You are completely correct. I sense that the shorts have extremely deep pockets considering they have been able to ride out the share price increase from $10+. Would love to hear from others on reasons they think short interest has increased so much. It is quite honestly something I've never seen before.
    I think it is a straight bet against the company. The shorts believe that nothing has changed and that BB10 does nothing to improve their competitiveness.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 10:14 PM
    Even some anaylyst from BNN and other sources can not explain the BB's short interest. Now it is at point that SeekingAlpha asked/wrote few times to cover now but nothing changed. I wish some hedgie reads this and explain any reason for this. The other technical reason could be control long shares for any future takeover bids or competition. It is possible that Google/Samsung/Apple might have gave billions of $s to hedgies to short/invest in BB and these hedgies shorted the stock so they make money if BB fails and lose few billions as insurance if BB succeeds. Basically, for them few billions of invesment in the competition as insurance like MS loaned $300 mil to apple in 90s.
    03-18-13 12:19 AM
    In three days, things will start to get interesting.... I wonder when the next margin call will be?
    03-20-13 12:35 AM
    In three days, things will start to get interesting.... I wonder when the next margin call will be?
    I don't expect it to get REALLY interesting until after the 28th. I'm pretty much all in right now.
    03-20-13 01:03 AM
    I can see some more negative spin doctor articles like the one about BlackBerry not meeting the UK government's secure standard. As a last kick at the can to try and get the share price down somehow. But time is going to run out quick for those left hold the short straw.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 01:20 AM
    I can see some more negative spin doctor articles like the one about BlackBerry not meeting the UK government's secure standard. As a last kick at the can to try and get the share price down somehow. But time is going to run out quick for those left hold the short straw.
    Posted via CB10
    Time is definitely running out, especially with the upgrades coming out now...
    StreetInsider.com - BlackBerry (BBRY) Gets Another Bull; Morgan Stanley Raises Two-Notches to Overweight
    03-20-13 06:30 AM
    I think Morgan Stanley is a firm people will pay attention to and believe. This is very good news.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 11:02 AM
    That's their "hail mary" ( not meeting CESG standard ) along with the horrible cnn review plus some stupid articles from Motley Fools. Again the bashing continues.. And no matter how hard they try today, it seems like the MS upgrade could not derail the upward movement.

Now if we can convince a few more brokers to switch sides, plus a licensing announcement with Lenovo or ??, that would cause a lot of sleepless nights for the shorts, forcing them to cover as we head towards the ER..

Time is definitely running out, especially with the upgrades coming out now...
    StreetInsider.com - BlackBerry (BBRY) Gets Another Bull; Morgan Stanley Raises Two-Notches to Overweight
    03-20-13 01:41 PM
    Then I read this article where James Faucette insists BlackBerry is still not going anywhere. Looking at the stock price he doesn't seem to have many believers.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 02:41 PM
    Faucette is a paid for lobbyist for big hedge funds...he's a man without morals or character...sad part is he's playing with others money.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-20-13 02:55 PM
    I can see some more negative spin doctor articles like the one about BlackBerry not meeting the UK government's secure standard.
    Read Crackberry blog posts from today. That article about "failing UK security tests" was so wrong the Guardian pulled it.
    03-20-13 03:48 PM
    Also read Chris Umiastowski's excellent post about why so many people looked through their mental fun-house mirror and spun the recent Gartner report in the most negative direction possible.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-20-13 03:49 PM
    I really don't expect one... ER report would literally have to be balls to the walls for that to happen.

Prediction. 20+ Dollar stock by June.
    03-20-13 05:31 PM
    I really don't expect one... ER report would literally have to be balls to the walls for that to happen.

Prediction. 20+ Dollar stock by June.
    I see it happening before the end of May....
    03-20-13 10:14 PM
    I see it happening before the end of May....
    All depends on the cash position at the upcoming ER.
    03-20-13 10:17 PM
    All depends on the cash position at the upcoming ER.
    Of course. But I think even if it dips after the ER, it will recover well soon. The launch of the Q10 will also be an important factor.
    03-20-13 10:32 PM
    ... I'm a-scared to go back in right now.... Anyone invested is probably not getting very restfull sleep right now....
    03-21-13 01:14 AM
    ... I'm a-scared to go back in right now.... Anyone invested is probably not getting very restfull sleep right now....
    Sleeping like a baby...
    03-21-13 01:47 AM
    Read Crackberry blog posts from today. That article about "failing UK security tests" was so wrong the Guardian pulled it.
    Yeah I had a feeling there were gaps large enough to float an aircraft carrier through that story. But now a really lie filled piece is up on mashable. They just getting awful in the lie spinning now.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 02:11 AM
    Yeah I had a feeling there were gaps large enough to float an aircraft carrier through that story. But now a really lie filled piece is up on mashable. They just getting awful in the lie spinning now.
    If you're talking about the one whose URL ends in "/blackberry-military-iphone/", I don't know if I'd characterize that as "lie filled".

What apparently happened when the sequester kicked-in was Blackberry got caught-out w/ the DoD because the Z10 wasn't available yet when they started the testing for a new generation of mobile devices. So while Blackberry did join the process that had previously been going on w/ Android and iOS devices, the department no longer had the funds to pay for BBRY's late entry when the sequester hit.

BUT: that's not necessarily the end of the world since BBRY could conceivably help out with part of that funding, or if that was seen as prejudicial to the results, do some sort of "loan" or something.

The main problem is I don't believe there have been any official statements from the DoD on that yet. But the framework of those claims has been around for at least a few days before that article was published.
    03-21-13 03:37 AM
    No worries here...I don't even have stops in place...
    cjcampbell and Bugmapper like this.
    03-21-13 07:41 AM
    DoD denied the story. there is a thread about this.
    03-21-13 02:36 PM
    DoD denied the story. there is a thread about this.
    Link would be great. This has been generating a LOT of heat.
    03-21-13 03:37 PM
    Link would be great. This has been generating a LOT of heat.
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...on-blackberry/

http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/b...d=tc_home_art&

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Umedon; 03-21-13 at 07:22 PM.
    03-21-13 03:46 PM
    i think the smart shorts are already cutting thier losses, and the rest are waiting for the dip after earnings, when we will likely see a rapid drop, followed by sobriety and a strong rally if results are good.

right now is an iffy time to buy in, unless you intend to sell again before earnings, because a bad number or spin could take 20% out of BBRY in minutes
    03-21-13 03:48 PM
65 123