Any surprise to see RIMM hit a 52 week low today? Especially given how much the nasdaq is up this year. Hope the shorts and put owners cashed in, the ceo has certainly helped your cause.

While the owners of aapl continue to smile as they check their quotes
    11-01-11 11:13 PM
    The NASDAQ dropped 2.89% today, and every major player in the mobile device software world was affected as well. Just so you know, the 52-week low for RIMM was $19.00, which the price did hit today, but eventually settled at $19.30 (-4.46% change). So you're not exactly telling the whole picture.

And for the AAPL stock owners out there, though the price is currently $396.51, that's a 2.04% drop on the day and significantly lower than the 52-week high of $426.70. Let's not forget that this comes after the world was blessed with Siri.

Bottom line: yes, RIMM stock is looking really bad right now but you can't view it in isolation. The Stock Market in general is pretty beat up. (Just for completion sake, GOOG closed at $587.65 or -2.36%, MSFT closed at $25.99 or -2.40%, and HPQ closed at $25.64, or -3.65%.)
    11-01-11 11:36 PM
    The NASDAQ dropped 2.89% today, and every major player in the mobile device software world was affected as well. Just so you know, the 52-week low for RIMM was $19.00, which the price did hit today, but eventually settled at $19.30 (-4.46% change). So you're not exactly telling the whole picture.

And for the AAPL stock owners out there, though the price is currently $396.51, that's a 2.04% drop on the day and significantly lower than the 52-week high of $426.70. Let's not forget that this comes after the world was blessed with Siri.

Bottom line: yes, RIMM stock is looking really bad right now but you can't view it in isolation. The Stock Market in general is pretty beat up. (Just for completion sake, GOOG closed at $587.65 or -2.36%, MSFT closed at $25.99 or -2.40%, and HPQ closed at $25.64, or -3.65%.)
    It hit the 52 week low today like I posted. I did not say it closed at the 52 week low. The shorts had to cover after their good day and reload for tomorrow.

Why are you only talking about today? And not the 52 weeks in which the main competitors(caugh leaders) aapl and goog went up?

With aapl's massive cash flow and goog's future acquisiton of motorla mobility, things are looking great for RIMM.

And listing hpq is a joke. Why not compare rimm with the qqqq, oh wait, rimm is way, way down compared to an etf for the nasdaq.
    11-01-11 11:41 PM
    and my 401 took a beating today, thanks to that bozo in Greece!!
    11-01-11 11:57 PM
    and my 401 took a beating today, thanks to that bozo in Greece!!
    if your 401k is depending on greece or the EURO i'd be moving that somewhere safer, that isn't going to correct itself, only get worse, greece doesn't want to be bailed out, in fact most countries are getting to the point where they realize the EURO was a mistake and want out, i doubt you'll see greece accept an offer. even after greece's inevitable default, or even a bailout, every country under the EURO will need a bailout very soon. buy gold folks. //sorry offtopic

now on-topic: according to what i can see, RIMM is currently at a 156 week low, if not all-time, i can only look back 3 years.
    Last edited by katiepea; 11-02-11 at 05:14 AM.
    11-02-11 05:11 AM

The thread is called "Rimm hit a 52 week low today."

You can view RIMM's stock in isolation. Market conditions aren't the reason it's lost 86%.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    11-02-11 07:00 AM
    RIM stock falls below $20 a share - The Globe and Mail

There is more bad news here. Though the entire stock market is taking a beating, RIM needs to turn around its PR. There are analysts that look at news placements on a regular basis and sort them into "positive" and "negative" to determine which way momentum will go.

Unfortunately, RIM has had a long string of negative, and even the positive (new devices, OS7, upcoming BBX) have been framed in a negative.

The problem is that whether honest, balanced, or not, eventually the perception is the reality with both investors and consumers.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    11-02-11 07:11 AM
    RIM stock falls below $20 a share - The Globe and Mail

There is more bad news here. Though the entire stock market is taking a beating, RIM needs to turn around its PR. There are analysts that look at news placements on a regular basis and sort them into "positive" and "negative" to determine which way momentum will go.

Unfortunately, RIM has had a long string of negative, and even the positive (new devices, OS7, upcoming BBX) have been framed in a negative.

The problem is that whether honest, balanced, or not, eventually the perception is the reality with both investors and consumers.
    This is very true. RIM has (and slight exaggeration here) never had truly good press. They have had good announcements intersperced throughout, but thats it. It has been this way for many years. They need to change that immediately if they want to stay competitive.
    11-02-11 07:16 AM
    The market is very forward looking. Many claim 6 months.

Essentially, the market is not buying the QNX turnaround story. Frankly, from what I have seen from Playbook, Devcon and many broken promises, I can't make a case otherwise.
    11-02-11 07:25 AM

Umm, aapl is showing great relative strength against the broader market. It stands only 6% from its historic high. That is not "significantly lower" in a market you say is beat up.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    11-02-11 07:37 AM
    On Jun 16 2008, RIM was at $144 per share. On Feb 18 2011 they were at $70 per share. Not they are sub $20 per share. I don't care how you fanboys spin it, that is not good for the company, and definitely not good for the morale of any employees holding on to stock options. The market has seen the Playbook, has seen the DevCon presentation, has listened to the co-CEO's and their incoherent blathering and lies on conference calls, and has determined that they don't have much confidence in RIM. All you people saying its a great buy, put your money where your mouth is and load up on cheap shares and bet against the market. You may be right and make a ton of dough.
    11-02-11 08:49 AM
    The market is very forward looking. Many claim 6 months.

Essentially, the market is not buying the QNX turnaround story. Frankly, from what I have seen from Playbook, Devcon and many broken promises, I can't make a case otherwise.
    In fact the market is buying the QNX/BBX turnaround. But there isn't anything on the table yet for anybody to look at. Until RIM shows off a great phone and produces some positive press all there is is uncertainty. Wall St HATES uncertainty. Why would someone put their money at risk, RIM has to show us and money managers why.

As far as Apple goes...well some managers will keep Apple as the big name in the portfolio just because but the smart ones will get out. This time of year is where Funds reallocate and sell the losers. While Apple isn't going to zero it has reached a peak and would fall more than appreciate.

I would prefer RIM, Microsoft or Nokia. In terms of percentage you get better returens. Don't think Apple will hit $800 or split 2:1 and hit $400 again. Just my opinion
    11-02-11 09:01 AM
    In fact the market is buying the QNX/BBX turnaround. But there isn't anything on the table yet for anybody to look at. Until RIM shows off a great phone and produces some positive press all there is is uncertainty. Wall St HATES uncertainty. Why would someone put their money at risk, RIM has to show us and money managers why.

As far as Apple goes...well some managers will keep Apple as the big name in the portfolio just because but the smart ones will get out. This time of year is where Funds reallocate and sell the losers. While Apple isn't going to zero it has reached a peak and would fall more than appreciate.
    I would prefer RIM, Microsoft or Nokia. In terms of percentage you get better returens. Don't think Apple will hit $800 or split 2:1 and hit $400 again. Just my opinion
    1.) The market is not buying the QNX turnaround. The stock price is the lowest since 2004.

2.) I don't see the peak yet for Apple. Once a redesigned iphone 5 is released, the sky is the limit. It will draw existing loyal customers, but also many android users, a huge user base (here in us at least), because of the bigger screen. If in June-October they release the redesign with LTE radios, get ready to see the biggest launch in the history of a tech product.

3.) I see that the potential for buying low stocks is greater, but there is a reason its so low. Much greater risk.
    Last edited by brucep1; 11-02-11 at 09:14 AM. Reason: edited spacing
    11-02-11 09:13 AM
    I have to disagree..

IF the market, and for the sake of discussion lets look at analysts and investment managers, not individuals.

Analysts:
    the last 10 analyst moves have been downgrades... any belief in the story would have seen an upgrade..

Investment/institution managers
    IF they bought the QNX/BBX turnaround story then for sure the stock would be up.. stocks are purchased for the POTENTIAL to make money..not because the stock already has made money...

So with a low stock price and belief in the company story you would see volume purchases..its not happening ergo the story is not believed.

11-02-11 09:15 AM

The market isn't buying QNX and RIM's future, hence why RIMM continues to fall. If the market was buying into QNX, RIMM would be on the rise.

Funds and money managers always have their investments in flux. There is no 'selling season.' If they feel it is time to move, they move. This isn't Holiday shopping that we're talking about.

Tremendous opportunity still lies ahead for Apple: New overseas markets for the iPhone, the rapidly expanding tablet market amongst consumers, and the corporate/enterprise markets for both the iPad and iPhone. As the iPad continues its growth, and if Apple comes out with an Apple TV, they will also see ever increasing revenue streams from content delivery.

I have no illusions of Apple's stock doubling to $800, but they are still in a very strong position.
    1812dave likes this.
    11-02-11 10:24 AM
    Yeah, unfortunately RIMM is at a 7 year low at below $19 right now.
    11-02-11 10:39 AM
    Yeah, unfortunately RIMM is at a 7 year low at below $19 right now.
    Yes--and that indicates that average investors aren't stupid.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:42 AM
    Yes--and that indicates that average investors aren't stupid.
    Well, don't know if I would go quite that far...
    11-02-11 10:45 AM
    Well, don't know if I would go quite that far...
    LOL! good point.
    11-02-11 10:50 AM
    The market isn't buying QNX and RIM's future, hence why RIMM continues to fall. If the market was buying into QNX, RIMM would be on the rise.

Funds and money managers always have their investments in flux. There is no 'selling season.' If they feel it is time to move, they move. This isn't Holiday shopping that we're talking about.

Tremendous opportunity still lies ahead for Apple: New overseas markets for the iPhone, the rapidly expanding tablet market amongst consumers, and the corporate/enterprise markets for both the iPad and iPhone. As the iPad continues its growth, and if Apple comes out with an Apple TV, they will also see ever increasing revenue streams from content delivery.

I have no illusions of Apple's stock doubling to $800, but they are still in a very strong position.
    I agree about this QNX/BBX thing.
    I still do not understand why RIM didn't put a couple of mule devices (scaled down versions of the PB or whatever) in bullet proof glass at DevCon just to shut people a bit and tout them as future BBX phones. For some people seeing is believing.
    This Lumia Nokia thing is also partly to blame for RIM's woes. Nokia said they would bring WP7 devices and have duly delivered. RIM says they are plugging away at BBX and without prototypes at DevCon (as promised) noone believes them.
    11-02-11 10:59 AM
    I have to disagree..

IF the market, and for the sake of discussion lets look at analysts and investment managers, not individuals.

Analysts:
    the last 10 analyst moves have been downgrades... any belief in the story would have seen an upgrade..

Investment/institution managers
    IF they bought the QNX/BBX turnaround story then for sure the stock would be up.. stocks are purchased for the POTENTIAL to make money..not because the stock already has made money...

So with a low stock price and belief in the company story you would see volume purchases..its not happening ergo the story is not believed.

You know its possible to "buy into BBX" and yet keep a "sell" rating on the stock right.

Uncertainty, Management's Execution, Competitors and Economic Environment play a roll.

Besides day trading I wouldn't buy RIMM until ~spring, even though I like the prospects of BBX I wouldn't go and suggest anyone to start accumulating it NOW. You need to understand one thing... opportunity. Sure you can go ahead and buy RIMM today but there is better near term opportunity in the market, lots!

I can spell it out like this:
    RIM isn't finished its transition to BBX = sell
    RIM finished transition = accumulate
    Just because a company had a high stock at one point doesn't mean it will return.

Analysts hate competition and uncertainty.
    RIM has lots of competition and lots of uncertainty

Analysts will keep an eye on Apple so see just what affect Steve Jobs had on the company was. Any sign of uncertainty will unravel AAPL high stock price.

What's an iPhone 5???
    undone and recompile like this.
    11-02-11 11:00 AM
    You know its possible to "buy into BBX" and yet keep a "sell" rating on the stock right.
    I guess that depends on what "buy into BBX" really means. What is it that people are buying into?
    11-02-11 11:17 AM
    I guess that depends on what "buy into BBX" really means. What is it that people are buying into?
    hope?

a dark horse?

wishful thinking?

As I said on another thread, best technology doesn't guarantee great consumer acceptance. There's a need for good content (read: applications), and good marketing. Two things that RIM is in dire need of.
    11-02-11 11:42 AM
    ^^ The best question of all!

Buying into BBX means a fresh start for RIM with new technology and better developer relations/support.

I think Analysts see this but need to see these new phones. RIM can only work so fast but in the mean time all the negative press, which I think is over the top, takes its toll on consumers
    11-02-11 12:05 PM
    Perspective ...
    (original text in french at the bottom, this is google translated)

Oct. 28 (Reuters) - The global market for mobile phones grew by 12.8% in the third quarter, the second lowest growth rate in the past two years, due to consumer caution and a postponement of purchases of handsets, IDC revealed Friday.
    Strong demand for new models, and often less expensive in emerging markets has supported the global growth of the market and the latest smartphones like the iPhone of Apple 4S should boost sales during the Christmas season.

The United States and Western Europe were the most affected sales volumes have declined in both regions compared to the previous year, says the research firm.
    "The combination of an uncertain economy and the expectation of the output of certain products in the late third or fourth quarter led some consumers to delay purchasing their smartphone," said Kevin Restivo, an analyst at IDC in a statement.
    "Many have been waiting for handsets like the iPhone 4S, unveiled after the third quarter or 7 series BlackBerry from Research in Motion RIM.TO, launched in the last weeks of the quarter."
    The research firm Strategy Analytics, has estimated its global market growth this quarter to 14%.

---- original text ----
    28 octobre (Reuters) - Le march� mondial des t�l�phones mobiles a progress� de 12,8% au troisi�me trimestre, le deuxi�me taux de croissance le plus faible de ces deux derni�res ann�es, en raison de la prudence des consommateurs et d'un report des achats de combin�s, r�v�le vendredi le cabinet IDC.
    La forte demande pour les mod�les nouveaux, et souvent moins chers, dans les march�s �mergents a soutenu la croissance mondiale du march� et les derniers smartphones comme l'iPhone 4S d'Apple
    Href="QuoteRef">AAPL.O devraient doper les ventes lors des f�tes de fin d'ann�e.
    Les Etats-Unis et l'Europe de l'Ouest ont �t� les plus touch�s, les ventes en volumes ayant chut� dans les deux r�gions par rapport � l'ann�e pr�c�dente, rel�ve le cabinet de recherches.
    "La combinaison d'un contexte �conomique incertain et l'attente de la sortie de certains produits � la fin du troisi�me ou au quatri�me trimestre ont conduit certains consommateurs � reporter l'achat de leur smartphone", indique Kevin Restivo, analyste chez IDC dans un communiqu�.
    "Beaucoup ont attendu des combin�s comme l'iPhone 4S, d�voil� apr�s la fin du troisi�me trimestre ou la s�rie des BlackBerry 7 de Research in Motion RIM.TO , lanc�e dans les derni�res semaines du trimestre."
    Le cabinet de recherche Strategy Analytics, a lui estim� la croissance du march� mondial ce trimestre � 14%.
    11-02-11 12:06 PM
420 123 ...