I recall quite a few devices that had copycat QWERTY keyboards that BBRY never sued. I wonder why this is where they want to sue. There are definitely similarities but all this is is a bluetooth keyboard add-on and there are several (crappy) iPhone bluetooth QWERTY keyboards out there. I also can't see this having a massive market -- especially at $99 a piece and the inability to use the iPhone 5S's fingerprint reader.
    01-04-14 01:01 PM
    The nerve of the guy!

Oh, I like BlackBerry better, but I think I should become one of those techo-zombie lemmings that follows everyone else to the Apple Store. So I think I'll just make my own blackberry keyboard, then illegally make copies of it and sell it to anyone else who wants one.
    01-04-14 02:18 PM
    If both parties are smart they should cut a deal that pays Blackberry royalties for each keyboard sold and Typo can then release keyboards for the Z10 and Z30 make it a win-win situation.
    That would be good, keep the "ambulance chasers" from dragging it out for billable hours. You know they would!
    01-04-14 02:28 PM
    I was for them suing Kik. I couldn't believe someone who had actually worked on BBM went and ripped it off like that. So I was happy when I heard they sued over that. Now, we've seen how well that lawsuit worked out for them. I'm sure it helped Kik more than it hurt.
    This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the add on and then the lawsuit. I thought they'd butcher Kik on a couple of levels but it didn't work that way.
    01-04-14 03:22 PM
    I for one am intrigued by the notion that ryan may be filling an u tapped need: keyboard lovers left behind when the industry moved to all touch!! Having been dissolutioned by BB10, but wanting a kb, and geeting more and more frustrated with my PB going downhill, I purchased a galaxy note 8 tablet, and am so impressed, I now have a samsung galaxy s relay, the last slider upgradable to jelly bean, and would be happy to see future kb options
    Yes, I ordered a Moto X to replace my Q10 and a new case for my iPhone 5 to make it easier to get out and attach the Typo keyboard to. I certainly hope they work and get out soon. I'm looking forward to a keyboard like that on my iPhone.
    01-04-14 04:16 PM
    I like Ryan. I also think the keyboard looks awfully like BlackBerry keyboard. BlackBerry historically is not a company that go after and sue other companies. Will see how this pan out in the end...

? CB10 ?
    milo53 likes this.
    01-04-14 04:28 PM
    They're prepared to defend it. Interesting to see how things will play out

http://blackberryempire.com/ryan-sea...-product/?wt=3

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 05:11 PM
    It's such a blatant and unrepentant copy that it must be pursued in court. Either that or we all get used to seeing people driving Chinese knock off M3's on our streets.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and moyah8 like this.
    01-05-14 02:55 AM
    1. Sculpted keys - check
    2. Overall shape of the keyboard - check
    3. Frets between rows of the keyboard - check

Yet, the Typo statement calls it "innovative". The sad thing is that, inspite of the blatant design plagiarism, US patent law is so screwed up that I won't be surprised if Seacrest and Typo find a way to wiggle out of this.

.pinkberry likes this.
    01-05-14 03:30 AM
    They're prepared to defend it. Interesting to see how things will play out

Ryan Seacrest's Typo Product says they'll defend case filed against BlackBerry on keyboard product - BlackBerry Empire

Posted via CB10
    They will defend as they are lawyers and what do lawyers want? MONEY! They KNOW that its a blatant copy and that they WILL lose, but regardless there bill will be met by the dude that hired them!

If Ryan was smart with his money, he would loose the lawyers, settle out of court and leave BlackBerry products / patents alone. BUT, his blatant investment shows his lack of knowledge of using his money... so, I see him paying the lawyers and loosing and then still have to apologise! pathetic.
    01-05-14 08:16 AM
    They will defend as they are lawyers and what do lawyers want? MONEY! They KNOW that its a blatant copy and that they WILL lose, but regardless there bill will be met by the dude that hired them!

If Ryan was smart with his money, he would loose the lawyers, settle out of court and leave BlackBerry products / patents alone. BUT, his blatant investment shows his lack of knowledge of using his money... so, I see him paying the lawyers and loosing and then still have to apologise! pathetic.

This is based on your search of the patent literature and BB's patent portfolio as well as prior art on keyboards?
    milo53 and Saiga like this.
    01-05-14 10:32 AM
    What a PR campaign by Typo. Obviously, this company is looking to PR to kick start its business model. The focus on Ryan Seachrest as an investor makes it a story that the entertainment media will cover, reaching it's target demographic of the casual iPhone user. Now, a lawsuit from Blackberry puts it in both the technology and business press to reach the other audience they want to reach for potential customers.

This is hardly much of a threat to the business model of Typo. At $99 they are also going for high-margin as well as high-profile. It's almost an Apple model where you try to achieve the holy grail of both high price and widespread adoption among consumers by making your brand iconic. I don't think there is anyone who thinks that Blackberry, with it's new non-smartphone focus is really going to try to keep Typo out of the market. It's also good to remind the tech media and investors that Blackberry has valuable patents.

There's probably a licensing agreement somewhere in the future but there's no reason why it has to be anytime soon. If you know about intellectual property law then you know that there is such a thing as willful infringement where you continue to infringe despite being notified that you are doing so. That ups the possible award to 3X actual damages. Blackberry is just making sure that they get their claim in before a single Typo is sold and hopes that they will sell millions.
    Last edited by kellyTKD; 01-05-14 at 11:04 AM.
    01-05-14 10:53 AM
    Has anybody bothered to look up BlackBerry's keyboard patents?
    01-05-14 11:29 AM
    What a PR campaign by Typo. Obviously, this company is looking to PR to kick start its business model. The focus on Ryan Seachrest as an investor makes it a story that the entertainment media will cover, reaching it's target demographic of the casual iPhone user. Now, a lawsuit from Blackberry puts it in both the technology and business press to reach the other audience they want to reach for potential customers.

This is hardly much of a threat to the business model of Typo. At $99 they are also going for high-margin as well as high-profile. It's almost an Apple model where you try to achieve the holy grail of both high price and widespread adoption among consumers by making your brand iconic. I don't think there is anyone who thinks that Blackberry, with it's new non-smartphone focus is really going to try to keep Typo out of the market. It's also good to remind the tech media and investors that Blackberry has valuable patents.

There's probably a licensing agreement somewhere in the future but there's no reason why it has to be anytime soon. If you know about intellectual property law then you know that there is such a thing as willful infringement where you continue to infringe despite being notified that you are doing so. That ups the possible award to 3X actual damages. Blackberry is just making sure that they get their claim in before a single Typo is sold and hopes that they will sell millions.
    The paper trail that this creates in terms of willful infringement is an excellent point. It also gives them a lot more leverage in the negotiations.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 12:10 PM
    This is based on your search of the patent literature and BB's patent portfolio as well as prior art on keyboards?
    This is based on my opinion. This is not a law forum nor is it a court of law.
    01-05-14 02:37 PM
    This is based on my opinion. This is not a law forum nor is it a court of law.
    No, it certainly is not a court nor even a law forum. However, the things I mentioned (I'm not a lawyer either by the way but I do hold patents and have others in various stages of proceessing) are more or less the things that matter as to the outcome of a case. So you seem to be saying that in the absence of any of the relevant, necessary information about the situation, you have formed an opinion. I find that curious, coin flip?
    01-05-14 07:26 PM
    No, it certainly is not a court nor even a law forum. However, the things I mentioned (I'm not a lawyer either by the way but I do hold patents and have others in various stages of proceessing) are more or less the things that matter as to the outcome of a case. So you seem to be saying that in the absence of any of the relevant, necessary information about the situation, you have formed an opinion. I find that curious, coin flip?
    Coin spent.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-06-14 01:45 AM
    People keep talking about BlackBerry having patents. When we've yet to see ANYTHING FROM TYPO in regards to patents.

I mean these are a matter of public record aren't they???

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:54 AM
    Pulled this from the typo website and it's rather telling based on what its not saying.

Both the hardware and software for the Typo Keyboard? were designed and engineered in California & Utah. This product is manufactured and assembled in China by one of the oldest and most respected keyboard manufacturers in the world, who to date has delivered more than half a billion keyboards.

One of the oldest and most respected keyboard manufacturers in the world??? Half a BILLION KEYBOARDS???
    Surely they're not talking about the the world renound motorola sidekick???
    Even critics will concede who makes the best keyboard on the market.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 08:10 AM
    Pulled this from the typo website and it's rather telling based on what its not saying.

Both the hardware and software for the Typo Keyboard? were designed and engineered in California & Utah. This product is manufactured and assembled in China by one of the oldest and most respected keyboard manufacturers in the world, who to date has delivered more than half a billion keyboards.

One of the oldest and most respected keyboard manufacturers in the world??? Half a BILLION KEYBOARDS???
    Surely they're not talking about the the world renound motorola sidekick???
    Even critics will concede who makes the best keyboard on the market.

Posted via CB10
    It's not saying that anything is patented.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 02:06 PM
    01-06-14 05:10 PM
    It's not saying that anything is patented.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly not even a mention on their site that it's patent pending.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:25 PM
    Can I get a snap on keyboard for my z10?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:56 PM
    Can I get a snap on keyboard for my z10?

Posted via CB10
    Id buy that in a heartbeat providing it didn't cost a fortune.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    01-06-14 07:01 PM
    Yay, I finally got my Belkin keyboard to successfully pair with my Z10. Not overly portable but darn it is cool.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    01-06-14 07:08 PM
132 ... 3456