BBM Shows Surprising Resilience - BlackBerry Becoming A Major Messaging App Challenger

At the end of October, BBM hit 20 Million downloads on Android and iOS devices, just one week after it had debuted on Google and Apple platforms. Three weeks later, BBM is still showing astonishing traction on app download charts across the world. The theory that early interest in the app was rubbernecking can now be laid to rest.

BBM Shows Surprising Resilience - BlackBerry Becoming A Major Messaging App Challenger - Forbes
    11-19-13 10:42 AM
    Great news!! Thanks for the link!
    11-19-13 10:47 AM
    That's great news. I just hope they hurry up and push channels out of beta for us and make it public for everyone. Hopefully they can start filling in most of those features before the end of the year.
    11-19-13 10:51 AM
    BBMx Voice and Video just in time for Christmas would be perfect BlackBerry! Make it so....JLP

Posted from my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy, Superfly_FR and saxxman like this.
    11-19-13 10:54 AM
    That's great news. I just hope they hurry up and push channels out of beta for us and make it public for everyone. Hopefully they can start filling in most of those features before the end of the year.
    My theory is they're going to officially launch Channels as a cross-platform service (with or without BBM Voice/Video), though it makes you wonder if there are already people out there on iOS/Android walking around with the beta installed...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:55 AM
    At the end of October, BBM hit 20 Million downloads on Android and iOS devices, just one week after it had debuted on Google and Apple platforms. Three weeks later, BBM is still showing astonishing traction on app download charts across the world. The theory that early interest in the app was “rubbernecking” can now be laid to rest.

On November 19, BBM remains the Number One iPhone download in 27 countries and Top Five download in 50 countries. Notably, BBM reigns as the most popular app in South Africa, Nigeria, Indonesia and United Arab Emirates. These are markets where BlackBerry was the dominant smartphone three years ago. The ongoing success of BBM as an iPhone app in these countries one month after its debut would seem to indicate that the network effect still binds upscale consumers to BlackBerry software.

It’s also worth noting that BBM remains a Top Five app in Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Honduras, Ecuador and other Latin American countries. BBM is in the process of establishing itself as a strong messaging app contender across Latin America, Africa, Middle East and South East Asia

Intriguingly, BBM remains Number 9 iPhone app in India and Number 4 in the UK. This is pretty fascinating, because BlackBerry never reached mass market in India and its status in the UK started eroding badly already back in 2011. The fact that BBM is keeping even with WhatsApp download volumes in these markets would seem to indicate that there is some organic growth is taking place; this is not all about bringing old BlackBerry fans back to the fold.

It’s not all smooth sailing for BBM – the app has plunged out of Top 100 in the hotly competitive US iPhone app market. Trendy teen faves like Kik, Viber and Tango have elbowed ahead of BBM in America. Much is now riding on upcoming software updates. BBM must figure out fast how to build a compelling content delivery system to leverage its messaging system. Asian giants like LINE and WeChat are making big moves in Europe, most recently creating major download spikes in the German market.

As LINE moves closer to its massive IPO in Tokyo, the mobile industry attention is likely to swing towards messaging apps. LINE, WeChat, Kik and Tango are expanding their content distribution services to new niches like music, drawing apps and cartoons. BBM has demonstrated strong early momentum in emerging markets, but it likely needs a strong content strategy to make further inroads in the Western app markets.
    Very important to read all of the article... locations where BlackBerry has been doing well and where BBM usage is high, then BBMX is doing well. Other markets (the big ones) where BlackBerry devices are almost non existent and they is almost no BBM footprint... downloads have dropped.

Maybe with the ER the overall news will be good and they will share it with us.
    gt0520 likes this.
    11-19-13 11:00 AM
    They need to bring out channels to BB or all i don't care but bring it out of Beta
    11-19-13 11:06 AM
    Very important to read all of the article... locations where BlackBerry has been doing well and where BBM usage is high, then BBMX is doing well. Other markets (the big ones) where BlackBerry devices are almost non existent and they is almost no BBM footprint... downloads have dropped.

Maybe with the ER the overall news will be good and they will share it with us.
    This is true, though even within my circle I can see that people enjoy it, but it's just not "the next great thing" out. So I think it's doing decent, but we'll see like you said.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:49 PM
    This is true, though even within my circle I can see that people enjoy it, but it's just not "the next great thing" out. So I think it's doing decent, but we'll see like you said.

Posted via CB10
    Quite agree. Major advantage in my friends' perception is the speed though. One of my die-hard-apple-fan friends (yes I have some !) installed it by curiosity (must be an alien) after I told him about this. He never used BBM before. His first (second, actually) sentence was "darn, that's fast !".

Also, as an press editor, he was glad his whole contact address book wasn't instantly granted to disturb him. "getting contacts is a bit harsh, but I presume I'll get to it, for my very close circle of friends and first level colleagues". Hallelujah, he's in the target. May not use it as his exclusive "IM", but won't trash it neither.
    00stryder and bungaboy like this.
    11-19-13 12:58 PM
    Great News...keep it up BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:05 PM
    It would be nice if BlackBerry would crow some about how well things are going. The fact that they haven't since the 20 Million announcement has me worried that the reason they aren't is because the growth now isn't going well. Hopefully Chen changes the tone at BlackBerry because the quiet approach isn't doing anything.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-19-13 01:41 PM
    IMHO this is the most intriguing development at BBRY. I look forward to seeing if and how BBRY can monetize BBM. Lot of upside there and an opportunity to put some egg on the face of other more mature social messaging platforms.

Seems like the market doesn't think BBRY will be able to do so since the share price has declined even with these positive news stories coming out.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-19-13 01:56 PM
    It would be wise for BlackBerry to entice some exclusive BBM Channel content i.e. celebrities and journalists that would create a BBM channel and if you want to get the content, you have to get BBM and subscribe to a channel, as opposed to having the same content available on Twitter.

They could do a partnership with a large retailer (like Target) where exclusive coupons would be available only via BBM and you have to show the coupon on your device at the checkout to get the discount. Anything that can bring more non-BBM addicts onto the platform would be a good investment.
    11-19-13 02:02 PM
    It would be wise for BlackBerry to entice some exclusive BBM Channel content i.e. celebrities and journalists that would create a BBM channel and if you want to get the content, you have to get BBM and subscribe to a channel, as opposed to having the same content available on Twitter.

They could do a partnership with a large retailer (like Target) where exclusive coupons would be available only via BBM and you have to show the coupon on your device at the checkout to get the discount. Anything that can bring more non-BBM addicts onto the platform would be a good investment.
    And that's what I'm hoping they plan to do with Channels. The ability for the channel owner to open up chats for a certain amount of time would appeal to celebrities that like to get in touch with their fans on Twitter, with more privacy (no need to follow to receive DMs, and their personal pin is different from their Channel pin).

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 02:25 PM
    I think BBM is the key for BB going forward.

With the smartphone piece not working as planned, and MDM flooded with competition, BB really needs to make this work and monetize the product. The "how" is the hard part.
    11-19-13 02:39 PM
    Great news
    11-19-13 11:23 PM
    I think BBM is the key for BB going forward.

With the smartphone piece not working as planned, and MDM flooded with competition, BB really needs to make this work and monetize the product. The "how" is the hard part.
    How about QNX? No 1 and 75% market share in auto.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 07:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Based on BlackBerry's last Earning Report.... 5% came from Software and "other" revenues. I have to assume that QNX would be put in the Software category, they don't do Hardware and Service doesn't seem to fit either (and in the past others have said that was where ONX was). So if they are Sofware and they are a portion of the 5% and revenue were only 1.6 Billion.... makes it hard to see QNX being a star anytime soon.

As long as QNX is considered an embedded software and is stuck in that type of licensing arrangement.... they are never going to be a HUGE company.

BBM on the other had... has potential based on what other Messaging Services are being valued at. But this is a competitive market and they need to show that they have a product that can compete - don't really think they have to show it can bring in revenues... just that it can keep users interested. Unfortunately the tech world is full of companies that had potential and failed to deliver a product that "worked".
    11-20-13 07:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Until BBRY is more forthcoming in their breakdowns, we can't know how much QNX is actually making.
    11-20-13 08:27 AM