"BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSX:BB), a world leader in the mobile communications market, today announced that the Company’s Board of Directors has formed a Special Committee to explore strategic alternatives to enhance value and increase scale in order to accelerate BlackBerry 10 deployment. These alternatives could include, among others, possible joint ventures, strategic partnerships or alliances, a sale of the Company or other possible transactions."

This is not good news when they use works like "a of the company" in their press release. It tells the share holders the company is on the brink of bankruptcy and they have been lying to the media and their shareholders just how much money they have on hand. This will of course come out in the coming weeks just how much they lied.
    As skeptical as I am about BlackBerry's future success, I didn't infer anywhere that they are low on cash or use of the word bankruptcy.
    08-12-13 08:04 AM
    I am putting my bright orange Naive Cap on right now, but they couldn't dare lie about cash, could they?
    Stranger things have happened, but I seriously doubt it.

But if you want to make up a good rumor, maybe that's why Prem left the board. To distance himself from BBRY.
    08-12-13 08:04 AM
    I don't Watson would resign merely because Fairfax has large shareholdings. The "conflict" would be if Fairfax were to be make an offer for BlackBerry as a whole. Then he would be in a conflict because he is both the potential buyer and a director who is to consider the offer.

I think the announcement of the formation of the special committee means some things had changed. My guess is that "something" is an offer from Fairfax (and CPP if I were to venture a further guess) that the Board must now consider.

Posted via CB10
    alan510 and David in Durham like this.
    08-12-13 08:10 AM
    I am putting my bright orange Naive Cap on right now, but they couldn't dare lie about cash, could they?
    "BB10 is coming to the PlayBook",,, "we've had our greatest launch ever",,, "sales are fantastic",,, the future is bright, we have a ton of cash, & are debt free...
    ekv, Blacklatino, Acidwire and 3 others like this.
    08-12-13 08:14 AM
    They hired the bankers last year to look for a strategic partner. The stock was ~$6. Today, the stock will be over $10, BB10 hasn't done well, and the company appears a mess. Why would someone buy now?
    08-12-13 08:15 AM
    "BB10 is coming to the PlayBook",,, "we've had our greatest launch ever",,, "sales are fantastic",,, the future is bright, we have a ton of cash, & are debt free...
    Touche LOL
    SEAWARRIOR and Nanker Phelge like this.
    08-12-13 08:17 AM
    They hired the bankers last year to look for a strategic partner. The stock was ~$6. Today, the stock will be over $10, BB10 hasn't done well, and the company appears a mess. Why would someone buy now?
    BlackBerry buyout unlikely - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blogTerm Sheet
    08-12-13 08:18 AM
    So what if fairfax buy them they go private what does this change?? Still have to sell phones just running away from public.What makes any of this good?? In the same problems just more money??.What a mess this **** has gotten.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-12-13 08:18 AM
    Time to cover shorts. The smart money shorts have covered and went long or bought calls.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 08:19 AM
    This can turn out to be a very good move,and a horrible move... it depends..
    08-12-13 08:19 AM
    This can turn out to be a very good move,and a horrible move... it depends..
    please elaborate? All this means bad times in my mind i keep thinking my phone will turn off.and thats that off too feature phone.
    08-12-13 08:21 AM
    I seriously doubt they lied about the cash. Jail time is not worth the risk.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 08:28 AM
    please elaborate? All this means bad times in my mind i keep thinking my phone will turn off.and thats that off too feature phone.
    Not that immediate.

But I AM worried about my BES.
    Last edited by Kris Simundson; 08-12-13 at 09:19 AM.
    Sith_Apprentice and TommyBB like this.
    08-12-13 08:29 AM
    I seriously doubt they lied about the cash. Jail time is not worth the risk.

Posted via CB10
    isn't Lazardis currently under investigation for some kind of stock manipulation/fraud???
    08-12-13 08:33 AM
    isn't Lazardis currently under investigation for some kind of stock manipulation/fraud???
    RIMM had a problem back in 2009, I haven't heard anything recently.

SEC Investigation into Options Fraud of Former RIM Executives Illustrates Need for Robust Email Management - Estorian LookingGlass
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    08-12-13 08:40 AM
    IF you were a network admin looking for new smartphones for your company, would you recommend BBRY today? I think the uncertainty has to hurt them.
    21stNow, kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    08-12-13 09:17 AM
    CNBC and Bloomberg love taking shots at BlackBerry even after taking their advertising dollars.

I like Tom Keene & Joe Kernen except for the constant digs/smirks at an innovative company that is not expecting anything extra for advertising on their shows/channels but fair coverage.

BlackBerry has had to grin and bear it...they need to advertise to business professionals, a core customer base. BB10 will end the joking...in time.

Peugeot 505 STI Peugeot 405 Mi16 Honda s2000...Chevrolet Corvette C7
    Lol business professionals. You people are still stuck in 2005. This is why this Co pay has issues. Their own users limit their exposures and word or mouth advertising for BB is of far worse quality than other platforms. The users are a big part of the problem. Many people reading this firm walk away discouraged from buying a BB device because BB's own users continue to marginalize the products and act like they are one trick ponies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-12-13 09:20 AM
    Thread closed for cleaning, because you people don't know how to keep things on topic
    08-12-13 09:22 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    08-12-13 09:24 AM
    Stranger things have happened, but I seriously doubt it.

But if you want to make up a good rumor, maybe that's why Prem left the board. To distance himself from BBRY.
    There cash on hand is on their balance sheet in their publically audited financial statements. If that was a lie, then lots of folks go to jail for a long time. And that would include their auditors with no real skin in the game unless they can prove that they were duped. It is very hard to dupe professional auditors about the presence of a billion plus dollars.

So no, the had the cash they said they had at the end of last quarter.
    08-12-13 09:29 AM
    Patents, BES10, BBM, Cash, Hardware, QNX... The future potential of this company is quite big if you ask me.
    mset likes this.
    08-12-13 10:04 AM
    Patents, BES10, BBM, Cash, Hardware, QNX... The future potential of this company is quite big if you ask me.
    Well, hopefully there will be a buyer or buyers out there who agree. Since the stock is only moving based on this news, it would seem to be the only hope and last gasp.
    08-12-13 10:06 AM
    Patents are a weird one right now. Google has found that out with Motorola.
    BES10 and BBM have great potential in saturated markets.
    QNX, although exceptional, hasn't made that much money.
    Hardware? I personally believe they swung and missed, although some still think the Z30 is their hail mary.

Enough sports metaphors for you?
    08-12-13 10:08 AM
    What does it mean that stocks trading was halted? As on they stopped ppl from buying/selling?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:14 AM
    no PB update, Z10 + Q5 sales are a joke, no support, no advertising, no innovation, bbm is now cross platform, bb is collapsing, time to move ...
    08-12-13 10:17 AM
117 1234 ...