The recent announcement from BlackBerry stating that they are pursuing strategic initiatives I believe is the final nail in the coffin for BlackBerry.

Before I get into my rant, I own a Z10. I think it is an amazing phone, albeit, with a few features and apps still missing.

BlackBerry has been failing of several levels for quite some time. Let's recap the past few months. BB10 delay. Z10/Q10 launch delay. U.S. launch delay. Marketing failures - the neon bikes, cartoon superheros, superhero super bowl ad. 30 second Z10 ad that had 5 seconds of Z10. Pricing the Z10 on par with iPhone and S4/S5. Minimal carrier support at launch, especially in the U.S. Biggest brand name apps still refuse to support BB10. Playbook fiasco. BES10 challenges (software is still buggy). Less than 5 million BB10 units sold through Q1/FY14. Leaked A10/Z30 specs that are below current S5 specs. Overpriced Q5. And now they announce a strategic review with very little indication of what direction they're heading....

Well, I can tell you where they're going and it isn't pretty. Announcing a strategic review pretty much killed the very little momentum BlackBerry had. The reinvigorated trolls that love bashing BlackBerry have been given new life. It gave Jonathan Gellar the wettest dream of his life. Gave the "I told-you-so" people a new reason to live. And all this unneeded, unnecessary negativity is going to result in sales falling off a cliff (or the small hill they were on). App development is going to freeze. What ever carrier support they had will change to a fire/discount sale mode. Consumers perception of the brand is tarnished further, making any future sales that much more difficult. BlackBerry is effectively now a rudder-less/engine-less ship in the ocean, adrift until some form of certainty re-emerges.

What I hope for is a strong financial buyer to come in - and fire, in epic fashion, filled with expletives, the entire Board and senior executive team - none of whom deserve to be there. Hold off launching the A10/Z30 until they properly spec it up. Fire the marketing department and hire a group of people who can inspire consumers and businesses to buy a proper BlackBerry again. Convince carriers around the world that BB10 is an amazing platform with the best phones and then maybe after 30 or 40 million units are sold, we won't need a forum to request an app, because it will already be there.
    They did not come out with the perfect product. I think they need another 5 years to do it.
    08-19-13 06:23 PM
    I am curious what the Z30 will bring to the table as far as sales go. I can't imagine people flocking to a new phone on a new operating system that has not been a "hit" with consumers, which is run by a company that announces they might give up and sell the company.
    Etios likes this.
    08-19-13 06:29 PM
    I am a big shareholder and I have also lost faith

"and fire, in epic fashion," ABSOLUTELY...Start with the board.
    icedkermit, kfh227 and 1stTry like this.
    08-19-13 06:35 PM
    I am curious what the Z30 will bring to the table as far as sales go. I can't imagine people flocking to a new phone on a new operating system that has not been a "hit" with consumers, which is run by a company that announces they might give up and sell the company.
    Exactly!
    08-19-13 06:41 PM
    I'm sick of these
    pjmacklin likes this.
    My wife just told me she is looking at strategic alternatives to being married to me. I don't see why I should be worried about that either.
    you'll be worth less than 1/2 if she makes the move,,, BB even less so...
    Over 70 million subscribers for one and Id you did your homework and look closer at the company they are not lacking for cash at all. What they need is another company like Samsung or Google to give them a jumpstart back into the smartphone market. There is no doom and gloom at this point and time but they need to react to their failing business model.
    ...and if you had done yours you'd know that the 70 million figure is the last one given before BlackBerry STOPPED providing subscriber data. But, yeah keep using old and perhaps no longer accurate data.

As to the issue of cash, I would hazard a guess that I am much better able to read and dissect a Balance Sheet than you can ever hope to be. Nowhere did I say they were "lacking for cash." Talk to me after the next earnings call and we'll see how much of that 3 billion remains.
    08-19-13 06:45 PM
    ...and if you had done yours you'd know that the 70 million figure is the last one given before BlackBerry STOPPED providing subscriber data. But, yeah keep using old and perhaps no longer accurate data.

As to the issue of cash, I would hazard a guess that I am much better able to read and dissect a Balance Sheet than you can ever hope to be. Nowhere did I say they were "lacking for cash." Talk to me after the next earnings call and we'll see how much of that 3 billion remains.
    You're disagreeing with someone who's agreeing with you. You maybe better at dissecting a balance sheet than me (I doubt it though), but my reading skills are better. I'm going to assume you're an accountant by the way. It's not their $3.1 billion that's worrying - it's obviously awesome. What's worrying is the only reason their cash increased is because they managed their working capital and got a huge tax refund in Q1/14. Cash flow from service revenue is about to fall off a cliff and their current opex is over $3 billion a year. As an accountant you should be able to figure that out...

p.s. intelligence is know a tomato is a fruit, knowledge is know not to put it in a fruit salad.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-19-13 06:51 PM
    You're disagreeing with someone who's agreeing with you. You maybe better at dissecting a balance sheet than me (I doubt it though), but my reading skills are better. I'm going to assume you're an account by the way. It's not their $3.1 billion that's worrying - it's obviously awesome. What's worrying is the only reason their cash increased is because they managed their working capital and got a huge tax refund in Q1/14. Cash flow from service revenue is about to fall off a cliff and their current opex is over $3 billion a year. As an accountant you should be able to figure that out...

p.s. intelligence is know a tomato is a fruit, knowledge is know not to put it in a fruit salad.
    He is not agreeing with me. My original question was what were the real assets other than patents and cash. To point to the subscriber base (erroneously at that) and the cash balance as part of those remarkable assets is wrong. Especially the cash as it ignores the "one offs" that occurred in this quarter. Next quarter this will not be available.

P.S Wit ought to be a glorious treat like caviar; never spread it about like marmalade.
    08-19-13 06:59 PM
    Have they announced a launch date yet?
    Isn't this suppose to be their fall launch? If so, 'delaying' to "properly" [which is vague, as 'properly' spec'd is opinion really, isn't it?] spec it up at this point would potentially 'delay' it past the time frame they have planned for its release, leaving yet another bone for anti-BB wolves to chew on.
    08-19-13 07:06 PM
    If what'sup is worth more than 1 billion then BB with BBM, hardware, OS, QNX, security is worth 4 times more. Only enemy of bbry is BB management, execution, marketing..
    08-19-13 07:08 PM
    Isn't this suppose to be their fall launch? If so, 'delaying' to "properly" [which is vague, as 'properly' spec'd is opinion really, isn't it?] spec it up at this point would potentially 'delay' it past the time frame they have planned for its release, leaving yet another bone for anti-BB wolves to chew on.
    Any pain they'd face by delaying this 3 months would be less than launch a sub par product.
    08-19-13 07:09 PM
    If what'sup is worth more than 1 billion then BB with BBM, hardware, OS, QNX, security is worth 4 times more. Only enemy of bbry is BB management, execution, marketing..
    One big difference is what'sup's overhead is much smaller than BlackBerry's and one of the main arguments people make for BlackBerry to stop building phones and focus only on software. For that to work, they'd need to find a hardware manufacturer to user BB10. Palm tried this and failed miserably. Part of the security is also built on incorporating software and hardware and I doubt BlackBerry wants to give that up.
    08-19-13 07:11 PM
    The difference is one is adding users and growing. One isn't. Whatsapp is also cross platform. Whats app is also a stand alone company. Which makes it more attractive. With bbry u have to buy the whole lot and part it out to get what you want. Once bbm is truly cross platform and adding users than it will be a greater asset.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 07:13 PM
    When did this happen? What is going on? Does this mean that my z10 isn't going to work?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhh. <zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>
    DoktorFace likes this.
    08-19-13 07:48 PM
    December 2012 we were all supposed to die... BlackBerry was supposed to die for a long time now...
    BlackBerry is Doomed in my opinion-img_00000717.jpg oh and keep moving!!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:13 PM
    When did this happen? What is going on? Does this mean that my z10 isn't going to work?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhh. <zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>
    Nothing is set in stone...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:14 PM
    i'm a little thick? so, please, help me out here! who are you and how, why is this timely and otherwise well reasoned opinion important? what exactly what are you selling and why should I buy it? aren't there enough folks out there pointing fingers blackberry's way waiting for their long predicted, imminent demise? so, your wishes for a purchase by some other handset maker and the epic firing of blackberry's executive team, what's supposed to be the takeaway here? really, i'm confused!! should I become disillusioned with a device i'm otherwise happy with? should I jump to another trendy fold? help me out here! I mean...really!!
    08-19-13 08:18 PM
    Absolute worst case scenario is that they don't find a buyer partner and they muddle along as-is for as long as they can. I actually think this is what will happen. From here there are two outcomes:

1. They eventually go broke and the valuable parts of the company are picked over.
    or
    2. They keep working their behinds off, continue to release fixes and improvements to BB10, grow the install base of users (convert legacy BB users), attract new apps/devs to the platform with growing user base, and eventually see BB10 gain real traction.

I am an optimist and think they can pull off scenario #2. The odds are against them, but the one thing they do have going for them is that BB10 truly is a great platform. They really just need time for it to mature and grow.
    pjmacklin and phuoc like this.
    08-19-13 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry is Doomed in my opinion-img_00000317.png

Yep, BlackBerry's got DOOM. Great game.

Worth every penny of the .99! Glad someone finally dedicated a thread to it!
    DoktorFace and dusdal like this.
    08-19-13 08:30 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000317.png 
Views:	393 
Size:	425.2 KB 
ID:	194046

Yep, BlackBerry's got DOOM. Great game.

Worth every penny of the .99! Glad someone finally dedicated a thread to it!
    Hey, does 'IDKFA' work with the BlackBerry version like it did on the old PC version?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:33 PM
    Hey, does 'IDKFA' work with the BlackBerry version like it did on the old PC version?

Posted via CB10
    No, though I suspect that is due to the fact that the developer hasn't made the game recognize the keyboard. If you swipe it up, say to try and add a custom title for a save state, you won't be able to. It is on my list of bugs I will soon send to the dev.

P.S. Thanks for helping me bring positive to this thread! ;D

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-19-13 08:39 PM
    well you know what they say about opinions.....
    08-19-13 09:05 PM
    well you know what they say about opinions.....
    No I don't what??
    08-19-13 09:10 PM
    No I don't what??
    http://www.google.ca/#fp=b7c246e47b6...about+opinions

Pick one, there are many that apply.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:33 PM
58 123