RIMM hit a 52 week low today (should this be a signature line?).

$12.52 right now, down 2.87%.
    It's more like a 350 week low. RIMM is trading at a price unseen since 2004 or so.
    12-20-11 01:15 PM
    Maybe $1 or something like that?

Listing requirements include
    minimum share prices, minimum sales levels, certain financial ratios, etc.
    If listing requirements are not met by a company, the exchange that lists it may issue a warning of non-compliance to the company.
    If the company's failure to meet listing requirements continues, the exchange could delist the company's stock.

The US Standards require
    1,100,000 outstanding public shares
    Market value of those shares to be 40 Million dollars ( RIM has 524M shares, so they can fall as low as $0.08cents each before share price forces delisting)

Aggregate Pre-tax income for the last 3 years of $10 Million
    Minimum in each of the 2 most recent years $2millions

I really don't think RIM has much to worry about in keeping those requirements from getting delisted,
    1812dave likes this.
    12-20-11 01:27 PM
    As others have pointed out, this is just people closing out losses at the end of the year. The price you pay for losing value all year long.

I can't see how $12 is at all rational in January. The company is worth more than that, especially if it splits up.
    12-20-11 01:45 PM
    As others have pointed out, this is just people closing out losses at the end of the year. The price you pay for losing value all year long.

I can't see how $12 is at all rational in January. The company is worth more than that, especially if it splits up.
    ah, it's called "perception", or fear. You can't think about the market in rational terms. think greed, fear, perception, but DON'T think "rational".
    12-20-11 01:50 PM
    ah, it's called "perception", or fear. You can't think about the market in rational terms. think greed, fear, perception, but DON'T think "rational".
    Well, if I drops into the $7-8 range, I would think someone will come along, put them down and split out the services and patents.
    12-20-11 02:17 PM
    RIMs stock has been going down since the earnings call.
    The market is up 337 points right now. RIM is down 2.87%. Yes, stocks do go up and down, and the market is often a large part of that.

Right now, RIM is going down regardless of the market being WAY up.

Thats......a real bad sign.
    12-20-11 03:20 PM
    The market is up 337 points right now. RIM is down 2.87%. Yes, stocks do go up and down, and the market is often a large part of that.

Right now, RIM is going down regardless of the market being WAY up.

Thats......a real bad sign.
    Exactly. I know it goes up and down. The thing is, RIM keeps going down. They were going down before the earnings call and they continue to go down after. When was the last time RIM has had a significant gain in share price? I seems like it just keeps getting significantly lower.
    minimac1 likes this.
    12-20-11 03:31 PM
    Bad news on top of bad. This title kinda shows how bad:
    Apple's App Store Now Worth More Than All of RIM - Yahoo! Finance
    12-20-11 03:56 PM
    Bad news on top of bad. This title kinda shows how bad:
    Apple's App Store Now Worth More Than All of RIM - Yahoo! Finance
    Why didn't they compare it to google instead?
    12-20-11 04:03 PM
    Sure, emotion drives markets in the near term, but sanity inevitably catches up.

RIM's ASSETS are worth more than its market cap right now. Forget where they're headed, RIGHT NOW they're worth more than the stock reflects.

Remember: no debt, and close to $1bln cash... A fair chunk of the Nortel patents that Google was prepared to spend billions on... And a brand that may have stumbled, but still carries a lot of weight.
    12-20-11 04:10 PM
    It's a pretty crappy article, but the headline is pretty sobering. They don't cite any figures for actual worth of Apple's app store; instead they throw out a guestimate of 2% of overall apple worth. It seems to be nothing more than speculation. But the headline does seem to capture the mood about it all falling apart.
    12-20-11 04:16 PM
    RIM's ASSETS are worth more than its market cap right now. Forget where they're headed...
    A fan can do that, a rational investor cannot.

House appraises at $1M. You can see the meteorite about to hit it. Will you pay $1M right now to take possession after the meteorite hits?

$10,000 crystal vase on the mantel. A ferret is trying to climb into it. Will you pay $10,000 for the future value of that vase?

$5,000 silk suit. Worn by a drunken man trying to change a flat tire by the side of the interstate on a rainy night. Would you expect it to be worth $5,000 tomorrow?

Calculating the value of the assets is EASY. Investing is about determining where those values are headed. Therefore you specifically CANNOT forget where they are headed.

An investor looks at RIMM and says "How much value have they added or destroyed in the past year. Are they going forward with that management or strategy, or changing? They are going forward with that management and strategy? It is rational to expect they will continue to destroy value. I price that into my offer."

Sure, emotion drives markets in the near term, but sanity inevitably catches up.
    Agreed. It is happening.
    Last edited by Palmless; 12-20-11 at 05:32 PM.
    12-20-11 04:32 PM

RIM's ASSETS are worth more than its market cap right now. Forget where they're headed, RIGHT NOW they're worth more than the stock reflects.

Remember: no debt, and close to $1bln cash... A fair chunk of the Nortel patents that Google was prepared to spend billions on... And a brand that may have stumbled, but still carries a lot of weight.
    Doesn't matter how BIG your ship is, if you are sailing at full speed towards an iceberg...

Stocks don't reflect a company's current condition, just where investors think it is heading. There have been a number of Articles on why many investors are not looking at the amount of CASH ON HAND or any of RIM's other ASSETS. RIM has been on a downward trend for a number of quarters. Projected out they will eventual start loosing money each quarter until there is no cash reserve. Of course that is IF nothing changes, which so far there aren't any signs that the Captains even see the iceberg.
    teknishun and propeller10 like this.
    12-20-11 04:43 PM

Best as I can see, the market is ALWAYS driven by emotion. Look at how the fear of what was going on in Greece recently sent stocks into a nosedive. A little while latter, as the skies "cleared", stocks came back up. It's always driven by fear and greed. I don't think "sanity" has anything to do with the overall market levels. of course there is the "sane" investor and professional fund managers, but I'm talking about this in the overall sense--fear and greed rule the day, on Wall Street, IMO.
    12-20-11 05:30 PM
    Well, after several lows, today RIMM is up a whopping 11% so far today!
    12-21-11 10:44 AM
    Well, after several lows, today RIMM is up a whopping 11% so far today!
    Yep. The market is signaling that a rumor of a takeover is better than next year's roadmap.

The gain will continue if talks of a sale progress, and pull back if nothing materializes.
    12-21-11 11:13 AM
    Yep. The market is signaling that a rumor of a takeover is better than next year's roadmap.

The gain will continue if talks of a sale progress, and pull back if nothing materializes.
    If a canadian company is taken over, those 17,000+ canadians could potentially lose their jobs. I doubt it'll happen that quickly.
    12-21-11 11:15 AM
    If a canadian company is taken over, those 17,000+ canadians could potentially lose their jobs. I doubt it'll happen that quickly.
    Well, years of horrid management has consequences. Now, the Canadian government could certainly step in to magnify the pain and spread it across more people, but that would not be wise.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...lation-680529/

Basically, RIMM becomes an organ donor. The cancer (Jim and Mike, aged product line, wrong-headed product roadmap) can't be cut out, but the healthy parts (IP, brand in the third-world, services) will provide value to someone.

Though it would not be wise for Canada to block a sale for political purposes, as it would only magnify and delay the pain, causing it to affect 10x17,000, I wouldn't put it past them because it would "look good".
    12-21-11 11:20 AM
    Bumping this one rather than starting a new thread.

The thread title is once again relevant today.

BBRY hit $6.25 some minutes ago, is that the lowest it ever got? Anyone know?
    11-18-13 09:40 AM
    Nah, I'm not concerned. Look at the other techy stocks, they're up and down too.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-13 09:48 AM
    Bumping this one rather than starting a new thread.

The thread title is once again relevant today.

BBRY hit $6.25 some minutes ago, is that the lowest it ever got? Anyone know?
    Not by a long shot. It was at $1.52 on 16 Sept 2002 after hitting a high for that period of about $25.00. For the sake of fairness though, after hitting it's historical high the lowest the stock traded prior to touching today's low was about $6.45 in Sept of last year.
    11-18-13 10:14 AM
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
    BergerKing likes this.
    11-18-13 10:38 AM
    if your 401k is depending on greece or the EURO i'd be moving that somewhere safer, that isn't going to correct itself, only get worse, greece doesn't want to be bailed out, in fact most countries are getting to the point where they realize the EURO was a mistake and want out, i doubt you'll see greece accept an offer. even after greece's inevitable default, or even a bailout, every country under the EURO will need a bailout very soon. buy gold folks. //sorry offtopic

now on-topic: according to what i can see, RIMM is currently at a 156 week low, if not all-time, i can only look back 3 years.
    Hahahahahaha
    11-18-13 12:21 PM
    Closed at $6.16...
    11-18-13 03:29 PM
    I remember when it dropped to $40 per share. Everybody on the forums were screaming "Now's the time to buy!"

First rule of buying stock... Never buy stock in a company you have a personal attachment to. If you follow this site religiously, you should never have invested.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Shlooky, techvisor, m1a1mg and 2 others like this.
    11-18-13 03:39 PM
420 ... 678910 ...