View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hop on it! It has lost almost $2.50 per share! It could be the time to buy, but then I worry more about BB10 not working of them delaying the introduction or the BB10 devices. Still lots of room for something bad.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 12-21-12 at 11:06 AM.
    12-21-12 10:53 AM
    Nokia settlement might also play a factor.
    12-21-12 10:58 AM
    Whats going on...im getting worried down 11.26 and keeps going down. should i sell ?
    12-21-12 11:25 AM
    Just bought mar 2013 21 calls. Look how many have been traded. Someone knows something and has been scooping them up on the cheap.
    12-21-12 11:41 AM
    Makes sense. What may be cause for concern though is the level of free services offered by the competition. Any possible additional service revenue sources from RIM will have to be a step beyond the competition and that will be challenging (there have been some good ideas discussed on this forum such as leveraging the NOCs for automotive etc, just pointing out that they will have to innoate and execute well)

Watched Thor on CNBC . Thor said the transition of OS7 to BB10 will be one and a half to two years and that gives them time to move from OS 7 to BB10. RIM is not stopping with innovation or services and so services is not going to stop. It's a non-issue as this may not even effect RIM for another year and a half to two years and the market should only be looking six months ahead.
    12-21-12 11:43 AM
    Whats going on...im getting worried down 11.26 and keeps going down. should i sell ?
    its up to you. if you're only worried about short term gains and you bought your shares when it at its cheapest then sell. it's going to go up and down for a bit until bb10 is out on the market. until then it's still uncertain but you as a share holder need to know what you want. your either for the long term or short term. make your call and make your worries go away.
    12-21-12 12:32 PM
    Just bought mar 2013 21 calls. Look how many have been traded. Someone knows something and has been scooping them up on the cheap.
    For us not as advanced in trading, could you expand on this for us please? Thanks.
    12-21-12 12:43 PM
    Don't give into the long squeeze.

Right now the shorts who were sitting on over 100 million shares are trying to drive the stock down prior to the Jan 30th launch. They need to push down the stock value so that they can cover their position without incurring the huge losses had the stock continued to skyrocket. The earnings report was a nail in the coffin for short seller profitability during this period. It demonstrated that RIM has the right mindset and methodology to carry BB10 to the market. That scared people who've been expecting RIM to start to falter towards the launch. Thats why every analyst question during the earnings call was in regards to service revenue. RIM won't detail their service revenue tiers until they're ready to roll the platform out to the market, but because they wouldn't provide guidance in that regard it created the scare in the stock.

BBM voice and video over cellular data will obviously require additional fees. For the average consumer, these features mean higher BIS costs, but likely less than would be paid for a pure data plan.

I, for one, would gladly pay an additional $10 a month for unlimited BBM voice over cellular. I'd also pay an additional monthly service fee for unlimited BBM video chats.

These kind of value-added features should bring up RIM's overall service revenue, not decrease it.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    12-21-12 12:50 PM
    For us not as advanced in trading, could you expand on this for us please? Thanks.
    In VERY general terms, he has the right to buy shares for $21 per share. They come in blocks of 100 shares per contract. This right expires at the end of March. If at the end of March shares are worth more than $21 plus the costs of the options, he will have made money and has the right to buy shares trading at 21 + x for just 21. They are valued as a function of time and price and trade everyday so you don't have to wait until March to buy or sell your options. This is how I have made money on RIMM though I know the March 21 calls are not anything I would do. If RIMM surges it is a good way to cash in for less capital up front. Options are much cheaper to buy than the shares themselves so you can control more shares with much less money. If they are not worth 21 come the end of March they expire worthless and you loss your entire investment.
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-21-12 01:02 PM
    At 11.09 and dropping like a rock!
    12-21-12 01:04 PM
    You might be willing to pay more for services like BBM voice and video, but the majority of consumers are looking at how they can cut the cell bill not add to it. More and more I know people that are using the Pre-Paid type mobile services, because they are cheaper than most carrier plans these days. I'm talking people that could afford to pay more, but yet are still looking for the lowest cost.

BBM Voice and Video are gimmick right now, until they are offered on other platforms they have very limited use. Now if RIM had offered them four years ago when the had 80% of the smartphone business.....
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-21-12 01:08 PM
    Obviously your call and I don't know when you got in but I will tell you one of the biggest mistakes people make is buying at the top and selling at the bottom based upon emotion. For many new to buying RIMM in the last few months/weeks this could be the case and exactly what the big funds and trading houses hope you do. It can always go lower, but to me this seems like a bad day to be a Seller. YMMV!!!! Good luck.
    12-21-12 01:09 PM
    Call option - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tinomane is suggesting that there is an aggressive buyer of some specific variety of call options. A person buying a call option is betting the stock will go up, so he is suggesting someone thinks the stock will go up. His statement is either misinformed or incomplete. For each buyer there is a seller, and therefore you cannot assume buyers know more than sellers just because a large amount of a security is trading. You also cannot infer that someone thinks $21 is a sweet spot for the underlying stock.

Since, for options, the fair price depends on the current price of the underlying (ie RIM stock), you cannot simply say that option prices have gone up or down and therefore you cannot make a conclusion of whether buyers or sellers know more. A more sophisticated method might be to compute the implied volatility of the option and track it in a histogram, but most of the time, the illiquid nature of options makes this very difficult for an average retail investor. There are sophisticated libraries meant to facilitate this for professional traders and they are smarter than you.

I will reiterate my life-advice from before: get your investment advice from a licensed professional not CB forums.
    OMGitworks and TRlPPlN like this.
    12-21-12 01:12 PM
    You might be willing to pay more for services like BBM voice and video, but the majority of consumers are looking at how they can cut the cell bill not add to it. More and more I know people that are using the Pre-Paid type mobile services, because they are cheaper than most carrier plans these days. I'm talking people that could afford to pay more, but yet are still looking for the lowest cost.

BBM Voice and Video are gimmick right now, until they are offered on other platforms they have very limited use. Now if RIM had offered them four years ago when the had 80% of the smartphone business.....
    And those customers can get around the additional costs by choosing to only use those services via wifi for no additional cost to their monthly plan.

Either way, the consumer gets the same BBM features. But if they want to use them everywhere they have to pay for them.

I'd expect to see BBM Voice available as part of BB7 data packages by early Feb as they begin the BB10 roll out.
    12-21-12 01:15 PM
    Don't know if this news from today has been posted anywhere. My apologies if it has:

--Goldman Sachs has a Buy rating on RIM with a modified price target of $17.00 (from $16.00).--

StreetInsider.com - RIM (RIMM) Service Revenue Will Decline, Not Disappear Stresses Goldman
    12-21-12 02:31 PM
    RIM (RIMM) Service Revenue Will Decline, Not Disappear Stresses Goldman

Shares of RIM (NASDAQ: RIMM) declined this morning on fears related to changes in its service revenue model for BB10. Goldman Sachs believes the decline is a result of "misunderstanding". Analysts expect it to decline, not disappear.

"Importantly, we believe there may be a misunderstanding that as a result of the move to BB10, all of RIM's services revenues are at risk. Rather, we believe its current installed base will not be affected by the different BB10 pricing structure, though it will continue to be impacted by competition," said analyst Simona Jankowski.

New consumers who purchase a BB10 device are not likely to pay a service fee, but importantly, existing customer will. New enterprise subscribers would probably pay some level of service fee, though plans will be tiered and APRU could declined. New BB7 subscriber will pay service fees, noted the analyst report.

A second point worth noting is increased carrier support for BB10, seen by some on Wall Street as a trade-off for lower service fees.

"Importantly, RIM noted that BB10 is now in technical acceptance programs with over 150 carriers, up from 50 carriers about three months ago," said Jankowski.

Jankowski thinks there is a 30 percent probability of a "bull case" for Research In Motion. In this scenario, RIM stock would be worth $30 per share.

Goldman Sachs has a Buy rating on RIM with a modified price target of $17.00 (from $16.00).
    12-21-12 02:36 PM
    In a report published Friday, Goldman Sachs Group reiterated its Buy rating on Research In Motion Limited (NASDAQ: RIMM[FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), and slightly raised its price target from $16.00 to $17.00.

Goldman Sachs noted, “This was the second consecutive quarter that RIM exceeded Street expectations, primarily due to the Street under-estimating RIM's cost cuts and ASPs – consistent with our thesis. Device ASPs of $229 were above GS/consensus of $224/$216, gross margin of 31.6% was above GS/ consensus of 30.0%/27.9%, and operating margin of (6.4%) compared to GS/consensus at (4.7%)/(10.6%). In after-hours trading, the stock initially rose significantly but then fell back sharply during the Q&A as management commented on changes to its services revenue model on BB10 – though we view that as consistent with our estimate for a 22% decline in services revenue in FY14 (February). We lower our FY13/14/15 EPS estimates to ($1.02)/$0.12/($0.87) from ($0.99)/$0.20/($0.62) on higher opex, but maintain our Buy as we remain well above consensus for FY14, and have greater confidence into the BB10 launch given expanding carrier support and RIM's higher cash balance.”

Research In Motion Limited closed on Thursday at $14.12.

Read more: UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Reiterates Buy Rating, Raises PT on Research In Motion Limited | Benzinga
    zyben likes this.
    12-21-12 02:37 PM
    Don't give into the long squeeze. Right now the shorts who were sitting on over 100 million shares are trying to drive the stock down prior to the Jan 30th launch.
    But if shorts start covering their 100 million shares, shouldn't the price start going up again? It's only going down, not going up.
    Does this mean shorts have not started covering yet? If so, what are they waiting for? Are they waiting for price to go down even further? But how is that possible - a lot of people will simply hold on to stock now. The ones that were going to sell (out of fear of loss) must have sold already.

Sorry, I am very new to this trading so pardon my newbie questions!

Doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    12-21-12 02:48 PM
    This [Goldman Sacks article] didn't seem to be picked up by the other media yet. Stock at $11.02 right now. Great buying opportunity for those who missed the boat at $7.

Of course, this is only my opinion, not a recommendation. Do you own darn homework! :-)
    I'm buying more shares everytime it drops 5% more. My personal choice of course.
    Could someone recap what was going on today? - 22% drop. I bought at $12 in the morning. I thought it was bottom. but there was basement....
    12-21-12 03:08 PM
    Sold 25% of my shares at $14. Going to try and buy back at $10.
    12-21-12 03:12 PM
    Closing numbers:

NASDAQ: 10.91 (-3.21)
    TSX: 10.86 (-3.09)

23% decline on what any rational person would call good news given RIMs current situation. I would be surprised if it continued it's decline when markets open after Christmas.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-21-12 03:33 PM
    Can any of you more experienced individuals explain what happened in afterhours trading at 4:00 pm. It appears that there are a lot of activity at the 100 to 500 shares at approximately $10.85 and then 20,000 shares at $12.3349?

This is the link.
    12-21-12 03:44 PM
    Sounds like an Algo performing a trade. People don't typically trade in 1000th of a cent.

Can any of you more experienced individuals explain what happened in afterhours trading at 4:00 pm. It appears that there are a lot of activity at the 100 to 500 shares at approximately $10.85 and then 20,000 shares at $12.3349?

This is the link.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-21-12 04:13 PM
113,250 ... 5354555657 ...