This is going to get a LOT of play in the media, I'm quite sure...

BlackBerry, the struggling mobile device maker, has filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Typo Products, the startup co-founded by Ryan Seacrest that has developed a smartphone keyboard attachment.

Typo Products reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

�This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry�s iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design,� Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry�s general counsel and chief legal officer, said in a statement.

BlackBerry Sues Ryan Seacrest’s Smartphone Keyboard Startup | Variety
    01-03-14 11:46 AM
    This is going to get a LOT of play in the media, I'm quite sure...

BlackBerry, the struggling mobile device maker, has filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Typo Products, the startup co-founded by Ryan Seacrest that has developed a smartphone keyboard attachment.

Typo Products reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry’s iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design,” Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry’s general counsel and chief legal officer, said in a statement.

BlackBerry Sues Ryan Seacrest’s Smartphone Keyboard Startup | Variety
    Good to see they are paying attention. I am not sure they will get anywhere with it (there are some key differences in the keyboard, but the design is very similar). Worth a shot to protect themselves. What they need to do is release their OWN keyboard for the iPhone haha
    01-03-14 11:50 AM
    What they need to do is release their OWN keyboard for the iPhone haha
    This would be very cunning. Even better if it came with a BBM button to launch the app.
    01-03-14 11:53 AM
    Good to see they are paying attention. I am not sure they will get anywhere with it (there are some key differences in the keyboard, but the design is very similar). Worth a shot to protect themselves. What they need to do is release their OWN keyboard for the iPhone haha
    *Prior Art*
    01-03-14 11:55 AM
    They really should.

I think Blackberry has a really strong case. Typo's materials on their website didn't use the Blackberry name specifically, but for all intents and purposes were discussing the Blackberry. And the keyboard uses exactly the same set up and icons, etc.
    01-03-14 11:55 AM
    Poor Ryan. I don't know why everybody hates him. He doesn't even have a reality show or show up on the tabloids all the time like Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan, or Paris Hilton; but, for some reason people don't like him anyway.
    jay64 likes this.
    01-03-14 12:53 PM
    It's good to see BlackBerry is aggressively protecting their patents.

Blackberry Sues Ryan Seacrest's Start Up-bb.jpg
    01-03-14 01:07 PM
    It does look almost exactly like a BB keyboard with the scalloped keys and all. Though I am sure there are previous ones that have as well. Perhaps BB has had some hands on and considers this one so well done that it could move away a good chunk of those last qwerty hold outs? And thus worth pursuing action against...

Yeah it's getting press. I saw a CNBC story about it earlier.
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    01-03-14 01:11 PM
    Ah, why not help 'em out...
    I think BlackBerry should design an add-on BB style keyboard for the iPhone. It would need to be a rechargeable device that uses a "special" power plug that isn't used on anything else on the market. The special charger should then be sold separately and cost around $50.00.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-03-14 01:12 PM
    As I said in a different thread, it is good to see BlackBerry actively defending what is rightfully theirs.

I agree with others in this thread. Maybe BB should just make their own keyboard for the iPhone. At this point, it may make them more money than their handset business.
    01-03-14 01:16 PM
    Frankly, I think the whole patent/IP system needs some drastic reforms to bring it into the 21st century.

That said, Apple and Samsung have sued the pants off each other for everything from how the devices look, to universal search, to touch screen technology.

So why is it unreasonable for BlackBerry to try to protect itself in the same way? I'll answer my own question: it's not at all unreasonable. In fact, I applaud them for taking a stand and showing they have some fight in them yet.
    john_v, Anilu7, Monsterlad and 1 others like this.
    01-03-14 01:21 PM
    Poor Ryan. I don't know why everybody hates him. He doesn't even have a reality show or show up on the tabloids all the time like Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan, or Paris Hilton; but, for some reason people don't like him anyway.
    Many people don't realize, Ryan is one of the most powerful movers in Hollywood. Kim Kardashian owes ALL her fame to him. Ever notice, KUWTK is a Seacrest Production? This guy created and produced the show, as many other shows. Ryan is not stupid, he will be fine. Don't see this as a good thing for BB.

Say what you want, BB weekly enjoyed free weekly advertisement from the Kardashian family, always on the Porsche BB in full view. Did BB just put an end to this freebee?
    01-03-14 01:47 PM
    Many people don't realize, Ryan is one of the most powerful movers in Hollywood. Kim Kardashian owes ALL her fame to him. Ever notice, KUWTK is a Seacrest Production? This guy created and produced the show, as many other shows. Ryan is not stupid, he will be fine. Don't see this as a good thing for BB.

Say what you want, BB weekly enjoyed free weekly advertisement from the Kardashian family, always on the Porsche BB in full view. Did BB just put an end to this freebee?
    Whatttt?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 01:52 PM
    This will probably work out about as well as that whole Kik situation did. Kik looked and worked just like BBM, BlackBerry sued them and years later, the case was settled and went away pretty quietly and now Kik has a few million more users than BBM does.

We don't have all the details, but suing Kik certainly doesn't seem like it was good idea for BlackBerry. If anything, they just helped spread the word about Kik. If the same thing happens with this iPhone keyboard, they may lose a lot of customers.
    01-03-14 02:00 PM
    I would buy a nice BB add on keyboard for iPhone in an instant. I will order the Typo one as soon/if it becomes available.

Not sure how Seacrest producing a TV show helps him escape a patent infringement suit.

I'm guessing BB weighed the advantages of having a no-nothing reality show creation holding a phone to an audience that doesn't care about it anyway, to the disadvantages of losing their intellectual property (and it's inherent advantages) to their biggest competition, and decided to risk losing the reality "star".
    This will probably work out about as well as that whole Kik situation did. Kik looked and worked just like BBM, BlackBerry sued them and years later, the case was settled and went away pretty quietly and now Kik has a few hundred thousand more users than BBM does.

We don't have all the details, but suing Kik certainly doesn't seem like it was good idea for BlackBerry. If anything, they just helped spread the word about Kik. If the same thing happens with this iPhone keyboard, they may lose a lot of customers.
    As opposed to doing nothing and losing potentially more customers?
    01-03-14 02:01 PM
    Lawyers are the ones that always wins in these types of cases
    01-03-14 02:05 PM
    As opposed to doing nothing and losing potentially more customers?
    Nah, they should do what people want them to do. Release a keyboard for the iPhone and put Android onto a QWERTY device.

Obviously there must be at least some demand for a good smartphone with a good physical keyboard. If there wasn't, then why is this even being discussed? They could try to cash in on that demand instead of wasting resources on making lawyers rich from a lawsuit that very well could do nothing except making more people aware of this product.
    01-03-14 02:10 PM
    ^^^ is there anything that BB does that you dont go the other way ie against it?
    01-03-14 02:15 PM
    ^^^ is there anything that BB does that you dont go the other way ie against it?
    I was for them suing Kik. I couldn't believe someone who had actually worked on BBM went and ripped it off like that. So I was happy when I heard they sued over that. Now, we've seen how well that lawsuit worked out for them. I'm sure it helped Kik more than it hurt.

PS. Discuss the post not the poster.
    m1a1mg, Acidwire and kevinnugent like this.
    01-03-14 02:22 PM
    Nah, they should do what people want them to do. Release a keyboard for the iPhone and put Android onto a QWERTY device.

Obviously there must be at least some demand for a good smartphone with a good physical keyboard. If there wasn't, then why is this even being discussed? They could try to cash in on that demand instead of wasting resources on making lawyers rich from a lawsuit that very well could do nothing except making more people aware of this product.
    Uh, what?

Why would a company release a product that makes their competitors product work like their product?

Yes, there is some demand for a good smartphone with a good physical keyboard. That's why Blackberry MAKES ONE. And thus...protects it with something we call "a patent".

Cash in on demand to make your competitors product better than yours? How is this possible?

A lawsuit does more than make lawyers rich, just like buying a smartphone does more than make smartphone makers rich. A law suit protects what few advantages you still have. Basic business. Yes, it's possible they may draw more attention to it....short term....but it hasn't gotten of the ground yet. Who cares if it gets more attention if they never sell a keyboard?
    01-03-14 02:40 PM
    Lawyers are the ones that always wins in these types of cases
    By "these type of cases", do you mean all cases?
    01-03-14 02:42 PM
    Uh, what?

Why would a company release a product that makes their competitors product work like their product?

Yes, there is some demand for a good smartphone with a good physical keyboard. That's why Blackberry MAKES ONE. And thus...protects it with something we call "a patent".

Cash in on demand to make your competitors product better than yours? How is this possible?

A lawsuit does more than make lawyers rich, just like buying a smartphone does more than make smartphone makers rich. A law suit protects what few advantages you still have. Basic business. Yes, it's possible they may draw more attention to it....short term....but it hasn't gotten of the ground yet. Who cares if it gets more attention if they never sell a keyboard?
    They've already done what you think they shouldn't have.

They already gave the competition BBM didn't they? Didn't that help make the competition more attractive? They gave the competition their mobile device management solution also didn't they? Didn't that make the competitors offerings more attractive? The only thing BlackBerry really has left is the keyboard. Why not try to cash in on that as well?

Why is it OK for BlackBerry to try to cash in on their BBM and MDM but not the keyboard?

BBM and BES were exclusive strengths of BlackBerry, but both are now on the competition's devices. Why not do the same with the keyboard?
    01-03-14 02:52 PM
    This will probably work out about as well as that whole Kik situation did. Kik looked and worked just like BBM, BlackBerry sued them and years later, the case was settled and went away pretty quietly and now Kik has a few million more users than BBM does.

BlackBerry has an obligation to protect its proprietary designs and technology ......if not, what's the point of spending millions on patents?
    01-03-14 02:58 PM
132 123 ...