View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Millions of share are trading hands right now. It's only an hour into the market and there's already been almost 13.5 million shares traded.

Did something happen?
    01-08-13 09:29 AM
    only stocks on the nasdaq are available in real time online for free, canadian stocks are not.
    xe.com gives you the up to the moment currency exchange rates. TSX runs in sync with NASADAQ so if you know the exchange variance the US quote price will tell you what you need to know.
    01-08-13 09:29 AM
    Millions of share are trading hands right now. It's only an hour into the market and there's already been almost 13.5 million shares traded.

Did something happen?
    The price movement is crazy. It went all the way down to 11.75 and in a matter of minutes it jumped back up to 12.10. Now its back down again to 11.85
    01-08-13 09:38 AM
    If I was shorting RIMM, the spike that started at 9:50 this morning would have made me go:

Which is exactly why normal folks shouldn't short stock. All they had to do is wait a few minutes and they were OK. I doubt they panicked on such a small move. RIMM is just being traded now, looks like very few investors at this point. Whether is goes down or up significantly from around 12 is anybody's guess.
    01-08-13 09:46 AM
    Right now there's a lot of resistance around $12. Most small moves will get pushed back down pretty easily. A big mover would have to come in and push this above roughly $12.40 or so for it to pop. Typical traders do not have the volume available to accomplish this.
    01-08-13 09:52 AM
    To be fair, like 2% of the companies total shares were traded in the space of an hour. That just seems like a lot of market movement for practically zero news.
    01-08-13 09:55 AM
    There was a market rumour this morning that Carl Icahn was going to file a significant stake in RIMM. Unconfirmed of course.
    01-08-13 10:01 AM
    Maybe the Nokia India news had something to do with it ? Dunno.
    01-08-13 10:02 AM
    Well, etrade has an app that i used to use, they just never updated it. so I can't use it on my 9900, and to throw salt in a wound, I work in ag, so when you are on a tractor don't expect to be carrying a laptop. In my case my 9900 fits the bill. If I understand correctly Bthunderw, i download the stockwatch app and sign up and i should be good to go.

I don't short and especially not on RIM because I believe they are solid. Hardware looks good, software looks good, they are signing many new apps, now if they can get reps out there to kick away the negative sentiment from the uneducated sales reps we will be in to make some good money imo, also if they do a big advertising campaign. I just hope its not as big as a samsung and requires a kickstand, that will suck for me to put that in my pocket for my line of work.

I will buy when i see a dip then sell when it goes up. I was buying and selling in the $13 dollar range when i got the pinch, I bought at 14 and didn't put an auto sell in after it or i would have made some on its way into 15 which lasted like a minute. I sometimes trade after and pre hours as well. I started playing rim a day late because i I started when it was in the 13. stupid wiring transfer delay time or i would have been in at $11.
    01-08-13 10:19 AM
    Hypothetically let's say the launch is insane and rim truly shows off a phone that is a game changer. What do you guys think the stock will be at? I think immediately it'll climb to the $18-$20 range that day.
    01-08-13 02:35 PM
    Hypothetically let's say the launch is insane and rim truly shows off a phone that is a game changer. What do you guys think the stock will be at? I think immediately it'll climb to the $18-$20 range that day.
    My guess: $16 on launch. $25-$30 by June (after their June earning call), $75-$125 by Dec.
    BThunderW likes this.
    01-08-13 02:40 PM
    Agreed, sort of. You're not going to see a significant upward price move because of the announcements. In fact, you'll probably see a significant drop either just prior to 30th or right after.
    I'll probably sell half my position just before 30th and see what happens.

I do not think we'll see anything north of $30 this year, but you never know.

My guess: $16 on launch. $25-$30 by June (after their June earning call), $75-$125 by Dec.
    01-08-13 02:50 PM
    Agreed, sort of. You're not going to see a significant upward price move because of the announcements. In fact, you'll probably see a significant drop either just prior to 30th or right after.
    I'll probably sell half my position just before 30th and see what happens.

I do not think we'll see anything north of $30 this year, but you never know.
    So you don't think that more people will be excited about RIMM after launch?
    I am expecting that people will be amazed by BB10 and therefore would have more confidence in the stock. I am not a trader, so my logic could be flawed. Is it?
    01-08-13 03:34 PM
    I am expecting that people will be amazed by BB10 and therefore would have more confidence in the stock. I am not a trader, so my logic could be flawed. Is it?
    I am not a trader either. RIM is my first ever stock purchase. And I share your sentiment: I think the product is awesome. Once it's out, people are going to be amazed. Which will cause geometric increase in stock price, not linear. The stock market, I think, is not very logical either. Right now, RIM seems under-valued and if people start buying RIM products (and I am confident that they will), then RIM could go from under-valued to over-valued.
    So, $12 -> $25 -> $50 -> $100 all in 2013 is not unthinkable. But what do I know? I am a newbie!
    01-08-13 03:45 PM
    RIM price has nothing to do with how awesome their product is, it's how much money it's making. From now till launch price is driven 100% by speculation, also known as "hopium". What it also does is set unrealistic expectations from RIM that RIM can not possibly meet.

In the end, the only thing that will matter is how many of these phones RIM will sell, and how much profit it's going to bring RIM both short and long term. Everything else is irrelevant.

morganplus8 likes this.
    01-08-13 03:49 PM
    RIM price has nothing to do with how awesome their product is, it's how much money it's making. From now till launch price is driven 100% by speculation, also known as "hopium". What it also does is set unrealistic expectations from RIM that RIM can not possibly meet.

In the end, the only thing that will matter is how many of these phones RIM will sell, and how much profit it's going to bring RIM both short and long term. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Disagree with you on the significant price movement comment, but agree with you about the launch being driven, somewhat, by speculation. The thing you need to realize is that a majority of RIM short sellers are plain ignorant. Today's volume in the first half hour was a test by the MM to see if there were more buyers than sellers in RIM. The test was successful. We will likely see some major moves leading up to launch. As you say, we need to clear 12.40 on higher volume, then its anyone's guess from there. Keep in mind, book value of RIM is $18/share. RIM is about to announce further QNX deals with Delphi, Harman and Panasonic. These companies will also be providing demonstrations of these integrated systems built on QNX in the coming days!!! How's that for some more licensing $$$$$

GLTA
    01-08-13 07:46 PM
    It's all about price movement prior to launch, if the RIM price is driven too far upwards prior to launch, it'll correct. I expect the same thing to happen as the last few days before last ER and the big drop on the evening of. As the old saying goes "Buy on the Rumor, Sell on the News". If the price is high, people WILL profit take for sure, the extent of it though is anyones guess.

Remember, it's always better to be pleasantly surprised than grossly disappointed. Set your expectations low.

Disagree with you on the significant price movement comment, but agree with you about the launch being driven, somewhat, by speculation. The thing you need to realize is that a majority of RIM short sellers are plain ignorant. Today's volume in the first half hour was a test by the MM to see if there were more buyers than sellers in RIM. The test was successful. We will likely see some major moves leading up to launch. As you say, we need to clear 12.40 on higher volume, then its anyone's guess from there. Keep in mind, book value of RIM is $18/share. RIM is about to announce further QNX deals with Delphi, Harman and Panasonic. These companies will also be providing demonstrations of these integrated systems built on QNX in the coming days!!! How's that for some more licensing $$$$$

GLTA
    Last edited by BThunderW; 01-08-13 at 09:16 PM.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-08-13 07:57 PM
    [Technically, I might write something stupid]
    I must say I'm pretty impressed to see how stable the stock is until now. Waving around (most likely under) $12, with some very short up/down (short coverage/put, testing ?), then back to the horizon curve. Alike sales (being too big at launch), I believe an exaggerated raise could result in problems later. Little by little recovery would be my method of choice (synonym of strength / solid).

This was yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    01-09-13 01:36 AM
    Inspite of somewhat positive media coverage, the share just keeps going down and down.
    01-09-13 12:59 PM
    I can not wait to see the short numbers now...I bet they have increased yet again. It's the only way to create FAKE selling. Imagine selling something you don't own? You would be arrested but on Fraud Street it's considered legal. It's to bad you can not get up to the min short interests.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-09-13 01:16 PM
    One thing I've been trying to figure out - and maybe someone with more experience can help me here - is this daily pattern we see of gapping in pre-market, a bit more up after the market opens, then a steady drop until around noon.

What happens after noon is more variable -it's gone both ways - but for the last couple of weeks the pre-noon pattern has been the same. What causes that?
    To answer your question have a quick look at this chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-jan-9-2012-chart.jpg

You can clearly see that the stock has risen from the lows of September to where it is today, following a trendline. We are right back down to this trendline and everytime we hit this line, we go back up! This is computer driven trading and occurs when there is no news. The stock is trying to get above certain benchmarks, in this case, the 13-dma line and the stronger $ 12.18/shr horz. line. We open each day in Pre-market with the stock seeing if today is the day we breakout and start a new bull run. We try to open higher in the first hour, fail at resistance and drop back to support. For us, heavy support is at the uptrend line and that is where you step in and buy the stock, just like the computer models do. I just bought 10,000 more shares of the stock betting that the uptrend line will not only hold, but also that the stock will take another run at $ 12.18/shr very soon. I also believe that the trend is up from here and that the 13-day moving average will fall and we will go higher. I also believe that we are about to go on a very nice rally here and hit $ 16.00 by the end of this month. Today the volume is really weak, the selling is weak, the buyers are adsent at the moment but we should hold the lows of around $ 11.52/shr and move higher. Forget the moment on no news and ask yourself where would money want to buy this play? You buy on the uptrend line as a good first start. Let's see how it closes today.
    01-09-13 01:20 PM
    Why does RIMM continue to decline?

Idea floating around with the big institutional investors is that RIM's product will be delayed (supply chain issues) and that RIM will need to RAISE CAPITAL.

The thesis worries me...I could see Thorsten saying "See, we distributed a lot of volume by March 30 (which is bad, b/c it should be no later than 15 days post launch) and we will need to raise capital to build out more devices for people cause the demand is so strong."

From what we have seen to date, Thorsten would not pull this - that is the type of bs Mike and Jim would deliver.

The reason's I don't believe the "short thesis" is two fold: 1) If RIM needed to, they would have sold the new phones in 2012. This suggests they were always 'very close' to done; 2) When they chose to delay the launch, they would have had to factor in their cash position. I would like to think they knew they had enough cash to pay for this without a capital raise.

I continue to remain long and do not find the short thesis consistent with what we know...that being said, you never know with RIM's management.

By the way, their Investor Relations Department is awful.
    01-09-13 01:34 PM
    I just feel like I am getting kicked in the teeth. its almost 11.50. Maybe i should quite looking at it every 5 minutes
    plane6065 likes this.
    01-09-13 01:42 PM
    Just noticed the Pierre Feragu (Sr. Analyst, Bernstein) released a couple big reports re: Handsets. Probably said that RIM is screwed...let's see.
    01-09-13 01:45 PM
    *sigh*

Just typical RIM stock volatility, stop watching it. Come back in June.
    Superfly_FR and BBNation like this.
    01-09-13 02:09 PM
113,250 ... 6162636465 ...