View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    blackberry 10 now available in US...but for a steep price. Contract free, unlocked for $999 woah
    02-11-13 10:38 AM
    Reading this thread, seems like a lot of people think BBRY is a stock you can make EASY money.
    THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

I would say with my limited stocks/options knowledge, it is pretty much a gamble (you have no idea how successful BB10 is without raw numbers and without a USA release yet). This stock is ALL over the place and has no solid resistance points like many other stocks. It moves on no news and on pure manipulation sometimes. This stock is not for the feint of heart.

I repeat, THIS STOCK IS NOT FOR THE FEINT OF HEART.

If you are watching this stock on the daily (I do, but because I want to extend my position and I don't really cringe when I see red), then this stock is not for you. This stock will move up and down as it pleases and is probably the most volatile stock out there at the moment (undervalued but has a lot betting on BB10).

Point: it made a $1 move intraday with no news....that is complete volatility. Don't invest money you can't afford to lose!

That's great information. If I sound like I'm investing mucho monies, that's not the case. I'm playing with very few shares just to learn. I definately can't afford to throw money out the window. I sure hope people are doing the right thing and not put themselves at risk. This is just for fun for me.
    02-11-13 10:44 AM
    blackberry 10 now available in US...but for a steep price. Contract free, unlocked for $999 woah

Where did you see this? I'd like to check it out too.
    02-11-13 10:45 AM
    02-11-13 10:47 AM
    Where did you see this? I'd like to check it out too.
    Its on crackberrys main page as well as other tech news sources. I think bgr might have broken it first, not sure.

That's great information. If I sound like I'm investing mucho monies, that's not the case. I'm playing with very few shares just to learn. I definately can't afford to throw money out the window. I sure hope people are doing the right thing and not put themselves at risk. This is just for fun for me.
    Also think its very important to remind people DO NOT invest with funds you need anytime soon. Also I think there's a huge distinction between "investing" (ie long term for growth etc) and "trading" (playing the weekly options or trading in and out of the stock itself which is hard to do without tons of capital).. that being said the options on bbry are very interesting because of the huge swings
    02-11-13 10:49 AM
    Also think its very important to remind people DO NOT invest with funds you need anytime soon. Also I think there's a huge distinction between "investing" (ie long term for growth etc) and "trading" (playing the weekly options or trading in and out of the stock itself which is hard to do without tons of capital).. that being said the options on bbry are very interesting because of the huge swings

Completely agree with the second part. Lately I have realized that I am used to trade, instead of invest... BBRY now is so painful for me. I know I should hold it for a long term, but want to get out and get into something else badly.
    02-11-13 10:54 AM
    Its on crackberrys main page as well as other tech news sources. I think bgr might have broken it first, not sure.

That's the way I see it too. I guess I'm into the trading scene right now as I learn. Huge swings with this stock. I also have shares in other stocks, but they don't move up and down like this one.
    02-11-13 10:55 AM
    Reading this thread, seems like a lot of people think BBRY is a stock you can make EASY money.
    THIS IS NOT THE CASE.
    Naive question: why is it "not the case" that investing in BBRY "can make easy money"?
    I mean, if BB10 phones are going to be good such that people would want to buy, as all metrics seem to indicate at the moment, then why can't investing in BBRY make money. I understand that it could go down, but why is it wrong to you if people think that it could go up? Maybe I misunderstood your post? Agree regarding the risks of investing in stocks.
    02-11-13 10:55 AM
    MobileIron announced support for BlackBerry10.. that might be causing today's correction?
    02-11-13 10:59 AM
    Don't worry I'm not betting my house on them. Only some cash I'm willing to say bye bye to if that happens.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-11-13 11:06 AM
    Is Heins on cnbc yet?
    02-11-13 11:11 AM
    pretty sure that was a rumour, havn't heard anything or read anything
    02-11-13 11:23 AM
    Naive question: why is it "not the case" that investing in BBRY "can make easy money"?
    I mean, if BB10 phones are going to be good such that people would want to buy, as all metrics seem to indicate at the moment, then why can't investing in BBRY make money. I understand that it could go down, but why is it wrong to you if people think that it could go up? Maybe I misunderstood your post? Agree regarding the risks of investing in stocks.
    Easy money and volatility don't go hand in hand.

This stock is off the charts and bounces up and down everyday regardless. Very few days do we get horizontal movement. This stock is not easy to read.
    02-11-13 11:24 AM
    THIS IS NOT THE CASE.[...] Don't invest money you can't afford to lose!
    ^THIS

I'm playing with very few shares just to learn. I definately can't afford to throw money out the window. I sure hope people are doing the right thing and not put themselves at risk. This is just for fun for me.
    and ^THIS

and ^THIS

Easy money and volatility don't go hand in hand.
    This stock is off the charts and bounces up and down everyday regardless. Very few days do we get horizontal movement. This stock is not easy to read.
    and ^THIS

All sum up in one of my grand'ma favorite sentence : "You must never forget to consider the worst ; that known, take your decision".
    It's been only a couple of pages since we've bee issuing these advices to new comers, this worth a "#sayitAgain".

That said, I believe most of those who joined "the gang" here are not traders and invest their money exactly as if BlackBerry was private, with a long term (3-5 years) perspective.
    So, daily trading is "for the show" while long term performance is what we expect for "the dough". I personnaly invested a few 100s, averaged at $10.5 and stick to the plan: hold.
    And if you ask me for a trigger, well, unless I really need this money back, there's little chance I push any button before we're in the $45 range. (<= this is a very personal statement, not an advice of any kind)
    arfin, bungaboy, bquinney and 1 others like this.
    02-11-13 11:46 AM
    I agree. It's not the time to be haulin numbers out. Leave that for the earnings release.
    02-11-13 11:53 AM
    I guess shorts have stopped shorting. Price is staying stable. Previously, all this fake selling (shorting) was keeping price down. But lately, price has started quickly bouncing back up from any dip. So, I guess, no more shorting going on.
    02-11-13 11:59 AM
    Don't blame the shorts. I don't think any recent activity is a short attack or fake selling. It is a volatile stock. As soon as there are no buyers, the price will fall. With the launch done and waiting on numbers and a big rise in the last few months, Buyer may be scare for a while so we may well consolidate or drop a little. Nothing wrong with that given where the stock was.
    02-11-13 12:12 PM
    This kind of thinking is why the first earnings report WILL NOT cause a short squeeze:

Just How Profitable Are BB10 Phone Sales For BlackBerry? | Technology | Minyanville's Wall Street
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-11-13 12:25 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    stay patient ... the stock will rise over time .. the product is selling extremely well! ... they are ramping up production!
    02-11-13 12:59 PM
    I've got to stop watching the ticker...
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-11-13 01:16 PM
    My Android app for Ameritrade was being flaky. Wanted to order when down 7% but couldn't.
    02-11-13 01:18 PM
    What do you mean by March $18 calls?
    Poster said:
    March 16 $18 calls for $0.56 by 1 cent

March 16 is the experation.
    $18 is the strike.

Can't explain options here, go google the topic and start reading. They can be confusing.
    austriker and lcjr like this.
    02-11-13 01:20 PM
    This kind of thinking is why the first earnings report WILL NOT cause a short squeeze:

Just How Profitable Are BB10 Phone Sales For BlackBerry? | Technology | Minyanville's Wall Street
    I must be stupid ... or ???

In other words, BBRY makes an immediate GP of $175, but loses $110 in future revenue. It’s also likely that the GP per phone will actually trend down over time, not up, as lower-end models are introduced to the market.
    Ok, basically, they make $65 GP more, isn't it ?
    So why ?
    The irony is that the more successful BBRY is at upgrading its customer base, the more revenue it will lose down the road.
    Nope, sir; the more they sell, the more they gain ...

and the final touch ...
    Remember also that BBRY must still run/maintain its network for legacy BBM and BES, so costs are not coming down in tandem with BIS revenue.
    Just cut the whole email infrastructure, won't renew a large part of the NOC, BBM don't use BIS w/ BB10, all this will reduce drastically bandwidth usage ... this guy has really no idea.

No, really ... I must be stupid ...
    02-11-13 01:28 PM
    The whole deal with VISA also sounds intriguing
    02-11-13 01:33 PM
    Lots of old news being re-plaed to bring this thing down. Who knows short interest numbers are leacked. It will be interesting move tomorrow as short interest nums sould be out today. If you observe Yahoo finances, headlines on media shorts trying so hard to bring it down, all old bad news replayed multiple times, good news rarely mentioned such as statement from phone4u, rogers, UAE results, z10 interest, etc.

Here is the statement from largest UAE dealor, says thousands of pre-orders. So we combine all these thousands from Canada, UK and UAE it will turn into millions shipped before Fed end which will hit in next quarter.

Faisal Al Bannai, CEO, Axiom Telecom, said “Z10 mania is gripping the UAE, and Axiom Telecom is ready and able to cope. We were among the first retailers in the region to sell this highly coveted new device. We had an explosive pre-order campaign, with thousands of Z10 orders logged in the UAE before February 10, and we have been reaching out to our customers through SMS, personal calls and home deliveries to ensure they are not kept waiting around. Having anticipated massive demand for the Z10, we are also well equipped to serve both online and walk-in customers who have not pre-booked.”
    Last edited by BBNation; 02-11-13 at 02:14 PM.
    02-11-13 01:56 PM
113,256 ... 183184185186187 ...