View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No, it's not opposite. It's indeed buy and hold above 5dma and sell right when it drops below 5dma. Look at Morgan's chart, notice when it goes up, it goes up for a few days and when it goes down, it goes down for a few days. This "5dma" rule is just predicting the price trend. Nothing really special at all. It however cannot predict peaks and valleys, so you're not going to be selling at the highest points or buying at the lowest points. You will however be buying close enough to make some profit. OR just buy it and sit on it.
    Okay. Thanks.
    Is there a site where I can see 5 DMA for BBRY and BB.TO? Other than charts posted by Morganplus8 here. I usually use finance.google.com but can't figure out how to make it show me 5 DMA.

So far I have NOT traded at all. Too afraid to sell and miss the big rally (short squeeze). But I am now thinking that I will start trading with 25% of my shares based on 5 DMA as Morganplus8 does. If I miss on a big rally (short squeeze), then I'd atleast still have half of my stocks in the game.
    Now, just need to know where to watch 5DMA and how to use it properly
    02-14-13 10:30 AM
    02-14-13 10:33 AM
    yes a tutorial or a simple explanation for us newbies of what this DMA stuff is would be great!
    02-14-13 10:33 AM
    One option for the chart is to use BBRY - SharpCharts Workbench - StockCharts.com and manually add it in Overlays (below the chart), with Moving Avg and Parameters=5. At least, I think that's what you want.
    02-14-13 10:34 AM
    why is this the most volatile stock I have ever ever owned? I would probably say that even the most seasoned investor would have a case of the nerves by now. Even if you are long it still got to bring stress. I don't think i have ever seen a stock in my life go up and down this much this long, i mean the percentages per day change is staggering. I am in 4000 shares but what kills me the most is I am playing something i cant even buy, because att sucks. Its like s&m here, the longs hurt the shorts then the shorts hurt the longs over and over. its like being married love and hate, fight makeup then fight then make up over and over and over. I think I watch less drama movies now due to what ppl have done to this stock. I am hoping for some stabilization after the next 3-5 months.
    02-14-13 10:35 AM
    [QUOTE=Andrew4life;
    No, it's not opposite. It's indeed buy and hold above 5dma and sell right when it drops below 5dma. Look at Morgan's chart, notice when it goes up, it goes up for a few days and when it goes down, it goes down for a few days. This "5dma" rule is just predicting the price trend. Nothing really special at all. It however cannot predict peaks and valleys, so you're not going to be selling at the highest points or buying at the lowest points. You will however be buying close enough to make some profit. OR just buy it and sit on it.[/QUOTE]

I like what you are saying here:

It causes reversals, rather than guessing as so many do, it tells you to hold onto your position longer, it tells you when to buy but it isn't the only thing we use. The RSI of 70/30 is another indicator as I have mentioned so many times. You need to follow a series of basic rules in order to place your orders right. The channel is king until it isn't, the RSI is a warning sign that things aren't going to hold on their own soon, the list goes on. I could go into much more detail but I would rather get as many people on board, thinking about both the TA trends and the prospects for the company itself. I hold an MBA and use it to study the fundamentals of the company, I then look at the TA to see what the general market thinks of the trade, and away I go. At some point, like today's Key-Reversal, I'll add to the sauce and give others more to think about. The only reason I post here is I like the positive attitude everyone has, even though we have bad days like this one was, we are able to work through it and trade for profits. GL
    Last edited by morganplus8; 02-14-13 at 02:06 PM.
    02-14-13 10:40 AM
    No, it's not opposite. It's indeed buy and hold above 5dma and sell right when it drops below 5dma. Look at Morgan's chart, notice when it goes up, it goes up for a few days and when it goes down, it goes down for a few days. This "5dma" rule is just predicting the price trend. Nothing really special at all. It however cannot predict peaks and valleys, so you're not going to be selling at the highest points or buying at the lowest points. You will however be buying close enough to make some profit. OR just buy it and sit on it.
    So, does this mean BUY at 15.17 and sell when it's less than 15.17? Doesn't that sound like a loss?
    (see chart below):
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-5dma.jpg

One option for the chart is to use BBRY - SharpCharts Workbench - StockCharts.com and manually add it in Overlays (below the chart), with Moving Avg and Parameters=5. At least, I think that's what you want.
    Thanks!
    02-14-13 10:42 AM
    why is this the most volatile stock I have ever ever owned?
    As a rookie, my answer is :
    Because, on one hand, you've got shorts that bet on failure and on another hand, you've got long that bet on (huge) comeback.
    We're talking about a 1 ($6 ?) to 10 ($60 ?) ratio ... and that's huge money here, no one wants to miss it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-14-13 10:42 AM
    I'm still getting news updates that say bbry is down 6.6% after 11 am. What the **** it's up 2%. Something is wrong with the news system
    02-14-13 10:43 AM
    Okay. Thanks.
    Is there a site where I can see 5 DMA for BBRY and BB.TO? Other than charts posted by Morganplus8 here. I usually use finance.google.com but can't figure out how to make it show me 5 DMA.
    If you want to see a 5dma for yahoo, go to technical indicators, select simple moving average, fill in 5.

Or, \/ \/ \/ \/ This \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
    02-14-13 10:44 AM
    I'm still getting news updates that say bbry is down 6.6% after 11 am. What the **** it's up 2%. Something is wrong with the news system
    Ballsilie dumped all his shares, maybe that's why?
    02-14-13 10:45 AM
    why is this the most volatile stock I have ever ever owned? I would probably say that even the most seasoned investor would have a case of the nerves by now. Even if you are long it still got to bring stress. I don't think i have ever seen a stock in my life go up and down this much this long, i mean the percentages per day change is staggering. I am in 4000 shares but what kills me the most is I am playing something i cant even buy, because att sucks. Its like s&m here, the longs hurt the shorts then the shorts hurt the longs over and over. its like being married love and hate, fight makeup then fight then make up over and over and over. I think I watch less drama movies now due to what ppl have done to this stock. I am hoping for some stabilization after the next 3-5 months.
    I say pull Kurt Russell out of retirement and do a remake of Wall Street but use BB stock as the principal target...I can see it now..."this film is based on true real life events"
    02-14-13 10:47 AM
    So, does this mean BUY at 15.17 and sell when it's less than 15.17? Doesn't that sound like a loss?
    Well, remember, the 5dma changes every day. Look at Feb 11. Notice how the stock drops below the 5dma on that day. That is where you sell. The next few days the stock continues down and till today it's still going down and is still below the 5-dma. When it goes above the 5dma, that is where you buy. (Notice on Jan 14, the stock goes above the 5dma and it keeps going up.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is not going to get you in on the valleys and get you out at the peaks. There is always a 1-2 day delay, but with BlackBerry being so volatile, you're still making money.
    The 5dma rule doesn't always work. Especially for more stable stocks.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-14-13 10:49 AM
    Enterprises can't rely on an OS that constantly disrupts productivity. Forget BYOD and iOS, they need to upgrade to BB10. See the cases below.

AOL shutting down meeting service due to iOS 6.1 issues AOL shutting down meeting service due to iOS 6.1 issues - TodaysiPhone.com

Microsoft suggests fix for iOS 6.1/Exchange problem: Block iPhone users Microsoft suggests fix for iOS 6.1/Exchange problem: Block iPhone users | Ars Technica
    Tom689, bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    02-14-13 11:00 AM
    I like what you are saying here:

It calls reversals, rather than guessing as so many do, it tells you to hold onto your position longer, it tells you when to buy but it isn't the only thing we use. The RSI of 70/30 is another indicator as I have mentioned so many times. You need to follow a series of basic rules in order to place your orders right. The channel is king until it isn't, the RSI is a warning sign that things aren't going to hold on their own soon, the list goes on. I could go into much more detail but I would rather get as many people on board, thinking about both the TA trends and the prospects for the company itself. I hold an MBA and use it to study the fundamentals of the company, I then look at the TA to see what the general market thinks of the trade, and away I go. At some point, like today's Key-Reversal, I'll add to the sauce and give others more to think about. The only reason I post here is I like the positive attitude everyone has, even though we have bad days like this one was, we are able to work through it and trade for profits. GL
    Quick question - with the RSI, what period do you generally assess it at? I've been using 60, but that's more out of habit than anything else.
    02-14-13 11:01 AM
    Yeah it's fascinating, look at that chart and the 5dma looks flawless.

Guys we're up to 14.70 +5%
    02-14-13 11:01 AM
    Anyone who bought at $13 this morning is one happy camper. Up to $14.80 now.
    14% gain in 3 hours

Microsoft suggests fix for iOS 6.1/Exchange problem: Block iPhone users Microsoft suggests fix for iOS 6.1/Exchange problem: Block iPhone users | Ars Technica
    Most hilarious bug ever:
    Last year, iOS 6.0.1 fixed an Exchange problem that could lead to entire meetings being canceled when even a single iOS user declined a meeting invitation.
    It's like: I don't want to attend, so EVERYONE IS DENIED! Muhahahah
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-14-13 11:05 AM
    guys, we must remain calm, don't you know that ?

hhhhhhoooooooooollllyyyyyyyyShhhhhheeeeeeeeppppp !
    (I'm human, after all lol)
    02-14-13 11:08 AM
    In my sick and twisted head, i was thinking about buying more stock this morning but new i would have to wait for bank to open cuz i was going to buy a good chunk. I was also hoping it would hold low till my account funded, oh well even if it went up early i am still very happy, although another thousand shares would have been nice to have early this morning. i think morganplus8 picked up some more. if so congrats! you are happily in the money! And I do thank you for taking the time to explain the models you use for your analysis, its a different way of looking at stocks for me and it will carry over into my future investments.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-14-13 11:09 AM
    (see chart below):
    Thanks!
    I only have a moment but I'll take a run at your question here. Note this chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-feb-14a-2013-chart.jpg

I'll explain how you trade this chart. If the stock stays within the channel, you buy at the uptrend line (lower line) and sell at the upper line. Its that simple, you get out when the RSI is above 70 and the stock is at the top of the channel. You can short the stock, buy puts on the stock, anything you want, you might wait until it confirms the trend change before starting a short position too, that would be the close below the 5-dma. A stock can trade outside the bounds for an hour, sometimes a day, but, it must quickly get back into its former trading pattern in order to cause a failure of trend change. You need to look for this as this is how many investors lose their money. They see the stock below the uptrend line and panic, guys like me buy your stock. We know that less than 25% of these trades get confirmed.

So you have this chart, what do you do now? You don't wait until it is above the 5-dma to start your position, you look for support, see it confirm support, look for the 5-dma to be nearby and setup the trade. You would buy, like many are doing now, based upon the action, we dipped down, blew out the weak, found a bottom, backed up a bit and found no sellers, move up to see if there was something sitting just below the 50-dma, there wasn't so we blew above that huge support line and turned the trade into a screaming buy, all of this below the 5-dma. Now, you see the 5-dma, you see we are back in the channel, we are also well above the 50-dma and the clock is ticking against the shorts, you start your position. Don't follow me, I'm wild with my trades because I can back them up with more trades. You likely can't keep coming back for more punishment! Ha! I can.

So this morning I put a series of trades in to catch the bottom, I got filled on plenty of them but not all, that's fine for me. The stock sits in the middle of a very important formation so go to your website and duplicate this chart. You will notice that the downtrend line formed over the past week is very close to getting broken to the upside. The 5-dma sits just above this line and we are looking at it now. This is amazing and a great lesson for all of us on what a key-reversal looks like. It occurs on bad news, TA breakdowns and huge volume, and it is WRONG!!! The stock shouldn't be dropping on this kind of input.

So mark the slope of that recent downward move and watch the stock to see if it can close at or above that breakout line. We could be looking at a $ 2.00/shr move very soon here. The reason is that the bulls have just kicked the bears to the curb. One more thing, I mentioned that the stock just has to close near that downward sloping line, and guess what? The next day we gap above it and rally $ 2.00/shr. The biggest gain will come when it takes out that line. One round to the bulls. Good luck!!!
    02-14-13 11:09 AM
    Gutted is not the word. I was going to buy some more shares when I saw it was at $12 something, I come home from Uni and it's $14 + ! !!!
    Tom689 likes this.
    02-14-13 11:14 AM
    Morganplus8 : I'm out of thanks button, please find some right here for such pedagogic and insightful inputs ...
    morganplus8, Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    02-14-13 11:16 AM
    This is more intense than that time Goku turned Super Saiyen.
    02-14-13 11:16 AM
    This is more intense than that time Goku turned Super Saiyen.
    You're talking about the very first time, right? Right after Krillin died?
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    02-14-13 11:20 AM
    You're talking about the very first time, right? Right after Krillin died?
    i think you are right there lol in the frieza saga
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    02-14-13 11:21 AM
113,250 ... 208209210211212 ...