Who bought one million BlackBerry 10 devices?

We posed that question here earlier this month following the announcement of the largest single handset purchase in BlackBerrys history, and answered it with a simple theory: An order so massive for new handsets running an unproven platform would never have been placed by a carrier. Only a big electronics distributor would take such a risk. One like Brightpoint, which has a longstanding relationship with BlackBerry, distributing its handsets throughout the world particularly in emerging markets like Malaysia.

Turns out that theory was accurate. The order was placed by a wireless distributor, but not by Brightpoint. Research house Detwiler Fenton reports that the mysterious established partner responsible for the order was Brightpoint rival Brightstar. And souces familiar with the deal have confirmed this to AllThingsD as well. Youve got the Bright part right, one source quiped. But youre a point off.

A couple of years ago, Nokia, RIM and Samsung made up over 80 percent of Brightstar revenues, with RIM potentially comprising nearly half of that, I believe, Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair told AllThingsD. So [this is] no surprise.

Sources declined to provide any detail on the BlackBerry-Brightstar deal, but Detwiler Fenton has an interesting theory about the rationale behind it. Brightstar handles most of Verizons big-box retail distribution, and this one million handset order could be part of the carriers plan to offload some BlackBerry inventory risk on third-party distributors.

Our checks indicate the order was from Brightstar, whom Verizon is relying upon to handle the big-box retail and dealer agent channels, Detwiler Fenton managing director Mark Gerber told AllThingsD. It suggests Verizon doesnt believe this will be a strong seller since it normally tries to allocate hot product on its own.

Given the reportedly underwhelming debut of the BlackBerry Z10 at AT&T and Best Buy this past weekend, pushing some risk off on Brightstar may have been a prudent strategy.

BlackBerry is set to report earnings before the market opens on Thursday, the same day that the Z10 debuts on Verizon.

BlackBerry and Brightstar both declined comment. Verizon did not respond to a request for comment.

BlackBerry's Million-Smartphone Mystery Partner Is Brightstar - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    03-25-13 12:41 PM
    So neither AT&T or Verizon did not buy a million phones. I am not sure this is good news.
    03-25-13 02:17 PM
    Seriously?! I bought my  from brightstar. That's some serious tilt on purchasing investment.
    But being the only official distributor in Malaysia and probably in some other countries, it came to no surprise if they really put this order out.
    Especially since this order doesn't categorized only on one model but a few other models throughout the year.
    But the faith they have in blackberry future is something to be commendable.
    Go brighstar.
    Kurt Fathul likes this.
    03-25-13 02:25 PM
    So neither AT&T or Verizon did not buy a million phones. I am not sure this is good news.
    Again, BBRY is a global company have been living off the non-US dollar. They don't need a crazy US launch to be successful...unless you live in the US and feel that it's the only country that drives all technology and deems a company dead or alive.

BBRY has love globally and at the end of the day, a million sold is a million sold...so it's a good thing.
    03-25-13 02:32 PM
    Actually, they do need a big US launch to be successful. Read about their business and you will see just how important that is to their survival. Today, they were downgraded by Goldman Sachs to a 20% probability of success with BB10...and the stock high was downgraded to 17 from 19...not good news, and that was based on the poor results from the US launch. Still a great product IMO, but it will be a long, arduous, uphill battle for BBRY.
    03-25-13 03:02 PM
    Again, BBRY is a global company have been living off the non-US dollar. They don't need a crazy US launch to be successful...unless you live in the US and feel that it's the only country that drives all technology and deems a company dead or alive.

BBRY has love globally and at the end of the day, a million sold is a million sold...so it's a good thing.
    Without a successful US launch, BB10 OS will be as successful as Symbian OS in 2013. The reason is really simple, most of the prominent apps development and investment are currently focused in the US. Without apps support, BB10 will never reach its inspiration to be the third mobile computing platform behind iOS and android.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-25-13 03:16 PM
    03-25-13 03:24 PM
    This is not good news! I just read this same thing over on TheVerge

Mystery BlackBerry partner behind million-device order said to be distributor Brightstar | The Verge
    any specific reason for this being not good news?
    03-25-13 03:34 PM
    Good question, how is this bad?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 03:49 PM
    Just more spinning...it's not bad...1,000,000 times better than no order in fact.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and dusdal like this.
    03-25-13 03:54 PM
    Without a successful US launch, BB10 OS will be as successful as Symbian OS in 2013. The reason is really simple, most of the prominent apps development and investment are currently focused in the US. Without apps support, BB10 will never reach its inspiration to be the third mobile computing platform behind iOS and android.
    No one is talking about apps here. Im talking only about the launch and the million purchased. If BBRY sells a million units, they SOLD a million units...and that's a good thing. Doesn't matter if its from a US carrier or Malaysian.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-25-13 04:28 PM
    US still 22% of total BB market share..US matters. Not only for revenue for stock price as US won't put more in BBRY until they see it
    03-25-13 04:32 PM
    US still 22% of total BB market share..US matters. Not only for revenue for stock price as US won't put more in BBRY until they see it
    same like play store?
    90% is crap (low or no quality apps) just higher in number.
    03-25-13 04:36 PM
    Isn't the us like 5% of blackberry market?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 04:41 PM
    any specific reason for this being not good news?
    Show that Verizon is lowering their risk of unsold units by buying from a third party supplier. Risk transference.

If Verizon had confidence in the ability to move units, they would buy and stock their own warehouses with Z10's.
    03-25-13 04:53 PM
    I am an American, but if you think BBRY can be successful without more than 5% of the US market you are not being realistic. BBRY needs US corporations, government and retails sales in order to be successful.

This is still not confirmed. The 1M order is not a bad thing. HOWEVER it is not particularly positive news, ESPECIALLY when viewed against the 8% stock price pop and speculation that came when it was announced. In fact, versus a single carrier, government or corporation placing an order for that, a major distributor taking a 1M order, perhaps over several quarters, is just a "so what \" moment. Not bad, but not nearly as good as what was circulated as happening. No wonder BBRY didn't give more details at the time.If they don't sell 10's of millions of z10's BBRY is in trouble, so this helps but doesn't give much clarity as to sales or BBRY's future.
    03-25-13 05:00 PM
    Who bought one million BlackBerry 10 devices?

We posed that question here earlier this month following the announcement of the largest single handset purchase in BlackBerry’s history, and answered it with a simple theory: An order so massive for new handsets running an unproven platform would never have been placed by a carrier. Only a big electronics distributor would take such a risk. One like Brightpoint, which has a longstanding relationship with BlackBerry, distributing its handsets throughout the world — particularly in emerging markets like Malaysia.

Turns out that theory was accurate. The order was placed by a wireless distributor, but not by Brightpoint. Research house Detwiler Fenton reports that the mysterious “established partner” responsible for the order was Brightpoint rival Brightstar. And souces familiar with the deal have confirmed this to AllThingsD as well. “You’ve got the ‘Bright’ part right,” one source quiped. “But you’re a point off.”

“A couple of years ago, Nokia, RIM and Samsung made up over 80 percent of Brightstar revenues, with RIM potentially comprising nearly half of that, I believe,” Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair told AllThingsD. “So [this is] no surprise.”

Sources declined to provide any detail on the BlackBerry-Brightstar deal, but Detwiler Fenton has an interesting theory about the rationale behind it. Brightstar handles most of Verizon’s big-box retail distribution, and this one million handset order could be part of the carrier’s plan to offload some BlackBerry inventory risk on third-party distributors.

“Our checks indicate the order was from Brightstar, whom Verizon is relying upon to handle the big-box retail and dealer agent channels,” Detwiler Fenton managing director Mark Gerber told AllThingsD. “It suggests Verizon doesn’t believe this will be a strong seller since it normally tries to allocate hot product on its own.”

Given the reportedly underwhelming debut of the BlackBerry Z10 at AT&T and Best Buy this past weekend, pushing some risk off on Brightstar may have been a prudent strategy.

BlackBerry is set to report earnings before the market opens on Thursday, the same day that the Z10 debuts on Verizon.

BlackBerry and Brightstar both declined comment. Verizon did not respond to a request for comment.

BlackBerry's Million-Smartphone Mystery Partner Is Brightstar - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

.....if this is for bigbox and third party I am assuming that this means not a VZW store but Walmart and Kiosks in the mall. This would be encouraging as I dont see huge sales coming from these locations.....so in essence they are looking at big sales from their stores and the small stuff (1,000,000 devices) being sold through smaller agents?
    My opinion only.
    03-25-13 05:10 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 05:11 PM
    I think BBRY makes up less than 5% of the US market but the percentage of BB revenue coming from the US is significantly higher. I don't have recent numbers at my finger tips but I believe in 2012 they were 20-25% of BBRY's total revenue and more than 3 times the UK and Canada combined. That may have changed as BBRY reorganized and their product mix changed and US sales plummeted. .
    03-25-13 05:12 PM
    1,000,000 of anything is not a bad thing, you people are nuts..... 1,000,000 at lets say $300 each is around $300,000,000.00 give or take based on the selling price and the deal in place, but i mean 300million dollars from one customer is not bad.. I don't care how you spin it.... Blackebrry 10 will be successful, bottom line.. I mean a few years ago before the launch and during the launch of os7, blackberry was supposedly gonna be backrupt and out of business before 2012, it is 2013 and even the worse article isn't talking about the death of their phone, just that it cant compete. they never mention the OS in a bad way, only that the phone has sorry specs. Just chill man, blackberry will be just fine... JUST FINE!!!!
    03-25-13 05:28 PM
    I agree with you but don't forget profit margin . we are surely not talking about 300 millions in profit here.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 05:50 PM
    No one is talking about apps here. Im talking only about the launch and the million purchased. If BBRY sells a million units, they SOLD a million units...and that's a good thing. Doesn't matter if its from a US carrier or Malaysian.
    I wish BBRY management don't see the same way you did. A million ordered is good, but if there is no traction in the market place, eventually those stock will be returned or cut down. Case in point, Playbook's initial order was quite encouraging but a lot of stock eventually got returned back to RIM and RIM had to do a 1.2 Billion write-offs. Back to the point, apps helps the platform to grow. With no apps, the platform will be as good as the old BB OS, and the sale will just be like the last 3 years.

BTW, can anyone recall any quote of good large sale order made when Playbook launched?
    03-25-13 09:06 PM