This is great to see. I just wondered if anyone has any idea if there's much excitement for the Q10 in the US and Canada? This was in the Uk, which has always been relatively strong for BlackBerry (go UK!) and the carriers in the UK are also pushing the Z10 much much harder than those in the US from what i've read from American BB fans; we've seen a lot of TV ads, print media, BB experience tours, dedicated stands in stores, carrier staff who have been well trained on the device etc. So does anyone think the story may be a little different in America, or are there a lot of hardcore BB fans there waiting for the Q as well?
    04-15-13 07:12 PM
    All, before we all get excited about these sales, remember that Thorsen Heins indicated that the q10 would represent a smaller portion of device sales as they expected more users to adopt the full touch screen device.

So it begs the question, if the Q10 is exceeding Z10 sales (pre-orders), then the Z10 isn't doing as well (relative to the company's expectations).
    04-15-13 07:42 PM
    All, before we all get excited about these sales, remember that Thorsen Heins indicated that the q10 would represent a smaller portion of device sales as they expected more users to adopt the full touch screen device.

So it begs the question, if the Q10 is exceeding Z10 sales (pre-orders), then the Z10 isn't doing as well (relative to the company's expectations).
    TH said that before the Z10 officially launched...so it could mean he was just guessing this to be true or their data sample expectation were exceeded or they misjudged just how large the demand for the Q would be.

The company has stated several times the Z sales are exceeding expectations so I don't think it's "Under Performing" sales wise concerning them.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:51 PM

This sounds like one of those crap "Analyst" statments trying to spin positive into negative.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    04-15-13 07:55 PM
    Well first off TH stated z10 sales beat expectations for initial sales in most markets UK, Canada etc. maybe
    Just maybe they under estimated Q10 initial sales!! Q10 sales may be fast and furious to start and slow quicker
    than z10 sales, who knows for sure? Either way I think we'll all be happy after Q1 ER reports

Shanerredflag and tygros like this.
    04-15-13 07:59 PM

You have to remember that most of the Z10 preorder period in the UK occurred before the BlackBerry 10 unveiling. While you could preorder the Z10 before the January 30 launch event, there was comparatively little information about the Z10 or the BB10 operating system. Now the Z10 has been out for a while in the UK and potential buyers have a much better idea of what BB10 can do, and are interested in that operating system with a QWERTY keyboard.
    04-15-13 08:04 PM
    I like how the q10 looks, keyboard also looks nice, but it's the z10 All the way,keyboard is killer, screen is killer, much rather have a full touch screen, love me some good screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 08:07 PM
    Really liking that white Q10!!!
    04-15-13 08:21 PM

Why do people always have to be negative...

How about the Z10 has met expectations (whuch has been said many times) and the Q10 is exceeding expectations by a long shot? Why is that not a possible option?

Posted via CB10
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    04-15-13 11:29 PM
    Why do people always have to be negative...

How about the Z10 has met expectations (whuch has been said many times) and the Q10 is exceeding expectations by a long shot? Why is that not a possible option?

Posted via CB10
    I agree, besides the q10 is more native to the blackberry legacy, a lot of people are afraid of Change.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 11:54 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    love the Z10 but also getting the Q10!! ... just want the best ... lol ... both in this case!
    04-16-13 03:53 AM
    This sounds like one of those crap "Analyst" statments trying to spin positive into negative.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    Sometimes you DO need some "balance" Nothing but sugar will rot your teeth!

I have little doubt that many were holding out for the keyboard version. I can remember a time when Blackberry users were proclaiming how they "would NEVER give up their keyboard" and now it seems many decided to adapt!

The Q10 will sell good but time will tell how well and not predictions!
    04-16-13 05:11 AM
    The Q10 will be the only model, in the entire mobile landscape, to have a modern OS and a usable hardware keyboard.

Consumers decided pretty much against sliders, like OG Motorola Droid, back in the day. I love my Torch, and would have loved a BB10 slider, but right now I am so happy with my Z10, that I will not go back. The Q10 will be bought though.

So in reality, everyone who wants a keyboard, but would have never touched the legacy OS, now has an incentive to buy a BlackBerry. It will be really interesting to see, how many people fall in that category.

The Z10 is the device that is for everybody else, as it has the touchscreen. Only by saying that, we know that the potential market, for devices like the Z10 is bigger than for the Q10. The R10 could become a real hit in emerging markets though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 04-16-13 at 09:01 AM.
    04-16-13 06:19 AM
    The more OS10 users out there is fantastic. It means BlackBerry can bring us features and bug fixes and carriers can get more experiences supporting their customers on BlackBerry Z10s and Q10.

Win, win IMO

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-16-13 08:05 AM
    The Q10 will be the only model, in the entire mobile landscape, to have a modern OS and a usable hardware keyboard.

Consumers decided pretty much against sliders, like OG Motorola Droid, back in the day. I love my Torch, and would have loved a BB10 slider, but right now I am so happy with my Z10, that I will not go back. The Q10 will be bought though.

So in reality, everyone who wants a keyboard, but would have never touched the legacy OS, now has an incentive to buy a BlackBerry. It will be really interesting to see, how many people fall in that category.

The Z10 is the device that is for everybody else. Only by saying that we know that the potential market, for devices like the Z10 is bigger than for Q10. The R10 could become a real hit in emerging markets though.

Posted via CB10
    I think the R models would be popular everywhere where $ is a concern and features are not - for example with businesses , prepaid phones (UK) and those who want a free phone on a contract. They do need a touch R model though and hopefully at the same time as the Qwerty.
    For India etc they will have new BB7 models. I think that BB's strategy for the USA and Canada is to go premium models. Might work, not sure.
    04-16-13 08:28 AM
    Guys,
    The good news with BlackBerry is that you get a choice. There is no question a physical keyboard feels better than typing on glass, especially when you are in a train or a passenger on a golf cart. However, the cost of real estate is real as well. BlackBerry listened to us and is providing both.
    The higher res screen, is for those that would rather consume media and the Z10 is beautiful (I got one) but the larger, longer battery and physical keyboard on the Q10 is for the no nonsense BlackBerry users that have other priorities. Neither is better for all. The better is in the choice we have. A media focused device that has a larger and higher resolution screen than the iPhone that allows you to buy movies, shows, magazines, etc, etc. and a faithful work horse with a larger battery and less battery sucking screen with a physical keyboard for all those awesome shortcuts we love (speed dial is the feature I'll use the most, just like with my Bold) but now I also get an AWESOME camera and over 100k apps at launch.

It is easy for me because I have two phones and one is a Z10, the other will soon be a Q10.

Finally! BlackBerry, you sure kept me waiting but it has been worth it.
    04-16-13 08:59 AM
    I think the R models would be popular everywhere where $ is a concern and features are not - for example with businesses , prepaid phones (UK) and those who want a free phone on a contract. They do need a touch R model though and hopefully at the same time as the Qwerty.
    For India etc they will have new BB7 models. I think that BB's strategy for the USA and Canada is to go premium models. Might work, not sure.
    The european market, is a lot more cost concious, than the american counterpart.
    That shows in the iPhone sales statistics.

Therefore I absolutely agree with you, that the R10, or the touch counterpart, will be a hit everywhere where $ is a concern.

On the other hand, everybody who wants to own a Q10, will get one. It is one of these devices.
    Metaphorically, if you have the money, why should you buy a Porsche Cayman, if you WANT a Porsche Carrera 911 instead?

I think that is also why they will have enough success with the Q10.

But premium devices are not an option, for mass adoption.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-16-13 09:16 AM
    Good news and not at all suprising .. This is the device for the hardcore bb user.. Battery life.. Email and touch typing .. I want it now to replace my 9900 ... Media consumption can be done on my PlayBook or my z10... The q10 will be a modern, high end business workhorse that I have no doubt will become the darling of the business world
    04-16-13 10:11 AM
    "How is this troubling for BlackBerry if they offer the best of both? Millions of people just refuse to type on glass. Would you replace your desktop keyboard with a piece of glass? No way!"

It's troubling because the consumer market dwarfs the Corporate market by a wide margin and as the iPhone fully proved, it's where the real volumes are. Then one must consider if consumer trends will affect the Corporate marketspace and one can argue with BYOD, this is already well underway.

So, if BBerry is to be a significant participant in the smartphone market, it needs to have a killer all-touch device or end up as a small niche player.
    Bbnivende and Omnitech like this.
    04-17-13 08:56 AM
    I wonder how many of those 76 million users are typing on physical keyboards? A lot I would expect and it would not surprise me to see a fair number of those going to the Q10, although admittedly this will be limited by the price of the phone. I think if you have been using the physical keyboard all along you would just naturally be inclined to get the same. The Z10, on the other hand is intended to bring over Apple and Android touch Screen users and those that like new technology.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling and Bbnivende like this.
    04-17-13 12:03 PM
    It's troubling because the consumer market dwarfs the Corporate market by a wide margin and as the iPhone fully proved, it's where the real volumes are. Then one must consider if consumer trends will affect the Corporate marketspace and one can argue with BYOD, this is already well underway.

So, if BBerry is to be a significant participant in the smartphone market, it needs to have a killer all-touch device or end up as a small niche player.
    No BlackBerry needs to sell a lot of phones period to be successful. Doesn't matter which one. This isn't Apple, no one "Needs" anything. Same argument could be said that everyone needs a keypad when BB was chiming in or the people needed buttons on a phone. Look where we are now touch screen. Room for everything my friend.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-17-13 01:42 PM
    No BlackBerry needs to sell a lot of phones period to be successful. Doesn't matter which one. This isn't Apple, no one "Needs" anything. Same argument could be said that everyone needs a keypad when BB was chiming in or the people needed buttons on a phone. Look where we are now touch screen. Room for everything my friend.
    With all due respect.....I must disagree.
    04-17-13 01:55 PM
    With all due respect.....I must disagree.
    And this is what differentiates between success and failure. No sense of how a business works. I'm almost inclined not to even try to explain why it doesn't matter from a business standpoint and going forward because I just feel like I'm talking to the average consumer who has no idea what numbers mean.

The success of BlackBerry does not rely on any one model. The success comes from regaining market share as a whole. BlackBerry needs to get as many BB10 devices in the hands of consumers and business customers as soon as possible. Why? Numbers Speak Why? Development comes with numbers Why? Because that is all anyone cares about right now from any stand point. Considering BB10 is going to be all touch regardless of a keypad or not it doesn't matter which one they sell.

There will always and has always been a preference for a QWERTY keyboard phone by some individuals. Stop thinking like an iSheep and think like a business executive. Sales of a ton of Q10 would mean that much more market share kept or gained from competition. Developers would swarm in if they see that BB10 in general is growing market share. Which in turn brings in more of these high demand applications, which in turn makes the device a better device (yes applications do indeed help the platform in the eyes of a consumer). Will consumers set the trend? Who cares what the trend is if you are selling phones and growing market share. Not only that, BB is selling PREMIUM devices. This isn't you $50 Nokia phone. This is huge margin phones. The success of the platform comes from the success of all their products.

What BlackBerry needs is to grow market share right now and appear popular so developers will develop. Without that they will always have a tough time winning the consumers over from Apple and Android. Whether they grow by Q10 or Z10 it doesn't matter. Numbers speak in business and always will. If the Samsung launched a Galaxy S3 QWERTY in theory and it did extremely well, who does that directly affect. Competition.

Also, who is to say the Z10 isn't already a success. Relative to the Torch 9800/9810/9850/9860 i'm sure the Z10 has sold miles ahead. That is alraedy a success in the eyes of Blackberry because they are actually selling an all touch phone well.

Also, with the Q10 as a success you will get people who are "forced" to get the Q10 for a work device and that gets them exposed to this new OS and new BlackBerry. That is a marketing benefit as a whole because once people realize oh hey this BlackBerry isn't like every other BlackBerry that spreads. BlackBerry may finally get rid of that negative image of being a ****ty blackberry for work. It may end up being this great device now for people who are issued a corporate q10 and that will spread.

Every single person I know who has switched hated BB before, it was not until they truly used the device from a work experience where they swapped their personal devices. That is exactly what BB needs.
    Last edited by gohan_bcc; 04-17-13 at 04:59 PM.
    MarsupilamiX and hpjrt like this.
    04-17-13 04:45 PM
    So they should. Its a much better built and designed, versatile device. It also looks much more classy and unique, better representing what BB is all about. Once the Q10 is out history should put the Z10 in the bottom draw. Copying Apple- BlackBerry is better than that, so embarrassing.
    04-17-13 07:27 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Just pre-ordered the Q10 on Rogers! will have both the Z10 and the Q10 !!! .... best of both worlds! .....one will have local simm here in Japan and the other the Canadian Sim ..
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-17-13 07:31 PM
64 123