View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Also I went to a Bell store today and they said they would have them in stock tomorrow (today now I suppose...late night) but he said all of the white Z10's they were getting are completely spoken for.
    02-05-13 03:35 AM
    Pre-market: 15.60 +0.62 (4.12%)

Wow it just won't quit! Hopefully we see a short squeeze soon with all this positive press.
    austriker and bungaboy like this.
    02-05-13 03:40 AM
    The flip to what I was saying yesterday about the puzzling lack of signs that we associate with demand - a couple of carriers in the UK have just whacked �70 on the SIM-only price of the Z10 - I'll take that as an positive acknowledge of demand.
    Nindia and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-05-13 04:20 AM
    Pre-market: 15.75 +0.77 (5.13%)
    Feb 5, 5:32AM EST

This thing is trading as if the markets are open...lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-05-13 04:48 AM
    Pre-market: 15.81 +0.83 (5.53%)

Fingers crossed for a short squeeze soon
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-05-13 04:50 AM
    At some point in time, the analysts have to realize that BlackBerry will be somewhat successful, at least. That it is not going anywhere.
    02-05-13 06:10 AM
    Wow I almost bought calls at 16 yesterday. Dang
    02-05-13 06:13 AM
    Apparently Thor said on BNN that the white Z10 is sold out in the UK. That is if you believe random tweets
    02-05-13 06:36 AM
    Pre-market: 15.81 +0.83 (5.53%)

Fingers crossed for a short squeeze soon
    At $15.50 right now
    02-05-13 06:59 AM
    Apparently Thor said on BNN that the white Z10 is sold out in the UK. That is if you believe random tweets
    Sounds like the resupply places were talking about getting in on Monday were all black then. And that means that those did not sell out.
    02-05-13 07:00 AM
    In the Globe and Mail last night.

How to assess RIM’s turnaround

CHRIS UMIASTOWSKI
    Special to The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Feb. 04 2013, 8:15 PM EST
    Last updated Monday, Feb. 04 2013, 8:15 PM EST

Chris Umiastowski is the growth investor for Globe Investor’s Strategy Lab. Follow his contributions here and view his model portfolio here.

Research In Motion has a new name and a new product line. Now it’s enjoying something equally novel – positive reviews.

Shares in the smartphone maker jumped 15 per cent on Monday after Bernstein Research upgraded the stock to “outperform” following last week’s unveiling of the company’s new BlackBerry 10 phones.

As I write this I’ve been using my new BlackBerry Z10 non-stop for five days and I’m impressed. The new BB 10 operating system is stunning, fast, and powerful.

But does all of this make the company a good investment? The company, which is in the process of changing its legal name to BlackBerry, has turned an important corner, but I’m not convinced it will return to heady days of double-digit growth any time soon.

The manufacturer’s biggest problem is the need to win over the armies of buyers who have flocked to Apple and Samsung. In the three months to last November, BlackBerry accounted for a mere 7.3 per cent of smartphone subscribers in the United States, according to ComScore.

Until last week, BlackBerry had been bleeding market share and its sales and profitability were nosediving. Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, a market research firm, estimates that the company accounted for a mere 1.4 per cent of U.S. smartphone sales in the 12 weeks ended Nov. 25. That was down from 7 per cent a year earlier – quite the collapse.

The Z10 may help to turn the tide. Sales of the new device are off to a strong start in the U.K. and Canada, the two countries where it debuted first. Analysts are reporting several British stores had lineups for the product and many stores have no stock left. In Canada, preorders have been reported as being very strong, with about half of all orders coming from non-BlackBerry customers.

The question is whether BlackBerry will be able to translate hardware sales into profits. My guess is these new devices can eventually generate a 30 per cent gross margin – the difference between the price at which BlackBerry will sell the units and its cost to make the devices. However, it will take some time for volumes to scale high enough to generate that level of profit.

While that’s happening, the company will face threats to other parts of its business model. Right now, BlackBerry brings in roughly $4-billion (U.S.) per year in revenue from service fees it charges the phone companies that carry its products. That service business has historically delivered very high margins – a reflection of the fact that many of the carrier deals were negotiated back when Research In Motion was the only smartphone game in town.

Those lush profits could soon be a thing of the past. Rival handset manufacturers, like Apple and Samsung, don’t charge phone carriers a similar service fee, so phone companies are well positioned to drive a much harder bargain with BlackBerry as the transition to BB 10 takes place. If BlackBerry wants carriers to stock its new devices, it will have to settle for lower fees.

If the service fees were to drop by half, that would knock about $3 per share off BlackBerry’s earnings per share. But if BlackBerry can replace 20 million of the older devices it currently sells at break-even prices with an equivalent number of the Z10 units at 30 per cent gross margin, it would gain about $5 per share in earnings.

If everything works out according to my calculations, BlackBerry stands to gain a substantial amount from its shift to the new devices. For investors, the problem is that the two driving forces – increasing hardware margins and decreasing BlackBerry service fees – will proceed at different paces. The boost from higher hardware margins will happen very quickly while the drag from lower service fees will play out over a longer period.

How that all works out is difficult to predict. I’ve owned shares in the company since 1999 and I’m considering adding to my position, but if anyone is considering doing the same, I would counsel them on the need for patience. BlackBerry is a much better company than it used to be but this turnaround is still a work in progress.
    02-05-13 07:06 AM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    white is sold out at ROGERS!
    02-05-13 07:11 AM
    Again, let me cast same question this morning please.
    I bought some shares yesterday. but lost right timing and price.
    I put $13.30 limit order before market opened yesterday. Of course not filled.
    Now pre-market quote $15.59. How can I pick as best price?
    How about $15.30 limit or just set as market price? Thanks!
    02-05-13 07:26 AM
    Again, let me cast same question this morning please.
    I bought some shares yesterday. but lost right timing and price.
    I put $13.30 limit order before market opened yesterday. Of course not filled.
    Now pre-market quote $15.59. How can I pick as best price?
    How about $15.30 limit or just set as market price? Thanks!
    Market price. At this point just get it as quick as possible bc it's not going to pull back for awhile.
    02-05-13 07:30 AM
    Anecdotal reports in other threads of lines forming in Canada - which is very good news, hopefully we get some photos soon to confirm.
    02-05-13 07:31 AM
    Greatly appreciate your tip. I already set up as market price.
    02-05-13 07:41 AM
    I just called my dealer (Bell Mobility) they are sold out! He had 40 phones. Now this is in a Town of less that 3000 people!!!

Called Future Shop store 120 km away . . . . . only 1 Rogers phone left.

This is less than 1/2 hour after opening!
    02-05-13 08:08 AM
    Well guys and gals. This is what we've been waiting for. It only gets better from here.
    02-05-13 08:13 AM
    2.5 million shares traded pre-market. So far.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-05-13 08:22 AM
    Well guys and gals. This is what we've been waiting for. It only gets better from here.

Is it too late to buy bb stocks at the current price? missed yesterday..do not wann miss todayh
    02-05-13 08:22 AM
    will today be the day that the shorts surrender to the former RIM-pire? is it time for them to drink the blackberry Kool-aid and admit that its not poisoned? heck yeah!!

Woot Woot!
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-05-13 08:25 AM
    Shut up you troll. I doubt there are line up since just in Toronto alone you have HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of retial outlets that consumers can pick from. Also if you were like me and pre-ordered a Z10 that will be mailed right to my front door. The fact is the Z10 demand is huge. The white phones are sold out and they haven't even come out yet.
    Wow. Give the troll crap a rest will ya. I read the thread he's talking about.
    02-05-13 08:28 AM
    Buy on the dips. It's never too late for long term.

Is it too late to buy bb stocks at the current price? missed yesterday..do not wann miss todayh
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-05-13 08:28 AM
    Your on your own bud....my wife was watching me with this stock the last five months, I was getting some pretty impressive gains so she bought in a week ago...yup, market...paid over 18.00 a share....guess what happened The Day She Bought......lets just say it was a "cool" week around here lol. She is cheering up though..
    02-05-13 08:31 AM
    or at least put a in to show you are joking!
    02-05-13 08:34 AM
113,250 ... 157158159160161 ...