06-25-14 12:10 PM
36 12
tools
    I think BlackBerry is the wrong direction again, they are focusing too much in security, in hiding the information, but information is more valuable when is shared and available to more people.

The software supplier that will rule the enterprise world in 5-10 years will be the one that can process the sea of data that companies collect, and surface relevant information to each individual in the organization, interacting with users through natural interfaces and proactive behavior, encompassing all the devices, accessible from any location in a secure way.

BlackBerry should be developing an AI engine for the enterprise to process information, not developing end to end protocols to hide the information from itself. Of course security is important, but security should be access control, determine which individuals have access to what information, not burying the information so much that It becomes pointless. There is critical information that requires top level security, but there is far more information that have more value being processed and analyzed.

Let's say that 5% of the information is top secret, who is better in taking care of that information? Protocols managed by human, or an AI engine that knows in real time, which individuals are accessing what information, from what location, at what time, after doing what, etc.
    AI will always win over humans in situation that doesn't require interpretation like security rules, AI can even detect inconsistencies in the rules. AI can win over humans processing context information to detect patterns and abnormalities. Could an end to end protocol stop me from sharing data by error with the incorrect employee? No, but an AI engine could detect it and warn me or even stop me.

Companies are investing heavily in AI. It's the next big thing in both the consumer and the enterprise market.
    03-22-14 04:19 PM
    Wow deep, hope I'm dead or retired by then.
    kbz1960, Mr.Monty and tigrute like this.
    03-22-14 04:43 PM
    Sounds like a good project for companies that will definitely be around 5-10 years from now like, say Google, Apple, or Microsoft. You know, companies that own their offices rather than rent.
    milo53 likes this.
    03-22-14 04:51 PM
    What you are referring to is Analytics and Business Intelligence.

It's very much developed and there are large companies like Cognos, IBM, Microsoft that have been developing tools for decades.

I don't think BlackBerry should enter this market. There won't be any synergies with their current businesses.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 05:39 PM
    So basically, Google is invincible.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    03-22-14 05:59 PM
    Only time will tell... nothing lasts forever.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 08:46 PM
    "Nothing weaker than water; nothing stronger than rock. Still, a slow flow of water can cut through mountains." - Zen Proverb.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-22-14 08:48 PM
    Sounds like a good project for companies that will definitely be around 5-10 years from now like, say Google, Apple, or Microsoft. You know, companies that own their offices rather than rent.
    Some of Canada's Major banks don't own their own buildings...they are hugely profitable companies that could own if they wanted. this makes your point of ownership irrelevant.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    03-22-14 08:55 PM
    Only time will tell... nothing lasts forever.

Posted via CB10
    But the earth and sky

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    03-22-14 08:56 PM
    But the earth and sky

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    Technically.... have a great weekend!

03-22-14 09:57 PM
    ah no. Thats exactly the direction we find ourselves in today. With Google and facebook data mining our every move. Its exactly what people dont want in the enterprise industry secrecy had gone the way of the unicorn which is why when any announcement comes out about a product or service its rarely if ever a secret. Sorry but i think we know what happens when certain information gets leaked or perhaps stolen. Just ask Target about that. Do you think they wish they had a bit better security now? How about apple who just found a vulnerability in their IOS 7.1. So unfortunately thats not the direction we need to go in. This is the direction certain people would want us to go in because it gives up everything. No personal information held back from anyone Sorry we saw what happens when this is the kind of direction things go in. Just ask Edward Snowden if he thinks this isthe way things should be going. If you just watched 60 minutes about data mining for the retail sector. Its nothing more then big brother. This is not what we ever intended for information to be used for. This to me is out and out theft. Theft of ones own personal information and once its out its not coming back to you. So sorry to say if thats what you think about the direction of future businesses then sorry but i want out and i know about 6 billion other people that want out too. Thanks but no thanks. AI nothing more then information theft.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-22-14 10:16 PM

It's up to the people.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 10:54 AM
    Yup, they spend money on redesigning their mobile phones, just to go back to old style further reducing screen size once again with the trackpad. It was nice for browsing the web, but gestures are way faster!!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 11:17 AM
    Some of Canada's Major banks don't own their own buildings...they are hugely profitable companies that could own if they wanted. this makes your point of ownership irrelevant.
    Banks have capitalization requirements that often dictate decisions about their real estate holdings. I think it's safe to say that Blackberry would not be selling its offices if it didn't need cash right away. Companies that need to sell their offices in order to raise cash are poor candidates to invest in technologies that will not pay off for 5-10 years, especially if their main competitors can easily afford to do this and more without spending anything that would be noticeable on their books.
    03-23-14 11:34 AM
    Banks have capitalization requirements that often dictate decisions about their real estate holdings. I think it's safe to say that Blackberry would not be selling its offices if it didn't need cash right away. Companies that need to sell their offices in order to raise cash are poor candidates to invest in technologies that will not pay off for 5-10 years, especially if their main competitors can easily afford to do this and more without spending anything that would be noticeable on their books.
    No that is not right. Real estate is an investment. You own real estate as an investment. It is a bet that the value of that property will go up. BlackBerry does not retain real estate experts. Therefore they should not be holding large real estate investments. They should spend money on their business. Not have two businesses. One a tech company and the other a business hoping their real estate assets go up in value.

Renting gives them more flexibility. They can lower the size of their location easier. They can also move easier.

But BlackBerry does need cash. You just have to separate normal corporate activities which often dictates that not owning your headquarters makes the most sense. Selling the buildings is not the last sign of desperation. It makes good sense.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 11:57 PM
    It's part of their leaning-out strategy, and just a good time to do it. I work at a billion dollar firm that has been successful since the 1960's, and we've always leased our buildings (100's of offices worldwide). We focus on our technical expertise and have no interest in a property management arm.

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    tack likes this.
    03-29-14 10:33 AM
    Regardless of what other business do, BlackBerry's selling is a desperate act to raise money. They didn?t have a choice, and with all the layoffs over the last couple of years, many of those buildings were empty. I imagine it was easier to make a deal with the collage for the whole campus than one building at a time.

We have to hope it buys them the time they believe it will take to turn things around.

Posted via CB10
    richardat and techvisor like this.
    03-29-14 09:29 PM
    Regardless of what other business do, BlackBerry's selling is a desperate act to raise money. They didn?t have a choice, and with all the layoffs over the last couple of years, many of those buildings were empty. I imagine it was easier to make a deal with the collage for the whole campus than one building at a time.

We have to hope it buys them the time they believe it will take to turn things around.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry...disagree, new management has decided the expense of ownership is not worth the gains achieved over time. How old are the buildings anyway? What type of HVAC system do they have? Is it efficient? Does it require a re-work? How about the cladding, roof, plumbing?
    I agree with their decision...why carry cost uncertainty when a lease provides a fixed budget line item.

Desperate is way out of line imo.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-29-14 10:16 PM
    Hey I worked at a company with 13000 employees that wasn't exactly struggling and they rent their buildings :P
    03-30-14 07:23 PM
    Sorry...disagree, new management has decided the expense of ownership is not worth the gains achieved over time. How old are the buildings anyway? What type of HVAC system do they have? Is it efficient? Does it require a re-work? How about the cladding, roof, plumbing?
    I agree with their decision...why carry cost uncertainty when a lease provides a fixed budget line item.

Desperate is way out of line imo.

Sorry, you're right. No need for desperate moves like putting the company up for sale or liquidation of every asset the can and still operate....

Everything is just fine.

Posted via CB10
    richardat and techvisor like this.
    03-30-14 09:04 PM
    Desperate is indeed way out of line imho.

Z10 10.3 Rocks!
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-30-14 09:24 PM
    Sorry, you're right. No need for desperate moves like putting the company up for sale or liquidation of every asset the can and still operate....

Everything is just fine.

Posted via CB10
    I never said everything was fine, placing the company up for sale is old news...who did that anyway? Are they still part of the management team or BOD?
    You said desperate...I say wise move, nothing new from you other than that? Your slipping bud...what would you do if given the exact hand CHEN has been dealt?

03-30-14 10:34 PM
    IBM s pretty big and profitable. They "got out of the property management business" in the middle 90's for the same reasons BB did. It's not their core business and it's less expensive to rent. They also freed up necessary cash. But hey, what do Chen and Lou Gerstner know.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-30-14 10:39 PM
    I'm not sure what the OP is suggesting... Maybe I just don't have the technical background.

I have confidence in the direction Chen is taking BB. He's there in part because Prem Watsa believes in him. He's the right guy.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-30-14 10:43 PM
    I never said everything was fine, placing the company up for sale is old news...who did that anyway? Are they still part of the management team or BOD?
    You said desperate...I say wise move, nothing new from you other than that? Your slipping bud...what would you do if given the exact hand CHEN has been dealt?

You are trying to sugar coat their decision by making it seem like they had a decision. They were forced to sell, they had nothing else that would bring in that much cash without really affecting operations. Next move is going to be to sell some other items with some value..... maybe QNX, maybe ownership in some of the patent groups they are part of, or maybe the whole patent portfolio. They aren't going to want to do it, but it will be the only move they will have if they can't make the company appear valuable and worth purchasing. Because the company is still up for sale!

No TH isn't part of the management team today, but the reason for his and PW panic is still there. BB10 is a flop! You can discount poor initial sales, but when following indicator show that sales are slipping further.... you are in major trouble. I think they both hoped someone watching on the sidelines would swoop in and buy then or better yet a little bidding war would push the price up higher.

Didn't say that Chen had made a wrong move in selling the property, just that he really didn't have too many options. But you are right making this decision was wiser than the alternative.....
    03-31-14 12:52 PM
36 12