If this phone had apps it would be a killer device.
    Agreed 110%. This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me how I'm liking my Z10.
    04-16-13 01:41 PM
    It could be on Automotive side with QNX...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:08 PM
    I just discovered the new BBM thread, where they discuss in an opinionated way, if they should open it up.

@Chicago777
    I guess If they developed all these awesome things, for the QNX car, then we can expect something out of it. The automotive market is very large, and an expensive one. If you sell QNX licences to them, it must make money.

@PantlessPenguin
    Same thing I tell people, if they are app junkies. I have to admit though, that I know a lot of people, who do not fall in that category. They are happy with Angry Birds and whatsApp.

@Jaybles:
    That is still a problem they have with their public image... Work issued BBRY devices.

@Apps
    If they have more apps that they can sell through BBRY world, then they generate more service revenue.

What BBRY could do here, would be to code more premium apps, with TAT (how are they called nowadays?) for exemple, and sell them through BBW. Since I am not a heavy app user, I do lack vision though, what apps could be monetized.

@QNX:
    Since WebOs, is now the greatest OS on earth in TV's, maybe BBRY should licence out QNX to TV makers. A standard for smart TV's is needed for a long time now.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 04-16-13 at 11:52 PM.
    04-16-13 09:51 PM
    @All
    Does anybody know, what Alicia Keyes is doing with her Creative Director Executive role, or why BBRY wanted her for their promo?

I know of course that she has many fans, and if even a little percentage, maybe even less, switches to BBRY, that would increase sales a lot.

But what I mean is, was that a pure marketing move, or did BBRY also decided to do it, because of the networking side of things.
    As in, Alicia Keys is a really important personality, in the international music business.
    And BBRY tries to sell content through BBW nowadays, namely music. Not around the globe, and I would fathom, not in a way where their contracts with content holders are even remotely as attractive as the deals Apple gets with iTunes, or Amazon gets with their Kindle/music selling business.

Is the goal, to get better deals with content providers through Alicia Keys?

Random thought: A better marketing move would be to get Psy, the Gangnam dancer in the boat.
    It would enrage Samsung, and BlackBerry just bought the best Trojan Horse ever.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:08 AM
    @All
    Does anybody know, what Alicia Keyes is doing with her Creative Director Executive role, or why BBRY wanted her for their promo?

I know of course that she has many fans, and if even a little percentage, maybe even less, switches to BBRY, that would increase sales a lot.

But what I mean is, was that a pure marketing move, or did BBRY also decided to do it, because of the networking side of things.
    As in, Alicia Keys is a really important personality, in the international music business.
    And BBRY tries to sell content through BBW nowadays, namely music. Not around the globe, and I would fathom, not in a way where their contracts with content holders are even remotely as attractive as the deals Apple gets with iTunes, or Amazon gets with their Kindle/music selling business.

Is the goal, to get better deals with content providers through Alicia Keys?

Random thought: A better marketing move would be to get Psy, the Gangnam dancer in the boat.
    It would enrage Samsung, and BlackBerry just bought the best Trojan Horse ever.

Posted via CB10
    Pure marketing. She is just paid to be an ambassador of the brand. And also gets prominence on BlackBerry world for her music.

BlackBerry get a lot of sponsorship out of the deal too. But yea its just a celebrity endorsement

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:01 AM
    Pure marketing. She is just paid to be an ambassador of the brand. And also gets prominence on BlackBerry world for her music.

BlackBerry get a lot of sponsorship out of the deal too. But yea its just a celebrity endorsement

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately she is attracting very very little attention from users or potential users as you can see from the number of responses. Money down the drain if you ask me.
    BlackBerry Service Revenue Solutions-img_00000911.png

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:07 AM
    Unfortunately she is attracting very very little attention from users or potential users as you can see from the number of responses. Money down the drain if you ask me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000911.png 
Views:	421 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	152335

Posted via CB10
    That's blackberry's twitter not hers. She has 12 million followers. But it's not just a twitter thing. It's product placement, sponsorship, advertising, appearances brand awareness etc. Her whole tour is sponsored by blackberry.

Blackberry's marketing department obviously think it's a good investment. It's common place to have celebrity endorsement these days.

Do you know how much "Money down the Drain" it actually is?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:39 AM
    That's blackberry's twitter not hers. She has 12 million followers. But it's not just a twitter thing. It's product placement, sponsorship, advertising, appearances brand awareness etc. Her whole tour is sponsored by blackberry.

Blackberry's marketing department obviously think it's a good investment. It's common place to have celebrity endorsement these days.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Facebook page actually but by comparison a question about track pads or trackballs or touch screens hit over 200 responses multiple times. It shows people don't really care about her.
    04-18-13 06:43 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000911.png 
Views:	421 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	152335

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree with you, that right now, it could bring a better ROI.

Posted via CB10
    Though I agree even more with that.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:48 AM
    Yes, Facebook page actually but by comparison a question about track pads or trackballs or touch screens hit over 200 responses multiple times. It shows people don't really care about her.
    Well it stands to reason the blackberry Facebook page will have more responses about blackberry products than a music link. They didn't bring in Alicia Keys to preach to the choir. But to promote the brand and attract new business through sponsorship and advertising.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:53 AM
    Well it stands to reason the blackberry Facebook page will have more responses about blackberry products than a music link. They didn't bring in Alicia Keys to preach to the choir. But to promote the brand and attract new business through sponsorship and advertising.

Posted via CB10
    All the celebrities using a BB in the past without sponsorship, for security, was far better advertising for them then her. Personally at the launch I had no idea who she was. She did more harm to the brand than advertising when she used her iphone to tweet instead of her Z10. Some still laugh at that.
    04-18-13 07:03 AM
    All the celebrities using a BB in the past without sponsorship, for security, was far better advertising for them then her. Personally at the launch I had no idea who she was. She did more harm to the brand than advertising when she used her iphone to tweet instead of her Z10. Some still laugh at that.
    Celebs are also humans, which means that, they, like 95% of the market, like to use their phones for entertainment purposes as well.
    It means that, these times will not come back.

The tweet story was abysmal though.

@all
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=796943

The Alicia Keys thread.
    I love it when people open up threads about things I am thinking right now.
    Same for the BBM thread.

Gotta love that community!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 07:08 AM
    Celebs are also humans, which means that, they, like 95% of the market, like to use their phones for entertainment purposes as well.
    It means that, these times will not come back.

The tweet story was abysmal though.

@all
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=796943

The Alicia Keys thread.
    I love it when people open up threads about things I am thinking right now.
    Same for the BBM thread.

Gotta love that community!!!

Posted via CB10
    Intention is one thing, outcome is another. I don't think it's paying off. I almost get the impression that she's using BlackBerry to promote her tour rather than the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 07:19 AM
    You think this is the first time blackberry have paid for celebrity endorsement?

The fact that you didn't know who she is just demonstrates that this particular marketing campaign is not targeted at you.

As for doing more harm than good. I really doubt it. Sure the Internet geeks had a laugh but blackberry have still got good press from it. (no such thing as bad publicity)

The sponsorship and brand awareness from the world tour and adverts makes it worthwhile for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 07:24 AM
    Intention is one thing, outcome is another. I don't think it's paying off. I almost get the impression that she's using BlackBerry to promote her tour rather than the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    Of course the money from blackberry is going on the tour. That's kinda how sponsorship works

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 07:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lmao right. See needs BBRY to promote her. I think the Alicia thing is weird too but I really don't think she needs promotion.
    04-18-13 07:37 AM
    Lmao right. See needs BBRY to promote her. I think the Alicia thing is weird too but I really don't think she needs promotion.
    Well if it wasn't for BB I wouldn't know who she was lol.
    04-18-13 07:40 AM
    I knew she was a singer but I'm on fire is the only thing I've ever heard from her.
    04-18-13 07:43 AM
    You don't seem to be the type to be up on your American hip-hop artists anyway :P.

It's not my genre either, but I had heard of her. I'm sure I've heard some of her music but just not realized it. Like if I'm channel surfing on the radio, or in the background at a store, played at a bar, etc. With BBRY selecting her as their creative director, it definitely shows which demographic they're targeting. The funny thing is that you and I are very different, but Alicia Keys doesn't exacty "speak" to either of us.

ETA: I would've liked to have seen a "creative director" position (if it even is a position within BBRY and not just for show) go to someone who has an actual track record at turning a brand image around. Someone who actually has the credentials and knowledge to undertake a task like that, not just a semi-familiar name.
    04-18-13 08:01 AM
    I've been listening to her since '00 or '01.

She is huge within the late teen, young adult demographic. I've been getting her music since her first record hit big.

http://www.mtv.com/artists/alicia-keys/biography

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and web99 like this.
    04-18-13 08:03 AM
    I've been listening to her since '00 or '01.

She is huge within the late teen, young adult demographic. I've been getting her music since her first record hit big.

Posted via CB10
    Wow I didn't realize she had been around that long. I was thinking mid-00s.
    04-18-13 08:06 AM

Her first Hit.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 08:10 AM

No, her earlier stuff was amazing because it was a unique blend of hip hop and classically trained piano.

She has moved away from her edgier works. More R&B now than urban hip hop.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 08:16 AM
    No, her earlier stuff was amazing because it was a unique blend of hip hop and classically trained piano.

She has moved away from her edgier works. More R&B now than urban hip hop.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I had no idea!
    04-18-13 08:24 AM
    I knew she was a singer but I'm on fire is the only thing I've ever heard from her.
    Hey at least she didn't ignore you and let you burn to death.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-18-13 08:28 AM
236 ... 678910