And, betcha, that's what Prem's investment was all about, whether you're talking about the attempt to take it private or injecting cash via the debentures deal...

:-)

Long-term...

•   Chendroid or not? - That is the question...   •
    Prem's investment was about the same as most everyone else's at that time. Smartphones were HUGE and BlackBerry was still a pretty big player.... all they had to do was get the new OS release and they'd be back at $50 a share. He wasn't planning some long term play.

I don't think Prem really understood the business or the level of incompetence within the company. He gambled on what should have been a pretty good bet, and he lost.....

Maybe BlackBerry is sold and he breaks even, maybe in five years they are a small software company that's worth $16 a share and he get his money back... either way he has tied up a lot of his resources with no real gain (if not a small loss).
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-09-15 08:12 AM
    The typical short sighted view....as usual.
    07-09-15 10:20 AM
    The typical short sighted view....as usual.
    Possibly....
    07-09-15 11:45 AM
    It socks to be a Bbry investor.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 09:38 AM
    It socks to be a Bbry investor.

Posted via CB10
    But yeah it isn't good that the rest of the market is going up today, and BlackBerry isn't.

Only 18 more months to go....
    07-10-15 11:33 AM
    Another 52 week low just printed, cannot watch

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 12:36 PM
    Another buying opportunity.

That's one nice thing about BBRY, if you missed out on an earlier buying opportunity, there's already going to be another.
    07-10-15 02:15 PM
    I just called my broker--for real--and she said the firm recommends /not/ buying the stock. They think it's going down to 6. I said there were all sorts of buyout rumors, and she still didn't like the idea. Of course, she didn't want to buy it when it was 10 something, so I guess she was right.
    07-10-15 02:37 PM
    I just called my broker--for real--and she said the firm recommends /not/ buying the stock. They think it's going down to 6. I said there were all sorts of buyout rumors, and she still didn't like the idea. Of course, she didn't want to buy it when it was 10 something, so I guess she was right.
    Your Broker isn't emotionally attached to BlackBerry like many here are. And she isn't seeing the potential gain vs the risk that once existed with BBRY. Brokers don't usually play the long shots....
    app_Developer and m1a1mg like this.
    07-10-15 03:03 PM
    Prem's investment was about the same as most everyone else's at that time. Smartphones were HUGE and BlackBerry was still a pretty big player.... all they had to do was get the new OS release and they'd be back at $50 a share. He wasn't planning some long term play.

I don't think Prem really understood the business or the level of incompetence within the company. He gambled on what should have been a pretty good bet, and he lost.....

Maybe BlackBerry is sold and he breaks even, maybe in five years they are a small software company that's worth $16 a share and he get his money back... either way he has tied up a lot of his resources with no real gain (if not a small loss).
    Prem Watsa is often called "Canada's Warren Buffet". Now, what's Buffet's strategy?

Look for value (for him not in the tech sector!) and potential growth, then buy and HOLD...

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-15-15 05:09 PM
    Prem Watsa is often called "Canada's Warren Buffet". Now, what's Buffet's strategy?

Look for value (for him not in the tech sector!) and potential growth, then buy and HOLD...
    Two big differences between Buffett and Watsa:

1. Buffett only invests in businesses which he completely understands. That's why he avoided tech even when tech was making others a lot of money.

2. Buffett is very emotionally detached. Watsa has made several comments which make me believe he invested so much in BB at least in part because of his national pride. He seems a more emotionally driven investor than Buffett. Not that people can't be successful being emotional, but Buffett isn't that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-15-15 05:45 PM
    Another point on the Buffett comparison: I can't think of a case where Buffett invested in a company that was winding down or losing its primary business and trying to spin up new businesses to replace it. He doesn't buy into transformations generally (at least until they've proven the transformation is actually working)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-15-15 05:49 PM

•   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   •

Sorry but Watsa made a mistake.... the collapse of BlackBerry shares seemed like a knee jerk reaction to many of, they were still selling devcies and they had a plan. A little stabilization get the new products to market and they'd be back to $100 a share. He didn't understand the mobile market, and what he really didn't understand was that BlackBerry didn't understand it either.... but that is why you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Sorry but I doubt he'll ever "make money" on BlackBerry.... if you figure out how much he has invested, and what the returns would have been had that money been invested in other areas. He'd really need to get out of BlackBerry for $22 or $23 a share to make this a positive investment. And I doubt that a $2 Billion a year software company is going to see that level for a while. And each year the target for a "return" will go up another 15%. And that is IF they can stablize revenues and IF they come up with some new product.

He made a mistake.
    07-16-15 07:51 AM
    Good lord, bbry is at 7.52 right now.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 09:16 AM
    Everyone is used to Bbry dropping 1% to 2% and making new lows these days.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 09:28 AM
    Everyone is used to Bbry dropping 1% to 2% and making new lows these days.

Posted via CB10
    But someone puts a halfway "credible" rumor out that Google is buying them... and it'll be back up.

But from just a business standpoint, I think the honeymoon is over for Chen. His talking about projects isn't going to work anymore, he has to show investors that BlackBerry has some viable product that will create revenues. IoT might be worth billions and maybe BlackBerry has a few products that will offer a secure means of communications... well the Smartphone market was worth billions too, and how much of that has BlackBerry gotten a part of? And they basically created it.

But while I don't think it's game over for BlackBerry... I would be very concerned about this next quarter. I can't imagine these Android Rumors are going to help BB10 Device sales or BES licensing, so I can see things getting worse for a little while. But as the time for an announcement comes for the Slider... there maybe some betting that a switch to Android would be a very good thing....
    07-24-15 09:43 AM
    With today's SP, Samsung 7.5B offer back in January looks pretty good. Wondering if JC or the board would reject such offer if presented today.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 09:56 AM
    Wow, BBRY down 4.2%, what the heck is going on?
    07-24-15 10:24 AM
    7.24 now. Investors do not like the Athoc buy.
    07-24-15 10:28 AM
    With today's SP, Samsung 7.5B offer back in January looks pretty good. Wondering if JC or the board would reject such offer if presented today.

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't that just a rumor that both BlackBerry and Samsung denied?

Would they go for it.... really depends on what is REALLY going on. Are they about to release a Medical, Automotive or IoT product(s) with potential revenues that could see $1 Billion dollars in a yeas time - or at least offer some amount of revenue growth? Then I'd say no they wouldn't sell.

Now if they are in fact on a sinking ship, and the $3 Billion Cash and the Patent life boats really aren't big enough for everyone... then selling could very well be on the table. Cause this talk of getting value for investors... could just be the used car salesman coming out of Chen.

But simply there is NO WAY for us to know what the value of BlackBerry is today.... but my guess is it is far less than it was two years ago. Which seems to be what investors are afraid of, and Chen hasn't done much to reassure them.
    07-24-15 10:33 AM
    It looks like a gold miner- having a good value but not knowing where it will go.
    07-24-15 10:41 AM
    The market is now start to discount what Chen says - yesterday we were six months away from the date he set for his turnaround to be complete - that is now another 12-18 months away according to an interview he gave.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    07-24-15 11:58 AM
    Methinks we could use a TA chart to help us make sense of this.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-24-15 07:41 PM
    All he has to do is announce that he's looking at buyout opportunities and the stock will go up 15%.
    07-24-15 07:57 PM
    god Chen keeps opening his mouth...

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    07-24-15 08:06 PM
82 1234