View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    “Never fall in love with a stock” (Wall Street adage)

Investors often fall in love with stocks that increase in value or pay good dividends. “Never fall in love with a stock” is a Wall Street adage cited in print from at least the 1950s. When a stock ceases to perform well, investors must be quick to fall out of “love” and to sell the stock.
    Very likely one of the explanation of the up/down since earning calls. One must have this in mind, you're right.
    But (you know it'll be a "but", don't you? ), for tiny "investors" like some of us, the in/out strategy is very difficult to handle, due to fees.
    I must say I could have make some money if I had larger amounts, while I'm also playing with the €/$ parity ... but there too, fees are ruining the story.
    Plus, that does not match with my "stupid feeling" of taking somehow "a part in the adventure" ... still that's not love, just excitement.
    01-03-13 02:27 AM
    That is still being very optimistic! If RIM all of a sudden delays the BB10 devices or worst they introduce them with a problem . . . well there are no guarantees!
    01-03-13 05:13 AM
    That is still being very optimistic! If RIM all of a sudden delays the BB10 devices or worst they introduce them with a problem . . . well there are no guarantees!
    They won't delay. There will likely be a "problem" somewhere (as any other new OS+device release - and for some, updates lol).
    On that point, I've no fear, I don't need optimism
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    01-03-13 06:17 AM
    They won't delay. There will likely be a "problem" somewhere (as any other new OS+device release - and for some, updates lol).
    On that point, I've no fear, I don't need optimism
    A very wise man told me once that "the odds of success are never improved by excessive caution."
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    01-03-13 08:32 AM
    A very wise man told me once that "the odds of success are never improved by excessive caution."
    someone told me "don't jump off the top of tall buildings"

Caution is needed when dealing with a stock like RIM! I bet most of you are checking it regularly and have alerts or even sell orders entered if it falls a certain %.
    01-03-13 09:37 AM
    someone told me "don't jump off the top of tall buildings"

Caution is needed when dealing with a stock like RIM! I bet most of you are checking it regularly and have alerts or even sell orders entered if it falls a certain %.
    That's wise advice too, but what if you are wearing a safety harness and there are cushion apparatus surrounding the tall building and your job is a stuntman for a Mission Impossible movie? Would you jump?
    01-03-13 09:49 AM
    The stock is at $11.68 right now. Could anyone who has more expertise about stocks enlighten us on the reason for it not going up? I could understand the "correction" in December, when it reached $14. Now, the stock seems to be being played for some people to do some multiple dipping.
    chrysaurora likes this.
    01-03-13 11:53 AM
    The stock is at $11.68 right now. Could anyone who has more expertise about stocks enlighten us on the reason for it not going up? I could understand the "correction" in December, when it reached $14. Now, the stock seems to be being played for some people to do some multiple dipping.
    Make that $11.53!

There is no reason, it is just RIMM
    01-03-13 02:14 PM
    Ouch i lost so much money today...
    Hang ten.
    01-03-13 03:25 PM
    Ouch i lost so much money today...
    only way to counteract is to buy more. haha
    BThunderW likes this.
    01-03-13 03:26 PM
    As I posted before, don't sweat the daily/weekly price swings. Just leave the stock alone. Come back in June. First post-launch ER will be out. If you still have some cash you want to plunk down, now is a good time to buy in.
    BBNation and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-03-13 05:05 PM
    3.5 wks left til launch. share was down even global rally yesterday.
    Of course, it was tipped off today too. Whats really going on?
    some major pessimism about bb10 is spreading?
    01-03-13 05:47 PM
    3.5 wks left til launch. share was down even global rally yesterday.
    Of course, it was tipped off today too. Whats really going on?
    some major pessimism about bb10 is spreading?
    I'd say that it is just the typical bouncing around that stocks do. RIM is a pretty volatile stock to begin with. I don't think you can read much into changes of a few percent either way.

Volumes have been pretty low and there has been no major news recently, so I think a lot of people may be in wait and see mode.
    Superfly_FR and OMGitworks like this.
    01-03-13 06:07 PM
    I guess institutions are statying away or something as volume is not making the avg number. It will be intresting to see the latest short ratio and how many institutions are still buying/selling
    01-03-13 08:42 PM
    I have a iPhone with an expired contract, and also have a iPad 2. I am becoming a believer that RIm will rise again in 2013, so much so I brought a lot of RIM shares and will buy BB10 when it comes available!
    01-04-13 01:15 AM
    my target is $15 by launch..RIM just needs to lanuch it without glitches..the consumers will do the rest..just need to sell 40 millions in entire year to be profitable..they sold 7 mil BB7 in the latest quarter with almost no us/canada growth so 10 mil quarter will not be issue.
    01-04-13 01:26 AM
    RIMM is going to waffle around UNTIL the launch...as shorts are resolved...UNLESS some piece of information (positive OR negative) becomes public and then RIMM will move again

But it is fascinating that RIMM did NOT benefit from the fiscal cliff agreement jump that most other stocks did...

But it is still ahead of the SP500 index funds for the last 3 months...
    01-04-13 02:58 AM
    my target is $15 by launch..RIM just needs to lanuch it without glitches..the consumers will do the rest..just need to sell 40 millions in entire year to be profitable..they sold 7 mil BB7 in the latest quarter with almost no us/canada growth so 10 mil quarter will not be issue.
    $12 is the fair value for the stock

RIM Fairly Valued At $12 As BB10 Launch Around The Corner -- Trefis
    01-04-13 03:12 AM
    Many are just concerned when the stock market rallies and RIMM goes into the toilet with out any particular bad news.

It takes a strong stomach to inverts in RIMM, I am in but out near $3k after yesterday.
    01-04-13 03:35 AM
    They make some assumptions that I don't agree with. This is probably since they place a lot of emphasis on trends, while seemingly failing to account for the effect of a major launch like BB10 to shift those trends.

For example, they're using a 2013 ASP of $223 and shipments of 30 million units. That's pretty similar to the results from the most recent quarter extrapolated over a full year.

However, I'd have to think that BB7 + BB10 combined sales will be well above 30 million. As well, the ASP for BB10 should be above $400, pushing the combined ASP higher with any significant amount of sales.
    01-04-13 03:57 AM
    For example, they're using a 2013 ASP of $223
    From my information (major European carrier) ASP will be around 400-450 ... see what I mean ?
    01-04-13 04:04 AM
    But it is fascinating that RIMM did NOT benefit from the fiscal cliff agreement jump that most other stocks did...
    It's actually not that surprising. RIM is a Canadian company, the fiscal cliff wouldn't affect it as much. The semi-positive news on the fiscal cliff vote had zero impact on RIM.
    01-04-13 08:09 AM
    $15 by launch would make me happy: I just picked up another 4 feb calls at $12... With the outstanding short interest sitting around 25% of float, i'm hoping they start covering before launch.
    01-04-13 08:55 AM
    who here has 6 figures or more invested in RIMM stock?
    01-04-13 10:15 AM
    I really don't like the way the stock is performing this last week or so. Down in up markets, is $12 putting in a base to launch from or is it resistance and a top???? Worries me that the big guys may have bought the rumor and are starting to sell the news. The shorts are mostly OK here, no need to panic for most of them, especially if they rode the gap up from 12 to 14. I also worry about what great things might happen come Jan 30th that cause a real pop? I hope they are great phones as I plan on getting one, and that it gets good press coverage and reviews, and I also hope you all do well with the stock, but I don't have the stomach for it. At this point I am just not sure how much upside you can expect from the launch, I think a solid, but not spectacular launch is baked in already and sales numbers won't be know for a few months thereafter. Have a great weekend!
    01-04-13 10:20 AM
113,250 ... 5859606162 ...