Without a trackball or a way to move the cursor around, the Q10, for me, is not going to be worth it.

I find it very difficult to move the cursor to correct sentences, especially if you are trying to get to the first character on a line.

So, i'll take the larger screen and the flick typing.

Posted via CB10
    Very true that's my biggest issue with a all touchscreen!
    04-17-13 07:41 PM
    There are a significant number of current BB users that want a device with a smaller screen and a track pad. ( or a longer device and a trackpad). I say that if it would sell - build it. Regardless the screen should be 720 X720 for all of the BB classic models. In the alternative, update the current slider to accommodate BB10 and a trackpad. That would still be a fairly small screen device though and must meet one of the two screen resolution standards. Lastly, they could just keep of building and selling BB7 devices with a trackpad until the carriers refuse to stock them.

Personally I want a Q10+ with no trackpad and a 3.5 inch screen.

The bottom line is - if you want a QWERTY - with or without a trackpad - BB is the only game in town.
    04-18-13 09:38 AM
    I'm really quite shocked at the number of folks who are waiting for the Q10.

The Corporate customers are expected, as they are more email centric and therefore are more prone to the physical keyboard. However, consumers have pretty much settled the issue with respect to the keyboard issue and have overwhelmingly bought the trade-off between the larger screen with a virtual keyboard, something Apple figured out some time ago and BBerry only recently embraced.

The fact that many can't seem to get over this need for keys is troubling for the future of BBerry, as it's pretty much a given that smartphones of the future will not have a keyboard. Given this, the Z10 has to be the anchor device for BBerry to survive.
    Why is this bad news they don't care what phone they sell just that they do good there are a million other phones if you want all touch blackberry customers in big numbers want a keyboard so I say give us what we want I want a physical qwerty long as rim makes money and can stay in business is a GOOD thing
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-18-13 07:40 PM
    So they should. Its a much better built and designed, versatile device. It also looks much more classy and unique, better representing what BB is all about. Once the Q10 is out history should put the Z10 in the bottom draw. Copying Apple- BlackBerry is better than that, so embarrassing.
    There are many devices that look similar, but they are alwaysdifferent in many ways, the z10 looks much more classy and professional, what did you want? A round long touchscreen phone? A triangle? There's only so many things you can implement into an all touchscreen phone to make it stand out. Without a case on it the z10 is pretty different from the rest, you can tell, the BlackBerry sign is on the back and front, the top and bottom soft curves also add a nice touch. No way this 4.2 inch screen is going to be at the bottom, not by a long shot.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-18-13 08:56 PM
    Without a trackball or a way to move the cursor around, the Q10, for me, is not going to be worth it.

I find it very difficult to move the cursor to correct sentences, especially if you are trying to get to the first character on a line.

So, i'll take the larger screen and the flick typing.

Posted via CB10
    i don't know if alot of flks have noticed but once you have the magnifier on you can shift through the letters by tapping the side you want it to move, i've never has an issue editing my text i have more of an issue copying and pasting without the actual BlackBerry button. in some ways i would like to see the way the playbook is done when it comes to highlighting text where it pulls up a copy/cut/select all option, it could even be on the right hand side the way it normally does it but the way it is done now is difficult
    04-18-13 09:05 PM
    yeah I love the z10 but the Q10 is going to blow the doors off of it in sales.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    04-19-13 01:52 AM
    yeah I love the z10 but the Q10 is going to blow the doors off of it in sales.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting , we will see shortly. Trouble is that the screen is still too small to get back many of those who defected to the Iphone 3 and 4. If they would have just made a 3.5 inch screen their sales would be have been at least 25% better ( just an opinion- no facts to draw on).
    04-19-13 09:08 AM
    Interesting , we will see shortly. Trouble is that the screen is still too small to get back many of those who defected to the Iphone 3 and 4. If they would have just made a 3.5 inch screen their sales would be have been at least 25% better ( just an opinion- no facts to draw on).
    Agree...maybe next year or the nexts model.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 04-19-13 at 10:38 AM.
    04-19-13 09:23 AM
    If this is true, its GREAT news for the "new" BlackBerry devices as a whole, the Q10 and Z10 alike. After using a "small" screen for 6 years with my previous Blackberry devices it would be very hard for ME to go back even though I like the idea of a physical keypad. I used to hear about screen real estate, now I know what that really means. I'm going to stick with MY Z10, but will definitely take a look at the Q10
    04-19-13 09:31 AM
    lol the screen layout will still be the same the main difference is less scrolling up and down, for me persoanlly its a dead issue if i was in the market for a QWERTY the Q10 is my choice i opted for a Z10 because i can type on anything so the larger screen is easier for me to look at blueprints or specs for work as well as turning the Z10 sideways for gaming makes for an enjoyable experiance, where the Q10 is more business then pleasure/business.

i still in some ways miss the feel of a BB physical keyboard though, there really is nothing like that typing experience
    04-19-13 01:10 PM
    Maybe. But my gut feeling is there are a LOT of BB fans that have been fence sitting waiting for the Q10. If nothing else they want to try it before settling on the Z10, or moving on.
    04-20-13 12:09 PM
    Maybe. But my gut feeling is there are a LOT of BB fans that have been fence sitting waiting for the Q10. If nothing else they want to try it before settling on the Z10, or moving on.
    Perhaps but I think that the take up will be a lot slower than Crackberry posters would like. I saw a Curve in the wild today and my thoughts were that Curve users have a paid for device and might move on to another cheap device when it breaks. BB7 fans seem to be pretty content bunch or they would have ditched their BB's for Iphones or cheap substitutes long ago. Basically BB7 users are not into their phones to the extent that they feel the need to replace a working Keyboard device for another. I think I am pretty typical - own a 9900 but I am still under contract and while I would like a Q10, my out of pocket costs are $385 just to extend the contract another three years including the trade in value of my 9900.
    04-21-13 07:08 PM
    Sometimes you DO need some "balance" Nothing but sugar will rot your teeth!

And nothing but poison will kill you.

...besides the q10 is more native to the blackberry legacy, a lot of people are afraid of Change.

Despite some people who seem sure that the only reason people prefer a device like the Q10 is because they are "afraid of change", there are some very valid reasons for preferring that sort of form factor for lots of people.

One of the reasons I moved from the Palm platform I had used for years to Blackberry is because of the hardware keyboard and the "never rotate" form-factor that made one-handed and/or blind typing way easier than other designs.

I bought a Z10 the day they were available here and I have tried very hard to get used to typing on a glass screen, but the simple fact is that for someone who types 90-100 wpm on a full-size keyboard, and who has always found hardware smartphone keyboards superior for text input, I simply cannot make the Z10 - even with its highly-praised on-screen keyboard - work very well for me.

I'm sure it's good for "hunt and peck" sorts of typists but perhaps I just have higher expectations. There are also a whole slew of problems with the UI on the current OS releases, from horrible text-editing/cursor-positioning mechanisms, to poorly thought-out and inconsistent keyboard implementation (onscreen keyboard covers up things you need to see in order to know what to enter in text fields, keyboard or editing tools don't popup when you need them, keyboard or editing tools pop up and get in the way when you don't need them, bla bla bla), etc etc.

As much as I would like the larger screen real-estate, when you consider the fact that the on-screen keyboard basically negates the screen-size advantage of the Z10 over the Q10 when entering text because it covers half the screen, there really are some potentially significant benefits to a device like the Q10 for someone like myself.

And while I think the keyboard shortcuts they have implemented on the Q10 are certainly helpful, the laggy and mis-key-prone phone BB10 phone app and crummy cursor-positioning tools (my ICS Android device is way superior in that regard and I'm not holding my breath that incremental improvements in 10.1 will solve this), I'm not entirely sure I'm not going to miss the dedicated phone keys and the trackpad either.

I guess I'll just have to try it out when I can get my hands on one. I will certainly pay a high price for switching, since I will probably not get anywhere near the money for my used Z10 that a new off-contract Q10 will cost me.
    04-24-13 06:55 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    super excited to be getting the Q10 next week! … i am a super fast typer and this iconic Blackberry phone will rock!!! …

with a Z10
    Tokyo and Toronto
    04-24-13 08:11 PM
64 123