And Phonearena is an authority on multi national finance ??? How old was the author? (24) Bhahahha

Classically Posted.
    Good one, yes phonearena as your analytical source of corporate balance sheets. It does make one chuckle. Do you think the author even knows what a corporate balance sheet is? Perhaps one should give the author a heads up and tell them that you don't spend 500 million on an acquisition if you haven't got some revenue coming in the door.

Things will be fine, blackberry is healing and executing a solid game plan. Step by Step. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    09-05-15 05:29 PM
    Good one, yes phonearena as your analytical source of corporate balance sheets. It does make one chuckle. Do you think the author even knows what a corporate balance sheet is? Perhaps one should give the author a heads up and tell them that you don't spend 500 million on an acquisition if you haven't got some revenue coming in the door.

Things will be fine, blackberry is healing and executing a solid game plan. Step by Step. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Posted via CB10
    Only took six days to burn it to the ground.....

You do know that Good was losing close to $100 million a quarter back when they had opened their books for an IPO? Today most expect that number has risen, as Good has been losing customers.....

I'm sure the Good acquisition fits somewhere into Chen's plans, and might be very good for them in the long term. But I wouldn't count on it being a short term solution for Chen's revenue problems. Unless you think that increasing revenues at the cost of going into the red on profits is an ok thing.
    09-08-15 08:15 AM
    Only took six days to burn it to the ground.....

You do know that Good was losing close to $100 million a quarter back when they had opened their books for an IPO? Today most expect that number has risen, as Good has been losing customers.....

I'm sure the Good acquisition fits somewhere into Chen's plans, and might be very good for them in the long term. But I wouldn't count on it being a short term solution for Chen's revenue problems. Unless you think that increasing revenues at the cost of going into the red on profits is an ok thing.
    Yes, and that is why Chen picked it up at a fire sell price. 425 million is a whole lot less than the 2.3 billion they asked 18 months ago. In a nutshell, blackberry picked up Good technologies at 2x revenue. Pretty cheap. Strip the one or two good parts and then convert customers to BES12 and call it a day. One less competitor.

In terms of revenue, good technologies adds around 40-50 million per quarter or 160-200 million per year. So of course it helps with service revenue. Just read the balance sheet.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 08:01 PM
    Blackberry isn't dead because Chen neglected it - he recognized that BB10 as good as it was, was never going to be able to compete against Android or Apple because they just don't have the resources to create an ecosystem that can rival the top 2 OS's.

The vast majority of the consumer market, want what Apple and Google provide, and that's apps (and everything related to them), camera, map service, and voice command.

In those CORE areas Blackberry is a pathetic last place...

It's great the Blackberry has made a very efficient and intuitive OS that is conducive to messaging and work, I personally love BB10 for all it's little things like the file manager, file sharing, hub, etc BUT the consumer market does not care about this.

The company was dying in 2011 when they were still stuck on OS7 and Apple was introducing Apps and an amazing camera on their phones. BB10 was way too late to the scene and even though it was a great effort, if you've ever used an apple or android phone, you can see why Blackberry has failed in the consumer space.

Chen was at the helm for the release of the Classic to try and win over legacy hold outs, he released the Leap and some other budget phones for markets that they still had a chance in, he focused energy and resources in a space they were still competitive in (security and enterprise), and he's now finally addressing the core problem that Blackberry had always been facing but too ignorant and short-sighted to see by the old exec team - the ecosystem experience.

Releasing another all touch device? That's perhaps one of the stupidest things Chen could do right now - the Z30 was a total failure despite being their best device at the time. The Z10 and Q10 rode on hype and nothing more.

Nothing demonstrates just how poor the brand is, when BBM was once king of instant messaging and they're struggling to hit even 100M users when the other guys are into the 500M and I think FB messenger is approaching 1B users...this isn't Chen's fault.

The Classic and Passport had superior hardware and 10.3.2 makes 10.1 look like a joke, but they sold more Z10 and Q10's...

This isn't Chen's fault - he's actually saving Blackberry. You'll see. If they execute the Slider properly, it'll turn their fortunes around.
    09-09-15 08:34 PM
    Yes, and that is why Chen picked it up at a fire sell price. 425 million is a whole lot less than the 2.3 billion they asked 18 months ago. In a nutshell, blackberry picked up Good technologies at 2x revenue. Pretty cheap. Strip the one or two good parts and then convert customers to BES12 and call it a day. One less competitor.

In terms of revenue, good technologies adds around 40-50 million per quarter or 160-200 million per year. So of course it helps with service revenue. Just read the balance sheet.

Posted via CB10
    You do know that their revenue comes at the "cost"? That's why Good was so cheap and why they could not make the IPO happen. With other tech IPOs failing, with MobileIron failing and with their own books full of RED. If it "cost" 300 million to operate and you only bring in 200 Million.... can you call that Good? Chen will most likely merge Good and BES, and thus get rid of a lot of duplicated cost.... but that will take time, and will affect the customer base some.

Also, it seems that BES is not Service Revenue, it is part of Software and Licensing.... so I assume that Good will be also. Not really sure what Service Revenues are... but BlackBerry themselves forecasted that it will continue to shrink by 15% each quarter all this financial year. Maybe it's fees from Carriers for BIS and BES? Which now I think only regulated BES requires some type of Carrier involvement.
    09-10-15 07:29 AM
    Also, it seems that BES is not Service Revenue, it is part of Software and Licensing.... so I assume that Good will be also. Not really sure what Service Revenues are... but BlackBerry themselves forecasted that it will continue to shrink by 15% each quarter all this financial year. Maybe it's fees from Carriers for BIS and BES? Which now I think only regulated BES requires some type of Carrier involvement.
    I thought Service Revenues were mostly from the old BIS/BES data plans that accompanied the old BBOS phones.

Hopefully by year end new service revenues from virtual SIM solutions from Movirtu and other initiatives will start to appear.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 01:27 PM
    Are you assuming that BlackBerry is going to run Good as a separate company because in the call he said that the acquisition is going to be accretive in both revenues and earnings. In these acquisitions expect there to be lots of cost cutting, they're really buying the customer base and IP. 80% of Good's revenue is supposedly recurring so I expect that you don't have to worry as much, if that now makes sense.

Posted from my BB10 passport
    09-12-15 04:11 PM
    Chen's method is pretty clear at this point - keep buying to inflate the numbers and dump the companies in "software and services" so its impossible to work out what any of the business units are doing - how long he can keep pulling this trick is another question...
    09-14-15 10:38 AM
    Chen's method is pretty clear at this point - keep buying to inflate the numbers and dump the companies in "software and services" so its impossible to work out what any of the business units are doing - how long he can keep pulling this trick is another question...
    Na this is a trick .com companies used during the Internet bubble. It's the oldest play in the book and analysts can see right through that crap. I'm commenting back to multiple people in this thread but I'm satisfied with the overall strategy so far. They're expanding their customer base (good) and buying companies that fit rather nicely into the mdm platforms like (movirtu, watchdox, and athoc). Now, let's see the numbers because I'm sure good was losing money fast because they sold their company for half what their IPO was supposed to be. Revenue might be higher but costs will undoubtedly be higher as well.

The question is where does blackberry go beyond mdm/qnx in the 2-5 year range in terms of software. I don't see IOT devices being ridiculously popular in enterprise management anytime soon but it will happen... But beyond that, are they sticking with security? Are they looking for more productivity? My gut says the former but I don't see that theme as being a huge source of revenue especially in the competitive landscape of today
    09-14-15 09:47 PM
    No, BlackBerry delivered 3 consecutive profitable quarters.

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (Airtel / STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    10-11-15 06:07 AM
    No, BlackBerry delivered 3 consecutive profitable quarters.
    http://s7.postimg.org/p3p0c7vmz/image.png

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (Airtel / STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    But how much growth did they deliver?

Cutting spending faster than revenues are declining... isn't a recipe for creating confidence in investors. If Chen's not careful, he might end up firing himself without meaning too.

Investors want to see a sustainable business... plain and simple. Hardware would be great as that is where more of the money is, but if it's software and licensing, so be it. IF it can support it's self.
    10-12-15 09:14 AM
36 12