Attachment 235763

Since no product has actually shipped, BlackBerry cannot sue for financial damages.

They should have waited until the actual (and final design) of the keyboard actually shipped.
    Maybe nothing has shipped but when you are accepting preorders it is no different.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    01-03-14 09:57 PM
    What financial damages exist from taking orders?
    01-03-14 10:41 PM
    What financial damages exist from taking orders?
    They are marketing a product that is based on a BlackBerry keyboard design. Why should BlackBerry wait until money starts to flow from this before making a move and taking action? Based on the statement from earlier today, it seems they have no issue licensing the design to them just like they have in the past to other OEM's.
    01-03-14 10:49 PM
    It's slightly curved, the keys themselves are a different shape, the numbers are in a different location, and aside from being qwerty, I don't see any striking resemblance. With the Typo keyboard, it's a blatant copy.... the angled keys, the frets, the straight lines..... just by looking at it, one would have assumed BlackBerry themselves made it. It looks just like the Q10 keyboard and was probably designed to do so.
    I take it you aren't a lawyer?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 11:49 PM
    I take it you aren't a lawyer?

Posted via CB10
    No I'm not. Are you?
    01-03-14 11:59 PM
    I was for them suing Kik. I couldn't believe someone who had actually worked on BBM went and ripped it off like that. So I was happy when I heard they sued over that. Now, we've seen how well that lawsuit worked out for them. I'm sure it helped Kik more than it hurt.
    PS. Discuss the post not the poster.
    ...........no comment
    01-04-14 12:00 AM
    No I'm not. Are you?
    Heaven forbid, no.
    01-04-14 12:45 AM
    QWERTY keyboard is standard fair. But once a company copies the sculpted keys and straight metal fret design then it's blatant copying.
    Are these actually what BBRY patented against? What patent they are talking about?
    It seems this is more about BBRY's publicity stunt.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-04-14 07:46 AM
    Please BlackBerry, make one for my z10! Would love it.
    01-04-14 07:47 AM
    And if Seacrest & Co, did not do a prior patent search, that is also a surprise.
    01-04-14 07:48 AM
    The Keyboard is a complete rip off, looks exactly the same. There is not even a minor change. The sad thing is everyone assumes that BlackBerry is dead and have no fear. Hopefully BlackBerry wins this one.
    01-04-14 07:48 AM
    If BB is smart they could settle for royalties per unit sold.

Let's also not forget BlackBerry wouldn't really exist right now if it wasn't for other people's patents which they stole and paid for later, millions of dollars they paid when they got sued.

It goes around in circles.

Kodak was pretty much the same too.
    01-04-14 07:53 AM
    If BB is smart they could settle for royalties per unit sold.

Let's also not forget BlackBerry wouldn't really exist right now if it wasn't for other people's patents which they stole and paid for later, millions of dollars they paid when they got sued.

It goes around in circles.

Kodak was pretty much the same too.
    BlackBerry lost patent lawsuits to trolls that patented concepts and didn't produce anything.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 09:16 AM
    The Keyboard is a complete rip off, looks exactly the same. There is not even a minor change. The sad thing is everyone assumes that BlackBerry is dead and have no fear. Hopefully BlackBerry wins this one.
    No, not exactly the same. The alt option for the P key is different. Somehow, I don't think it qualifies as a significant modification, though.

BlackBerry can't lose with this lawsuit. Images of the Q10 will be posted in all the business publications without any cost to BlackBerry, and the legal merits of patent infringement on such a visible issue can be argued successfully before a technically ignorant judge.

Lawsuits like the Kik one get dismissed because judges don't understand technology. Keyboard appearance/design is a no-brainer.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 09:25 AM
    Uh, sure. What does this have to do with anything? You could apply these basic points to BB selling earrings or hub caps. The question is, why make a device that literally renders your device obsolete?

If you connect the dots, I believe that
    What n8tee#ac was implying is that they should get out of the cell phone market. It's a given that a change of route is required, they have tried almost everything but are always cut lat in the game. Maybe, just maybe, it worth looking at other options for this company. A lot of companies have done just that : change your product and your identity all together if it's what it takes to survive. I have no doubt that BlackBerry will survive years from now, I simply don't think the company will look like it does right now in 3-4 years.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 09:47 AM
    Does someone actually have a patent that proves all the similarities with BlackBerry 's qwerty keyboard ?
    If they didn't covered there back goos enough with patents, that is too bad but they ain't going anywhere with that lawsuit.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 09:49 AM
    Funny thing is that the Typo would have probably sell better to iphone users had it a mini version of a MacBook Pro keyboard. Little square chicklets.

It does however demonstrate that there might be a market for a BlackBerry slider or long version Q10 ( with a 4 inch screen) .
    01-04-14 10:09 AM
    If both parties are smart they should cut a deal that pays Blackberry royalties for each keyboard sold and Typo can then release keyboards for the Z10 and Z30 make it a win-win situation.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-04-14 10:41 AM
    My guess is this has already advanced to the point where BlackBerry's lawyers have told Typo how much they would need to step down from the lawsuit and Typo and their lawyers have looked at the number and said "no thank you we'll go to trial".

Can just be a part of the negotiation phase, or Typo and their lawyers believe the result based on what they have sold so far, does not justify the number BlackBerry is asking for right now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. These are usually big games of "chicken".
    milo53 likes this.
    01-04-14 11:07 AM
    The case is pretty similar looking to the Q10 but the odd thing is, a couple colleagues and I had drinks last night & they are more inclined to get the attachment now that Typo Products is splashed all over the news. I ordered one, let's see how well it works when it arrives.

Nothing quite like riding the coattails of a bigger company going into a consumer electronic show, what terrible timing on BBRY's part... Free press to a nobody.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-04-14 11:37 AM
    My guess is this has already advanced to the point where BlackBerry's lawyers have told Typo how much they would need to step down from the lawsuit and Typo and their lawyers have looked at the number and said "no thank you we'll go to trial".

Can just be a part of the negotiation phase, or Typo and their lawyers believe the result based on what they have sold so far, does not justify the number BlackBerry is asking for right now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. These are usually big games of "chicken".
    It's not about how much has been sold it's how much in royalties Typo has to pay for each device they sell that has to be determined.

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    01-04-14 11:39 AM
    This is as ridiculous as Apple suing Samsung for a rectangular phone. The patent stuff is getting absurd. Ben Franklin invented the damn qwerty, does BB pay his heirs royalties when they copied it from his original design ? I guess it got BB back in the news for a day, but it just seems silly.
    01-04-14 11:56 AM
    Typo Products needs to burn.
    01-04-14 11:57 AM
    It's not about how much has been sold it's how much in royalties Typo has to pay for each device they sell that has to be determined.

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    Royalties would apply only if the court finds that a patent held by BB was violated, this lawsuit appears to be a trade-dress issue to which I would think a cease and desist would be the course of action pursued by BB if they win it. Typo could modify the look/feel of the keyboard to satisfy the outcome of the case (as well as pay any damages), BB would be crazy to allow another company to resume manufacturing a copy of their keyboard. IMO
    01-04-14 11:58 AM
    I for one am intrigued by the notion that ryan may be filling an u tapped need: keyboard lovers left behind when the industry moved to all touch!! Having been dissolutioned by BB10, but wanting a kb, and geeting more and more frustrated with my PB going downhill, I purchased a galaxy note 8 tablet, and am so impressed, I now have a samsung galaxy s relay, the last slider upgradable to jelly bean, and would be happy to see future kb options
    01-04-14 12:09 PM
132 ... 23456