Source: Snowden Is BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY)'s Biggest Ally

When Obama won the U.S. presidency, it seemed the man could nearly walk on water. Now, he just continues to sink. And while Obamas (lack of) popularity is a battle hes losing on numerous fronts, Edward Snowden continues to bring the man down with weekly revelations. But when it comes to Snowden, Obamas bane is BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB)s boon. Quite simply, the NSA seems unable to crack BlackBerrys security and has found itself with a niche market to build on now that John Chen has taken over as BlackBerrys Executive Chair & CEO.

BlackBerry security.

Based on the revelations that German Chancellor Angela Merkels phone was being tapped by the NSA, at least until she switched to a BlackBerry Z10, the German government will no longer allow government employees to use iPhones. BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB) is the gold standard in security and while so far only Germany has adopted these measures, expect one or all of the these countries Russia, Mexico, Brazil, and France to look to Germanys decision.

The German government purchased nearly 40,000 secure BlackBerry Z10 smartphones a few months ago, including one for Merkel. eWeek reported that the Z10s in use by the German government included a Secusmart encryption engine installed via a micro SD card, that takes advantage of BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB)s Balance feature.

Secusmart CEO Hans-Christoph Quelle seems to know that he has a great product when combined with BlackBerrys Z10. Theoretically, it would take 149 billion years to crack this code based on todays technical standards, even with the use of special computers. The universe itself isnt even that old. Thatll definitely keep the USA busy for awhile, Quelle was quoted as saying recently.

Niche CEO John Chen

BlackBerry has enjoyed some recent success with the release and overwhelming uptake of BBM for both Android and iOS. Theyve even just recently begun to monetize the messaging platform. John Chen knows niche markets. When he took the reins as CEO of Sybase, he inherited a company that was hemorrhaging money, and failing to compete with Oracle Corporation (NYSE:ORCL) and International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM). Rather than try to compete, he focused on niche markets before selling the company for $5.8 billion.

Its conceivable that Chen will simply deemphasize BlackBerrys handset market and run with what is working security and BBM while looking at other areas to go forward to advance these recent gains.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-30-13 04:01 AM
    ever since they started to lose money i have always said they should ditch the hw industry and concentrate on their sw and security. even in this day in age nobody has come close to their mobile security.
    11-30-13 12:56 PM
    We need to quite talking about BlackBerry becoming a niche player... they are already a niche manufacture.

But I do think that for now they need to focus on providing what enterprise and government WANTS! If they can lock in that market for now, while building out BBM, then maybe they could release a "consumer" grade BB10 device later.

The problem is many of the things that consumers want to be efficient and productive, enterprise and government needs also. If BlackBerry can implement the use of APK files via BES10, with some form of BES10 Store that allows the installation of any APK via the corporate store. While locking out the installation or sideloading of any other apps for security reasons. I can see IT departments being sold on BlackBerry Security along with Andorid Apps.

Of course Samsung is working very hard to make this their niche Samsung Knox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-02-13 10:46 AM
    ever since they started to lose money i have always said they should ditch the hw industry and concentrate on their sw and security. even in this day in age nobody has come close to their mobile security.
    And what do you put this software on and what does it control.

They need something to sell and no one wants BB10 yet.

BYOD and it's lack of true security. Securing both ends of communications is the best way.

Selling secure hardware ran with the best backend software is the only way.

If they sell only software they will fail.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    GTiLeo and anon1727506 like this.
    12-02-13 02:15 PM
    Because they are doing well with that?

Sent from my gameboy color
    12-02-13 02:26 PM
    Because they are doing well with that?

No they aren't.... but the hardware - or at least a device running a BlackBerry OS is part of the security. BES10 does not make Android and iOS devices more secure than other MDM system do. Either BlackBerry makes hardware or the have someone else do it, it's apparent that no other manufacture is interested in licensing the software at this point.
    12-04-13 11:00 AM
    We need to quite talking about BlackBerry becoming a niche player... they are already a niche manufacture.

But I do think that for now they need to focus on providing what enterprise and government WANTS! If they can lock in that market for now, while building out BBM, then maybe they could release a "consumer" grade BB10 device later.

The problem is many of the things that consumers want to be efficient and productive, enterprise and government needs also. If BlackBerry can implement the use of APK files via BES10, with some form of BES10 Store that allows the installation of any APK via the corporate store. While locking out the installation or sideloading of any other apps for security reasons. I can see IT departments being sold on BlackBerry Security along with Andorid Apps.

Of course Samsung is working very hard to make this their niche Samsung Knox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have an opinion on this that I haven't heard voiced that much. Let me know what you think:

BlackBerry was first popular with business executives. It became a status symbol. Eventually, that translated into demand by normal consumers to buy BlackBerry devices. It was kind of an exclusive club so then everyone started to want one.

Then came iPhone and Android with all the apps that drew people away from BlackBerry. So now, iPhone and Android has become the norm. If everyone has one, it suddenly isn't as cool though...

So to me, ironically, it seems that in order for BlackBerry to come back in the consumer market, they should definitely focus on security and enterprise customers. Continue to make great devices (that still have appeal to consumers but also top notch for business/security) and get as many of those devices as they can into the hands of people at large respected companies and government.

They could still market a bit to consumers, but once a BlackBerry is again seen as kind of exclusive and rare to have, normal consumers will get curious and try them out again. When that happens, and consumers start to see the great features of BB10, then I could see BlackBerry making a larger comeback in the consumer market.

What happened to BlackBerry could happen to iPhone or Android, probably not as severely because I think they understand consumers better than BlackBerry did, but they could lose market-share quickly if their devices are seen as normal, boring, not cutting edge, or not an exclusive/cool thing to have.

Thoughts anyone??
    12-04-13 12:21 PM
    BlackBerry didn't become popular as a status symbol it was a unique market. The keyboard made communication efficient and the push email gave you email on mobile. Apple gave us web usage and games/apps/entertainment. Android is the low cost evolution. My guess is BlackBerry will be dead in the handsets, apple might become a niche player but largely decline into obscurity. Google/Android will be application platform. Whoever can make handsets cheapest will compete in hardware (samsung).

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 02:41 PM
    Exclusive and rare isn't why people bought BlackBerry devices....

It was because you could email on them and the battery lasted all day. Back then Palm was the main other competitor, with a few Windows Phones in the mix. But with those devices email was always delayed and battery life was terrible if you used the device a lot. PUSH Email made them the KING.... and then they sat back and slapped each other on the back and taught up their five year plan of how to keep Palm and Microsoft from taking over.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    12-04-13 02:52 PM
    And what do you put this software on and what does it control.

They need something to sell and no one wants BB10 yet.

BYOD and it's lack of true security. Securing both ends of communications is the best way.

Selling secure hardware ran with the best backend software is the only way.

If they sell only software they will fail.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    couldn't have said it better
    12-04-13 03:34 PM
    BlackBerry didn't become popular as a status symbol it was a unique market. The keyboard made communication efficient and the push email gave you email on mobile. Apple gave us web usage and games/apps/entertainment. Android is the low cost evolution. My guess is BlackBerry will be dead in the handsets, apple might become a niche player but largely decline into obscurity. Google/Android will be application platform. Whoever can make handsets cheapest will compete in hardware (samsung).

Posted via CB10
    Well looks like Kevin agrees with me that it was a kind of status symbol. LOL

Kevin Michaluk, founder of CrackBerry.com, a news site: BlackBerry was a darling of enterprise. If you had a BlackBerry you were an important person, as at that time a lot of people didn’t have a smartphone. It was almost a status symbol within the company. It was the most intuitive communication device. With that blinking red light, it had that addictive quality.
    The Rise and Fall of BlackBerry: An Oral History - Businessweek

But I agree, a unique market was most important. But definitely a status symbol in that if you had one, people assumed you were kind of an important professional or celebrity.
    12-05-13 04:50 PM
    ever since they started to lose money i have always said they should ditch the hw industry and concentrate on their sw and security.
    Concentrate on hardware, software, security, enterprise, and the intelligent consumer. Ditch the dumbass consumer market.
    12-05-13 05:40 PM
    Concentrate on hardware, software, security, enterprise, and the intelligent consumer. Ditch the dumbass consumer market.
    If you have a term like a dumbass consumer and segregate smart from dumb, if you were that kind of company you would fall flat on your face.

Are intelligent consumers businesses? I work for a top fortune 500 company and they just issued me and everyone else IPhones, not blackberry devices.

They seem to have lost (in your words) both inilgent and dumbass consumers.

I'm curious on what your basis is for what spectrum each consumer lays in?

anon1727506 likes this.
    12-05-13 06:36 PM
    If you have a term like a dumbass consumer and segregate smart from dumb, if you were that kind of company you would fall flat on your face.
    Not if enterprise is your primary focus and the intelligent consumer is supplemental. Who is the intelligent consumer? In the case of BlackBerry, the intelligent consumer is the one who comes to BlackBerry and stays with BlackBerry, not the one who doesn't come to BlackBerry or cries about it and leaves BlackBerry if/when it doesn't have Angry Bird or Netflicks. (Those are the aforementioned dumbass consumers).

Are intelligent consumers businesses? I work for a top fortune 500 company and they just issued me and everyone else IPhones, not blackberry devices.
    Most certainly not. Businesses are enterprise. If your company went from BlackBerry to ifone, it will eventually learn it made a mistake. (Anyway, I prefer Verizon FiOS to Comcast.)
    12-05-13 07:23 PM
    Not if enterprise is your primary focus and the intelligent consumer is supplemental. Who is the intelligent consumer? In the case of BlackBerry, the intelligent consumer is the one who comes to BlackBerry and stays with BlackBerry, not the one who doesn't come to BlackBerry or cries about it and leaves BlackBerry if/when it doesn't have Angry Bird or Netflicks. (Those are the aforementioned dumbass consumers).

Most certainly not. Businesses are enterprise. If your company went from BlackBerry to ifone, it will eventually learn it made a mistake. (Anyway, I prefer Verizon FiOS to Comcast.)
    Netflix and angry birds aren't available for bb10 and that hurt Alot of their loyal customers in thinking they were going to bring it to bb10. Heck we thought our playback would get the promised bb10 but that never happened.

Most that left bb left because they were to tired of waiting for what had come out.

I myself was a hard core blackberry person and then my 9900 broke. It was cheaper for me to get a friends used iPhone than replace mine.

Now that I switched I don't know how I did it. I'm a person that plays certain games but having my banking apps, home security apps, retirement 401k apps are a must have for me since I have them now.

As for liking fios, that's fine they won't be around for long after the deal we struck up with VZW awhile back.

12-05-13 07:31 PM
    But BYOD has messed that up.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-07-13 11:26 AM