They should have bought WhatsApp back in 2010 and made it into BBM.
    07-08-16 03:20 PM
    Don't think I would like to reply you anymore because I think my English is just too lousy for you to understand. Let's keep it this way where you just don't know what I'm talking about. Happy trolling anyway.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I am simply being realistic. personally I wouldn't invest a penny in the plan that you presented earlier... and I am sure that if we put it to a vote, pretty much everyone on this board will agree
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    07-08-16 04:43 PM
    Some IMs seem to be very successful with STICKERS....

It's clear that BlackBerry needed more and has moved to the advertising model to get it. But it's clear from comments on fan sites and if you read the latest BBM reviews on Google Play and the App Store that users aren't too happy with the ads. Question is will they pay to remove them or will that just move on.....
    07-11-16 08:00 AM
    Some IMs seem to be very successful with STICKERS....

It's clear that BlackBerry needed more and has moved to the advertising model to get it. But it's clear from comments on fan sites and if you read the latest BBM reviews on Google Play and the App Store that users aren't too happy with the ads. Question is will they pay to remove them or will that just move on.....
    Do you like the advertisement or do you not mind them?

Do you buy stickers?

Would you pay for a subscription to have no ads?

07-11-16 01:12 PM

Do you buy stickers?

I don't use BBM anymore.... but generally I don't mind paying for an app to remove the ads, if it's a one time fee. Subscription... not a fan.

As Stickers came out when I only had one contact left... I never bought any and only sent a free one, once to experiment.

I understand that BlackBerry has to make money on BBM... I just don't know the answer. Think they are in a fragile position and that these ads have rocked the boat a little. Maybe things settle down and the platform continues with the ads, maybe users go the subscription route... or maybe WhatsApp and LINE get a few more trial users....
    07-11-16 02:50 PM

Do you buy stickers?

For ads and pay or promotional sticker to work, you need one important item: user base!

No matter what you suggest, no matter how revolutionary it is, if the user base is not there, revenues won't come. That's the situation now with BB, they don't have enough users.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-11-16 03:54 PM
    For ads and pay or promotional sticker to work, you need one important item: user base!

No matter what you suggest, no matter how revolutionary it is, if the user base is not there, revenues won't come. That's the situation now with BB, they don't have enough users.
    Active users.... and users that have disposable income. BBM is really only being used in parts of Africa and Indonesia. Their market share in North/South America, Europe and Asia is almost not even measurable at this point.

How does BlackBerry make money on BBM.... they license it to someone like Emtek. The real question is what becomes of BBM in Indonesia now?
    techvisor likes this.
    07-12-16 08:43 AM

So how do you suggest that they get users?

07-13-16 12:58 PM

That's the billion dollar question....

For BBM to have more users, think BlackBerry has to address what users are complaining about... Not hard to look at the BBM app in BlackBerry World, Google Play and the App Store and see what people are having issues with (and it's not just all they don't want ads). Becuase for every user that bothers to complain, ten more probable just uninstall the app.

And the problem is everyday those other IM apps gain traction and users...making BBM less and less relevant in many markets.

My suggestion would be to hire a good software company to fix BBM.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-13-16 01:20 PM

Well if it was easy, I'll be rich!

The fact is BBM missed a huge opportunity when they launch cross platform. There was so much interest in it that the servers couldn't keep up.

People had to wait to get a PIN... that's a huge NO NO!
    Notifications was problematic, especially on iOS!

Basically people just started uninstalling the app. And now it's almost impossible to drum up interest again.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-14-16 10:27 AM
    The real question is what becomes of BBM in Indonesia now?
    Most likely answer? Users migrate themselves to WhatsApp.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-02-16 07:59 PM
    BBM another sell off of BlackBerry. What has become of BBM in one "SAD" . You buy a BlackBerry with expectations for a secure phone with BlackBerry native apps. Now you have a BBM with distressing push "SPAM" notification from fake Amazon you've won some ridiculous prize and an app trying to be everything to everybody. Why nonsensical football365, tennis365, hotels combined? What next? Golf365, Boxing365, Ballroom Dancing365, X Factor, Airlines, Uber?????????????
    05-19-18 08:51 PM
    BBM another sell off of BlackBerry. What has become of BBM in one "SAD" . You buy a BlackBerry with expectations for a secure phone with BlackBerry native apps. Now you have a BBM with distressing push "SPAM" notification from fake Amazon you've won some ridiculous prize and an app trying to be everything to everybody. Why nonsensical football365, tennis365, hotels combined? What next? Golf365, Boxing365, Ballroom Dancing365, X Factor, Airlines, Uber?????????????
    Next is Chen365..... somebody on this forum I am sure will be following his channel religiously!! Lol!!

Jokes apart, what you wrote shows the total ineptitude of BB management with reference to some software decisions. And don't forget they put the guy that created BBM to leave BB. Most probably he was against the worsening policy for a potential great product like BBM. Anyway now it is too late!! Poor bb users (me too).

Posted via CB10
    05-20-18 05:52 AM
    I'm with you. Everything that was decent and value by loyal BlackBerry users is disappearing with the wind.

BlackBerry (Chen) claiming to be a software enterprise why this sell off?

As the old saying goes "If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything" . It is most upsetting to see how BBM has been ruined.
    elfabio80 and The_Passporter like this.
    05-20-18 06:18 AM
    05-20-18 10:53 AM
    I'm with you. Everything that was decent and value by loyal BlackBerry users is disappearing with the wind.

BlackBerry (Chen) claiming to be a software enterprise why this sell off?

As the old saying goes "If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything" . It is most upsetting to see how BBM has been ruined.
    Your only valid point is that the things Blackberry of old did that interested you are no longer important to them.

The problem was that those things only lost money - BIG money.

On the other hand, they are now well positioned in Enterprise software and IoT.
    05-20-18 11:15 AM
    If they don't know how to monetize messenger without spamming users they should just give up
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-20-18 12:19 PM
    If they don't know how to monetize messenger without spamming users they should just give up
    How should Emtek earn revenues on BBM in your opinion?
    05-20-18 12:33 PM
    Luckily they've now sold the product to Emtek, maybe now someone with some business sense might have some luck with improving the business. BlackBerry operates like a crown corporation, building things, losing money on it and then selling it before the true potential or value is unlocked

Wasn't the original point of BBM to sell BB phones, since they are no longer in the phone business what is the point of BBM?
    05-20-18 12:42 PM
    Wasn't the original point of BBM to sell BB phones, since they are no longer in the phone business what is the point of BBM?
    Whatsapp doesn't just sell phones. There was a belief that Chen could make money with BBM. I guess like all else he can only sell it to someone else to wring remaining value out of a once powerful brand.
    05-20-18 01:39 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't just sell phones. There was a belief that Chen could make money with BBM. I guess like all else he can only sell it to someone else to wring remaining value out of a once powerful brand.
    BBM finally went cross-platform in the summer of 2013 - before Chen. By that time, WhatsApp was far ahead - 300 million to BBM's 50 million (and on a sharp trajectory), and was more feature rich from a consumer standpoint.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-20-18 01:50 PM
    BBM finally went cross-platform in the summer of 2013 - before Chen. By that time, WhatsApp was far ahead - 300 million to BBM's 50 million (and on a sharp trajectory), and was more feature rich from a consumer standpoint.
    I forgot the maxim that Dear Leader Chen can make no mistakes. It was not his fault that he failed to monetize BBM as he promised.
    elfabio80 and HughJarsse like this.
    05-20-18 02:11 PM
    I forgot the maxim that Dear Leader Chen can make no mistakes. It was not his fault that he failed to monetize BBM as he promised.
    I simply stated facts.

And did he not, in fact, monetize BBM through licencing?
    05-20-18 02:13 PM
    I simply stated facts.

And did he not, in fact, monetize BBM through licencing?
    I guess he did, but not in the way shareholders or fans expected. What he's doing now is harvesting rather than building anything. There is a strategy behind profiting off of a business circling the drain. That seems to me what he's doing with everything except the acquisitions -- including handsets.
    05-20-18 04:48 PM
    I guess he did, but not in the way shareholders or fans expected. What he's doing now is harvesting rather than building anything. There is a strategy behind profiting off of a business circling the drain. That seems to me what he's doing with everything except the acquisitions -- including handsets.
    He's getting money for businesses that couldn't be sold before his arrival. BBM was dead long before, again BB10 accelerated this with compatible WhatsApp.
    05-20-18 07:36 PM
115 1234 ...