For those of you who don't know this, Blackberry stock (BBRY on the NASDAQ stock exchange) has about one third of its float "shorted". Without getting into the technical trading details of it all, it basically amounts to having a good portion of the people who trade Blackberry stock "speculating" that Blackberry will continue to drop in value and possible go out of business. This is called selling short which is the opposite of going long on a stock. Short sellers make money if the stock goes down in price and while an essential part of our trading system. they can really hurt a company when there are too many. Ultimately it can create a negative or false perception about a company's true value.

That said, these short sellers know no boundaries and will do practically anything to bring down the value of a stock. This includes manipulating the market perceptions with false news and hype (to scare investors) as well as issuing totally biased "analyst" reports. I'm sure you've seen these news and/or reports on the web and said to yourself "hold on, that makes no sense or it contradicts so and so". Suffice to say that these short sellers in my opinion are currently hurting Blackberry. They have been at it for years and I say its time we show them that Blackberry, and the Z10, are doing just fine thank you.

Hence, I invite you to register, read and place comments of your own "POSITIVE" experiences and/or news bits on the NASDAQ Blackberry (BBRY) forum here:

Research In Motion Limited (BBRY) Market Stream - NASDAQ.com

Why the NASDAQ forum? Because this forum is where many of the short sellers go to pat themselves on the back when they have successfully brought down a stock or simply to kick Blackberry down as a means of creating negative hype.

I say, lets create our own positive hype.

Cheers o7
    fedakd and helis4life like this.
    03-24-13 12:13 AM
    just curious, if a margin call is made and those with short stock try to limit losses by buying back bbry, the stock theoretically could see a spike in price? And should that occur its possible to hold stock now, wait for the spike and sell while high to make a decent profit?

Edit, Im not of the opinion that shorting is an essential part a stock system and instead introduces volatility
    03-24-13 12:33 AM
    I live in NYC and I read the Business section of the NY Post this past Sat. And that people in NYC just ingored the launch of Blackberry Z10. As a fan of Blackberry products, I was upset, but hey we cannot change people, they are brainwashed to be sheep and follow what's popular. What I read is that two young guys (both from India) have sold their Blackberries for Samsung S4. This is an example of the press using people as catalysts for short selling the hype around the Blackberry Z10 because the average joe who reads the paper will just assume that Blackberry hasn't sold any units or created a positive hype because they will believe what they read.

I stopped by my local best buy to see if they have any Z10s to play with, None. Most of the Best Buy employees are iOS and Android fanboys in the smartphone section. If you ask them about a Z10 or a Playbook they will stare at u in the face.

I get the feeling that this is an American political issue that affects Blackberry stock because I think that many Americans would rather support Apple, Google, even Microsoft for that matter than the Canadian company at Waterloo we love very much. I could be wrong. Many People here in NYC didn't care about the Blackberry Z10, only a few.
    RatNuts and kingb71 like this.
    03-24-13 12:33 AM
    I'd like to take this time to introduce the contrarian perspective. Many seasoned investors and economists believe that "shorting" a stock has NO significant impact on a stock value.The reasoning behind this is basic supply/demand economics. A "short" that brings the stock price down makes it a more appealing "long" to someone else. As a matter of fact, short selling was scapegoated by politicians and temporarily banned in a number of nations during the 2008 financial crisis. It was determined after that short selling had no significant impact on stock pricing but merely sharply decreased trading volume.

Do note that even after the Volkswagen "short squeeze", Volkswagen stock corrected back to pre-squeeze price levels rather promptly. Those actively promoting the idea that a stock has great unrealized stock value due to a strong short following are propagating a dangerous misconception. Even without short selling, BBRY would likely be the EXACT same value it is currently.
    03-24-13 06:04 AM
    Very good points @sentimentGX4 and I've heard them before. First, I’m not against short selling. As I said, its are a vital part of our trading system and as mention by @helis4life, introduces volatility. Second, having ⅓ of BBRY’s float shorted is, in my opinion, hurtful to the company and does not reflect the actual health of Blackberry. And finally, I’m mainly against manipulation of any kind especially the decimation of negative hype such as what is found on the NASDAQ forum. Hence, I'm simply asking people to place a positive spin on the NASDAQ forum to offset the negative hype. Short sellers really have to stop thinking of BBRY as a dying company.

On a separate note, given BBRY’s very high short interest and the fact that the stock is heavily accumulated at the moment, I’m sincerely hoping for a short squeeze this week which I think will naturally thin out the size of short sellers. I'm long on BBRY.

Cheers
    03-24-13 09:40 AM
    Come on BB....scrape together $516MM and pay a $1.00 special dividend - the shorters have to pay too...that's another $160MM. We all promise to buy BB gear and stock with the $$$!
    03-24-13 09:53 AM
    I get the feeling that this is an American political issue that affects Blackberry stock because I think that many Americans would rather support Apple, Google, even Microsoft for that matter than the Canadian company at Waterloo we love very much. I could be wrong. Many People here in NYC didn't care about the Blackberry Z10, only a few.
    I don't think so, most of us Americans know Samsung is Korean and apple is made in China... Choosing a north America made product from Canada/Mexico would appease to them more if this was a factor.

The issue in my opinion is that BlackBerry got behind on the times and will have to fight back harder now that the market share has swung so far to the other top operating systems. The latest "gimmicks" do appeal to people and do work. I've been casually suggesting the new Z10 to my friends, most don't upgrade often anyhow and one replied "what's a Z10" then stated "I'm gonna wait for the S4" which isn't that much of a difference from the S3 Imo, the new gimmicks won them over... Practical or not. Compared to the current competition, bb10 runs circles around the operating systems used... A few more gimmicks wouldn't hurt, not to mention top apps.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    03-24-13 10:02 AM
    just curious, if a margin call is made and those with short stock try to limit losses by buying back bbry, the stock theoretically could see a spike in price? And should that occur its possible to hold stock now, wait for the spike and sell while high to make a decent profit?
    Yes, you can make a really big profit "if" the negative hype don't scare off investors (i.e. creates a sell off). The spike you speak of is called a "Short Squeeze". Look it up.
    03-24-13 11:39 AM
    No matter what (RIM) Blackberry does. I will still cling to them as a customer even if people around me use majority iOS. I'm happy with the Blackberry platform since it fits my needs and I'm never a follower of popular products even if the media portrays their stock and reputation as negative.
    03-25-13 08:32 PM
    the short interest keeps going up over 155M now, well lets hope the earnings report is promising.
    03-26-13 08:52 PM
    Some followup thoughts:

1) The high short interest does not reflect on actual (higher) value of Blackberry, its future and the strong confidence investors have in its management team, Blackberry is currently the most heavily short interest company in America;

2) Yesterday's excellent earning report should have resulted in share price to surge up but I think there are other factors (which escape me) that are keeping the share price down or flat. Investors expected a squeeze yesterday which would have reduced the short interest, but that never happened.
    03-29-13 09:05 AM
    2) Yesterday's excellent earning report should have resulted in share price to surge up but I think there are other factors (which escape me) that are keeping the share price down or flat. Investors expected a squeeze yesterday which would have reduced the short interest, but that never happened.
    I think yesterday was like a major battle, with thousands of minor skirmeshes being played out throughout the day.....and the end result is that the shorts lived to fight another day......I'm sure there were an amazing amount of 'tricks' and strategies employed throughout the day and I would love to understand all that went on.

One thing is for sure.....committed longs such as myself likely didn't sell. If you factor us out, including Mike's 5% and other large holdings, the 100 million plus volume was based on maybe only half the outstanding shares, or 225 million.

If anyone has a clue how this might have played out, please contribute!
    03-29-13 09:27 AM
    If anyone has a clue how this might have played out, please contribute!
    My semi-educated guess is day traders. BBRY wild volatility has made it a favorite with day traders. I am willing to bet some of them traded in and out of BBRY multiple times yesterday. The float vs the volume is just too tight to think each of the shares only traded once. My guess is 10-20% of the float changed hands multiple times. Just a guess....
    03-29-13 10:03 AM
    The Anual General Meeting is in June sometime. 40 days before the AGM is the day of record. If you want to receive your proxy votes you must control your shares on this day. If your shares are loaned out, the new guy that bought your shares gets the vote. There are only 516MM shares eligible to vote. I have BB stock in margin account, RRSP, TFSA and Corp. It will be interesting to see how many proxys I get. I am on margin, but will put those shares up for sale before the record day, or pay off the margin and tranfer to my US cash account???

The large shareholders who allowed their shares to be loaned out to collect the 6?% fee, may want them back before the record day. The shorts have to find other shares to borrow or cover their short. Short squeeze. If there is still a huge short position on record day, I'm guessing it's someone or a group collecting voting rights (sell short - buy back same amount of shares and hold) to vote in some scheme that will surely screw us all.....
    04-03-13 01:02 PM
    I live in NYC and I read the Business section of the NY Post this past Sat. And that people in NYC just ingored the launch of Blackberry Z10. As a fan of Blackberry products, I was upset, but hey we cannot change people, they are brainwashed to be sheep and follow what's popular..
    However, if the tables were turned, and people were blindly buying BlackBerry products, would these people be called "sheep" too?

Before Apple made it into the mainstream (a dream of every manufacturer), their dedicated users were called "sheep" (iSheep). These dedicated users are simply happy customers. Companies have to earn "sheep status" and that is done by making products people want.

Right now, BlackBerry's brand is almost forgotten and is now in the background. Even powerhouse Microsoft is having a problem reviving their Windows brand through Windows 8 which is performing worst than Vista. Obviously Microsoft's "sheep army" which was over 500 million strong is not much of a factor.

As I said many times before, BlackBerry needed a breakthrough software package to compete with Office, iWorks and Google Docs. Apple proved that just being compatible wasn't enough.

Innovators lead.
    Not follow.

Consumers follow innovators.
    04-04-13 11:53 AM