I'm about to invest in either NOK (Nokia) or BBRY (Blackberry). I know my responses will be bias, but can you guys give me some reasons to go BBRY instead of NOK?
    06-25-13 06:56 PM
    Well really this is a toss up, as both companies hit a low and are both back on the rise. If your looking at cheap stock Nokia is cheaper to buy into right now.
    06-25-13 07:17 PM
    Check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...shares-666490/

You will find a good mix of fans and realistic investors.
    06-25-13 07:33 PM
    One of the main challenges Nokia faces is actually making money off their devices. They're doing pretty well with their cheaper Lumia devices, but the problem with that is they are only making $40 per Lumia device in gross margin. BlackBerry should be making several times that with the Z10 and Q10.
    06-25-13 07:52 PM
    The NOK-MSFT is like a FWB relationship.
    06-25-13 08:05 PM
    I believe BBRY has more potential long term. I don't know of any popular Nokia services for sale. Blackberry has their services and it's getting more popular every month. And Blackberry also make more $ per phone sold.
    06-26-13 06:56 AM
    I firmly believe that NOK is in the ****ter, I'm not touching that stock with a ten foot pole.

Microsoft isn't a great strategic partner to have (IMO), Win 8 mobile doesn't seem to have the potential that BlackBerry has with BB10, BES10.1 and QnX

Posted via CB10
    Knowing Microsoft, the company already tested the waters with the Surface, so it's reasonable to believe the company is designing its own Smartphone, stripping Nokia of a competitive advantage.
    rampagingpanda likes this.
    06-26-13 09:12 AM
    Nokia has a lot of value. They generate $1B in patent revenue each year and Microsoft has been making generous donations to push their ****ty software on the world.

I'm waiting for nokia to end their ties with Microsoft before making any investments in them. I just don't see it working out.

BlackBerry is making great hardware and software themselves and they have the security and mdm solutions that are generating tons of cash for them. I belive their future looks more promising at this point.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:43 AM
    It depends on your investment horizon. If you're very short term oriented, Nokia is an interesting play since it trades between 3.00 - 4.00. However long-term the outlook doesn't look good. They don't control the development of the OS, they have lots of debt on the balance sheet, and they sell products that have very low gross margins.

The cellphone market is abit like the movie industry. If you have a blockbuster, your product cleans up while everyone else is left fighting for table scraps. As a long-term investor you have to ask yourself, does BB have the potential to reap all the rewards of a blockbuster or Nokia?
    06-26-13 10:08 AM
    Well really this is a toss up, as both companies hit a low and are both back on the rise. If your looking at cheap stock Nokia is cheaper to buy into right now.
    NOK is cheap for a reason
    06-26-13 10:13 AM
    In the short term BlackBerry looks better, they have a nice niche where they can sell 4-6 million units per quarter at high margin. Nokia can sell 7-10 million units but at low margin.

In the long term BlackBerry needs a miracle. They only produce phones for a small niche, no tablet, no pc, no tv/console. The fact that the z10 is selling less than the q10 is a catastrophe. In a couple of years the number of BB10 devices will be insignificant compared to the other big players.

Nokia is identified with Microsoft, taking 80% of the WP share. They can launch tablets, convertibles and ultrabooks taking a relevant share in those markets too. If Microsoft survives with a decent share Nokia will take a big part of that.

Look at this estimate from IDC, what is the miracle that can prevent this future?

Worldwide PC, tablet and mobile phone shipments to grow 5.9% in 2013, says Gartner
    06-26-13 08:53 PM
    In the short term BlackBerry looks better, they have a nice niche where they can sell 4-6 million units per quarter at high margin. Nokia can sell 7-10 million units but at low margin.

In the long term BlackBerry needs a miracle. They only produce phones for a small niche, no tablet, no pc, no tv/console. The fact that the z10 is selling less than the q10 is a catastrophe. In a couple of years the number of BB10 devices will be insignificant compared to the other big players.

Nokia is identified with Microsoft, taking 80% of the WP share. They can launch tablets, convertibles and ultrabooks taking a relevant share in those markets too. If Microsoft survives with a decent share Nokia will take a big part of that.

Look at this estimate from IDC, what is the miracle that can prevent this future?

Worldwide PC, tablet and mobile phone shipments to grow 5.9% in 2013, says Gartner
    ... Don't want to be the one to respond to trolling, but I was thinking that if you can truly stick around here for the next 10 Months, we that believe in BlackBerry can take all the letters that you just typed, put them into a bowl of milk, and present it back to you to eat.

Time will tell, right?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:34 PM
    BlackBerry earns money from many verticals, has no debt and -- importantly -- controls its own destiny.

Nokia is drowning in debt, making little money from few sources, and beholden to a business partner with a long history of screwing over its business partners.

But you could probably make some short term gains with NOK.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:38 PM