IoT might be worth billions and maybe BlackBerry has a few products that will offer a secure means of communications... well the Smartphone market was worth billions too, and how much of that has BlackBerry gotten a part of? And they basically created it.
    That's a very good observation.

Too bad Chen's not listening.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 08:09 PM
    BlackBerry got the first couple billion (when that was considered a lot of money) ...Curious, am I the only one that considers their pivot pretty impressive?

Classically Posted.
    zyben likes this.
    07-24-15 08:34 PM
    BlackBerry got the first couple billion (when that was considered a lot of money) ...Curious, am I the only one that considers their pivot pretty impressive?

Classically Posted.
    Which pivot are you referring to?
    07-24-15 08:45 PM
    Which pivot are you referring to?
    Softtware...SaaS, Secure Comms.

Classically Posted.
    07-24-15 09:16 PM
    Softtware...SaaS, Secure Comms.

Classically Posted.
    Hi Shane

Well, theoretically there is a lot of upside, but as it stands now, all that stuff is vapour ware, at least for me.

We have no idea how the different markets will react to BlackBerry's software offerings.
    We have no idea if they'll make consumer offerings, no idea what the whole IoT will mean for BlackBerry.
    Secure Comms are great and I am a huge fan, but how will they sell that? And again the questions if consumers will get some of these offerings.
    Then we have the general problem that BlackBerry software releases, especially early ones, are incredibly bad.
    Not to forget, vapour ware.

The pieces of the puzzle are there, but if Chen can construe the intended picture with his pieces, is something I wonder...
    Even more so, because basically nobody has an idea how the picture should even look like.
    It's not as if Chen is a well of wisdom who shares his plans with investors/shareholders. The only thing you'll always here is "we're working on something".
    At some point, that's simply not enough.
    07-25-15 07:04 AM
    Not really. Just because the hardware business whithered away doesn't mean that they are suddenly a great software company. They aren't among the top ten names in IoT or healthcare IT. QNX has not been leveraged into anything else, rather, it's a very effective host for Apple and Android to enter the vehicle infotainment market.
    crackberry_geek and techvisor like this.
    07-25-15 11:15 AM
    Not really. Just because the hardware business whithered away doesn't mean that they are suddenly a great software company. They aren't among the top ten names in IoT or healthcare IT. QNX has not been leveraged into anything else, rather, it's a very effective host for Apple and Android to enter the vehicle infotainment market.
    I agree with this. I also think it's funny blackberry said it is all about security when the jeep got hacked the day after the security conference, and the medical device demo was just weak. The demo used a device hooked up to wifi on wep which hopefully isn't true of the industry since it is known that protocol is easy as pie to crack. It all seemed to contrived to just make a point that IOT is not yet secure which is true but they basically stated the obvious.

If they really want to make a bang, they need to partner with organizations at defcon, sponsoring research exc if they haven't already. I think most of the people there probably think blackberry is this white collar company that only Focuses In mdm security which is peanuts if you can just hack the email servers directly through a web portal or some other less secure vector. I also think I heard that qnx is so 'secure' because the infotainment is separated from the vehicle critical systems. Obviously that might be true for the 100% qnx but for the jeep it wasn't and so what if qnx isn't entirely to blame... The name is still associated with it. They're basically going to be like google where 'stock' android is a lot better but since people can overlay their own infotainment, the qnx brand will get tainted with all the varying levels of quality from different implementations. Maybe it's a good thing people don't actively say android auto and CarPlay run on top of qnx.

Anyway, I'm just venting. I could see blackberry as a leader in software security in general but they're going to need more than a doc sharing platform and security alert service.
    07-26-15 08:35 AM
    Not really. Just because the hardware business whithered away doesn't mean that they are suddenly a great software company.
    Excellent and succinct point.

The gang who accept that BlackBerry should just toss hardware aside... because they can't compete with Apple and Samsung... yet somehow they can magically compete against Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Apple in software... just baffles me... walking away just scratching my head...

...and that is obviously what investors think too... BBRY down approx 30% in the last 90 days, during the period Chen has been most vocal about making such plans painfully obvious.

BlackBerry Board - WAKE UP!!!

This guy is NOT the saviour!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and chenageddon like this.
    07-26-15 12:27 PM
    Wow, stock up 5.9%!!!
    deadcowboy likes this.
    07-28-15 11:55 AM
    Wow, stock up 5.9%!!!
    Yeah, I wish I had bought yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    07-28-15 01:16 PM
    Yeah, I wish I had bought yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    Me too
    07-28-15 02:12 PM
    You could very well be saying that again tomorrow....

BlackBerry is a very risky investment at certain levels.... but right now it is a "fairly" safe bet.
    07-28-15 03:20 PM
    They haven't released a decent phone in a while.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 08:29 PM
    They haven't released a decent phone in a while.

Posted via CB10
    It depends on what your likes and needs are..... some will tell you the LEAP is a great phone, some will tell you the Classic is a great phone, some say that last years Passport is a great phone, some even think the 2-Year old Z30 is a great phone.

Of course that "some" is around .02% of the buyers of smartphones.....

What they haven't done is release a competitive phone with access to the features that users today want.... for almost 5 years now.
    08-03-15 10:47 AM
    And continuous reminders by "fans" on "fan sites" contribute to the propagation of the myth that the new BlackBerry devices are sub par.

Truth is BlackBerry devices are superior in many ways.

Classically Posted.
    08-03-15 10:56 AM
    And continuous reminders by "fans" on "fan sites" contribute to the propagation of the myth that the new BlackBerry devices are sub par.

Truth is BlackBerry devices are superior in many ways.

Classically Posted.
    Doesn't matter at all what's said on fansites. In relation to the overall market, fansites are a drop in the ocean.

It's the overall market who decides whether or not Blackberry devices are up to par.
    08-03-15 03:01 PM
    That's BS, a significant percentage of folks research purchases online before deciding on whatever purchase they are making. Samsung and Apple have both ADMITTED to paying trolls to defame other brands on all kinds of social and product review media.

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    08-03-15 03:22 PM
    That's BS, a significant percentage of folks research purchases online before deciding on whatever purchase they are making. Samsung and Apple have both ADMITTED to paying trolls to defame other brands on all kinds of social and product review media.

Classically Posted.

So these people smart enough to do their own research on a product aren't smart enough to see what's good about BlackBerry phones? They only see the bad? I think for the majority of people the pros of a BB don't outweigh the cons. The phones aren't inherently bad. They just don't deliver what the majority of the market want.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-03-15 05:52 PM
    Yes it is abundantly clear that there are some paid bashers here on Crackberry.
    If it is so clear then can you please explain who is paying the bashers?
    08-03-15 11:53 PM
    This may be one example,
    Attachment 365251
    you could probability think of a couple of other suspects yourself if you tried. The point is that this kind of thing goes on all the time. When you see the number of posts that some people are making here, it's clear to me. If you don't see it, well to each his own.
    Posted via CB10
    You could be right but I have my doubts there are paid bashers on CB. I find it unlikely BB would be targeted because marketshare is small (except QNX). Who really knows though.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-04-15 02:25 AM
    You could be right but I have my doubts there are paid bashers on CB. I find it unlikely BB would be targeted because marketshare is small (except QNX). Who really knows though.
    There is no reason to doubt... BlackBerry's marketshare and BBRY's valuation can only be explained by a few posters on CrackBerry pushing everyone away from the platform by spreading FUD.
    08-04-15 07:30 AM
    There is no reason to doubt... BlackBerry's marketshare and BBRY's valuation can only be explained by a few posters on CrackBerry pushing everyone away from the platform by spreading FUD.
    Exactly... the arrogance astounds me of some folks here who think they are important enough for Apple or Samsung to care about their drivel.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-04-15 08:40 AM
    50 cent club...or worse, doing it for free lol.

Classically Posted.
    08-04-15 10:22 AM
    Exactly... the arrogance astounds me of some folks here who think they are important enough for Apple or Samsung to care about their drivel.

Posted via CB10

BlackBerry Stock Price-mirror-09.jpg

Classically Posted.
    08-04-15 11:09 AM
    This sounds like the kind of negative BS that a paid basher or a BlackBerry shorter might post. Unless you just really hate BlackBerry and have nothing better to do with your life.

Posted via CB10
    Or... a user dedicated solely to BlackBerry devices for almost 15 years... having used only 1 other device for about 3 weeks during that period.

And one who is so frustrated by BlackBerry making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again, that he's simply OVER it now. Still using BlackBerry Z30... but unless something drastically changes by year's end, it will be my last. And that is primarily Chen's fault.

Frustrated? You bet!

And a little befuddled how folks could still be claiming such critics are somehow NOT BlackBerry faithful... all while giving BlackBerry a complete pass on ignoring the wealth of information they could gleam on these forums... and on top of that claiming the competition is here paying attention to us (while not even BlackBerry does that?)...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    08-04-15 11:56 AM
82 1234