Bell Canada parent BCE Inc. said Thursday that selling BlackBerry Inc.�s refreshed line of smartphones during its most recent quarter helped Canada�s largest telecommunications company rein in a two-year trend of steadily climbing costs related to the addition of new customers.

Wireless providers love signing up new smartphone customers for the promise of future spending on lucrative data services, but the cost of subsidizing pricey phones like Apple Inc.�s iPhone to make them more affordable for customers makes that a double-edged sword.

George Cope, president and chief executive of the Montreal-based telecom and media giant, said that BlackBerry�s new line of BB10 phones, which require a lower subsidy than some other smartphones, helped lessen that pressure in the quarter.

�Now we have three really strong competitors back in the smartphone space, not two, and that�s obviously, as a buyer, advantageous for the consumer from the choice perspective,� Mr. Cope said, referencing BlackBerry�s increased competition with Apple and Samsung devices since the launch of its BB10 devices this year.

BCE Inc earnings rise with help from BlackBerry 10 smartphones | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    05-09-13 06:43 PM
    That is very interesting... the part that BlackBerry requires lower subsidy. Logically carrier should push BlackBerry phones!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 06:50 PM
    Bell Canada has their hand in quite a large pot of corporate business & government phone contracts so this is great to hear.
    05-09-13 08:15 PM
    Poor Windows Phone, always omitted.. (I have actually never seen one in Canada anyway)

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 08:19 PM
    Poor Windows Phone, always omitted.. (I have actually never seen one in Canada anyway)

Posted via CB10
    I saw a second one yesterday.... and I really look. I have the wandering eye for smartphones lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 08:47 PM
    Great news and artical

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 09:39 PM
    Considering how low the retail price is on the Z10 in Canada, that's particularly interesting.

(I don't know how much of that low price is due to the 3-yr contract deals that are common there. We don't have 3 yr contracts that I've ever seen here in the USA.)
    05-11-13 01:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    I saw my first one EVER (outside of the Microsoft store in Toronto) at my work this past weekend. I work retail, I see many hundreds of people daily and I always creep what phone theyre using.

I must say, simply because the WP7 phone interface was different, it looked nice. I am so sick of Apple and Android.
    05-13-13 04:24 PM