It is possible now with BB10.
    I really wish there was some good news. I am a BB shareholder. I should have sold the stock when I bought my first android.I needed an android for international travel. The android allowed me to buy a local SIM card, giving me internet and email on my unlocked android. This was not possible on a BB because of BIS.
    10-03-13 03:39 PM
    You can't get email on a pay as you go SIM on a Curve 8900 unless that SIM has BIS. But yes, it works on a Z10. BB came late to the party on this one. You need a BIS account to get email on a Curve if you are not on BES and don't want to pay roaming charges while traveling.
    Right but your earlier statement was that it could not be done.

All that was required was for me to buy the pay as you go SIM, call carrier and tell them to throw on BIS and it was always amounted to either less or the same amount as a generic data plan.

Perhaps for some the extra phone call required was too much work but in Europe, I could do it via voice prompts or online.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 03:48 PM
    I just thought off an idea for BlackBerry to sell better. Perhaps, they should have a small BlackBerry stand (not even a booth to keep the cost down) in every Costco stores or wholesale stores with similar format. There will a BlackBerry representative with four BB10 model (Q10, Q5, Z10, and Z30) and accessories.The representative must be knowledgeable with BB10 products. Invite shoppers to stop and check out all the cool BB10.2 features and shopper can purchase the phones on the spot. There will be a lot of leg work but it may present some opportunity. What do you think?
    pbeasley likes this.
    10-03-13 04:23 PM
    I just thought off an idea for BlackBerry to sell better. Perhaps, they should have a small BlackBerry stand (not even a booth to keep the cost down) in every Costco stores or wholesale stores with similar format. There will a BlackBerry representative with four BB10 model (Q10, Q5, Z10, and Z30) and accessories.The representative must be knowledgeable with BB10 products. Invite shoppers to stop and check out all the cool BB10.2 features and shopper can purchase the phones on the spot. There will be a lot of leg work but it may present some opportunity. What do you think?
    With news of layoffs every week, I don't think BlackBerry is going to hire representatives to carry out in store sales.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 04:43 PM
    how many units can a rep sale in one costo store? The profit would not even cover the cost of that guy's pay.
    10-03-13 05:07 PM
    A shareholder wouldnt want to spread more negativity. That isnt exactly going to help your stock price.

Here is a look at your thread history.

E92Vancouver started a thread Blackberry has no way to survive.
    E92Vancouver started a thread BlackBerry Ltd says restructuring costs have quadrupled to US$400-million
    E92Vancouver started a thread BlackBerry app ditched by Britain�s �The Times� newspaper due to lack of users
    E92Vancouver started a thread Why Blackberry Has Failed: No Market For a Smartphone With A Keyboard!
    E92Vancouver started a thread How Blackberry Blew It!
    E92Vancouver started a thread Blackberry Reports Record Quartely Loss! $1 Billion!!!!
    E92Vancouver started a thread Blackberry Users are only worth $40!!!!
    E92Vancouver started a thread Blackberry Never Had A Chance!

Nice trend
    Wooo, nice bust, homie!
    10-03-13 06:39 PM
    I needed an android for international travel. The android allowed me to buy a local SIM card, giving me internet and email on my unlocked android. This was not possible on a BB because of BIS.

That's hilarious, because one of the A-NUMBER-ONE reasons certain people around here are incessantly whining about RIM taking away BIS from BB10 is precisely because they claim BIS service was far more economical when traveling internationally than the competition.
    10-03-13 09:28 PM
    That's hilarious, because one of the A-NUMBER-ONE reasons certain people around here are incessantly whining about RIM taking away BIS from BB10 is precisely because they claim BIS service was far more economical when traveling internationally than the competition.
    Data compression is what they meant.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    aniym likes this.
    10-03-13 10:01 PM
    Right but your earlier statement was that it could not be done.

All that was required was for me to buy the pay as you go SIM, call carrier and tell them to throw on BIS and it was always amounted to either less or the same amount as a generic data plan.

Perhaps for some the extra phone call required was too much work but in Europe, I could do it via voice prompts or online.

Posted via CB10
    You were lucky. The carriers in the countries I traveled in only had prepaid data SIMs with no BIS support. They were catering to the iphone/android crowd only.

Also, setting up all your email accounts (I have 5) is a pain in the rear on BIS. With an android/iphone, I just pop in the SIM and emails start coming in.
    10-03-13 10:53 PM
    OMG. There are some memories. Where is the Belfast Dispatcher?
    10-03-13 10:55 PM
    They should rent kiosk space in Future Shop. Best Buy, etc and sell direct!
    10-03-13 10:56 PM
    Go post positive articles about your Android On a Android Site. Why do you hang around CrackBerry ? We simply aren't interested in any of your negative articles.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. Though I like the size, the OS is a little buggy and laggy. Plus there is too much Samsung bloat ware on it. OS updates are few and far between. The BB OS and hardware is much better. Android is a juggernaut. It is not as good as everyone thinks.

I have an iphone 5S too. The OS is polished and fast but the screen size is a joke.

The perfect phone for me would be a BB if it had apps.

A BB is like having a beautiful wife that is perfect in all respects but she does not like to have sex.

Why didn't BB throw money at developers of the most popular apps?
    10-03-13 11:01 PM
    They should rent kiosk space in Future Shop. Best Buy, etc and sell direct!
    Sure. And make sure to have a dedicated BlackBerry salesman to give demos to potential customers. This way regular salesmen don't have a chance to steer potential customers away.

Post via CB Z10
    10-03-13 11:07 PM
    Sure. And make sure to have a dedicated BlackBerry salesman to give demos to potential customers. This way regular salesmen don't have a chance to steer potential customers away.

Post via CB Z10
    Bingo! Some salesman in a retail store that uses an iphone or Android is not going to be very good or enthusiastic about selling a BB. In Vancouver, BB hired people to drive around the city in these BB branded Sprinter Vans to demonstrate the product on the street. Plus they were giving out presents. Really cool vibe.
    10-03-13 11:32 PM
    Data compression is what they meant.

That's only part of the argument. The other part was that BIS plans often offered "unlimited data", which might not be such a big deal in countries where a large bundle of data usage is often offered by carriers for a reasonable flat rate, but it can be a big deal if your carrier wants to charge you $2.00/MB for usage out of your home area, and if you don't want to have a different phone number every time you travel out of the country.
    10-04-13 05:21 AM
    My opinion is that Bloomberg story hit the nail on the head. It was very well done. Wow!
    Still not going to click the link. Post the story here.

Ricocan
    10-04-13 05:28 AM
    It's also funny, that everyone wanted BB to change and adapt for a long time, and now that they have and continue to aggressively do so, making some very tough decisions, suddenly they're a failure for doing so. Change doesn't always look pretty, but it's necessary and has its moments of bad news. It takes a big ship a long time to turn around, but BB is full steam ahead on turning around, and when it does, it'll own it's place in the market and will have earned it.

There's 5 stages of grief reaction:

1. Denial
    2. Rage
    3. Bargaining
    4. Grief
    5. Acceptance

What stage do you think we're in?

This company isn't done yet.
    10-04-13 05:50 AM
    You were lucky. The carriers in the countries I traveled in only had prepaid data SIMs with no BIS support. They were catering to the iphone/android crowd only.

Also, setting up all your email accounts (I have 5) is a pain in the rear on BIS. With an android/iphone, I just pop in the SIM and emails start coming in.
    I wouldn't call a consistent experience on 3 different continents luck.

Re BIS Email : I could see how re-entering your email account passwords could be a pain for some but i actually liked that added step of security when switching BIS plans
    10-04-13 09:08 AM

There's 5 stages of grief reaction:

1. Denial
    2. Rage
    3. Bargaining
    4. Grief
    5. Acceptance

What stage do you think we're in?

This company isn't done yet.

A hybrid of sorts between grief and acceptance
    10-04-13 09:09 AM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. Though I like the size, the OS is a little buggy and laggy. Plus there is too much Samsung bloat ware on it. OS updates are few and far between. The BB OS and hardware is much better. Android is a juggernaut. It is not as good as everyone thinks.

I have an iphone 5S too. The OS is polished and fast but the screen size is a joke.

The perfect phone for me would be a BB if it had apps.

A BB is like having a beautiful wife that is perfect in all respects but she does not like to have sex.

Why didn't BB throw money at developers of the most popular apps?
    Hahaha

After reading this post of your's, I think I like you again.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    10-04-13 11:21 AM
    The fact is that most people forget that back in 1997 not only was a company called Apple faced with a similar situation with a stock price of below $6 but they also were writing off losses of over $1B back then.
    Yup. I bought AAPL back then. Don't think I paid more than $36/share. Shoulda dumped a bunch at $700/share last year, but was too busy cruising CrackBerry.
    10-04-13 03:47 PM
    This guy who is talking is so full of cap iPhone user who thinks he knows what he is talking about and with attitude

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:49 PM
97 ... 234