Don't worry about the stock price. What you really have to worry about is marketshare. With something like 1% of US marketshare divided among two separate smartphone platforms, Blackberry devices will get very little attention from major developers. We're talking about 4th place, here, which means 4th priority among businesses that want to have smartphone apps - most of which are not in the app business like your bank. They just look at what most of their customers use.
    BoyAndroid likes this.
    07-31-13 12:05 AM

I want Blackberry to succeed overwhelmingly. However, due to my fear that investors running from the company in droves undermines the public and developer confidence in the company's permanency, I will not bite the bullet and fork out $600.00 to buy a Blackberry Q10. Of course, my consumer attitude of fear of buying a phone that I am not sure will receive adequate support creates a further problem that I will not be adding to the company's margin of subscribers, which of course makes them less likely to succeed.

Basically, I feel like buying one of their phones at this point is a massive gamble.

Is there anyone else out there who has held off on buying one of their phones based on the lack of investor confidence and high quality developer confidence in the platform?
    All of the above is why the stock market is a crock of sh*t. It's a method of gambling under another name, only the rules are speculation, but what is ridiculous, is that if enough people 'speculate' the same thing, that thing actually happens.

From a consumer perspective, I didn't give a crap about any of that, I just went out and bought it because I like the OS, the experience and the hardware and I did it on the hope that things will only get better. I turn over a smartphone every year and this year, BB was the choice. If BB go under then I've kind of lost $600...not a great scenario but definitely not the end of the world. So....I did that, and I'm nowhere near the BB fan you purport to be. What's wrong with this picture? Are you well within your right to hold off until you are assured the company will be around long term, absolutely, but that won't help blackberry. My point is that if you are the fan first, investor second as you suggest, then holding off to make sure it becomes a success is rather...un-fan like. That's what I would expect the average Joe to do.
    07-31-13 02:19 AM
    For me the main reason I bought blackberry is because it works for me. The interface, the usability, the battery life. I dont care if blackberry is here tomorrow or not. It's just a phone and it will continue to work with or without blackberry. I got more important stuff to think and do (like which leaks to test and install ;-)) than think about blackberry's future. I can control my future, let them worry about theirs.
    If BBRY tank there will be no more leaks to play with as development of the platform will be pulled.

Personally, I think its far more likely there will be a takeover of some kind. Whether this is a hostile, destructive one or not only time will tell.

Either way, lay offs and cutting back on R&D spend ain't the way to go for a company that wants to compete with the big boys.
    07-31-13 02:31 AM
    If you are holding off because you think BlackBerry will disappear soon or even in near future you are completely wrong. Read more about their situation not some anti BlackBerry bias.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    You mean Blackberry discover plutonium in their backyard and as such they will have funds to hang out few more quarters? LOL
    07-31-13 03:18 AM
    I paid $500+ for a Palm Pre!

I really did like WebOS. The Palm now occupies a place of honor in my electronics graveyard.
    So did I. And it was a mistake.
    07-31-13 03:19 AM
    Where are the rumours about BBRY and SONY?
    07-31-13 03:22 AM
    Yeah, that is pretty cheap for decent daycare in my area. There are half day daycare here that requires you to pick up your kid by noon and they cost upwards of $1,400 per month.
    Geez, I am in the wrong field. I hope these daycare provide more than basic care. Maybe help the child het an educational jump?

Btw, thanks everyone, you have all validated my decision to not have children.
    07-31-13 03:25 AM
    This company is not dead, but investors confidence in the board is possibly at an all time low. Market cap and the silence from the board is beyond comical.

The market cap is what everyone should keep an eye on. The moment any large investor takes a considerable position, he or she will have full control of the company. At current market cap, a simply 10% of a block purchase could put the dream of many in limbo. Keep your eyes open for ( 13F or 13D filing) . If that hits the streets, the new owner could sell this company for pieces and still make a fortune. They could sell off everything , Network, Inventory, Patents etc etc and pay themselves a nice salary with the cash on hand.

If I was the directors I would be firming up my CV.
    07-31-13 05:01 AM
    I was an avid Android user. S3, S4, Note2, and Note8. Loved, loved, loved Android. But I always felt when trying to do work on an Android device, everything seemed a little disjointed.
    Took a gamble on a Z10. After 2 months, I couldn't be more pleased. I still use my Note8, occasionally, but not often. If you want to accomplish a lot of different activities all day on a mobile device, the Z10 wins easily.
    As more and more people start using smartphones for more tasks hopefully they will discover what I did.
    I believe in business it is more important to be the best than the biggest. I hope BlackBerry will be available for some time so the word can spread about a truly remarkable OS.
    As far as a reply to the original post, I believe consumers will have to try other OS first before discovering what I believe to be the best. It's hard to appreciate how good BB10 is unless you have lived and worked on the others.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with ya 100%. What got my eye was "disjointed" which, as opposed to Blackberry which is most excellently "integrated". The masses out there could give a hoot about "disjointed" and I don't see that as changing any time soon. I too have the Android phones (Epic 4G, NexusS, Nexus 4) and while they are good, they are disjointed as you say. My blackberry phones (especially my Z10 with the Hub) is very well integrated. My older BB phones which I still have (BB9900, BB9930, BB9700, BB9780,BB9790) are "integrated" but only as long as I have BIS on them. The Z10, without BIS, will live a long time even if somehow (I seriously doubt) Blackberry goes under. If the masses understood, and appreciated, "integration" vs "disjointed" , then Blackberry would, in my opinion, rise up! But again, I don't see this happening cause most people again don't see, need, appreciate Blackberry's awesome "integration".
    But to the OP, get your new Z10 . Blackberry is gonna be around a while and again, if they are not, you will still have an excellent workable Z10 (a lot of thanks goes to not needing BIS anymore).
    07-31-13 06:13 AM
    Don't forget that in the pre-Steve Jobs days Apple was in MUCH worse shape that BBRY. They developed a product line, got a vision for the company, and acquired some discipline (sound familiar?) which brought them to their current state. It didn't happen overnight. I see BBRY in much the same situation. Apple is stagnating, and its customers are leaving in droves, which does not spell success. BB is currently working its way through a complete make over, with a far simpler product line that should help it in all markets, not just the US. A recipe for a positive future. And still with 60 million users.
    The problem with the Jobs analogy is there there was only one Steve Jobs. I think under most others, Apple would have folded or sold

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 06:28 AM
    Here is something to add

Is it relevant that you follow the stock on your "Google widget "?

Perhaps a title of "concerned for developer support due to stock price "

Deciding on a phone because of stock price? Guess you will stay away from windows as well?

Subtle...give you that. There is a trend emerging thou, many are taking notice

Allow me to offer some advice. You want a qwerty phone? Get the Q10, you WILL not find a better qwerty device......regardless of stock price.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    I will agree that you just added something of value with this and appreciate it.

To address your concern that I mention the type of widgets I use currently on my Droid DNA is, again, merely to provide a more comprehensive view of how I use my phone and how that has also been used by me to personally monitor how Blackberry has been doing in making a decision to purchase or abstain from a Blackberry Q10. I am an attorney in Florida and I am required to provide a comprehensive background to my statements that I make in court as well as my arguments in appellate briefs if I am sending something to the district court. Providing a comprehensive informational background merely helps in contextualizing remarks I am making. I apologize that my desire to be more comprehensive to assist in contextualizing my remarks unsettles you, but when you operate in a professional field like mine, it is expected of the higher end attorneys.

Now, as for what is of value in your statement. I agree that the Q10 is likely the best QWERTY device on the market. I do not personally care for sliders and certainly not landscape slider smartphones. I find them to be cumbersome. My Blackberry 8330 and Blackberry Tour 9630 had phenomenal keyboards, which is what has drawn me back to looking at Blackberry again despite some issues that can hopefully be resolved by software updates. The hardware on the Q10 is already top-notch, so I do not see an issue there.
    07-31-13 07:02 AM
    Are you a day trader or a long term investor? The market numbers dont mean anything as you can see. The market is built on Speculation not how a company is actually doing.
    BoyAndroid likes this.
    07-31-13 07:03 AM
    Most of the time when I show people my phone or talk about BB, they say they heard that BlackBerry is failing or going bankrupt. So public perception is very skewed. It will just take time. I am hoping things like the ridiculously large bulletin boards advertising BlackBerry in places like NYC will slowly start to change the perception and get people interested. They even have interactive kiosks with large screens to show you how BB10 works.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. It still amazes me that every time I see a Blackberry 9900 in the wild (I have never seen a person with a Q10 in public), that I look at the phone and drool a bit thinking about how business sleek it looks. The phones just look professional, which can help if your personal image matters in obtaining clients.

I think that more exposure can get people thinking about the benefits of these phones. I also hope Blackberry somehow creates a commercial that just shows the awesome stuff the phone can do. They were close with the ad that showed one business woman using BBM video to call her colleague who was sleeping somewhere else in the world on vacation.

I think there is a substantial number of people who unknowingly believe that Blackberry 10 is similar to the legacy OS7. I know this operating system, once it is fully fleshed out, can operate at the same level and in many instances higher than iOS and Android.
    07-31-13 07:09 AM
    The stock currently is slightly overvalued at $8.70 per share IMHO....
    ...It needs to drop more to generate the impetus for BBRY to get busy.
    ...And start "aggressively" addressing the platforms current failures.

The stock will then start to tick up allowing the company to get out of it's own soiled bed....
    ...Make no mistake about it good people - BBRY is wallowing around in it's own mess right now.
    ...Currently the company is incontinent and will remain that way until such time it does something about it.

If the Stock drops another $1.50 I will roll the dice and take the gamble and buy some more.....
    ....I believe the 3rd world market share is enough to keep the company on life support.
    ...Until such time BBRY gets sick and tired of rolling around in it's own fecal matter.
    I really hope you are right. I want them to recapture the market. Hopefully something innovative can be done from the software side. The QNX based operating system is already innovative, but it still needs work like all of the major OS's did back when they first launched. I am just hoping Blackberry can get some momentum to move forward sooner rather than later. That said, I am impressed they got 10.1 out so quickly.
    07-31-13 07:13 AM
    All of the above is why the stock market is a crock of sh*t. It's a method of gambling under another name, only the rules are speculation, but what is ridiculous, is that if enough people 'speculate' the same thing, that thing actually happens.

From a consumer perspective, I didn't give a crap about any of that, I just went out and bought it because I like the OS, the experience and the hardware and I did it on the hope that things will only get better. I turn over a smartphone every year and this year, BB was the choice. If BB go under then I've kind of lost $600...not a great scenario but definitely not the end of the world. So....I did that, and I'm nowhere near the BB fan you purport to be. What's wrong with this picture? Are you well within your right to hold off until you are assured the company will be around long term, absolutely, but that won't help blackberry. My point is that if you are the fan first, investor second as you suggest, then holding off to make sure it becomes a success is rather...un-fan like. That's what I would expect the average Joe to do.
    I am a big fan, please don't get me wrong. However, I have a wife who I also like to keep happy. If I spend $600.00 on something that does not work out, I assure you that I will have an ear full and her being very unhappy with me. I do not spend that kind of money without consulting my wife.
    07-31-13 07:17 AM
    I am a big fan, please don't get me wrong. However, I have a wife who I also like to keep happy. If I spend $600.00 on something that does not work out, I assure you that I will have an ear full and her being very unhappy with me. I do not spend that kind of money without consulting my wife.
    Most carriers have a return policy don't they? Take your chances, try it out, nobody can convince you except yourself.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-31-13 07:36 AM
    Even products that are viewed as the most reliable have a few lemons. I have had several Hondas with no problems. But I know people who have had one bad experience with one car and view the entire Honda line as unreliable.

You can easily get an iPhone or S4 and have problems too. So just go try it!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 07:40 AM
    Drastic change in marketing tactics, or down and out.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 07:44 AM
    Even products that are viewed as the most reliable have a few lemons. I have had several Hondas with no problems. But I know people who have had one bad experience with one car and view the entire Honda line as unreliable.

You can easily get an iPhone or S4 and have problems too. So just go try it!

Posted via CB10
    Yup my mom's Iphone 4 was replaced bec of proximity sensor not working and my daughters iPhone 4 just stopped working Monday night and she is getting a replacement in the mail.

Z10
    07-31-13 07:45 AM
    Green in PM. Will probably finish red if you have been following the trend

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 08:03 AM
    Yup my mom's Iphone 4 was replaced bec of proximity sensor not working and my daughters iPhone 4 just stopped working Monday night and she is getting a replacement in the mail.

Z10
    As many have pointed out, the initial launch of the iPhone had tons of problems. But I bet diehard Apple fans sounded a lot like people here in terms of support.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 08:05 AM
    Some people think that successes or changes are won is like in a movie montage: it lasts about the length of a song and only takes 3-5 minutes long to achieve.

It doesn't.

BlackBerry knows what's at stake and knows it needs to hustle and refine in order to achieve, but like everything in life, it will take time.

Just about all the lawyers or people studying law that I have met are so hyper-sensitive about making a decision because words like "liability" are plastered all over their minds that they get stuck when trying to make a decision. Sometimes even simpler ones.

If you like the phone and it is useful to your needs, then just buy the darn thing.

BlackBerry is here to stay and isn't shutting down anytime soon. These majority of these so-called "analysts" just want their 15 seconds of notice.

Best of luck to you.
    07-31-13 08:15 AM
    Maybe misread but $1200 a month in daycare?
    You most likely didn't misread. I have one in daycare that is just shy of $1200 a month. My wife is expecting our second in October so soon it will be almost $2400 a month...
    07-31-13 08:28 AM
    Well, Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie aren't stupid people and they bailed when their stocks were more than double what they are now in a matter of months.That could tell you something but we're all here to believe that Blackberry will survive. Hope & Faith, right? I'm with the percentage of people on this site that say if your happy with your phone, Z10, Q10, keep it until your contract runs out. Then and only then can you re-evaluate your options for selecting your next device/smartphone. I will keep praising my Z10. I have 1.5 years left on my contract so I'm good for now and the phone is working exactly how I want it to, minus a few apps.
    law2010 likes this.
    07-31-13 08:33 AM

Z10
    My general concerns are not about the hardware. I think the Q10 is top-notch in terms of hardware. My wife's iPhone 4 had a home button that died and it had to be replaced. I am not worried about general hardware issues for a few phones out of millions made because there are always problems with any product-- every brand of car for example.
    07-31-13 08:43 AM
156 12345 ...