Remember with Blackberry subscriber numbers dropping by 4 million each quarter BBM is actually a shrinking ecosystem. The momentum is just not there.
    So I think cross-platform BBM is still a good idea, because it may slow the bleeding on BBM. So you at least can retain some outgoing BB customers as BBM customers. Then for some period of time at least you have perhaps 30-50 million active users on which to build a network? Of course, as you say, you still have to provide a better service than the other messaging apps. I think there is an opportunity there because those other services are still new and are not IMO all that great.

That doesn't mean than Blackberry's first implementations on iOS and Android will be all that great either. They are going to have to get this right. I hope they will. BBM as a social network still becomes a bit of a long shot, but even 20-30 million users is worth something if BB10 doesn't succeed and they end up looking at strategic options.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 08-04-13 at 08:32 AM.
    08-04-13 07:59 AM

In the developed world, where more than 60% of Blackberrys are, BBM is still a big deal with a strong network effect, which has been sustaining Blackberry 7 handset sales, but making it cross platform will kill Blackberry sales stone cold dead, as everyone switch to cheap Android handsets, where they will also have access to a large number of high quality messaging apps like Line, Whatsapp etc both with more than 200 million users already.

My take on this is - Blackberry themselves already know this - the handset market is lost but they are desperately trying to decouple services from hardware in a sort of managed decline while at the same time paying lipservice to the idea of BB10 building the company back up/hoping there is a buyout. Now it is more than likely you are right about BBM but I would think the internal reasoning is that there is absolutely nothing left to lose at this stage at trying this - at worse it accelerates the decline.
    08-04-13 08:25 AM
    I'm in the same boat except the Q10 is probably the only phone I would want right now. I just want a nice qwerty I like blackberry over android but it does worry me that support might end.
    law2010 likes this.
    08-04-13 08:52 AM
    I'm in the same boat except the Q10 is probably the only phone I would want right now. I just want a nice qwerty I like blackberry over android but it does worry me that support might end.
    I agree 100%. I'm using Android now, but i do like the looks of the Q10. Reminds me of my Bold9000, but i'm afraid that the support may end by 2015.
    law2010 likes this.
    08-04-13 09:00 AM
    Even if BlackBerry tanks, which is certainly possible, your Q10 will still work. If you think you'll like it, get it, and don't worry about what phone you'll get next.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with this is that you do need a growing and dynamic company to continue to innovate and invest. It's not as if BB10 doesn't require further investment, innovation and improvement. As so many here have said (and used as an excuse) BB10 is still in its infancy (despite years of development, it is far from complete) so unless BB10 consumers are willing to put up with a product which is frozen in time, we'd better hope that BBRY does well enough to continue to invest in at least OS improvements if not new devices.
    JeepBB and law2010 like this.
    08-04-13 09:00 AM
    The wonderful thing about life is that at some point in the medium term future, we will find out whether BlackBerry is really 'dead', or whether the predictions on either side of the debate were true or false.

I'm predicting that BlackBerry will not fail, or die. It could, but, in my view, only if the management screw things up. BlackBerry has plenty of plays available, and I'll predict a short term period of continued decline in some areas before things noticeably pick out and the company is on solid ground a year or so from now.

In the meantime, I'll see how Q2 goes, and consider buying even more stock then.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:15 PM
    I'm predicting that BlackBerry will not fail, or die. It could, but, in my view, only if the management screw things up.
    So, from that I'd guess it's your belief that BB management are doing an excellent job and are making smart decisions now and recently... and them screwing-up is merely a worry for the future?
    08-04-13 04:36 PM
    I think Heins is doing a good job, but, like the rest of his team, some things could be better. That's, or course, very easy for me to say from the sidelines. I could make grand, and overly confident claims and predictions, but that sort of thing isn't very meaningful. I've taken a good look at things, and I think BlackBerry will be alright, probably. One can't make definite predictions because none of us has enough evidence or knowledge of future unknowns. As I said, based on what I've considered, I think they have a number of plays in front of them which can end in them maintaining the hardware side, and the software side, plus some areas they are not in yet.

Strangely, people are saying that BlackBerry is dead in regards to their hardware portfolio, despite the Z10 and Q10 being top shelf phones. I think that's a rash prediction to make, personally.

Anyway, as I said, all our talking is of little consequence. This Christmas season will be something to watch, along with the twelve months following the release of BBM. For all the posts we can make, reality will sort itself out, one way or the other.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 05:08 PM
    I think Heins is doing a good job, but, like the rest of his team,...

Posted via CB10
    Humm Are U joking ??

08-04-13 07:51 PM
    I think Heins is doing a good job, but, like the rest of his team, some things could be better.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, you're right, some things could be better like, perhaps:
    - OS development & execution
    - hardware development & execution
    - marketing & communications
    - sales

Other than that, things are just going really swell!
    JeepBB and mset like this.
    08-04-13 08:49 PM
    I still don't understand how people like windows phones over blackberry. I guess it's because of the microsoft integration? Because idk I would never buy a windows phone.

BlackBerry Q10 / HTC One
    08-04-13 09:02 PM
    I still don't understand how people like windows phones over blackberry. I guess it's because of the microsoft integration? Because idk I would never buy a windows phone.

BlackBerry Q10 / HTC One
    Why not? Truly curious.
    08-04-13 11:53 PM
    I guess the UI. Just colored blocks. Seems like a toddlers phone. I use my blackberrys for a production machine then this HTC because the screens beautiful and the UI is great, widgets and customizations. But I guess it depends all on what the user needs out of their phone but I don't see what windows would offer that a blackberry wouldn't be the first choice over that.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    08-05-13 01:10 AM
    Up strong this morning. No real news. More shorts getting out?
    08-05-13 10:18 AM
    Up strong this morning. No real news. More shorts getting out?
    Samsung to offer BBM in Samsung App store for all GALAXY Smartphone devices | CrackBerry.com

no real news eh? lol
    08-05-13 10:25 AM

BlackBerry Q10 / HTC One
    This actually. I looked at the list of apps for paypal and for my bank. They offer it to apple, android, and windows phone, but not blackberry. Windows phone sucks lol, for the full touch/app phones its either apple or android.

BB has good integration don't know why people are going for windows, and why windows is getting more attention.
    08-05-13 12:26 PM
    This actually. I looked at the list of apps for paypal and for my bank. They offer it to apple, android, and windows phone, but not blackberry. Windows phone sucks lol, for the full touch/app phones its either apple or android.

BB has good integration don't know why people are going for windows, and why windows is getting more attention.
    Well, Microsoft is a juggernaut and can throw their weight around. But more importantly, most people already use Microsoft products on other platforms (PC, laptop), so I can see why an outside company would take a chance. Microsoft products are already ingrained in many people's daily lives. So one could see potential in a phone that already has a very well-established ecosystem.

That being said, I personally didn't really like the look of the UI. But, as with every other smart phone platform, I am sure it has its positives and works really well for some people.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 12:48 PM
    I'm glad you made yourself laugh.

Samsung has announced today that BBM will soon be available via Google Play and the Samsung App store for customers across Africa.

Africa is the HARDEST continent to make money. Thanks for playing. Basically, you have no idea either.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-05-13 08:29 PM
    Also, did you notice the article that was just posted a minute ago here at Crackberry? It references that the market share of Blackberry sales in the United States has fallen to 1.1%.

BlackBerry

So, I do not think I am far off base in merely asking if there are people like me holding off on buying a new Blackberry because there is some question as to the permanency of the company in the mobile market. And yes, I am aware that they have a 70 million user subscriber base if you count the entire world. However, that is for mainly older legacy Blackberry devices, many of which are in emerging countries that are now just getting deeply integrated into the mobile market.
    News Flash... There are more highly educated people in places like India then there are smart phone users in the US.. yes the US market is important but it's not the only place on this planet that people use smartphone. And believe it or not the world doesn't revolve around the US, no matter how much they think it does.

1.1% is pretty much rock bottom, only one way to go and that's up! They need to keep user base strong in parts of the world they are king until BB10 get traction and starts to mature as an os.

Posted via CB10 using my Zed10
    08-05-13 08:42 PM
    It appears 0.7 % was rock bottom as it increased by 0.4% to 1.1% from May to June.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-05-13 08:45 PM
    News Flash... There are more highly educated people in places like India then there are smart phone users in the US.. yes the US market is important but it's not the only place on this planet that people use smartphone. And believe it or not the world doesn't revolve around the US, no matter how much they think it does.

1.1% is pretty much rock bottom, only one way to go and that's up! They need to keep user base strong in parts of the world they are king until BB10 get traction and starts to mature as an os.

What quantifies "highly educated people" in your book. Rough number of smart phone users in the US is 141 million. That means 1.41 billion "highly educated people" other places in the world.

And yes, the marketing world does revolve around the US. It is the most marketed country on the earth.
    law2010 likes this.
    08-05-13 09:46 PM
    To this day a lot of people who realise I have a BlackBerry as my personal phone just have this look of bewilderment. "You bought a BlackBerry as your personal phone?" ah yes, and I love it. Then starts the explanation and short demo and most people just nod and look half convinced. I think BlackBerry has a long way to go to sway the mass public.

Hope they get there one day.

Posted via Q10 goodness!!
    law2010 likes this.
    08-06-13 05:22 AM

Yeah, it looks like you missed the whole beginning of this post. When it comes to my hesitance to buy a new Q10, it is based on the fact that the market share being so small in the United States that there is some question as to whether prominent app makers will actually create the basic apps that other smartphones have had for a very long time. I further explained that I feared the longterm viability of the company may be in question to some of the major app makers due to the extreme decline in stock and mass exodus of Blackberry users, which numerous people have posted on this thread that the subscriber base continues to shrink by 4 million users per quarter.

Now, when I referred to basic apps, I really am talking about basic applications. For example, when I want to watch a funny skit on YouTube that has 6 million views and all of my buddies say I need to watch it, I would like to know that it is actually going to work. Now, when I visited my local Verizon store on August 4th, I tried to load the video through the YouTube "app" on the Q10, which is actually a link to the mobile website. I was unable to load the video that works just fine on my Droid DNA in the YouTube app. The reason is that the person who uploaded the video did not give the video permission to play on the mobile website. However, it plays in my YouTube app on my Droid DNA. If you have a Q10, go ahead and try to watch "Old Gregg Full (HD Version)," and you will see what I am referring to.

If I buy a Q10, I want to somehow quell my concern that basic apps are coming sooner rather than later. Without the basic apps, the phone will not fulfill my needs.

The education level of people in India is irrelevant to my post and completely unnecessary. However, I will note that the apps I generally use are basic apps developed primarily for use in the United States. Again, your Indian education argument really is irrelevant, unnecessary and without merit.
    08-06-13 04:08 PM
    Yeah, it looks like you missed the whole beginning of this post. When it comes to my hesitance to buy a new Q10, it is based on the fact that the market share being so small in the United States that there is some question as to whether prominent app makers will actually create the basic apps that other smartphones have had for a very long time. I further explained that I feared the longterm viability of the company may be in question to some of the major app makers due to the extreme decline in stock and mass exodus of Blackberry users, which numerous people have posted on this thread that the subscriber base continues to shrink by 4 million users per quarter.

Now, when I referred to basic apps, I really am talking about basic applications. For example, when I want to watch a funny skit on YouTube that has 6 million views and all of my buddies say I need to watch it, I would like to know that it is actually going to work. Now, when I visited my local Verizon store on August 4th, I tried to load the video through the YouTube "app" on the Q10, which is actually a link to the mobile website. I was unable to load the video that works just fine on my Droid DNA in the YouTube app. The reason is that the person who uploaded the video did not give the video permission to play on the mobile website. However, it plays in my YouTube app on my Droid DNA. If you have a Q10, go ahead and try to watch "Old Gregg Full (HD Version)," and you will see what I am referring to.

If I buy a Q10, I want to somehow quell my concern that basic apps are coming sooner rather than later. Without the basic apps, the phone will not fulfill my needs.

The education level of people in India is irrelevant to my post and completely unnecessary. However, I will note that the apps I generally use are basic apps developed primarily for use in the United States. Again, your Indian education argument really is irrelevant, unnecessary and without merit.
    I don't use an app for YouTube. Never made sense to me. However, the video plays perfectly, in HD, in the native browser.
    dusdal likes this.
    08-06-13 04:33 PM
    Confirmed Old Gregg HD loads perfectly on the browser.

Even played it on the big screen to confirm it was HD

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:57 PM
156 ... 4567