BlackBerry expected to post a small loss for fiscal Q2; company's operations valued at under $300M

This is the real reason behind the chendroid. It's Hail Mary time for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 11:28 AM
    Shocking that the worse product portfolio ever is going to produce the worst sales ever and a loss for the company. Android won't fix this! Chen has let the handset division die via negligence and poor product decisions. Only question is was this his plan, or was it just a huge mistake.

Posted via Z30
    08-23-15 12:27 PM
    No flagship all touch. Killed them.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    techvisor, tanzarian and TRlPPlN like this.
    08-23-15 04:53 PM
    Time to face facts... BB is a best a niche market company and at worse in it's death throws... will not comment on quarterlies as until they are reported everything is speculation and serves not purpose...
    techvisor likes this.
    08-23-15 05:00 PM
    No flagship all touch. Killed them.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    And that would have sold so well that the company would have remained any kind of player?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    08-23-15 05:24 PM
    And Phonearena is an authority on multi national finance ??? How old was the author? (24) Bhahahha

Classically Posted.
    08-23-15 05:57 PM
    Qnx alone is worth more than $300M.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:35 PM
    There are too many variables for it to be an easy prediction. SAF and handsets will continue to disappoint most likely but software is quite the wild card right now. Watchdox and athoc should both be included under blackberrys revenue right now, albeit they should only have a minor impact. No one knows how this new licensing deal works but it's safe to say there is more money there this year based on chens comments at q1.

Chen also laid off more people last quarter. I'm not an accountant but the operating costs will go down again... Just not sure exactly when since that depends on how bbry did it.

Everyone should be looking at software and holding the company to it. If they keep growing those revenues at a solid pace, the company could easily become profitable by 2016.

I don't think bbry is banking on the slider as a Hail Mary. I think google will help them out with publicity but this thing was shown off almost 7 months ago. If anything it's probably the biggest wildcard because if blackberry can't even sell handsets with the largest OS in the world... Well
    08-24-15 06:34 AM
    And Phonearena is an authority on multi national finance ??? How old was the author? (24) Bhahahha

Classically Posted.
    The author mentions that these are the views of Wall Street.... he didn't name his source, but while some are long on BlackBerry.

But a look at the stock price today, it's pretty clear what the street is thinking about BlackBerry.

I'm not saying that long term, they won't turn things around. Just that them company's hardware business seems to be in another transition - notable changing the OS. That is going to cost them more in resources, and short term even in customers.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-24-15 10:25 AM
    Qnx alone is worth more than $300M.

Posted via CB10
    Do they break out QNX revenues?
    08-24-15 03:36 PM
    Do they break out QNX revenues?
    I think he is talking about the headline and BlackBerry's operations are only being valued at $300M once the cash is subtracted.

I guess TheRock hasn't ever seen a Garage Sale where things get "valued" at what you can get for them......

But no we have no idea of the revenues or QNX or what value they bring to the company....

What is kinda strange is BlackBerry's software revenues from before they bought QNX were higher than they are even today. In the 4th Quarter the total of all software was like $65 Million, but without knowing a breakdown there is no way to know if QNX accounts for 75% , 50% or maybe just 10% of that revenue. And now that licensing is included with software, that makes it even tougher to figure out what is making money.

The thing is BBRY does seem to be very attractive right now... Cash, Patents, QNX and several "good" divisions. They are worth a lot more than the value of the stock indicates.
    08-24-15 04:03 PM
    I don't think anyone who follows the stock think THIS quarter is the one where revenue jumps, thats a Q2016 play. Given service revenue continue to decrease, no indication that devices revenues have arrested the downward trend, then all you have left is a 'who knows' on software, ie BES12. to make up the deficit. Suppose a Hail Mary could be another Cisco-type agreement on patent licensing but WallStreet isn't betting on it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-24-15 07:39 PM
    No shock, with all these Android rumours shaking up views of the company, the only new device being a rehash of a existing one and services on the decline it is pretty much acceptable that this might be a loss. Given I hope it isn't one too bad tho

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and DINGSTER1 like this.
    08-24-15 07:50 PM
    What is scary... is in the sort term I expect this move to Android will hurt BlackBerry among their target Enterprise customers.

But if the Android/BlackBerry combination is done well and offers everything enterprise and business wants.... who knows where the hardware business could be in 12 months.

Of course I think Windows 10 is going to make things tough for BlackBerry.... and Apple with their new partnerships are not just going to step aside.
    08-25-15 08:49 AM
    The lack of any word from BlackBerry is what is killing them. Clearly there are things in the mix that are 'new', what and how those new things play into the whole of BlackBerry is yet to be seen. Anyone trying to predict how this is going to play out without being a senior level insider is just fooling themselves.

Things I would be worried about would be senior people leaving that Chen hired. That would tell me the ship was sinking.
    08-25-15 09:11 AM
    Is the new Android phone the only Chen phone? Passport development started before him, right?

This means that he had no faith in OS10 and the handset division.

They quit way too early on handsets. They need to double back and release an all touch device.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 02:18 PM
    I don't think a small loss is anything to be upset about. The company is expected to operate right around break even (so small profits and small losses) until the new strategy is in place by end of FY16.

So this isn't really news, is it?
    ZayDub likes this.
    08-25-15 02:21 PM
    I don't think a small loss is anything to be upset about. The company is expected to operate right around break even (so small profits and small losses) until the new strategy is in place by end of FY16.

No they were suppose to be in a "growth period" this year. Stock is down, because there is no sign of growth other than licensing some patents that weren't BlackBerry patents to begin with. So right now, investing in other areas is just a better option for the short term investors. But the overall downturn in the markets is also a big factor in keep "interest" in BlackBerry down. It's just not a good time for a "long shot".
    08-25-15 03:35 PM

I thought that got put back? I seem to remember that Chen reset the clock on his turnaround at the last earning call?
    08-26-15 06:21 AM

Classically Posted.
    +1

Do they have someone on the inside that has seen this info or they got some magical crystal ball that lets them see into the future? Lol.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    08-26-15 06:27 AM
    I thought that got put back? I seem to remember that Chen reset the clock on his turnaround at the last earning call?
    You're right, he did. So more like FY17 now?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-26-15 01:03 PM
    You're right, he did. So more like FY17 now?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    yep - there is an interesting run of comments here about the 'true' value of QNX:
    08-26-15 01:32 PM
    Yes yes...Kia for President.

Classically Posted.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 08-27-15 at 07:52 AM.
    La Emperor likes this.
    08-27-15 07:06 AM
    Yes yes...Kia for President.

Classically Posted.
    Oh god are you talking about Kia investment research? I cringe whenever I read his posts or bob Morgan. They have at least 5k comments on seeking alpha blackberry stories. If you pick any blackberry article on seeking alpha in the past 2 years, I guarantee you there will be at least 10 comments from them.
    09-01-15 06:44 AM
    Oh god are you talking about Kia investment research? I cringe whenever I read his posts or bob Morgan. They have at least 5k comments on seeking alpha blackberry stories. If you pick any blackberry article on seeking alpha in the past 2 years, I guarantee you there will be at least 10 comments from them.
    Lol...yup, but they don't have an agenda. (sarcasm).

Classically Posted.
    rarsen likes this.
    09-01-15 08:10 AM
36 12