBerry phones not on BES 12 would be able to access Google Play . Some suggestion that Enterprise BlackBerry phones might be able to access Work Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:17 PM
    Far from it. It has survived despite of it all. It is still here and relevant. We are talking about a company that has taken a beaten and is still going. I have a BlackBerry Passport and will get a BlackBerry Passport 2. I don't believe the company is still around by luck. It was suppose to be 'dead'. My point is to compare like to like. Is it fair to compare a phone/mobile device company to a company that started out making computers and other things before making phones....just saying.
    Last edited by BKbehave; 03-23-15 at 07:20 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-23-15 06:48 PM
    Just to correct you ... it's Microsoft being the company, Windows is the product.
    And Microsoft made the OS for PDA's using WinCE which evolved into Windows Smartphone Edition or Pocket PC PE (Phone Edition; PPC-PE for short) at the dawn of the smartphone age - the first coming if you're an iOS diehard. While BlackBerry's where just email and a horrible intranet link opener - basically for documents prior to BBOS4, PPC-PC was killing it ... even Palm was hurting (Palm bought by 3COM; I think? then Palm bought themselves out, then original founders created HandSpring, then and such so forth was a real mess). Back then Palm had a VERY promising OS called 5.0 or Cobalt which never debuted. it was overhauled and thus the stagnation began.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-23-15 08:07 PM
    Don't forget the BlackBerry and Amazon partnership from last year.....
    now that was a joke...

Chen basically said F you to the devs actually developing for BB10 as well. Look at all the apps that have been pulled since.

Heins didn't know how to run a company but at least he knew the market and tried to catch up with what he had.
    dolco, JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-23-15 08:52 PM
    BlackBerry's future is right on track.

Sexy White Z30
    03-23-15 11:27 PM
115 12345