View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It might triple overnight but would die the next as all government agencies drop BB's due to chinese ownership.
    For sure, that's why droid is not in the most trusted gov agencies,lol.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 10:41 AM
    1. Chasing the stock
    2. Woot Woot

I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've thinking about it for a while. There are two things I'd like to say.

1. What's the opposite of trying to "catch a falling knife"?.... Trying to "hitch a ride on a rocket ship"?

2. I went long at 9.47 with a significant percentage of my total portfolio. Can I get a "Woot, woot!?!"
    Superfly_FR, Geeoff and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 10:43 AM
    I hope it continues to shoot up, but buying some puts or otherwise hedging or selling some to lock in some profits may not be a bad idea if you are severely overweight RIMM or will need this money at some point. Many seem to just assume it is going to keep going straight up. Margin calls can be brutal and is a very aggressive posture to be in. You have a tremendous profit, why not lock at least some of it in if you fit one of these profiles? If its play money, why not play with the houses money from here on out? I am reminded of the old axiom "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I hope this isn't the case and Good luck to all!!
    01-24-13 10:44 AM
    For all the margin people who need that 18 level

drummer_god and TomJasper like this.
    01-24-13 10:54 AM
    When I told my friend "don't even touch the sell button before $18" three months ago, the others around the table laughed at us.
    But finaly : He just (sell half of his (serious) position with 65% gain and) sent me a SMS to invite me & wife to the restaurant this week-end and party around .
    (btw, that means my investment is lowered by 1 restaurant, already lol)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-24-13 at 11:20 AM.
    01-24-13 10:55 AM
    For all the margin people who need that 18 level
    You'de better learn the #RIMDance !!! Officialy proven raise effect LOL

01-24-13 10:57 AM
    It might triple overnight but would die the next as all government agencies drop BB's due to chinese ownership.
    I agree. If RIMM went Chinese they better be going after the private consumer as the government and even major corps would not use them.
    01-24-13 10:58 AM
    I agree. If RIMM went Chinese they better be going after the private consumer as the government and even major corps would not use them.
    Mhhh ... maybe not if devices are not intended for N.A & Europe usage ... could be a well separated co-branding, with no FCC or Security approval, while core RIM devices have ...
    01-24-13 11:00 AM
    China is not stupid. If they wanted they could bug every Lenovo laptop on earth. No need as they have already stolen most of the information worth having.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 11:03 AM
    This is why the Chinese would NEVER get RIM's backend. Let them manufacture the handsets , I have no issue with that, would kill apple margins and bolster Blackberry 10 software.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 11:05 AM
    I'd like to see RIMM rally to 18.67 today just to hit that triple point on the Nasdaq.
    01-24-13 11:11 AM
    Agree...and why would they announce prior, it just raises the stock making it more expensive...

This is why the Chinese would NEVER get RIM's backend. Let them manufacture the handsets , I have no issue with that, would kill apple margins and bolster Blackberry 10 software.
    01-24-13 11:16 AM
    I'd like to see RIMM rally to 18.67 today just to hit that triple point on the Nasdaq.
    I would like to see it hit $18.67 cause I would make more money!
    drummer_god and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 11:18 AM
    China markets only sort of deal? Interesting. I think you nailed it Superfly, makes total sense and takes security out of the equation. That would give apple fits in China,lol. Brilliant!
    Mhhh ... maybe not if devices are not intended for N.A & Europe usage ... could be a well separated co-branding, with no FCC or Security approval, while core RIM devices have ...
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 11:19 AM
    China markets only sort of deal? Interesting. I think you nailed it Superfly, makes total sense and takes security out of the equation. That would give apple fits in China,lol. Brilliant!
    China, India, Asia, Africa, South America ... wherever low-end devices and smoother security constraints are the norm for general consumers ...
    These devices don't even have to be branded RIM nor Blackberry ... they could just be "compatible" and branded (silly example) "Lenovo Cherry" ... and ... boom.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 11:24 AM
    I like it, so how would you re-write the silly headlines to better reflect what might actually be going down. 15 words or less.

Secondly do you see an influx of cash in that type of deal being put to RIM's M2M future?
    China, India, Asia, Africa, South America ... wherever low-end devices and smoother security constraints are the norm for general consumers ...
    These devices don't even have to be branded RIM nor Blackberry ... they could just be "compatible" and branded (silly example) "RaspBerry" ... and ... boom.
    01-24-13 11:29 AM
    They don't have to announce. But they would have to file an intention to buy with SEC, which would raise quite a few eyebrows.

Agree...and why would they announce prior, it just raises the stock making it more expensive...
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-24-13 11:38 AM
    "RIM targets the low-end-mid-security market with a Renault-Dacia like strategy" ? That's 14

For your second question, well, I don't know. I believe "mobile platform" can lead to this ...
    01-24-13 11:40 AM
    Apple down over 10% so far today. Shorts being squeeeeeeeezed!

All is NOT well if you are an apple investor or short RIM

Oh, sweet irony!
    01-24-13 11:43 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but does that hold for co-branding/license deals also? Would think it falls out of that requirement?

They don't have to announce. But they would have to file an intention to buy with SEC, which would raise quite a few eyebrows.
    01-24-13 11:43 AM
    Now add Huawei ... lol, back on the takeover rumors ... buy me popcorn !
    Exclusive: Lenovo and Huawei are Top Contenders To Bid For RIM | The Gadget Masters
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    01-24-13 11:45 AM
    "RIM targets the low-end-mid-security market with a Renault-Dacia like strategy" ? That's 14

For your second question, well, I don't know. I believe "mobile platform" can lead to this ...
    Lol, gonna take the lazy media a few weeks to figure that headline out. Thinking they need to read Crackberry.com more often, in fact required reading,lol.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 11:46 AM
    Now add Huawei ... lol, back on the takeover rumors ... buy me popcorn !
    Exclusive: Lenovo and Huawei are Top Contenders To Bid For RIM | The Gadget Masters
    Oh boy,lol. Huawei is a four letter word to most,lol.
    "an anonymous source inside RIM"

Sorry don't buy that, just meant to muddy the waters with Huawei toxic security rep. Looks like the shorts called in some media friends markers ,lol. Silly games.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 11:48 AM
    I can't remember the exact details. But the jest is that if a company wants to purchase over certain % amount of common stock, they have to notify SEC ahead of time.
    Partnerships are not the same thing. SEC is only involved if it involves the markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that hold for co-branding/license deals also? Would think it falls out of that requirement?
    bungaboy and TomJasper like this.
    01-24-13 11:59 AM
    I hope it continues to shoot up, but buying some puts or otherwise hedging or selling some to lock in some profits may not be a bad idea if you are severely overweight RIMM or will need this money at some point. Many seem to just assume it is going to keep going straight up. You have a tremendous profit, why not lock at least some of it in if you fit one of these profiles?
    I've been thinking about this. On the one hand RIM has fabulous momentum, so I am loath to sell right now. On the other hand, RIM stock could be in a "buy the rumour, sell the news" phase. That means a pullback after January 30. Considering the run-up over the past few months a pull-back, or a least a pause, seems very likely. The trading price range chart posted earlier today on this thread was very, very helpful.

For myself, I prefer to be in a "buy and hold" position for now. There will be some pull-backs, but long-term it all depends on the reception to BB10, and so far it's been very positive. However, if rumours of disappointing sales start to surface, then I will need to rethink my investment.

As a footnote, I have a smallish portofolio. With the huge share price increase RIM has suddenly become a very large part of my portfolio. So I really need to watch out for any major drops in the share price!
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 12:02 PM
113,256 ... 102103104105106 ...