Good to see they are paying attention. I am not sure they will get anywhere with it (there are some key differences in the keyboard, but the design is very similar). Worth a shot to protect themselves. What they need to do is release their OWN keyboard for the iPhone haha
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. It would be a tough battle, and I doubt it's one that they'd expend considerable resources on. It's more than likely just a token lawsuit, designed to make a statement.
    01-03-14 04:08 PM
    How do you know it will drag on with multiple appeals?
    I can't see each side backing down, especially Chen. This keyboard firm may have also consulted a patent lawyer on the type of keyboard they can get away with before they started production so they will feel they have a good case. Again I'm just assuming, not saying it will happen.
    01-03-14 04:22 PM
    Although Blackberry might regret this if Microsoft sues them for copyright infringement with the Q10 over the Nokia E61.
    01-03-14 04:23 PM
    I can't see each side backing down, especially Chen. This keyboard firm may have also consulted a patent lawyer on the type of keyboard they can get away with before they started production so they will feel they have a good case. Again I'm just assuming, not saying it will happen.
    They may have also taken a gamble that BlackBerry wouldn't spend the resources on a patent suit. The thing is, there have been quite a few keyboards offered for iPhones but none have been so close to the BlackBerry one in look and style.
    01-03-14 04:39 PM
    Although Blackberry might regret this if Microsoft sues them for copyright infringement with the Q10 over the Nokia E61.
    You're kidding right?
    01-03-14 04:40 PM
    They may have also taken a gamble that BlackBerry wouldn't spend the resources on a patent suit. The thing is, there have been quite a few keyboards offered for iPhones but none have been so close to the BlackBerry one in look and style.
    Good point
    01-03-14 04:46 PM
    Seacrest taking advantage of BlackBerry keyboard

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 04:48 PM
    I heard the court has already selected a jury. It will be Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson.
    01-03-14 04:48 PM
    What is sad is that Seacrest could have turned a profit on a piece of plastic yet the "iconic" keyboard can't when attacked to a blackberry device.
    01-03-14 04:55 PM
    You're kidding right?
    Nope, earlier BB keyboards were more curved as I recall. The Q10 seems closer to the E61 to me than to earlier BBs although the E61 has a bit of curve too. Or perhaps more precisely put it seems possible to me that it is close enough for the army of lawyers sitting around in Redmond to be interested in. The flip side of course is why didn't BB sue Nokia over the E61?
    01-03-14 05:01 PM
    Really was there ever any doubt this would happen Rotfl!

Attachment 235715

Posted via CB10
    thanks for the picture. It is quite telling. Personally, I don't know who would buy this contraption as the ergonomic design looks poor.
    01-03-14 05:16 PM
    Nope, earlier BB keyboards were more curved as I recall. The Q10 seems closer to the E61 to me than to earlier BBs although the E61 has a bit of curve too. Or perhaps more precisely put it seems possible to me that it is close enough for the army of lawyers sitting around in Redmond to be interested in. The flip side of course is why didn't BB sue Nokia over the E61?
    It's slightly curved, the keys themselves are a different shape, the numbers are in a different location, and aside from being qwerty, I don't see any striking resemblance. With the Typo keyboard, it's a blatant copy.... the angled keys, the frets, the straight lines..... just by looking at it, one would have assumed BlackBerry themselves made it. It looks just like the Q10 keyboard and was probably designed to do so.
    01-03-14 05:19 PM
    This is going to get a LOT of play in the media, I'm quite sure...
    The only reason they are suing is for the press, This company had little chance of making an impact....
    sentimentGX4 and milo53 like this.
    01-03-14 05:23 PM
    The only reason they are suing is for the press, This company had little chance of making an impact....
    Maybe so, maybe they can, but once you let one slide, you set a precedent that can come back to bite you should another company decide to infringe later on.
    ibpluto and techvisor like this.
    01-03-14 05:33 PM
    BlackBerry has an obligation to protect its proprietary designs and technology ......if not, what's the point of spending millions on patents?
    Ding! Correct. Give that poster a ceegar!
    01-03-14 06:22 PM
    BlackBerry has an obligation to protect its proprietary designs and technology ......if not, what's the point of spending millions on patents?
    A keyboard is NOT proprietary, the look and cosmetics are. If that were the case, IBM or NEC would be suing the **** out of absolutely every computer manufacture.
    01-03-14 06:50 PM
    What I find telling, is how the advertising video for a mere smartphone case, is better than any that Blackberry have created for their own smartphones. No wonder they want a piece of the action.

techvisor likes this.
    01-03-14 07:25 PM
    They just got tens of millions of dollars worth of publicity because the suit was filed. It was on all of the tech blogs and on CNN just now. The timing of a press release on a slow news Friday can't be coincidence. I'm sure Blackberry is just looking for a licensing deal. Chen just came on board so I doubt he's too sentimental about the keyboard if there's a product out there that will generate licensing fees, especially, if the cash from a lawsuit wouldn't come in time to help the company rather than just shareholders or some acquiring company five years down the road.
    aniym likes this.
    01-03-14 07:36 PM
    QWERTY keyboard is standard fair. But once a company copies the sculpted keys and straight metal fret design then it's blatant copying. So yes, I suspected this was coming to Seacrest et al.

It will be interesting if Typo settles out of court. They should and let both BBRY and Typo reap the financial rewards. Fanbois should order now as the price is going up to $129 to cover BBRY's patent royalty.

Really was there ever any doubt this would happen Rotfl!

Attachment 235715

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:45 PM
    I was for them suing Kik. I couldn't believe someone who had actually worked on BBM went and ripped it off like that. So I was happy when I heard they sued over that. Now, we've seen how well that lawsuit worked out for them. I'm sure it helped Kik more than it hurt.

PS. Discuss the post not the poster.
    Can you or anyone else post the outcome of the kik lawsuit? If not how do you know it helped kik?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:47 PM
    Can you or anyone else post the outcome of the kik lawsuit? If not how do you know it helped kik?

Posted via CB10
    Tons of tech blogs covered the lawsuit and Kik grew rapidly to the point that it has more users than the app it copied now. Kik didn't disappear like BlackBerry would have liked for them to. No one knows the details for certain, but it sure doesn't seem to have hurt Kik all that much.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-03-14 09:06 PM
    Attachment 235763
    �This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry�s iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design,� Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry�s general counsel and chief legal officer, said in a statement.
    Since no product has actually shipped, BlackBerry cannot sue for financial damages.

They should have waited until the actual (and final design) of the keyboard actually shipped.
    01-03-14 09:24 PM
    The Kik lawsuit was too late, and that's why this lawsuit will be effective in killing Typo. The only settlement at this point us BlackBerry getting something greater than 50%....at least it should be.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:27 PM
    Typo Products has replied:

“We are aware of the lawsuit that Blackberry filed today against Typo Products. Although we respect Blackberry and its intellectual property, we believe that Blackberry’s claims against Typo lack merit and we intend to defend the case vigorously. We are excited about our innovative keyboard design, which is the culmination of years of development and research. The Typo keyboard has garnered an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. We are also looking forward to our product launch at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week and remain on track to begin shipping pre-orders at the end of January.”
    milo53, cjcampbell and randall2580 like this.
    01-03-14 09:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry and Kik Interactive come to terms, settlement ends all legal action | CrackBerry.com

Long story short, case was dismissed but it was DRAAAAAAAAAAWWWWN out.
    01-03-14 09:38 PM
132 12345 ...