Of course not. I know BB10 is a very good product but it really has come out with a "wow-factor" product to stay competitive.
    It did for me. iOS was not a wow factor.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 03:00 PM
    If they aimed for that from the start I wouldn't be here

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I did not mean anything against touchscreen "Z" phones. I am using a Z10 myself, but since the topic is about the "wow factor" I feel blackberry has its roots in qwerty phones and there is a big market out there for it and less competition !
    01-07-14 03:32 PM
    IMHO, it won't suffice for BlackBerry to just be good or be catching up with the competition, but it has to come out with something that's a first of its kind in the market. Apple came out with the fingerprint scanner and the 64bit something , Samsung is coming out with the "curved" phone and just recently another phone said it will be launching a phone with "mega storage.

So people, what possible "first of its kind" can BlackBerry do that will wow the market?
    Agree, even when is useless... A lot of consumers are atracted by those "features" even when useless, atract a lot of consumers, and blackberry is desperate for consumers, so it has to play that "grey game" for a while.

The finger print scanner actualy is usefull for those that type a password every time they use the phone... But samsung's "Air Gestures" and "Group play" are just feature that nobody would use... Why would you want to move a entire arm, when you can do with a finger? Why would you want to make more phones play the same song at the same time? 1 phone speaker is bad, 3 or 4 at the same time is 3x or 4x worse. Can't stand going in the bus or underground with selfish teenagers listening to music without headphones.
    01-07-14 03:37 PM
    Picture password is pretty damn secure. I test it by giving it to someone without knowing what they should do.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 04:33 PM
    Picture password is pretty damn secure. I test it by giving it to someone without knowing what they should do.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    The Picture Password was buggy on my previous OS leak; maybe I should give it try again on this new leaked OS 10.2.1.1925.
    01-07-14 05:30 PM
    Agree, even when is useless... A lot of consumers are atracted by those "features" even when useless, atract a lot of consumers, and blackberry is desperate for consumers, so it has to play that "grey game" for a while.

The finger print scanner actualy is usefull for those that type a password every time they use the phone... But samsung's "Air Gestures" and "Group play" are just feature that nobody would use... Why would you want to move a entire arm, when you can do with a finger? Why would you want to make more phones play the same song at the same time? 1 phone speaker is bad, 3 or 4 at the same time is 3x or 4x worse. Can't stand going in the bus or underground with selfish teenagers listening to music without headphones.
    Lol. Its crazy but some of these gimmicks sell phones.
    01-07-14 05:33 PM
    The Picture Password was buggy on my previous OS leak; maybe I should give it try again on this new leaked OS 10.2.1.1925.
    Yea it was buggy. It still bugs sometime but 95% of the time it works great.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 06:13 PM
    I agree with you except that Apple wasn't the first to introduce fingerprint scanner on a mobile device. Anyone remembers the Motorola Atrix?

IMHO, it won't suffice for BlackBerry to just be good or be catching up with the competition, but it has to come out with something that's a first of its kind in the market. Apple came out with the fingerprint scanner and the 64bit something , Samsung is coming out with the "curved" phone and just recently another phone said it will be launching a phone with "mega storage.

So people, what possible "first of its kind" can BlackBerry do that will wow the market?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:18 PM
    I agree with you except that Apple wasn't the first to introduce fingerprint scanner on a mobile device. Anyone remembers the Motorola Atrix?

Posted via CB10
    You may be right but the media credits Apple for the fingerprint scanner. So the general perception out there is that Apple was the first. Good luck to anybody who wants to try to change that.
    01-07-14 07:26 PM
    Of course not. I know BB10 is a very good product but it really has come out with a "wow-factor" product to stay competitive.
    This pretty much sums it up. BB10 has some really good features, however it doesn't pack anything that'll cause consumers (majority of consumers) to do a double take.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-07-14 07:27 PM
    Phone hardware is quickly becoming transparent with each other. I believe it is all about the operating system and BlackBerry has laid the foundation with BB10 to really be the Kick *** phone to beat. It's about the software!

Posted via CB10

Software is indeed critical. On smartphones it is called apps, not the OS. And it is arguably BB's biggest shortcoming and problem.

I generally agree with the OP. Apple's big new thing was the smartphone without keys a decent browser and so forth. That's why they are where they are today. Something like a 7 day or even 3 day battery would really get the attention of a reasonable market segment.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-07-14 07:38 PM
    Software is indeed critical. On smartphones it is called apps, not the OS. And it is arguably BB's biggest shortcoming and problem.

I generally agree with the OP. Apple's big new thing was the smartphone without keys a decent browser and so forth. That's why they are where they are today. Something like a 7 day or even 3 day battery would really get the attention of a reasonable market segment.
    Battery that will last 3 to maybe 7 days would be sooooo good! What a dream.
    01-07-14 07:44 PM
    What BlackBerry needs to do when they come up with newer phone models: name them as "BBM phones" and not "BlackBerry this or BlackBerry that" because whenever someone hears the word "BlackBerry", they get stirred away.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:53 PM
    Chen is pragmatic, BB with 4k employees worldwide can only keep the wheels turning, for now.
    GadgetTravel and JeepBB like this.
    01-07-14 09:27 PM
    Chen is pragmatic, BB with 4k employees worldwide can only keep the wheels turning, for now.
    How many are they now ? Below 7k?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 09:51 PM
    That's a very good point.
    01-07-14 10:03 PM
    How many are they now ? Below 7k?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    When the dust settles, 4-5k
    01-08-14 09:02 PM
    In the UK on the BBC website the headline was all about the fingerprint scanner, it doesn't necessarily matter what it does, if it is the first to do something it gets headlines - headlines helps sell anyhting. Being in the press for a positive reason is something that BlackBerry desperately need.
    The headlines were about the fingerprint reader (not a scanner) because it worked!

Over a decade ago, Apple realized that software in the electronics industry was horrible. And since they have been designing input mechanisms for decades, they felt they could change the world. They did it with out of the box thinking like a click wheel (iPod), and a touch screen (iPhone/iPad). They also set trends (and now they control the trends) by eliminating things like memory expandability in their professional desktop computer. BlackBerry waits for the tech to be developed first (usually by chip makers, etc) then they try to solve (or make up) problems with the now existing tech. Apple acknowledges the problem first, then solves the problem by creating the tech that is needed.

BlackBerry's problem is they are still thinking inside their little phone box. The phone problem has been solved and they need to move on beyond their own little world which they can't seem to do. The device called a telephone is being made obsolete every day just as typewriters and adding machines were. The "mobile phone" is now a pocket computer, while the phone part is just an app. And with wifi being more and more ubiquitous, the telecoms are afraid of being shut out. BlackBerry is still kissing the telecom's butts.

If BlackBerry plan is to go after the commercial industry, where is their "Mac Pro" solution? Why didn't they come out with something like this? Oh, they only make phones.

Technology is a moving target, and now we know why Research In Motion changed their name.
    iamagod likes this.
    01-09-14 09:23 AM
    Powerful BB10 portrait slider large-screen high-resolution phablet with trackpad and hard buttons. Cut no corners, take no prisoners, try not to drown in all the money.

This pretty much sums it up. BB10 has some really good features, however it doesn't pack anything that'll cause consumers (majority of consumers) to do a double take.
    I think BlackBerry needs to take the "to hell with consumers" approach to the wall. Stop catering to consumers... but... of course consumers will WANT what they produce solely for enterprise, because there is a lot of crossover: but BlackBerry can't for one more moment be concerned about "consumers" any more: just do their gosh darn no-holding-back best for enterprise and the consumers will be AWED.
    iamagod likes this.
    01-09-14 09:29 AM
    Powerful BB10 portrait slider large-screen high-resolution phablet with trackpad and hard buttons. Cut no corners, take no prisoners, try not to drown in all the money.

I think BlackBerry needs to take the "to hell with consumers" approach to the wall. Stop catering to consumers... but... of course consumers will WANT what they produce solely for enterprise, because there is a lot of crossover: but BlackBerry can't for one more moment be concerned about "consumers" any more: just do their gosh darn no-holding-back best for enterprise and the consumers will be AWED.
    Respectfully, I don't know if I buy that philosophy or attitude. BlackBerry will not survive with a take it or leave it attitude because BBRY can't operate in a bubble.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-09-14 10:14 AM
    I just think BlackBerry still does not understand the market is changing very quickly.

BlackBerry always seems to be late in every innovation.

BBM to the desktop or laptop would show the full potential of BBM.

There are still more partnership deals to be done in relation to the quality of the camera lens - Leica, Panasonic etc. ,

I just don't think BlackBerry are working hard enough to attract new customers : business or otherwise.

Tell me Mr Chen, why should I have/buy a BlackBerry?

BlackBerry...Get it done!!!!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-09-14 10:38 AM
    I just think BlackBerry still does not understand the market is changing very quickly.

BlackBerry always seems to be late in every innovation.

BBM to the desktop or laptop would show the full potential of BBM.

There are still more partnership deals to be done in relation to the quality of the camera lens - Leica, Panasonic etc. ,

I just don't think BlackBerry are working hard enough to attract new customers : business or otherwise.

Tell me Mr Chen, why should I have/buy a BlackBerry?

BlackBerry...Get it done!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree with you. I think that is very overdue.
    01-09-14 11:01 AM
    Making a phone that can be used for an extremely long amount of time would be amazing for BlackBerry. There's nothing more annoying to users than having to constantly be charging their phone. Unfortunately batteries have seen the slowest progress when compared to other technology. So this is a very hard area to excel in.

- Developer of PinGuin
    01-10-14 10:40 AM
    I think if BB made a BB10 high end slider, with top specs and an awesome camera, that phone could get them back in the game. Like sliders or not, it is different than the majority of the competition and has the best of both worlds, touch and keyboard.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    01-16-14 12:13 PM
    If they could produce a slider that had good screen space. Atleast the size of the z10 with a slick and small contour sliding keyboards that wasn't traditional but something cool then i think it could do well

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 08:35 PM
64 123